Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - NU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm a newbie in Competitive battling, played up until third gen in the GBA. played in Pokemon showdown random battles only.

my question is: I want to create a team in NU tier in PS this means I can only pick pokemon in the Smogon B/W NU tier list yes?
You can use Pokemon that aren't in the Uber, OU, UU, RU, or any of the BL tiers. NU is the lowest tier so it has the largest banlist, but you can use all of the Pokemon on this list, as well as most of the NFEs (not fully evolved Pokemon).

But does it bacon?

Absol @ Leftovers
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Superpower
- Magic Coat

Standard SD Absol set with magic coat instead. Not necessarily a lead, but something to help with walls. I tested it and walls like weezing got their WoW bounced off back at them. They go for it again and I switch to my guts Gurrdurr to receive the guts boost. It works nice, but kinda gimmicky at times. Is it viable? Not to mention it shuts down Jumpluff and Amoonguss.

It does bacon. Though Lum Berry would generally accomplish the same thing, and you could either attack them or set up a swords dance on the sleep move and attack the next turn. Magic Coat doesnt accomplish that much

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Absol @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Superpower
- Magic Coat

Standard SD Absol set with magic coat instead. Not necessarily a lead, but something to help with walls. I tested it and walls like weezing got their WoW bounced off back at them. They go for it again and I switch to my guts Gurrdurr to receive the guts boost. It works nice, but kinda gimmicky at times. Is it viable? Not to mention it shuts down Jumpluff and Amoonguss.
I'd rather go with the standard set of Life Orb with Night Slash / Sucker Punch / Superpower / Filler Move (where Magic Coat could go). Magic Coat is useful in some cases but I'd rather just attack with unresisted coverage or boost up with Swords Dance. It's a nice surprise for Amoonguss (who might attack you instead of Sporing) but other than that it's rather situational. Next time this set should probably go in Project Neverused if you've tested it already.

Edit: RASERI NINJAMAN

Absol @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Superpower
- Magic Coat

i mean, it sometimes works for the surprise factor on things like amoonguss, but absol doesn't really want to take a hit anyway so it's a bit shaky and situational.
absol really needs sucker punch for those faster, frail threats that are running rampant in nu right now.

I'm new to NU. On the first team I've made I've noticed all of my mons are physical attackers except Probopass (who's there for hazards, obviously). What are your favorite special sweepers (perferably fast ones)? I know there's Haunter and Kadabra, but I'm a bit wary about using NFE pokes with low defenses that will be gone with one Sucker Punch.

I'm new to NU. On the first team I've made I've noticed all of my mons are physical attackers except Probopass (who's there for hazards, obviously). What are your favorite special sweepers (perferably fast ones)? I know there's Haunter and Kadabra, but I'm a bit wary about using NFE pokes with low defenses that will be gone with one Sucker Punch.
I'm a fan of Swanna and Gardevoir.

If you want bulkier options you could go with something like Mushara, Special samurrott won't die if you look at it funny, even special/mixed emboar is an option, Exeggutor/specs altaria/camerupt all have some bulk to them as well, even gardevoir can take special hits. Gorebyss can take a hit decent enough if it hasn't smashed yet (or you have white herb).

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
What Tribute said are all great options, Musharna is especially a beast. Rain Dance Ludicolo is a great sweeper, and the tank set is a threatening attacker, too. Charizard is there too, but Stealth Rock is everywhere. Swoobat is also a really strong option with Simple Calm Mind. It's still really frail, though.

Or, if you're afraid of Sucker Punch hitting your Haunter, you could use Substitute on it. Especially, SubDisable Haunter can beat most Sucker Punch users 1 vs. 1. But losing that badly to Cinccino really does suck.

Looking at the stats, it shows a different picture than I imagined at first. I'll ask anyway;

Is there a reason why Volbeat hasn't seen more usage?

To tell a story; Back in Gen4, I really enjoyed playing UU - As Gen5 arrived, I played a lot of "OU" (As the tiers wasn't really set yet). I took a long break as I started at a new school (After 9th grade - Gymnasium or whatever). Recently, I started playing again. I love the lower tiers, as OU is boring.. Yaddah yaddah.

I have made a few teams in NU to get to learn the meta. I feel I understand the meta to a decent level, but my knowledge of the tier is still lacking..

Onto the point!

A few days ago, on PO (Since PS was down), I battled a guy in UU that used Volbeat. My question is;

How viable would Volbeat be?

I'm thinking of using this set;

Volbeat (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Silver Wind

Y'know.. Silver Wind is for derp things, and I am unsure if Bold as a nature would help at all.. With 200 HP EVs, I reached 321 HP, leaving me with 1 HP after 4 subs.. I'm sure everyone knows this :c

I'm thinking of passing the Special Attack and Speed boosts to Octillery and find some proper team support for those two.

Should I use the spread I listed above, or change its nature to Timid and go 200 HP / 252 Speed / 56 Special Attack?

Volbeat (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Silver Wind

Y'know.. Silver Wind is for derp things, and I am unsure if Bold as a nature would help at all.. With 200 HP EVs, I reached 321 HP, leaving me with 1 HP after 4 subs.. I'm sure everyone knows this :c

I'm thinking of passing the Special Attack and Speed boosts to Octillery and find some proper team support for those two.

Should I use the spread I listed above, or change its nature to Timid and go 200 HP / 252 Speed / 56 Special Attack?
I would recommend using T-Wave over Silver Wind, as even with a Salac boost, Octillery only has 284 Speed and really could use the support. Silver Wind only has base 60, Volbeat's attacking stats are beyond pathetic, and there is only a 10% chance that a boost will occur, far from being even close to reliable.

Then keep the spread you have now, as investing Speed EVs when you have Prankster is pointless.

For team support, I recommend a Choice Scarf Sawk. Speedy electric types such as Ampharos or Zebstrika will stop you easily, and Sawk will be able to take them out. Sawk will also take out Lickilicky and Audino, who can provide an obstacle to your Octillery if it doesn't manage to get a Tail Glow passed to it. Basically Sawk is just a great Pokemon in general. You may be tempted to use Golurk, but keep in mind, every single speedy Electric type carries a move that does SE damage to Golurk, not so with Sawk.

All Taunt users will shut you down as well. Electrode, Lieopard, Misdreavus, Grumpig, and Skuntank. Sawk helps with many of these Pokemon as well, especially the 2 most common, Electrode and Skuntank. Misdreavus is another very real threat to you, Absol could help deal with that, as well as mesh pretty well with the rest of the team.

Volbeat, Octillery, Sawk, Absol.
Now a physical wall, perhaps Torkoal for spin and SR support, perhaps Musharna as a backup passer(can pass Calm Minds with ease).

A special wall, maybe Regice, who has 100 base SPA, so could also be a backup Tail Glow receiver.

Andddd you've got yourself a team, or at the very least a prototype team. Hope it helps.

Which speed modifiers are effecting the base power of Elektro Ball? I expect standard boosts to be considered, but what about paralyze, unburden and Choice Scarf?

Electro Ball is unique in that its power is determined based upon both the user's speed and the speed of the target. More damage is inflicted if the opponent is slower than the user. This isn't done via a specific calculation but has set amounts based upon the speed values.
Target Speed > 50% of User 60
Target Speed > 33% of User 80
Target Speed > 25% of User 120
Target Speed < 25% of User 150
Doesn't say anything really specific, but I'm assuming that anything affecting speed is going to be taken into consideration.

Can anyone give me a hard Counter to Copycat/Roar Riolu with Substitute?

I have a Samurott with Aqua Jet, and I have one pokemon with taunt, but obviously it just Roar's me away before I can use taunt, and Samurott gets worn down easily.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

I have a Samurott with Aqua Jet, and I have one pokemon with taunt, but obviously it just Roar's me away before I can use taunt, and Samurott gets worn down easily.
Techinally there are no counters to Copycat/Roar Riolu since you could just keep getting phazed around and never get out your counters. The best way is probably to keep the offensive momentum going and don't let the opponent get hazards up. Other Prankster users also stop Riolu quite nicely if they can get in safely. Honestly I haven't a single Copycat/Roar Riolu on the ladder so you don't have to worry too much about it.

I've fought against three today, and lost to them all.

First one ran: 3 hazard setters which meant getting that up was inevitable. When he switched in he subbed, roared, and Spammed copycat. I almost had him when my Samurotts AJ broke his sub, but then he just Copycat that and killed my guy who was at like 3% health.

Second one ran: Had a Gigalith and Garbador, set up one of each before I annihilated them both with Sawk. I went to spin but he had a Golurk which blocked it, I switched, and then he went to a Prankster Murkrow with T-Wave and Confuse Ray. Then He switched in Riolu and Copycat swept me.

Third one was able to set up SR, but my Braviary killed his Garbador, Whirlipede, and Shelmet. I would've killed the Riolu but this one was sashed, and roared him out and then copycat swept me.

I realize the higher I get, the less likely I'll encounter it, but I'm only a 1100-1200 guy, so I won't go too high and it's extremely frustrating to lose to what amounts to bullshit. My Team consists of two bulky set up sweepers and four HO attackers so it's not a lack of pressure on my end. I'm always either attacking or getting ready too, but I just can't get around that one BS tactic....

And unfortunately, Murkrow does not fit on my team and I'd hate to have to put a pokemon on that doesn't fit just to stop one cheap strategy.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You can try stuff like Magic Coat Bastiodon over your Stealth Rock setter, or use something with multi-hit moves while it is using Substitute. There are no "counters" per se, but how effective it is depends on how well you control the amount of hazards set on your field.

@A Fhaol Bhig: In theory, any faster priority user should be able to deal with Riolu. Samurott, Basculin, Swellow, Linoone...

If you want a hard counter, use Natu. It's not very good in general, but Riolu can't touch it.

Natu @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Spd / 96 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- U-turn

Pretty simple, really. It's basically a carbon copy of the onsite set, with the only differences being a faster/frailer EV spread, Light Clay and Psychic. The EV spread is for maximum speed, and enough SpA EVs to OHKO Riolu and 252/4 Garbodor with Psychic.

What Tribute said are all great options, Musharna is especially a beast. Rain Dance Ludicolo is a great sweeper, and the tank set is a threatening attacker, too. Charizard is there too, but Stealth Rock is everywhere. Swoobat is also a really strong option with Simple Calm Mind. It's still really frail, though.

Or, if you're afraid of Sucker Punch hitting your Haunter, you could use Substitute on it. Especially, SubDisable Haunter can beat most Sucker Punch users 1 vs. 1. But losing that badly to Cinccino really does suck.
I want to thank you for the Haunter suggestion. The set I use is essentially the SubDisable Gengar set, and it's worked wonders. It trolls the Normal types very well since they often have only one move that can hit Haunter. I've also added Harvest Exeggutor. I like its ability to switch into Water, Ground, and Fighting moves.

Doesn't Extremespeed have +2 priority?

extremespeed is definitely a hardstop to Riolu if an extremespeeder is able to get in. With its +2 priority it will force Riolu to Copycat that instead

Just thought id add that protect also messes this strategy up. When i used project against it, copycat failed which ended the chain of roars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)