Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've fallen in-love(in a way) with giving jynx choice scarf and using trick, is this a viable strategy? And if so could I get a move set that involves it
Scarf Jynx is a very good set. It usually runs Lovely Kiss | Ice Beam | Psyshock/Psychic | Trick/Focus Blast w/ a Timid nature

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Who are some noticeable Special Scarfers right about now? What benefits do they each have?
Typhlosion, Jynx, and Rotom (I guess Mesprit and some other things can be used, too). Typhlosion hits like a truck when near full with Eruption, being able to 2hko almost everything when hitting neutrally (although pokemon like Hariyama, Mantine, and other normal Typh checks can easily deal with it). It has a nice 100 base speed for a scarfer, so it should get the revenge killing job done, too. Jynx can sleep opponents and trick them, too, unlike Typhlosion, but they're both SR weak and Jynx has horrible physical bulk. Jynx hits decently hard, but unboosted scarfed attacks aren't going to be breaking through a ton of things although it still can fulfill the role of revenge killing well enough. Rotom has a nice typing that enables it to take fighting, ground, and normal hits and it gets volt switch, as a means of fast momentum generation, but it's not too powerful and not as fast as the other two (albeit not much slower), too. In addition, it isn't hitting nearly as hard, but it still has its uses. Overall, it really depends on team as for which you pick. Also, keep in mind that if you have enough priority (Kanga, Liepard, Gatr, etc.) or fast pokemon (Archeops, Tauros, Sneasel, Heliolisk, Virizion, etc.) and a decent defensive core or checks to the common threats, then a scarfer may not be necessary on your team.

Typhlosion, Jynx, and Rotom (I guess Mesprit and some other things can be used, too). Typhlosion hits like a truck when near full with Eruption, being able to 2hko almost everything when hitting neutrally (although pokemon like Hariyama, Mantine, and other normal Typh checks can easily deal with it). It has a nice 100 base speed for a scarfer, so it should get the revenge killing job done, too. Jynx can sleep opponents and trick them, too, unlike Typhlosion, but they're both SR weak and Jynx has horrible physical bulk. Jynx hits decently hard, but unboosted scarfed attacks aren't going to be breaking through a ton of things although it still can fulfill the role of revenge killing well enough. Rotom has a nice typing that enables it to take fighting, ground, and normal hits and it gets volt switch, as a means of fast momentum generation, but it's not too powerful and not as fast as the other two (albeit not much slower), too. In addition, it isn't hitting nearly as hard, but it still has its uses. Overall, it really depends on team as for which you pick. Also, keep in mind that if you have enough priority (Kanga, Liepard, Gatr, etc.) or fast pokemon (Archeops, Tauros, Sneasel, Heliolisk, Virizion, etc.) and a decent defensive core or checks to the common threats, then a scarfer may not be necessary on your team.
So Scrafers aren't always necessary? OK. Heliolisk sounds good, but would Scarf be a good option for him? Just to out speed everything?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So Scrafers aren't always necessary? OK. Heliolisk sounds good, but would Scarf be a good option for him? Just to out speed everything?
Scarf is not a good choice on Heliolisk because it's relatively weak without a boosting item. Life Orb is generally the best way to go with Helioisk to allow to switch up moves, utilizing it's great coverage movepool. Choice Specs are an ok choice for Heliolisk, but being locked into a Electric or Normal type move is pretty unfavorable.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Scarf is not a good choice on Heliolisk because it's relatively weak without a boosting item. Life Orb is generally the best way to go with Helioisk to allow to switch up moves, utilizing it's great coverage movepool. Choice Specs are an ok choice for Heliolisk, but being locked into a Electric or Normal type move is pretty unfavorable.
Scarf Heliolisk isn't a particularly bad option, since it is stronger and faster than Rotom and its Volt Switch isn't easily stopped considering its coverage movepool with which it can easily threaten Ground-types with (while Scarf Rotom is pretty hard stopped by both Ground-type Megas right now). In fact Scarf Heliolisk already covers two of Scarf Pyroar's most notable traits: a fast and strong Hyper Voice to pierce Subs with, and it can revenge kill Scarf Scyther. Meanwhile it has way better pivoting ability than Pyroar due to its SR neutrality + Dry Skin. I also expect Scarf Heliolisk to pop up in number considerably once the Sheer Force Gatr is unleashed upon us.

So i'm needing a spinner, and want to use one my favorite pokemon, claydol. can i ask what makes him a C on the viabilty rating? what is it that makes him so not good

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
He's a B on the viability rankings, and tbh when I'm building a team for myself I wouldn't feel bad about using anything B and above. So if you ask 'why is he bad' then it's not a fair question: he's not terrible! He doesn't really do well spinning because he gets immediately threatened by the offensive Ghost-types (the easiest spinblockers to fit on a team), and can't really touch them for much. I think B- is the kind of hazy line where people will disagree, or it's good mon objectively but just stuck at the moment because meta is very unfavorable vs. it or there's a much better alternative (like Klinklang, Pawniard etc.)

And even if it's low on the viability ratings if you really believe something actually plugs the holes that you want near-perfectly you should consider it a real possibility. Of course pick something better that checks the same stuff if it exists, but sometimes it doesn't. (And I honestly think viability rankings should reflect this niche factor, ranking bad mons higher than their 'objective goodness', whatever that means, if they do indeed give you coverage on a unique combination of good Pokemon that you can't get with something standard but that's left better to the viability rankings thread itself) ATM I'm using something that's very low on viability ratings but it's been serving me well because of the unique combinations of the things it checks. As long as if you aren't using something low on the viability ratings for the sake of 'being hipster', you're good.

Last edited:
After the Steelixite/Heliolisk vote, will the stage 4 thread still be up (for general discussion of the meta) or will a new thread be opened to discuss the aftermath of the vote?

I recently built an NU team but Showdown wouldn't let me use some parts of it. It wouldn't let me use water gem Kingler and flare boost Drifblim with Air Cutter. Why does this happen? WHy is Air cutter incompatible and water gem unreleased?

None of the gems are available in gen VI besides Normal Gem, so you can't use them in a game
Drifblim only learns Air Cutter through a gen IV tutor, and Flare Boost is Drifblim's hidden ability meaning it's incompatable with all moves that are exclusive to pre-Gen V.

None of the gems are available in gen VI besides Normal Gem, so you can't use them in a game
Drifblim only learns Air Cutter through a gen IV tutor, and Flare Boost is Drifblim's hidden ability meaning it's incompatable with all moves that are exclusive to pre-Gen V.

Iirc fairy gem is available

Fairy Gem is programmed into the game's code (just like every other type of gem) but there's no event in the game that allows you to obtain it

After the Steelixite/Heliolisk vote, will the stage 4 thread still be up (for general discussion of the meta) or will a new thread be opened to discuss the aftermath of the vote?
If the metagame doesnt change, we will use the same thread. If the metagame changes, a new thread will be opened

Pangoro once nu , now RU and apparently is leaving RU too. What do you think of the viability of its pre evolution: ¨Pancham¨. Im thinking a set with parting shot could be viable, but im not sure how strong would it be

Sheer force Feraligatr was released today as a hidden ability, when do you think the staff will be able to input it to showdown?

Question on two of the three Johto Starters: Is Flash Fire on Typhlosion and/or Leaf Guard on Meganium viable in NU? Or should I just stick with Blaze and Overgrow?

Flash Fire hilariously allows Typhlosion to check itself as well as other Fire types, however one of the biggest perks of Typhlosion is hitting hard even when at low healt thanks to Blaze Fire Blast, so if your team needs a secondary check to Fire types(never run Typh as your primary check though, it's pretty unreliable at the job) choose Flash Fire, while if you don't have issues with Fire types go with Blaze.

As for Meganium, it's bad and should never be used no matter what abilities. Even Tangela is a better choice than it for a bulky Grass type.

Flash Fire hilariously allows Typhlosion to check itself as well as other Fire types, however one of the biggest perks of Typhlosion is hitting hard even when at low healt thanks to Blaze Fire Blast, so if your team needs a secondary check to Fire types(never run Typh as your primary check though, it's pretty unreliable at the job) choose Flash Fire, while if you don't have issues with Fire types go with Blaze.

As for Meganium, it's bad and should never be used no matter what abilities. Even Tangela is a better choice than it for a bulky Grass type.
I used meganium nce and i remember she is a good mixed wall, she takes special hits better than tangela and has the niche of Aromatherapy to help the team get irid of status.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)