Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: PU Edition

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
how good is Trick Room in PU?
full trick room teams aren't great, but they can work. the tier also gained some slow wallbreakers that take advantage of trick room, like exeggutor (that can set its own trick room) and perrserker. in general though, other offensive playstyles, like spikestack, or just one trick room sweeper (like musharna and beheyeem) work much better.

full trick room teams aren't great, but they can work. the tier also gained some slow wallbreakers that take advantage of trick room, like exeggutor (that can set its own trick room) and perrserker. in general though, other offensive playstyles, like spikestack, or just one trick room sweeper (like musharna and beheyeem) work much better.
Alright. It's just that I want to use Dusknoir but I'm not sure if to use him in TR or not. Also, I apologize if I can't respond with another question but do you think this set would work? I'm gonna try to keep my thought process on this set brief.

The idea behind it is just being a bulky CB user with, ofc, Poltergeist. Darkest Lariat is there to substitute Poltergeist when the opponent consumes an item or is a Normal-type. Earthquake is for coverage, I was at first considering Ice Punch but I think EQ's a better idea. Trick is just to gimp a pokemon with CB. 252 HP to try to circumvent the crippling HP stat Dusknoir has, 252 to boost the Attack and the extra 4 I wasn't sure where to throw it in. Defense or Special Defense seems good enough, I guess. I was considering maybe splitting the extra 256 in 3 ways (Attack, Defense and Special Defense, of course).
I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to PU so I'm not sure if it's good or if it should be overhauled. I'm not sure what Pokemon would go with it either so...yeah. I'd really appreciate anybody's thoughts on this and perhaps some suggestions to build a team around a non-TR CB Noir

Dusknoir @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Darkest Lariat
- Earthquake
- Trick

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Why isn’t an Octolock set common (or viable, if that turns out to be the case) on Grapploct?
I would say it's only consistently effective vs stall. There are situations where trapping and setting up vs things on balance like Stunfisk is fine, but overall having the coverage of Brutal Swing to break through Psychics like Musharna, and Sucker Punch to be able to have a better offense match up most of the time works out better for you. So Octolock isn't common because it only does it's job very consistently vs one archetype.

Why is Greedent not within PU. It annilihates all the pokemon in PU with its belly drum set up, is totally viable, it can sweep within one turn due to sitrus, and cheeked pouch. It has dynamax, can tank small damage and still get put to 100% due to Cheeked Pouch giving 1/3 of max hp. Max quake also gives it more bulk to suffice for somewhat low defense. It is literally busted within PU. I personally think it could be a viable pokemon in RU.

(I have tested it in tiers above, and it sufficies in both NU and RU, and within UU, it has niche, which could allow it to be a bottom tier UU. In OU, and Ubers. It would not be viable.)

picture below is from OU/ubers

Attachments

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Why is Greedent not within PU. It annilihates all the pokemon in PU with its belly drum set up, is totally viable, it can sweep within one turn due to sitrus, and cheeked pouch. It has dynamax, can tank small damage and still get put to 100% due to Cheeked Pouch giving 1/3 of max hp. Max quake also gives it more bulk to suffice for somewhat low defense. It is literally busted within PU. I personally think it could be a viable pokemon in RU.

(I have tested it in tiers above, and it sufficies in both NU and RU, and within UU, it has niche, which could allow it to be a bottom tier UU. In OU, and Ubers. It would not be viable.)

(Just as a heads up Dynamax is banned in this tier and all the tiers you mentioned bar Ubers.) Greedent struggles to get it's set up going with how little it forces out at +0 and not being as bulky as it may seem. The speed tier it has is also very poor, so if you do find the opportunity to set up, Pokemon like Throh, Mr. Rime with Focus Blast, Perrserker, and many others come in to revenge you and don't care if you're at +6. It's just not very consistent and isn't used very often because we now have more consistent set up sweepers/breakers than ever before.

greedent is not pu simply because it doesn't get enough ladder usage in pu, it faces a lot of competition from superior normal-types such as stoutland and lickilicky, and its only niche over them is its low speed that lets it be more workable on full trick room teams, when trick room isn't really a great archetype in pu to begin with. i'd definitely give these two a try, but hey, if you enjoy using it and it brings you good results on ladder, don't let me stop you.

also, potential viability in higher tiers doesn't necessarily correlate with viability in a lower tier like pu and therefore arguments about it doesn't hold much water in discussion regarding pu; case in point, last generation houndoom and tangela were considered viable in ru but had no niche in nu.

(Specs stop sniping me :mad:)

If I wanted to see if a moveset is viable(for example, Delibird), do I ask the question on the simple questions simple answers thread for the tier the Pokemon is in?

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
If I wanted to see if a moveset is viable(for example, Delibird), do I ask the question on the simple questions simple answers thread for the tier the Pokemon is in?
Generally asking a question like this would be better in either the PU room on Pokemon Showdown! or in the PU Discord server but afaik it's alright to ask in SQSA.

As for Delibird, it's generally not a good pick at all as there are better Flying-types and Ice-types in the tier, so pretty much any set will probably be unviable. I would recommend looking at Unfezant as a Flying-type replacement and Mr. Rime or Glaceon as an Ice-type replacement.

I've heard Galarian Mr Mime has been surging recently due to Klinklang being so prevalent. Why is this? What about Klinklang makes Galarian Mr Mime good, especially when it's usually been outclassed by Mr Rime?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)