Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I may run into other people from this website at whatever event I end up going to...

How do you pronounce "Smogon"?
I highly doubt that anyone will be offended if you pronounce it incorrectly, but the most commonly accepted pronunciation is "Smo-gon", with the first syllable sounding like the beginning of the word "smoke" and the last syllable sounding like the ending of the word "pentagon".

Since the strategy is only viable in double battles and everywhere else focuses on single battles, does pure power (like huge power) not work once it is switched to another pokemon, or could I theoretically pass it through different pokemon to get it onto a slaking?

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Since the strategy is only viable in double battles and everywhere else focuses on single battles, does pure power (like huge power) not work once it is switched to another pokemon, or could I theoretically pass it through different pokemon to get it onto a slaking?
You could get it onto a slaking yes.

Hey guys, how common do you think Dark Void will be?
Pretty much every Trick Room Smeargle, imo, is going to run it. Scarf Smeargles will also run it, as will "Chalkey's Smeargle" that chalkey used last year will, and of course NEVERMISSOHKO-Smeargle. In conclusion, unless Smeargle has good reason not to, it WILL use Dark Void.

Pretty much every Trick Room Smeargle, imo, is going to run it. Scarf Smeargles will also run it, as will "Chalkey's Smeargle" that chalkey used last year will, and of course NEVERMISSOHKO-Smeargle. In conclusion, unless Smeargle has good reason not to, it WILL use Dark Void.
Thanks. Do you think Smeargle will be very common?

I'm pretty sure that Pure Power's boost is cut to 50% when when it's Skill Swapped but Huge Power's isn't.

Alright so I don't really want to reveal my team at the moment, but I'd like to know what is the most effective set for a kyogre when not being used as a lead. For example: Leading with two leads to eliminate anything that could prevent kyogres rain from coming, and then bringing in Kyogre after thats been done. I was thinking a scarfed kyogre, but then shedinja can basically come in and setup.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Alright so I don't really want to reveal my team at the moment, but I'd like to know what is the most effective set for a kyogre when not being used as a lead. For example: Leading with two leads to eliminate anything that could prevent kyogres rain from coming, and then bringing in Kyogre after thats been done. I was thinking a scarfed kyogre, but then shedinja can basically come in and setup.
In the back?

Kyogre @ Wacan Berry
Surf
Ice Beam
Protect
Thunder

Other moves you can look at: Hydro Pump, Muddy Water, Water Spout, AncientPower (to deal with Shedinja), and HP Flying/Signal Beam; these are all options if you're desperate for something supereffective against Toxicroak and/or Ludicolo.

Could someone give me some idea of what a TR smeargle lead should look like? I figure it's brave with fake-out, dark void, filler, filler, but I'm not sure how close that is to reality, and I'm not sure what his EVs should look like.

EDIT: also, I'm obviously new to this, and I was wondering what sorts of leads I should most be prepared for.

Thanks in advance!

Well, Rotom-h + Groudon is an amazing combo imho.
Rotom-h gets boosted Overheat and can spam discharge, while groudon is free to use earthquake and rock slide etc.
But since you can't test them in wifi (without codes) I don't think it will be that common ;)

I'm actually considering using Rotom-C, because with max special attack and Expert Belt, Leaf Storm OHKOs max HP Groudon most of the time and Thunder OHKOs min HP Kyogre virtually all the time.

I'd like to get someone's opinion on something.

Now it'll cost me quite a bit of money to get to any of the Qualifiers.

Now, would it be better for me to wait a year, and get better? Or to go this year?

If I go next year, I could start a league under the guise of promoting the Pokémon TCG first and foremost, but instead being a VG league.

My major worry is that next year is most likely going to be 5th gen, and I'm not sure whether I have the motivation to learn yet another metagame.

Could someone give me some idea of what a TR smeargle lead should look like? I figure it's brave with fake-out, dark void, filler, filler, but I'm not sure how close that is to reality, and I'm not sure what his EVs should look like.

EDIT: also, I'm obviously new to this, and I was wondering what sorts of leads I should most be prepared for.

Thanks in advance!
Smeargle is absolutely something you should be prepared for. Ever since I battled a member here I've been making sure my leads accomadate for it. ;P

Standard Smeargle tends to resemble this:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Dark Void
Fake Out
Endeavor / Follow Me
Super Fang / Follow Me

I've seen more and more with Super Fang, which is a very powerful move for Smeargle to have. Typically Follow Me is used as well to make sure you don't attack the TR set-up (Dialga or otherwise).

If that's the case, kill the Smeargle and proceed to counter the TR. It might Dark Void too, so to counter that, Lum Berry/Chesto Berry on a lead if you see it coming.

Hopefully that answers your question. :]

I'm pretty sure both Pure and Huge Powers change to 50% bonus once Skill Swapped.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
does anybody know how follow me affects charge moves like shadow force and solar beam? Shouldyou use it on the charge phase or attack phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)