Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Huge Power and Pure Power double the Attack State, so it gives your Attrack a bonus of a 100%
I'm pretty sure both Pure and Huge Powers change to 50% bonus once Skill Swapped.
Huge Power doubles the user's attack stat.
If this ability is skill swapped, copied with role play or traced, the effect is halved, boosting the Attack stat only by a 1.5x multiplier and not doubling. This is the only difference from the similar ability, Pure Power.

So I have this Flawless Ditto from GM. I breeded it with my Skarmory. This is what I got.

Skarmory - #227 (Lonely)
1/29/19/31/28/31

Stats are looking good. First time breeding it with a Flawless Ditto. I want to understand the mechanics of breeding. Where is the HP coming from, obviously the skarmory. How do I come across having higher HP now? Do i breed this almost perfect Skarmory with Ditto? Is it random I got those number or its how I placed Flawless ditto first into day care and skarmory last. Is there a concrete article on this? I would love to read it. :)

So I have this Flawless Ditto from GM. I breeded it with my Skarmory. This is what I got.

Skarmory - #227 (Lonely)
1/29/19/31/28/31

Stats are looking good. First time breeding it with a Flawless Ditto. I want to understand the mechanics of breeding. Where is the HP coming from, obviously the skarmory. How do I come across having higher HP now? Do i breed this almost perfect Skarmory with Ditto? Is it random I got those number or its how I placed Flawless ditto first into day care and skarmory last. Is there a concrete article on this? I would love to read it. :)
try this. The HP iv is either from your skarmory or random, as only 2-3 ivs are taken from parents usually. Just keep breeding and your new skarm will have a few ivs inherited and hopefully a couple random ones that are high

I want to use a sunny day team for the vgc. Do you think that Groudon and Ho-Oh coul make a good lead? Groudon unleashing STABed eq and Ho-Oh unleashing boosted STABed sacred fire.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
I want to use a sunny day team for the vgc. Do you think that Groudon and Ho-Oh coul make a good lead? Groudon unleashing STABed eq and Ho-Oh unleashing boosted STABed sacred fire.
I don't see why not, but remember one thing - Kyogre in the back can switch in, disrupt your weather and neuter Sacred Fire, and an Uber that knows Surf (ie Palkia) will smack both Groudon and Ho-oh with it.

If nothing else, I will say this: if you want to use it, experiment with it.

I don't see why not, but remember one thing - Kyogre in the back can switch in, disrupt your weather and neuter Sacred Fire, and an Uber that knows Surf (ie Palkia) will smack both Groudon and Ho-oh with it.

If nothing else, I will say this: if you want to use it, experiment with it.
Thanks for the advice, I'll think about it.

What do you guys think of running Speed IVs of 1-2 on a TR team as an anti-metagame measure? Basically my idea is that the stats are still low enough that I outspeed most teams under TR, but in the mirror I can try to stop TR from going up, and then all of my pokes (especially the ubers) are faster than the opposition.

I haven't tested this yet, but it seems like it might work. Any opinions?

What do you guys think of running Speed IVs of 1-2 on a TR team as an anti-metagame measure? Basically my idea is that the stats are still low enough that I outspeed most teams under TR, but in the mirror I can try to stop TR from going up, and then all of my pokes (especially the ubers) are faster than the opposition.

I haven't tested this yet, but it seems like it might work. Any opinions?
The thing is (and im not sure if this applies to everyone) if you face an RNGed TR team, most of the spreads come out to having a 2 speed IV, for special at least (check out the TR Special spreadsheet). Of course, just go for a little more speed, but that might go past the speed of a normal TR speed IV.

The thing is (and im not sure if this applies to everyone) if you face an RNGed TR team, most of the spreads come out to having a 2 speed IV, for special at least (check out the TR Special spreadsheet). Of course, just go for a little more speed, but that might go past the speed of a normal TR speed IV.
The reason why people would run a 2 or 3 in speed for TR Special spreads, is because you need a 2 or 3 to get a 70 BP Hidden power. The Uber pokes are less likely to run the 2 or 3 in speed because they are less likely to need the hidden power.

Of course, you can use 1-3 IV Pokes, if you are not playing Trickroom. But imo that's just usefull on Pokemon, that are naturally slow, like Tyranitar, Metagross (don't give Aboma more than 0 Speed IV, since then, it is faster than Tyranitar, if TR is absent). Though, a Dialga with 2 Spe IV won't outspeed anything in trick room, since 90 is the maximal speed base TR Pokes have.

What would a standard TR-lead Dialga look like? Assuming I have Fake Out/Follow Me Support, that is... Full set if possible, including the most viable items, IVs (IF there is anything I have to particularily care about - like a Speed IV of exactly 1 or something along those lines) and Ev spread. I unfortunately don't know too much aubout the VGC-Ubers yet xP
Thanks!

Jo Void,

try max HP / max SpA with a quiet nature and 0 speed IVs

Dragon move
Fire move
Trick Room
Protect

is your safest bet. What moves you choose depends on if you want power or consistency

edit: you might want to forego protect for another move but thats up to personal preference I guess

Thanks for the quick reply, druggy ;)
Since I'm not the risky kind of battler, I'll probably go with DP and FT, but just to be sure - are there any important VGC2010-threats that are OHKO'd by FB but not by FT? Haven't played in ages, so I kinda need to relearn my calcs xDD
I don't care if it's a change between 3HKO and 2HKO - after all it's not like Dialga will be my last Pokémon standing.

And I suppose Lum Berry would be good? Or should I take a risk and use something like Shuca Berry, taking slightly higher risks when facing stuff like DV-Smeargle?

the item choice is obviously important, but it depents on your partner etc.
Lum berry is there, if you are really frightened by the threat of dv smeargle. Shucka berry isn't that good imo, since eq is 0.75 and low kick / Aurasphere is such a threat, so I would use chople berry, maybe alongside a partner with lum.
sadly, I don't know if FBlast > FT :D

Hm, I think you are right, Chople would help a lot against the likes of Mewtwo and some others - though I'll probably just Fake Out those, since I fear Taunt anyway =/ I'll look into that a bit more, though ^^
IMO I've covered the threat of DV Smeargle pretty well, so currently I'm actually thinking about some fancy alternatives like White Herb w/ Meteor over DP... Gotta do a few calcs on that, though =P (Don't think I will actually go for it lol)

I recently discovered the move Imprison. Would an Azelf with Imprison/Explosion/Protect/Grass Knot be useful, on a team with Kyogre/Palkia/Abomasnow?

Grass Knot against Groudon, 252 HP/252 SpD +SpD nature: 54.1% - 64.7%
Grass Knot against Groudon, 252 HP: 77.3% - 91.8%

Then my Kyogre gets the KO with Blizzard, with me switching in Abomasnow. Or maybe I'll just explode with Azelf that turn.

I'm just going on and on at this point, so thoughts?

*EDIT* Just to be 100% sure, as an afterthought, how does Magic Coat work regarding multi-target moves? Does it reflect all of Dark Void, or just the effect against the user? I'm assuming the latter.

About Magic Coat, you are assuming correctly.
If, for example, an opposing Smeargle uses Dark Void and you Coat that, only Smeargle gets hit but not its partner =)
/E: And your partner Pokémon would still get hit, so you'd need Protect, a Chesto/Lum Berry or someting along those lines

How well would this work for two leads....

1. Any Pokemon with "Follow Me" or "Protect"
2. Max Atk, Choice Band, LickiLicky with Explosion

Or this.

1. Machamp-NoGuard with Protect & DynamicPunch (He can't learn Fake Out ;.;)
2. Choice Scarfed Poke w/OHKO Move (Preferrably Sheer Cold)

Going to VGC to obtain shiny Eevees. I might enter if not just to be someone else's "Glass Joe". Who knows, this is so stupid it might work. But I want to see the opinions of other Smogoners.

Personally, I think that any set involving Lickilicky should involve Swords Dance, Custap Berry, and Explosion. You're likely to run into someone who double protects first turn, and wasting your Lickilicky.

As to choice items, I personally am against their use in doubles. Though I suppose OHKO moves could work paired with No Guard.

Actually, that strategy amuses me very greatly. Though it seems a bit ironic, what with your sig.

Oh, and we're Smogonites, not Smogoners. Perhaps just call us Smogon Knights.

*shot*

Or this.

Going to VGC to obtain shiny Eevees. I might enter if not just to be someone else's "Glass Joe". Who knows, this is so stupid it might work. But I want to see the opinions of other Smogoners.
Well, the first one COULD work if somehow Lickylicky survives to explode. However, OHKO moves suck in general due to a horrible 30% accuracy, and 1) it's not reliable 2) if you're lucky enough to pull it off, you'd only be pissing off other people. The only time anyone should be using OHKO moves are for Mind Reader Articuno and NEVERMISSOHKO Smeargle :P

Or this.

NoGuard only works for pokes targetting Machamp, or that Machamp is targetting. So if you wanted a 100% accurate Sheer Cold, you'd want to put mimic on the Machamp.

Or Skill Swap its No Guard onto something with the OHKO move.

You could use Imprison/Protect to ensure Lickilicky hits; or even Feint. Of course, Ghosts (and Detectors) are still a problem.

Mimic Machamp... Hmmm...

So I've looked at the list of things that get Skill Swap, and their abilities. I have to say, I'm not very impressed.

Yet I believe the move Role Play may have some potential. The only things of consequence that seem to get it are Abomasnow and Mewtwo, though. Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)