Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Question:is random battle/unrated random battle really random?

the thing is i see many pokemon repeated for example i see spirtomb a lot and if it was just as simple as a 1-710 roll then the chances of seeing that pokemon should not be as high as it actually is

so is it truely random or is some system in play?
Random battles aren't fully random, but they do make a random team of 6 using fully evolved Pokemon (you used to be able to get LC & NFE mons) & the movesets are selected from a pool of generally viable moves for the mon (some moves will be on the mon's set no matter what like King Shield Aegi). This makes the chances of getting a Pokemon around 1/400 so its probably just your luck making you see Spiritomb a lot.
A more random format is Challenge Cup, where teams, abilities, moves & held items are randomized as to what is legal on them. Another step further gives you Hackmons Cup, where anything, legal or illegal can happen.

Why can't I give Pokemon moves & abilities that they don't naturally have in AG?
AG is a format that had no imposed rules except for endless battle clause, but still follows in-game restrictions. This even includes stuff like only being able to mega one Pokemon per match and not allowing unreleased hidden abilities. Hackmons is what you're thinking of, where illegal movesets and abilities are allowed.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/balancedhackmons-459902341

It seems to me like Sturdy and Focus Sash are not interacting properly. In this replay, Aerilate M-Rayquaza attacks Sturdy Shedinja, which breaks its Focus Sash. However, if my understanding of Sturdy is correct, it should activate first, meaning that the Focus Sash should not be broken until Mold Breaker M-Gyarados attacks, ignoring Sturdy.

Am I misunderstanding?

Hey it's me Mawwy

Can there please be like a thread description added,
often times I find myself posting and the thread owner says this is not the place
Even though the thread title calms otherwise...

I'm very sorry to bother you all,
It's just this is my first time on Smogon it's hard to post and get settled in because it's not very newcomer friendly here. I'm sorry I just need a bit of help with this...

I was just hoping someone could show me the ropes...

churine

lunatic+
Hey it's me Mawwy

often times I find myself posting and the thread owner says this is not the place

It's just this is my first time on Smogon it's hard to post and get settled in because it's not very newcomer friendly here. I'm sorry I just need a bit of help with this...

Welcome to Smogon! Even though this isn't the introduction thread, you should try taking a look around at the Introduction Hub & this thread. My advice to you is to just lurk around see how others post, mainly to get an idea of how you should post & be comfortable on here.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey it's me Mawwy

You may get a better answer to Smogon and Smogon forums related questions/suggestions in the Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions thread. This is more geared towards questions about Pokemon Showdown, the battle simulator.

But to give an answer: More often than not, if the name of the thread isn't good enough of an indication of what to post, the OP (Post #1 of the thread) is usually a good indication of whether or not what you wanted to post is OK to post there. And if you hover over the name of the thread from the forum menu, it shows you the first part (if not all) of the OP.

e: sniped by Elec.

How do users get custom avatars on Main? I know on other servers you can buy them with the server currency, but here, I still see some users with them and I don't have a clue how I can possibly get one. :(
I dont exactly know, but in one contest i saw you could win one.

Quick question- My Pokemon Showdown account is distinct from my Smogon Account, correct? It's just I've tried to log in with my Smogon Account in the past/create an account with the same name, but that hasn't worked, so is it possible someone already used my username for PS?

churine

lunatic+
Quick question- My Pokemon Showdown account is distinct from my Smogon Account, correct? It's just I've tried to log in with my Smogon Account in the past/create an account with the same name, but that hasn't worked, so is it possible someone already used my username for PS?
Smogon & Pokemon Showdown accounts are independent. Because of this, someone could've taken your Smogon name & used it for Showdown.

I've recently been getting heaps of dc's on showdown. Most of the time showdown doesn't even load but when it does load, I disconnect mid battle and unable to reconnect. This is only a problem using my wifi though. If i tether my phone's connection to my computer, showdown works fine.

I've tried using https instead but it still constantly disconnects. Any tips?

I am playing Pokemon HeartGold and I have two questions:
1- Why in showdown all moves have more PP than in the game, and how can I chage to have same PP.
2- Opening the saved file, coping the Iv, EV, nature, etc. stats are different.
For example, I have an ampharos, jolly, defense: 1 IV, 29 EV. In my save it has 76, in Shodown it has 85.

raf

quite alright
is a Tiering Contributor
1- Why in showdown all moves have more PP than in the game, and how can I chage to have same PP.
For example, I have an ampharos, jolly, defense: 1 IV, 29 EV. In my save it has 76, in Shodown it has 85.
1. Since its competitive, its more convenient for every Pokemon to already have max PP Ups and have PP for all moves at max. You cannot change it.

Not sure about 2, perhaps someone else can tell you.

Your title is "two simple questions" so, why did you make a thread instead of posting in the simple questions thread?

For part two, perhaps your ampharos isn't level 100? In showdown, it automatically starts with level 100. If that's not the case, provide more details please. Afaik, there's no issues with how PS stats work.

85 * 0.9 is 76.5, so 76 after rounding. I infer that your Ampharos has a speed reducing nature, while the one you made on PS has a neutral one.

I've been having an issue lately with Showdown where it keeps disconnecting me. Sometimes it would disconnect and not alert me and so I reload the page, and after it reloads it says I timed out. I've heard other players experiencing this issue. Is this a Showdown server glitch or is it my internet connection? I haven't had connection issues outside of Showdown.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
In gen 6 (which Pokemon Showdown's teambuilder is based off by default), Pokemon like Ampharos gained certain boosts in their base stats. Ampharos' base defense was 75 in gen 2-5, but in gen 6, it was buffed to 85.

What does the "Your account is disabled." message mean ?
Or "(Account disabled)"
Disabled accounts can't be used or logged into. Upperstaff can disable accounts manually, usually for being inappropriate, but abandoned usernames (names that haven't been logged into for around 3 and a half years) are also now disabled.

How can I change my name on PS and the Smogon Forums. I do not like the name I chose, and I want to use a different one. The problem is, this requires a new account. I'm wondering if there's a way to change my name while keeping the same ELO's I had before. I also want a new name for this forum, but I can't even create a new account without having to create a completely new email address. How do I do this?

How can I change my name on PS and the Smogon Forums. I do not like the name I chose, and I want to use a different one. The problem is, this requires a new account. I'm wondering if there's a way to change my name while keeping the same ELO's I had before. I also want a new name for this forum, but I can't even create a new account without having to create a completely new email address. How do I do this?
I merged this post into this thread since it didn't need to be its own thread. Anyway, you can request Smogon name and profile changes here but it's not possible to change your PS name while keeping the same Elo. You can use /nick or click "change name" to create a new alt, but you won't be able to transfer your ladder rankings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)