Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Why did they remove Seasonals? If the problem was that they ran out of ideas, they could've just reused the ones from 2013/14.
It's probably just on a pause because new gen, so they'll most likely be back some time next year.

Would you consider this a game? Me and my friend had a little dispute on if this was a game or a simulator. Honestly I think it's both but he thinks it's just a simulator. I know it says it's a battle simulator on the website but really? It's a game too right???

Why are shadow Pokémon not implemented? they were unique and a genuinely cool concept but you seemed to gloss over. them their stats were even known. they had unique moves, strengths, weaknesses, and difficulties.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shadow_move
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shadow_Pokémon
You can't use them in an on-cartridge battle wifi battle, so they aren't included here. If you want to play with them, make an OM submission about it here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/om-submissions.398/

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Why are shadow Pokémon not implemented? they were unique and a genuinely cool concept but you seemed to gloss over. them their stats were even known. they had unique moves, strengths, weaknesses, and difficulties.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shadow_move
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shadow_Pokémon
Shadow Pokemon only exist in a side game. Showdown only implements pokemon from the main series games. If Shadow Pokemon could be transferred into the main series games and used in battle in Sun and Moon, then they would be on Pokemon Showdown, but that's not the case.

Is there any way to check ban time of a banned user on showdown? I was temporarily banned ,for what the ban message called: "a few days", last Saturday and it's been nearly a week. I was told these sort of bans last 5-6 days at maximum so I'd like to know if there is some way to check how much longer I'll be banned for.

Thanks

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there any way to check ban time of a banned user on showdown? I was temporarily banned ,for what the ban message called: "a few days", last Saturday and it's been nearly a week. I was told these sort of bans last 5-6 days at maximum so I'd like to know if there is some way to check how much longer I'll be banned for.

Thanks
There isn't a way to check for exactly how long a ban will last, because then banned users could schedule around when the ban wears off, and come back on as soon as it does, as if nothing happened. And that's not really what bans intend to do, they're more there to force people away to think about what they've done, and can come back when they've learned their lesson, if the ban has worn off, that is. But even if it hasn't, you could possibly PM a moderator to apologize and ask if they could remove the ban early (I can't guarantee that they will, though).

There isn't a way to check for exactly how long a ban will last, because then banned users could schedule around when the ban wears off, and come back on as soon as it does, as if nothing happened. And that's not really what bans intend to do, they're more there to force people away to think about what they've done, and can come back when they've learned their lesson, if the ban has worn off, that is. But even if it hasn't, you could possibly PM a moderator to apologize and ask if they could remove the ban early (I can't guarantee that they will, though).
Leaving the ban time ambiguous is hardly ever seen in online games. If you like the game enough to care about being banned then just scheduling around it wouldn't matter. You'd always want to play and being unable to do so would be the punishment. Knowing when it ends wouldn't change that. I don't think it's fair to the user to ban someone and then not tell them how long its for. That'd be like throwing someone in jail without telling them their sentence. Anyways, The moderator who goes by that goes by the name of "Beowulf" that did the ban hasn't been on the forums in over a year so I assume the only way of getting in touch with him is through PS directly.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Leaving the ban time ambiguous is hardly ever seen in online games. If you like the game enough to care about being banned then just scheduling around it wouldn't matter. You'd always want to play and being unable to do so would be the punishment. Knowing when it ends wouldn't change that. I don't think it's fair to the user to ban someone and then not tell them how long its for. That'd be like throwing someone in jail without telling them their sentence. Anyways, The moderator who goes by that goes by the name of "Beowulf" that did the ban hasn't been on the forums in over a year so I assume the only way of getting in touch with him is through PS directly.
If the user has done something serious enough to warrant a ban, then I don't see how it's not fair. This isn't jail time. It doesn't disrupt your entire life. It merely prevents you from going on one single website because you broke the rules. If you think you were banned unfairly, then you can appeal the punishment by clicking here. If you think you deserved the ban, then you'll have to wait it out.

If the user has done something serious enough to warrant a ban, then I don't see how it's not fair. This isn't jail time. It doesn't disrupt your entire life. It merely prevents you from going on one single website because you broke the rules. If you think you were banned unfairly, then you can appeal the punishment by clicking here. If you think you deserved the ban, then you'll have to wait it out.
Obviously this isn't jail time, but the premise is the same. I was merely using an analogy. Nearly every modern system of rules worth anything, no matter if they are just in-game rules or actual laws, are going to at least inform the accused of the punishment. I have made a ban appeal but no one with the power to ban or unban has given me a firm yes or no on it nor have they addressed the issue regarding the punishment system. I don't care much about the punishment actual effect in terms of preventing playing ( considering its easy enough to circumvent and keep playing as normal), rather I find the system to be obviously very flawed and I felt it should be brought to light.

I registered an account on showdown several years ago, just got back into playing competitively. It's saying my account is disabled. Anyone know how to get this fixed?

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I registered an account on showdown several years ago, just got back into playing competitively. It's saying my account is disabled. Anyone know how to get this fixed?
Accounts may be automatically disabled if they're "abandoned", aka not logged into for a long period of time, which seems to have happened here. PM a Moderator (they have the @ symbol by their names) in the Help room, explain the situation, and ask for a password reset. They'll be able to help.
Obviously this isn't jail time, but the premise is the same. I was merely using an analogy. Nearly every modern system of rules worth anything, no matter if they are just in-game rules or actual laws, are going to at least inform the accused of the punishment. I have made a ban appeal but no one with the power to ban or unban has given me a firm yes or no on it nor have they addressed the issue regarding the punishment system. I don't care much about the punishment actual effect in terms of preventing playing ( considering its easy enough to circumvent and keep playing as normal), rather I find the system to be obviously very flawed and I felt it should be brought to light.
There are generally three lengths of global punishments: ~2 days, ~7 days, and indefinite. These times cannot be exact due to programming things regarding the ban's actual execution, but are pretty solid estimates. If you're unsure how much longer your ban will last, you can PM a moderator in the Help room and get an estimate. (oops that would be for locks, which some people call "bans") And also, don't circumvent punishments: it opens you up for punishment extension.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Perish Song when both my opponent and I had one Pokemon left. When Perish Song ended, my Gengar Fainter first followed by my opponent's Ambipom. However, it counted it as a win for my opponent as opposed to me. Is this how Perish Song works or is this a bug?

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I used Perish Song when both my opponent and I had one Pokemon left. When Perish Song ended, my Gengar Fainter first followed by my opponent's Ambipom. However, it counted it as a win for my opponent as opposed to me. Is this how Perish Song works or is this a bug?
It seems that you lost because when both Pokemon ran out of Perish Song turns, your Pokemon was faster and fainted first. Since you were the first to have no Pokemon able to battle, you lost. And yes, this is intended behavior.

Accounts may be automatically disabled if they're "abandoned", aka not logged into for a long period of time, which seems to have happened here. PM a Moderator (they have the @ symbol by their names) in the Help room, explain the situation, and ask for a password reset. They'll be able to help.
TYVM

Forgot to save & upload replay, but here's a log of the situation I'm curious about.

(Gen 7 Random Battle)
http://pastebin.com/NE7tdf8j

My understanding is that currently in Gen 7 random singles, all Pokemon are at Lv75 (Lv73 for Ubers) with 31 IVs and 85 EVs in everything (unless using Gyro Ball, etc.) and neutral nature.

Opponent had no Zoroark, Tailwind, Choice Scarf, Slush Rush, Prankster etc.

So (Thick Fat) Walrein with a speed of 141 should have outsped (Snow Warning) Aurorus with a speed of 131, but Aurorus attacked first in Turn 4 with Encore.

Any ideas on how this is possible, or is this a bug?

Forgot to save & upload replay, but here's a log of the situation I'm curious about.

(Gen 7 Random Battle)
http://pastebin.com/NE7tdf8j

My understanding is that currently in Gen 7 random singles, all Pokemon are at Lv75 (Lv73 for Ubers) with 31 IVs and 85 EVs in everything (unless using Gyro Ball, etc.) and neutral nature.

Opponent had no Zoroark, Tailwind, Choice Scarf, Slush Rush, Prankster etc.

So (Thick Fat) Walrein with a speed of 141 should have outsped (Snow Warning) Aurorus with a speed of 131, but Aurorus attacked first in Turn 4 with Encore.

Any ideas on how this is possible, or is this a bug?
Walrein probably tried to use Roar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)