Pokémon Avalugg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Wow he took those attacks like a total champ! To be fair, they were all relatively low BP. Still, that makes Weakness Policy seem insanely good on him. He could easily get a +2 boost without much trouble. Thank Arceus GF gave this guy Recover.
However, consider the following...

Scizor's Technician-boosted, Choice Banded Bullet Punch aganst Avalugg = 40*1.5*1.5*1.5*2 = 270, coming from a pokemon with base 130 attack and it did less than 30%.
To put that in perspective that's exactly as powerful as a STAB CB Outrage coming from a dragon with base 130 attack, which I wouldn't call "low BP".
A +1, LO-boosted STAB Outrage from the likes of Salamence would deal about 40%, which is impressive considering it doesn't resist it. This means Avalugg can survive it even after SR damage with just Leftovers.

Anyways, an environment where I can see Avalugg truly shine is 1 vs 1.
A set with Sturdy, Custap Berry and Avalanche/Gyro Ball/Earthquake/Sleep Talk beats many pokemon 1 on 1.

Last edited:
I tried the CB set on the ladder (252 HP/252 Atk setup) and it's probably not OU material and outclassed by a defensive set. Sturdy became a lot better now with the Defog buff so it can revenge quite a few threats with STAB Avalance and EdgeQuake coverage but I found it to be not that useful a mon on my team. Requires a lot of prediction with your moves to be very effective, whereas some other choiced mons can just click a certain attack knowing it will do a whoppin' to pretty much anything on the opponent's team.

I'll try out the defensive set later and see how it fares in an OU environment.

Maybe.

Honestly, though, it's not the stats that are making Avalugg more than straight-NU-bait, it's the movepool. Avaluggs stats are nowhere near as impressive as the Regis, with equally bad defensive typing. But Avalugg gets Recover. Also Rapid Spin. And Roar. The Regis can't compete with that. So maybe you're right that we're underestimating Avalugg. I sure hope we are, cause he's a pretty cool dude. We'll just have to see. I am curious to know how well he takes a Flare Blitz, a Stone Edge, and a Close Combat first, though... cause those are important physical SE moves that might destroy his hopes.
Avalugg has more Physical bulk than any Regi because it has more HP.

I'm gonna quote myself from a different topic:

Just throwing out there that based on this thread's calculations (http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...e-bulk-in-the-uber-tier.3473501/#post-4431407) Avaluggs physical bulk is likely about the same as Giratinas overall physical bulk.

127 in Defense Tier
  • The Great Wall & Boosting Tank Giratina (127.37)

Avalugg with 95 base hp and 180 base def reaches 127.99, almost reaching Multiscale Lugia Tier
[ 95 / 180 are estimates, but should be close to Avaluggs real base stats ]

I know SR and its weaknesses make it worse, but it's still quite impressive and could make up for it's bad defensive typing a little bit... although it'll still die from most decent special hits :/ so it'll likely not be too useful, I just felt like talking about it.
But now that we have its exact stats... it reaches 128.17756487. Which means it is in the same tier as Multiscale Lugia. Multiscale Lugia himself is the only Pokemon with higher physical bulk than Avalugg. Regirock does reach 128.03909488, though... that topic was for Ubers only I guess, that's why the Regis aren't even listed.

[edit: not counting Megas though, Mega Aggron has a little more physical bulk! It reaches 128.6393186]

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
However, consider the following...

Scizor's Technician-boosted, Choice Banded Bullet Punch aganst Avalugg = 40*1.5*1.5*1.5*2 = 270, coming from a pokemon with base 130 attack and it did less than 30%.
To put that in perspective that's exactly as powerful as a STAB CB Outrage coming from a dragon with base 130 attack, which I wouldn't call "low BP".
A +1, LO-boosted STAB Outrage from the likes of Salamence would deal about 40%, which is impressive considering it doesn't resist it. This means Avalugg can survive it even after SR damage with just Leftovers.

Anyways, an environment where I can see Avalugg truly shine is 1 vs 1.
A set with Sturdy, Custap Berry and Avalanche/Gyro Ball/Earthquake/Sleep Talk beats many pokemon 1 on 1.
The Scizor wasn't CB. Here is how much a CB Bullet Punch does:

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 152-180 (38.57 - 45.68%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Really pumped to use this guy with Icy Rock Abomasnow and Wish Sylveon.

Maybe.

Honestly, though, it's not the stats that are making Avalugg more than straight-NU-bait, it's the movepool. Avaluggs stats are nowhere near as impressive as the Regis, with equally bad defensive typing. But Avalugg gets Recover. Also Rapid Spin. And Roar. The Regis can't compete with that. So maybe you're right that we're underestimating Avalugg. I sure hope we are, cause he's a pretty cool dude. We'll just have to see. I am curious to know how well he takes a Flare Blitz, a Stone Edge, and a Close Combat first, though... cause those are important physical SE moves that might destroy his hopes.
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 322-382 (81.72 - 96.95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 237-281 (60.15 - 71.31%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (life orb simulates tough claws)

252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 288-340 (73.09 - 86.29%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 270-320 (68.52 - 81.21%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 211-250 (53.55 - 63.45%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 224-266 (56.85 - 67.51%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
I've been trying this set out on PS:

Avalugg@Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
Impish nature
-Avalanche
-Earthquake
-Recover
-Roar

with Defog support (I used Mew since it resists fighting and it's not weak to SR) and I'm really impressed. Among the things that fail to 2HKO it: Aegislash's Iron Head, Talonflame's Flare Blitz, Diggersby's Return, M-Garchomp's Outrage and Malamar's Superpower, all of which can be phazed out by Roar if they think to setup on it.

"The Scizor wasn't CB. Here is how much a CB Bullet Punch does:

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 152-180 (38.57 - 45.68%) -- guaranteed 3HKO"

Either way, I still would've been able to heal more than the damage he'd do to me and I'd still kill him eventually.

But now that we have its exact stats... it reaches 128.17756487. Which means it is in the same tier as Multiscale Lugia. Multiscale Lugia himself is the only Pokemon with higher physical bulk than Avalugg. Regirock does reach 128.03909488, though... that topic was for Ubers only I guess, that's why the Regis aren't even listed.

[edit: not counting Megas though, Mega Aggron has a little more physical bulk! It reaches 128.6393186]
I'll change my wording then to "Avalugg has stats only a bit more impressive than the Regis, namely Regirock". You can see my trepidation with that since Regirock is solidly NU and probably will be for, like, ever. But this, as I mentioned, is due to poor, poor movepool options - particularly the lack of recovery. Avalugg has a much more useful and complementary movepool, and you've all been putting out some impressive numbers since the post I quoted above, so maybe he can pull it off afterall. But it certainly wouldn't be a case of stats over typing, cause Regirock proved that isn't enough. Rather it would be a case of NEAR UNHEARD OF levels of role-catering by GF - almost as much role-catering as GF gave to Volcarona. If only GF had this much vision for every Poke they made...

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Here's a decent match with a team designed to cover Avalugg's weaknesses and that benefits from its assets: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-58731729

My two cents on Avalugg now that I have used it for a while: as a physical wall it has 4 main competitors in OU: Skarmory, Gliscor, Forretress and Hippowdown, so in order to be successful it needs to differentiate itself form them...

-Forretress lacks a reliable recovery move, so Avalugg should be running Recover to differentiate itself from Forry.
-Skarmory lacks offensive presence, so Avalugg should take advantage of its nice attack and STAB Avalanche to threaten the things its supposed to wall, such as most physically-oriented dragons. Skarmory can phaze them, but it can't really damage them. In a team that runs Defog it's better to outright kill dragons since hazards are likely not to be up so this is an instance where Avalugg's offensive talents make a difference.
-Gliscor is completely helpless against anything with ice attacks and outside of uncommon SD sets it's really not threatening. For example Gliscor loses against Kyurem-B, but Avalugg can actually beat it 1-on-1 as long as it doesn't have Focus Blast or LO-boosted Earth Power.
-Hippowdown has comparable attack and STAB Earthquake, as well as a recovery move and Roar just like Avalugg. It also has Sand Stream which may or may not be beneficial to the team: this is the key difference. If your team doesn't want sand (maybe because you're already running another weather), then Avalugg may be more useful than Hippo as a physical wall.

As you can see Avalugg is a niche pokemon, but it's definitely viable in OU with appropriate team support (hint: pair it with a pokemon that covers 3/4 of its weaknesses such as Starmie or Aegislash!) and it's able to defeat many dangerous physical sweepers by itself.

That Avalugg + Fairy core looks pretty cool actually I do admit. The main problem seems to be a weakness to Steel-types: Scizor, so I imagine Pokemon that cover it like Jellicent, Skarmory, Gliscor, or Rest-talk Gyarados would be fantastic partners.

I wouldn't overlook some of the UU mons as great core partners - Slowking would be a fantastic partner for this guy. As well as Swampert. Tentacruel's no slouch either. All of those resist 3/4 of Avalugg's weaknesses and are neutral to the 4th. Dragalgae might be worth a look, too.

It's Ice Hippowdown. That sums it up almost perfectly IMO. Obviously you'll pick Avalugg if you're running Hail or Mono-Ice. Hippowdon has a better defensive typing but Avalugg has Ice STAB, resists Ice, isn't weak to Water/Grass, and can run Rapid Spin. A team could probably be constructed where it is a better choice of physical wall.

Hot damn, it seems pure physical is the way to go over mixed. That is some epic bulk right there. Seems like Roar/Avalanche/Recover are must haves, it's too important to get those set up sweepers out of there. I'd really like to see Rest and Curse on this thing now. Rest being able to cure Toxic or Burn would be very handy.

Avalugg@Leftovers
Sturdy
Impish 252 HP / 4 At / 252 Df
~ Rest/Recover
~ Sleep Talk/Gyro Ball
~ Roar/Curse
~ Avalanche

ResTalk seems too tempting on this guy. He really wants five moves though. Roar would likely be more important than Curse but if you do choose Curse than perhaps stick with Recover and Gyro Ball. If Rest than Sleep Talk and Roar.

After playing a while with Avalugg, I can safely say that I TOTALLY see it in OU.

Only takes 56% from Heracross's Close Combat for God's sake! And can retaliate with Avalanche for around 71%.

This is some crazy bulk right there.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-59589953

Avalugg really proves he's the best there it in this replay.

Take a +4 Sacred Sword from Aegislash then survives with 15%

Survive an Earthquake from Dragonite then heal back up.

Hell, that crit Focus Punch didn't even phaze him!

This thing is a goddamn monster.

PS : Please ignore the Flare Blitz on Goodra, it was a brainfart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using avalugg as a physical tank/set up sweeper.

Avalugg @ leftovers
Ability: Ice body (with hail support e.g. abomasnow), otherwise sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Atk / 252 Def
Nature: Relaxed (+ Def, - Spe)
-Curse
-Gyro Ball
-Toxic
-Recover

Basically the idea here is that you switch Avalugg in on a physical attacker, use toxic, then spam curse and recover. With a lot of curses, physical attacks will do literally nothing to him, and the - speed and + attack will lead to an absolutely devastating gyro ball. If Avalugg isn't required to sweep this set also makes a really good physical wall, with the + defence from curse and toxic/recover.

Obviously this set doesn't work at all against special attackers, so they need to be removed first. Another way of countering this weakness is to have a really good special wall to switch in on special attackers, such as Florges, Goodra, Blissey, Sylveon, etc.

This Avalugg is also easily countered by status, so having a Florges with Aromatherapy or a Blissey with Heal Bell works really well too.

252HP/252Def, 4 Sp.Def

Impish.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Also it can easily take a CC from Mega-Lucario (around 60%, more than enough to tank another physical attacker) then OHKO back with Earthquake (thanks to the -1def from CC)

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Since Avalugg learns Mirror Coat as an egg move, it gets Sturdy and attracts special attackers very easily, is there a way to make use of that?

That said, he does have the HP to use mirror coat well. After that, switch him in against a paralyzed pokemon or under trick room and recover up like a boss.

I have been using Avalugg as a mainstay on my team since PS updated, and the only problem I have came across has been Special Attackers obviously. Which is why I have been trying to pair him with a Special wall to switch to to deal with these threats. However now with the mirror coat revelation it makes me realise that with Sturdy + Mirror Coat, I will KO most special attackers. Then using Custap Berry and Recover can get back to health quickly or switch out and Recover when it is safe to do so. The question is which other two moves to run? I had been using Curse, Recover, Avalanche, Earthquake with Rocky Helmet which crippled every single physical attacker that tried. I feel like Curse is necessary, so which attack would be the absolute best to utilise if he were only given one attacking slot?

God, he's by far my most favorite Pokemon this gen (after I accidentally bred a shiny one with Sturdy and flawless IVs :heart:)

Custap berry seems SO good on him but I feel like he really wants leftovers to tank all those supereffective hits.

I also really love the curse set on him (although I'm playing it with Gyro Ball instead of Quake atm)

I haven't found the need for leftovers due to recover, once you get a few curses up the only thing I have found to do some real damage is aegislash's sacred sword due to it ignoring the stat boosts. I did try Gyro Ball but found that it was useless when compared with Earthquake. Ice and Ground attacks seem to have good synergy.

God, he's by far my most favorite Pokemon this gen (after I accidentally bred a shiny one with Sturdy and flawless IVs :heart:)

Custap berry seems SO good on him but I feel like he really wants leftovers to tank all those supereffective hits.

I also really love the curse set on him (although I'm playing it with Gyro Ball instead of Quake atm)
Wait... is this an actual record of a perfect-IV Shiny Pokemon?

Even in the best of circumstances (Masuda Method + perfect parents + Destiny Knot), it's still 3/131072 (1/32 for the random IV * 6/8192 from the Gen V Masuda Method chance without the Shiny Charm). That's 0.0023%.

As for Avalugg strategy itself... Blissey could use a good physical wall to be paired with, but Avalugg has major competition from Skarmory (who isn't weak to Fighting) and Mega Aggron (who's less weak to Fighting). Even so, in the lower tiers, Avalugg could see some decent use.

Of course it doesn't have 31 SpA, it has 31/31/31/x/31/0 and Relaxed Nature for Gyro Ball / Trick Room. It was also the very first Bergmite with these stats and it was NOT through Masuda Method as it had no foreign parents, it was sheer and 100 % luck. :pimp:

However, back to topic. Considering his weakness to Special Attacks he would also work well with Tentacruel since he resists everything Avalugg is weak against bar Stone Edge, he can also Spin those pesky rocks away, inflict burns with Scald and set up Toxic Spikes/absorb them.

Another good partner would be Jellicent, who resists pretty much the same things and is also immune to Fighting and Water (which is mostly specially based and as such not very good for Avalugg).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)