Averagemons

if your using serperior on stall you might want to slash taunt with giga drain for having decent pp and the ability to non passively recover

MAMP

MAMP!
if your using serperior on stall you might want to slash taunt with giga drain for having decent pp and the ability to non passively recover
While Giga Drain might seem good at first, it is actually really weak and Taunt is vital for Serperior, allowing it to shut down Pokemon like Clefable and preventing them from recovering. Giga Drain could be useful, but I think its not really worth using over Taunt in the long run.

Just saying rock polish primal groudon is a terror with desoland, as is genesect due to just having more BST and coverage than just about everything due to download. Since this meta is literally all jirachi stats look to coverage/typing/abilities to make or break mons. Pdon has 2 immunities and can't be burned, genesect has insane special coverage, shift gear, and download for a myriad of sets. Skarmory still has my bid for best HO lead atm as it's suddenly in the fastest only speed tier and has taunt/spikes/sr/whatever and sturdy allowing it to run red card or other fun items. Clefable with magic guard and unaware looks to be a serious defensive threat, and along that line dialga has some pretty nice typing and support movepool. Not sure I actually have to say anything about xerneas with a power boosting ability and access to geomancy. Some of the best low tier mons to get a boost are the porygons, swellow, sylveon, dugtrio, swoobat, crawdaunt/sharpedo and probably a lot more I'm missing.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Agreeing that Groudon looks amazing in this meta as a wall breaker / cleaner

Thinking about a set like this:
Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
Idk nature and evs prob 248 hp
- Earthquake / Precipice Blades
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge / Substitute / Rock Polish / Whatever

Try walling this XD

I've got another Adaptability abuser:

Ultimate Avenger (Eevee) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Retaliate
- Facade
- Bite
- Quick Attack/Return/Iron Tail

Banded STAB Adaptability Retaliate or Facade hits disgustingly hard. If you thought Dragalge's Draco Meteor was bad:

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Eevee Retaliate vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 418-494 (103.4 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Eevee Retaliate vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 302-356 (74.7 - 88.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Eevee Retaliate vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 209-247 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Eevee Retaliate vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 209-247 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Retaliate can OHKO anything at full health that doesn't resist it unless it runs atleast 252 HP/216 Def or is Furfrou. Facade is terrifying. If Eevee gets statused, or the enemy sets (or bounces) Toxic Spikes, the pain train's breaks are removed. If the opposing pokemon isn't a Ghost, a Steel/Rock/Fur Coat physical wall, or Bastiodon/Aggron, it can't survive 2 hits. Bite isn't the greatest move, but it still prevents Ghost types from walling it. Quick Attack provides priority, Return/Frustration can provide power without drawbacks or setup and Iron Tail can be used if Eevee has trouble with physical Rock type walls. It can also run Double Edge, but that recoil damage will be painful.

Primal Don certainly needs to be suspected. It gets perma additional firepower in DL, wonderful high-BP coverage in Precipice Blades and setup in Rock Polish. Just the right things to get in a tier that limits Stats. Maybe too right.

MAMP

MAMP!
Primal Don certainly needs to be suspected. It gets perma additional firepower in DL, wonderful high-BP coverage in Precipice Blades and setup in Rock Polish. Just the right things to get in a tier that limits Stats. Maybe too right.
I haven't used pdon nor have I seen anyone use it so I cant vouch for it being broken or not. Does anyone have any replays of it? As far as potentially broken mons go I'm more concerned about Dugtrio, does anyone have an opinion on that?

Yes. Trapinch outclasses Dugtrio as a trapper, so if Dugtrio goes it needs to go. Trapinch has a physical move pool on par with Dugtrio as well as a very usable special move pool.

Dugtrio's viable physical move pool: Earthquake, Sucker Punch, Aerial Ace, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Shadow Claw, Facade
Trapinch's viable physical move pool: Earthquake, Crunch, Superpower, Rock Slide, Facade, Quick Attack
Trapinch's viable special move pool: Earth Power, Giga Drain, Signal Beam, Hidden Power

The special move pool might be a little shallow, but it enables Trapinch to easily trap and kill things Dugtrio can't, including Dugtrio and other ground types. Earth Power hits almost as hard as Earthquake. Giga Drain gives Trapinch recovery and eats Dugtrio for breakfast. Signal Beam hits Dark/Psychic/Grass types much better than Dugtrio can. Struggle Bug can also be used to put a stop to Cosmic Stored Power or let it beat some special attackers. Hidden Power can be Ice to get full coverage or it can be tailored to target specific threats to your team. Ferrothorn and Scizor causing problems? Hidden Power Fire. Ground resistant/immune Fairy types? Hidden Power Steel or Poison. Whatever trapping need you might have, Trapinch can fill it. Unless you want Memento/Stealth Rock support, Sucker Punch, Stone Miss over Rock Slide, or weak physical Flying/Ghost coverage, Trapinch is the trapper to go with.

So, I'd say if it comes to a ban Arena Trap itself should be banned instead of Dugtrio/Diglett.

Last edited:
this should be a ladder on the main sever. if you must, replace it with CAP. this meta is far more exciting and adds more new team ideas than cap.

this should be a ladder on the main sever. if you must, replace it with CAP. this meta is far more exciting and adds more new team ideas than cap.
it used to have a ladder back in the day but like most oms no one cared about playing it see mediocremons

MAMP

MAMP!
it used to have a ladder back in the day but like most oms no one cared about playing it see mediocremons
This isn't actually 100% true, averagemons was omotm in January last year, and lost its ladder at the end of the month just like most omotms. In fact, it was actually one of the more popular omotms iirc, so saying that nobody cared about playing it is untrue.

Yes. Trapinch outclasses Dugtrio as a trapper, so if Dugtrio goes it needs to go. Trapinch has a physical move pool on par with Dugtrio as well as a very usable special move pool.

Dugtrio's viable physical move pool: Earthquake, Sucker Punch, Aerial Ace, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Shadow Claw, Facade
Trapinch's viable physical move pool: Earthquake, Crunch, Superpower, Rock Slide, Facade, Quick Attack
Trapinch's viable special move pool: Earth Power, Giga Drain, Signal Beam, Hidden Power

The special move pool might be a little shallow, but it enables Trapinch to easily trap and kill things Dugtrio can't, including Dugtrio and other ground types. Earth Power hits almost as hard as Earthquake. Giga Drain gives Trapinch recovery and eats Dugtrio for breakfast. Signal Beam hits Dark/Psychic/Grass types much better than Dugtrio can. Struggle Bug can also be used to put a stop to Cosmic Stored Power or let it beat some special attackers. Hidden Power can be Ice to get full coverage or it can be tailored to target specific threats to your team. Ferrothorn and Scizor causing problems? Hidden Power Fire. Ground resistant/immune Fairy types? Hidden Power Steel or Poison. Whatever trapping need you might have, Trapinch can fill it. Unless you want Memento/Stealth Rock support, Sucker Punch, Stone Miss over Rock Slide, or weak physical Flying/Ghost coverage, Trapinch is the trapper to go with.

So, I'd say if it comes to a ban Arena Trap itself should be banned instead of Dugtrio/Diglett.
I have tried running Trapinch and found it to be fairly mediocre compared to dug. While Giga Drain is very nice, for it to actually do any significant damage you have to run a lot of special attack investment, which forces you to run the less powerful Eartg Power and makes rock slide laughably weak. Signal beam is weak af and super niche, Dugtrio wouldn't waste a moveslot on it even if it did learn it. And I feel like you're really underselling duggy's support movepool. SR, memento, final gambit are all great moves that dug can utilise really well, and sucker punch and the higher base power of stone edge can be very handy at times. Trapinch's biggest niche is the ability to trap and kill Quagsire, but overall I think dug is the more useful of the two. However, I do agree that if dug is banned Trapinch should probably go with it.
If you want to see this get a ladder on the main server, vote for it for other meta of the month! (although it looks like classic hackmons will win this month)

Greninja looks pretty cool for offensive teams. It can take out both unaware users with gunk shot and grass knot respectfully, and has plenty of coverage options. Ice beam also seems good with all the dragons running around. I havent played much averagemons, but it looks like it could give stall a hard time.

MAMP

MAMP!
I've been playing around a bit with quiverpass Venomoth and its really good. Here's the set ive been using:

Venomoth @ Black Sludge
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Sludge Bomb (bug buzz is probably viable here too im just running sludge to hit clef)
- Sleep Powder

Works exactly as it does in other tiers, put something to sleep then set up a couple quiver dances. Venomoth can sometimes sweep on its own, or just pass the boosts to something else. Ive found that the best recipients are the likes of Nidoqueen and Exploud, special attackers with good power and coverage. Here's a replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/averagemons-207083522

Venomoth can run some other sets too, you can replace the attacking move with roost and run a more defensive spread to make it easier to set up lots of boosts, or drop bpass for another attacking move for an all out sweeper set. Masquerain can also quiverpass, and it has intimidate to help it set up + some neat moves like whirlwind and sticky web, but the weakness to sr, lack of tinted lens or sleep powder makes veno the better option imo

I've been playing around a bit with quiverpass Venomoth and its really good. Here's the set ive been using:

Venomoth @ Black Sludge
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Sludge Bomb (bug buzz is probably viable here too im just running sludge to hit clef)
- Sleep Powder

Works exactly as it does in other tiers, put something to sleep then set up a couple quiver dances. Venomoth can sometimes sweep on its own, or just pass the boosts to something else. Ive found that the best recipients are the likes of Nidoqueen and Exploud, special attackers with good power and coverage. Here's a replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/averagemons-207083522

Venomoth can run some other sets too, you can replace the attacking move with roost and run a more defensive spread to make it easier to set up lots of boosts, or drop bpass for another attacking move for an all out sweeper set. Masquerain can also quiverpass, and it has intimidate to help it set up + some neat moves like whirlwind and sticky web, but the weakness to sr, lack of tinted lens or sleep powder makes veno the better option imo
man, I ran quiver-pass back in XY! Great to see other people realizing it's usefulness

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
BD Slurpuff is back with a vengance, considering that its previosly mediocre stats are the same as the rest of the fking tier. It's poor stats were basically the only thing stopping it from becoming an OU threat, and it was basically an S-rank mon in RU in standard play. I anticipate it being an amazing set.

How about Heatran? It has a great defensive and a satisfactory Support movepool as well as a versatile Offensive one. Oh, and Talonflame, too. It'd be a seemingly required Pokémon, however, since all Pokémon here are equally fast. Even with Trick Room on, Talonflame will still dispatch it unless the Rock type, like Gigalith (another notable Pokémon), is around. Then again, there is the Swords Dance + Natural Gift.

I've been running Sheer Force spam because I'm bad at teambuilding and spam teams are easier and while most of the mons are about as good as you'd expect (Nidoking/queen OP), I'd like to give a shout-out to Mawile for running a pretty fun mixed set. A lot of people waste time trying to burn it. I run Play Rough, Flash Cannon, Dark Pulse, and Ice Beam personally. Biggest drawback is not getting to abuse Swords Dance.

It seems like a cool meta, maybe stuff like Ludicolo might be good. with good stats stats not being an issue at all, it might run Rain Dance / Hydro Miss | Surf / Giga Drain / Ice Beam, abusing great coverage ( grass / water / ice ) and great speed.
Also, Sticky Web might be a cool strategy, considering it ( sorta ) solves the speed tie problems.

MAMP

MAMP!
It seems like a cool meta, maybe stuff like Ludicolo might be good. with good stats stats not being an issue at all, it might run Rain Dance / Hydro Miss | Surf / Giga Drain / Ice Beam, abusing great coverage ( grass / water / ice ) and great speed.
Also, Sticky Web might be a cool strategy, considering it ( sorta ) solves the speed tie problems.
Sticky Web isn't actually as good as you might expect; while it does guarantee that you will outspeed the opposing mons (unless they aren't grounded/are scarfed), Sticky Web mostly benefits wallbreakers, which are not quite as potent in Averagemons as they are in other tiers, due to their offensive stats being nerfed.

I've been running Sheer Force spam because I'm bad at teambuilding and spam teams are easier and while most of the mons are about as good as you'd expect (Nidoking/queen OP), I'd like to give a shout-out to Mawile for running a pretty fun mixed set. A lot of people waste time trying to burn it. I run Play Rough, Flash Cannon, Dark Pulse, and Ice Beam personally. Biggest drawback is not getting to abuse Swords Dance.
Although probably not as potent as your mixed set, swords dance is totally useable. just run SD, play rough, iron head, and ice punch/fire fang. All the special moves you listed have physical counterparts that are boosted by sheer force for example dark pulse -> crunch and ice beam -> ice punch.

Last edited:
This has been brought up in virtually every OM discussion, but why is shedinja banned? It's supposed to be hard coded to only have 1 HP, not just base 1. It can't be increased by EVs/IVs, so shouldn't the same be applied here? It would have functionally 0 defenses as is, since it's impossible (w/o screens I guess) to deal less than 1 damage, which means 1, mold breaker beats it with anything, 2, any sort of residual damage kills it, and 3, it basically would have a 300 BST. It could still be broken, but I'm not sure it would be.

This has been brought up in virtually every OM discussion, but why is shedinja banned? It's supposed to be hard coded to only have 1 HP, not just base 1. It can't be increased by EVs/IVs, so shouldn't the same be applied here? It would have functionally 0 defenses as is, since it's impossible (w/o screens I guess) to deal less than 1 damage, which means 1, mold breaker beats it with anything, 2, any sort of residual damage kills it, and 3, it basically would have a 300 BST. It could still be broken, but I'm not sure it would be.
In this generation it's actually base 1 that is hardcoded to have 1 HP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)