B&W Research Thread

I think the guy was referring to the "international pokedex" option, how after D/P it was expanded to all Pokemon in the game, not just the 20 or so it was in D/P. In theory, they could have left in this feature. However, as the people translating haven't found this text yet, we should assume it doesn't exist for the moment.

*EDIT* Actually, there's an easy way to test this. Set something's region to North America and trade it to someone. Then, check that Pokemon's pokedex entry.
The foreign dex feature doesn't exist in B/W; if it did, the English names would have been found already, as the text encoding was figured out a while back. I don't think Game Freak would have used a completely different method of encoding text solely for English dex entries.

The foreign dex feature doesn't exist in B/W; if it did, the English names would have been found already, as the text encoding was figured out a while back. I don't think Game Freak would have used a completely different method of encoding text solely for English dex entries.
Well, they could have solely to prevent people from finding out the names early. Nonetheless, I have to agree we probably would have found it already. I do plan on checking it however, if only as proof to people who refuse to believe the data isn't in the ROM.

I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but it looks like Overconfidence only gives the attack boost if the Overconfidence Pokemon itself kills with an attack. If the opponent dies from other damage sources (poison/burn, sandstorm, etc.), then the Overconfidence Pokemon does not get an attack boost.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Question:

If a Pokémon with no held item uses Knock Off against an opponent who is holding a Sticky Barb, is the Sticky Barb lost or is it transferred to the other Pokémon?

This is probably low priority but what happens when a Pokemon with Perversity uses Psych Up/Power Swap/Guard Swap/Heart Swap on a Pokemon with stat changes? Do they give the stat changes normally or do they swap boosts and drops? For example, if a Perversity Spinda uses Psych Up on a Salamence that has used Draco Meteor once, will the Spinda have -2 SpAtk like it normally would or will Perversity reverse it to give it +2 SpAtk?

This is probably low priority but what happens when a Pokemon with Perversity uses Psych Up/Power Swap/Guard Swap/Heart Swap on a Pokemon with stat changes? Do they give the stat changes normally or do they swap boosts and drops? For example, if a Perversity Spinda uses Psych Up on a Salamence that has used Draco Meteor once, will the Spinda have -2 SpAtk like it normally would or will Perversity reverse it to give it +2 SpAtk?
-2 SpA, perversity changes them when and only when they happen, not when they're transferred.

I posted a question in the simple questions thread and it wasn't answered by anyone who actually knew or attempted so I will ask it here in hopes that someone can answer.

I have started breeding and my question is, if I have two Japanese parents, namely Pokemon "X" and a Ditto will giving the Ditto an Everstone still give the situation a 50% of the nature the Ditto has being passed on? I ask because if this is still the case I have hatched about 12 eggs and still haven't gotten a Jolly nature from a Jolly Ditto with an Everstone.

A second question, it may be possible that I have the wrong item...Is there another item that looks very similar to the Everstone?

breh

強いだね
I posted a question in the simple questions thread and it wasn't answered by anyone who actually knew or attempted so I will ask it here in hopes that someone can answer.

I have started breeding and my question is, if I have two Japanese parents, namely Pokemon "X" and a Ditto will giving the Ditto an Everstone still give the situation a 50% of the nature the Ditto has being passed on? I ask because if this is still the case I have hatched about 12 eggs and still haven't gotten a Jolly nature from a Jolly Ditto with an Everstone.

A second question, it may be possible that I have the wrong item...Is there another item that looks very similar to the Everstone?
My guess is you gave it a lucky egg. It was proven somewhere to work I believe.

I think Pumice Stone looks a lot like an Everstone but I'm not sure. This thread can help you get the Japanese characters for an Everstone so you can make sure it was holding one.

Edit:
Does Herbivore absorb Spore and other non-damaging grass moves?
Confirmed Herbivore grants immunity to all Grass-moves, both damaging and non-damaging, and raises Attack one stage when hit by such. The immunity extends even to Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Cotton Spore, Worry Seed, Leech Seed, and Grasswhistle, but not Aromatherapy(dbolt #1, #2)

Veekun's mechanic changes said:
Punishment: power 60 -> 1 (??)
I have tested Punishment and could not find any changes. The initial BP is still 60 and gains 20 BP for any stat boost of the opponent. It's also still capped at 200

"Sleep Talk no longer fails after the first use if the user is holding a Choice item."
This makes me wonder, has Metronome recieved the same treatment?

Heal Bell

Good news about this move, it is no longer blocked by Soundproof.

To test this I used a Miltank with Heal Bell, a burned Bronzong, a poisoned Smeargle and more importantly a poisoned Exploud (with Soundproof) against a wild Whismur.

_Miltank used Heal Bell
_A bell chimed.
_Bronzong was cured of its burn!
_Smeargle was cured of its poison!
_Exploud was cured of its poison! (despite Soundproof)

Like Aromatherapy, Heal Bell now lists every Pokemon that was healed, and what status condition was cured.

Fling: Has its power changed with some key items, such as Iron Ball? (Don't trouble yourselves with retesting an extensive list.)
To test this i used a 139 Attack Ampharos using Fling against a 130 Defense Blissey.
Results: 100-117 damage (i didn't get 118 even after resetting the game 30 times but i suppose that is enough)

As such i confirm that Iron Ball's basepower has remained 130.

Is Rotom-S (fan rotom)'s ground immunity affected by Iron Ball/Knock Down (either one use or multiple uses)/Gravity? It apparently has both Flying-typing and Levitate, ordinarily a troll combo but there's rumors that it doesn't lose its immunity to Ground in Gravity. Anyone willing to test this? (Iron Ball/Knock Down is just for more thorough testing.)

Further testing about Heal Bell behaviour when healing a Pokémon with Soundproof concerning Double, Triple and Rotation Battles.

I used:
_Miltank (with the move Heal Bell);
_a poisoned Exploud (with the ability Soundproof);
_Rayquaza (Triple, Rotation Battles / when Exploud was inactive in Double Battles);
_Smeargle (when Exploud was inactive in Triple, Rotation Battles)

Double Battle:
_Miltank used Heal Bell
A bell chimed
Does Heal Bell have cured status (in this case poison) when:
_ the Soundproof Pokémon (in this case Exploud) was on the field ? yes
_ the Soundproof Pokémon wasn't on the field ? yes

Triple Battle:
_Miltank used Heal Bell
A bell chimed
Does Heal Bell have cured status when:
_ the Soundproof Pokémon was on the field ? yes

Rotation Battle:
_Miltank used Heal Bell
A bell chimed
Does Heal Bell have cured status when:
_ the Soundproof Pokémon was (inactive) on the field ? yes

Now it is safe to assume that Heal Bell bypasses completely Soundproof.

Is Rotom-S (fan rotom)'s ground immunity affected by Iron Ball/Knock Down (either one use or multiple uses)/Gravity?
Tested this with a Rotom-S and a Probopass with Gravity, Knock Down and Earthquake against wild pokémon in double battle.

When Gravity was used against Rotom-S, it was hit by Earthquake (super-effective).
When Knock Down was used against Rotom-S, it was hit by Earthquake (super-effective).

When Rotom-S was holding an Iron Ball, Earthquake hit it for regular damage (no "super-effective" sound, hit for half the damage Earthquake would have done normally, don't know why though).

So Rotom-S ground immunity is still removed by Gravity, Knock Down and Iron Ball despite having both Flying-type and Levitate.

How does trick room's negative priority interact with Mischievous Heart? I don't know if this is a legal combination, but I am still curious.
Miscievous Heart gives all non attacking moves one more priority than they actually have. So Trick Room would have -6 priority instead of -7 which is the same as Roar and Whirlwind.

For anyone who thinks Frozen World sharply lowers the foe's speed (aka -2 speed), you can throw that idea out of the window because Frozen World actually lowers the foe's speed 1 stage only! What a shame.

Used for testing:
_a Kyurem with Frozen World (153 Speed);
_against a Smeargle (249 Speed);

Expected results for Smeargle's speed:
_at -1 speed: 166 Speed (still faster than Kyurem);
_at -2 speed: 124 Speed (thus being slower than Kyurem).

_Smeargle used Covet
(Kyurem took damage)
_Kyurem used Frozen World
(Smeargle took damage)
Smeargle's Speed fell! (that wasn't looking good already, and the flavor text definitely wasn't harshly fell but simply fell...)

Next Turn Smeargle still moved first (no priority move), so we can conclude that Frozen World lowers the foe's speed one stage only, and the fact that Frozen World is really Icy Wind with just 10 more BP...

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I believe Frozen World has a different effect number from Icy Wind, though.

Maybe it lowers speed AND has a chance to freeze?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I was positive it had been reported to lower Speed two stages. I have no idea where I heard that, though.

EDIT -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KOx9KpJ0mM

4:30-4:40, Frozen World is used. "VENUSAUR no subayasa ga sagatta!". I believe this is the -1 Speed message (iirc, there would be a "gunto" somewhere if it were -2), but Veekun says no other move has the same effect number of Frozen World. Same thing with Cold Bolt/Flare, as they should have the same effect numbers of Discharge/Lava Plume. Sooooo, CanadiEntei may be on the right track.

Tested that 50 times against a Blissey (max elixirs helped here):
_the first 6 ones lowered Blissey's speed (definitely -1 speed per hit :/ sorry Mario With Lasers);
_the others did nothing BUT damage (no secondary effect like freeze)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)