B&W Research Thread

Can Milk Drink and Softboiled be used on allies in a multibattle? I noticed on Serebii it said that it may also recover an ally's health yet it still list the target as user so I'm not sure.

Can Milk Drink and Softboiled be used on allies in a multibattle? I noticed on Serebii it said that it may also recover an ally's health yet it still list the target as user so I'm not sure.
I think that refers to how one can use those moves outside of battle to cut some HP from the user and use it to restore the HP of another Pokemon on your team.

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Confirming some breeding info:

60% chance to inherit DW if female parent has it
50% chance for everstone to work
3 different IVs ALWAYS inherited
Equal chance for any IV to be inherited
Equal chance for any parent to pass IV

Other things:
Ability is calculated from PID differently this gen. Trading a gen4 pokemon with two possible abilities may get the opposite ability when it evolves (Recalculation of ability still happens on evo)

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Ability is calculated from PID differently this gen. Trading a gen4 pokemon with two possible abilities may get the opposite ability when it evolves (Recalculation of ability still happens on evo)
Well THAT'S annoying!

Thanks for the research. Looks like Breeding works pretty much identical to how HGSS does it, aside from the DW ability thingy, right?

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In HGSS you could get 3 IVs passed, and everstones were different too

everstones and syncs this gen are much nicer, they don't have to get a new PID, they just overwrite the nature.

It's so much nicer this gen

Edit: yeah it's only 3, I didn't do much HGSS breeding back then :)

Other things:
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU..... Oh well, I guess I'll have to fully evolve my Pokémon in HG/SS before I transfer them to B/W. :/

Now that most of the RNG mechanics are cracked, what would you guys say: Is breeding in B/W easier than in HG/SS? I would assume so, since not having to hit a certain delay makes the process much less frustrating and error-sensitive...

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU..... Oh well, I guess I'll have to fully evolve my Pokémon in HG/SS before I transfer them to B/W. :/

Now that most of the RNG mechanics are cracked, what would you guys say: Is breeding in B/W easier than in HG/SS? I would assume so, since not having to hit a certain delay makes the process much less frustrating and error-sensitive...
It seems harder since you seem to have no real in-game method of verifying your seed, like you do in Gen4. But to be fair, I haven't tried for Gen5 yet.

everstones and syncs this gen are much nicer, they don't have to get a new PID, they just overwrite the nature.

Woah. That means if I use Non-C-Gear RNG methods and my Sync does not
work on my seed / frame, I have to find a different seed that yields the IV's
I want and hope that the new one "enables" the synch to work?
You already said that Abilities are derived from the PID in a different way in
gen 5, which means that if a Pokémon you transfered over from Gen 4
evolves in B/W, his ability might change.
Important question! If I use a synchronizer in Gen 5 to "enforce" a certain
nature on a wild Pokémon in Gen 5 regardless of its PID, and I evolve that
Pokémon, can its nature change because the game recalculates it
from the PID?

Other things:
So let me get this straight. When I transfer my Shellder, teach it Shell Break and Shell Blade, and evolve it into Cloyster, it could lose Skill Link?!

Pokemon transferred have a 50/50 chance of changing abilities upon evolving.
Pokes caught in black or white never change their ability upon evolving, unless they totally lose it (for example, the doggy's pick up)

Pokemon transferred have a 50/50 chance of changing abilities upon evolving.
OK, so when is it determined whether or not the ability changes? When it's transferred or when it evolves? Like, say I transfer Shellder over, save the game, and evolve it, and its ability changes to Shell Armor. Could I reset the game and evolve Shellder again, and there would be a chance that its ability would stay as Skill Link? I spent far too long breeding up this Shellder to have it become friggin' useless!

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
OK, so when is it determined whether or not the ability changes? When it's transferred or when it evolves? Like, say I transfer Shellder over, save the game, and evolve it, and its ability changes to Shell Armor. Could I reset the game and evolve Shellder again, and there would be a chance that its ability would stay as Skill Link? I spent far too long breeding up this Shellder to have it become friggin' useless!
The way I'm reading it, it will change it's ability when it evolves.

The PID is set when the Shellder egg is picked up, and that PID will determine if the ability will change or not when it evolves in B/W.

If it works anything like the transfer from 3rd to 4th gen, I believe that you can't just reset it and evolve it.

It works the exact same way it worked when using pal park in Gen IV.
Abilities can change during evolution. That's it.
edit: I'm talking from my experiencies migrating ~30 pokes

If it works anything like the transfer from 3rd to 4th gen, I believe that you can't just reset it and evolve it.
It works the exact same way it worked when using pal park in Gen IV.
Abilities can change during evolution. That's it.
edit: I'm talking from my experiencies migrating ~30 pokes
The PID is set when the Shellder egg is picked up, and that PID will determine if the ability will change or not when it evolves in B/W.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Any way for me to find out ahead of time, since it's based on something that's already set? Any way I can find out the PID and whether or not it will trigger an ability change? The only Pokemon I'll need to evolve after I get them into B/W are Shellder and two Clamperl, and since Huntail and Gorebyss can only have Swift Swim in any case, Shellder's my main concern at the moment.

EDIT: OK, found out my Shellder's PID:

PID: 2758009054 [A463E0DE] | Created by Method 3 | Gender Number: 222 | Ability: 0
1 possibility

So, could anyone possibly tell me whether my Shellder's ability will change to Shell Armor, or stay as Skill Link when I transfer and evolve it?

breh

強いだね
guys this is the research thread please don't clutter it

use SQSA for that :/

(wtf do you need 4th gen Shellder for anyway? it only gets Icy Wind and Sleep Talk as 4th gen moves that are good)

(wtf do you need 4th gen Shellder for anyway? it only gets Icy Wind and Sleep Talk as 4th gen moves that are good)
It's not that I couldn't just breed one up in Black version, it's that I spent all that time breeding it up in HG, in anticipation of Black version. If this Shellder turns out to be of the kind whose ability would change to Shell Armor in Black and White upon evolution, I'll breed another one. I'm just a little upset at the thought of my hard work going to waste.

Just wait, and breed it when Black and White come out, that way you can
breed one with assurance, if your little buddy ends up screwing you over
by changing abilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)