[Balanced Hackmons] Mega Venusaur [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
QC 3/3 [Kingslayer2779 E4 Flint Pikachuun]
GP 2/2 [The Dutch Plumberjack P Squared]

[OVERVIEW]

Venusaur is a unique Pokemon. While its subpar stats may cause many players pass over it without thinking twice, its Grass / Poison typing has interesting defensive properties that grant it a niche in Balanced Hackmons. The most obvious of these is an immunity to Spore, Leech Seed, and Toxic, all without the need to run an item like Safety Goggles or an ability like Sap Sipper or Magic Guard. A less blatant effect is a resistance to Fairy moves, allowing it to check many threats like Moonblast Kyogre or Pixilate Mega Diancie. However, that same typing gives it crippling weaknesses to three extremely common attacking types. The weaknesses to Flying and Ice are extremely problematic, as Venusaur cannot run an ability to make it immune to either one. Its weakness to Psychic is not as harmful, though, as Venusaur usually does not like to stay in on Pokemon that use Psychic attacks anyway.

[SET]
name: Prankster
move 1: Trick
move 2: Recover
move 3: Spore / Leech Seed / Topsy-Turvy
move 4: Giga Drain / Destiny Bond
item: Black Sludge / Choice Scarf
ability: Prankster
nature: Calm
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick swaps items between Mega Venusaur and its foe, indefinitely crippling Pokemon such as Chansey and Shedinja. A recovery move grants Mega Venusaur longevity should Venusaur be needed late-game. Spore can quickly incapacitate an opposing Pokemon and cannot harm Venusaur if it is reflected by Magic Coat or Magic Bounce. Leech Seed can be chosen to sap the enemy's health and will KO all Shedinja that switch into Mega Venusaur, whereas Topsy-Turvy is an option to quickly stop a boosted foe before it gets out of control, and it does not require sacrificing Venusaur to do it. Heart Swap can be considered instead of Topsy-Turvy if running Baton Pass as a fourth move, but this isn't always wise, as Venusaur already has four-moveslot syndrome. Giga Drain stops Venusaur from being complete Taunt bait, but it is rather weak. Finally, Destiny Bond can bring something down when Venusaur is not needed anymore.

Set Details
========

Black Sludge is the preferred item instead of Choice Scarf for several reasons. Not only can Venusaur function perfectly well while still holding it, but it is also generally more harmful to most Pokemon in the Balanced Hackmons environment. As Venusaur has the option to run Metal Burst, 0 Speed IVs and a Sassy nature can be used if choosing to use that move. A specially defensive spread and a Calm nature are chosen because a lot of the Pokemon threatened by Venusaur are biased towards special attacks. Prankster gives priority to all of the listed moves bar Giga Drain, allowing Venusaur to surprise its foe before it can even move.

Usage Tips
========

At Team Preview, try to evaluate which opposing Pokemon are hurt the most by Black Sludge or by Spore and how you can deal with them if you mispredict. Because you only get one chance to Trick Black Sludge, mispredicting can be costly. If you do Trick it onto your intended target, be cautious about scrambling enemy items, as your opponent may try to get their Black Sludge Tricked away from them. However, Venusaur can safely hold many otherwise hazardous items, so feel free to scramble Toxic Orbs among the enemy's team. When you are finished swapping items around, Destiny Bond can easily stop out-of-control sweepers without risking a Speed tie with an Imposter user.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate their few checks being crippled by Spore or a hazardous item are good teammates for Venusaur. Mega Venusaur's ability to remove Plates from Judgment users like Mega Mewtwo Y and Mega Gengar tends to make Giratina a good teammate, especially as it can carry a Griseous Orb to become immune to an Imposter user's Trick. Pokemon that appreciate the free switches Venusaur causes, such as Mega Tyranitar, Tinted Lens Dialga, and the Mega Mewtwo formes, also make for good partners. Because Venusaur is weak to Ice and Flying, Pokemon that can beat Aerilate and Refrigerate users are a necessity, with Flash Fire Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash in particular being great teammates for Prankster Venusaur. Lastly, Pokemon that are immune to Trick (and the other moves Venusaur carries) make for good partners due to their ability to counter Imposters trying to Trick their items away. A Magic Bounce Pokemon with an un-Trickable item such as Mail is usually a good answer.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

While there are a massive number of moves Venusaur can run that benefit from Prankster, only some are worth consideration. Haze is an alternative to Topsy-Turvy or Heart Swap that has more PP than both, is not reflected by Magic Bounce, does not leave Venusaur less bulky if the opponent has used Shell Smash, and goes through Substitutes. However, Haze doesn't leave the opponent at a disadvantage, so it is generally not preferred. Aromatherapy and Stealth Rock can support the rest of the team but can just as easily be run on a teammate. Taunt and Encore can disrupt an opponent and provide free switches in. Infestation is an alternative to Leech Seed that can trap a foe to ease prediction with Trick while going through Magic Bounce at the cost of recovery. Venusaur can use switching moves like Parting Shot and Baton Pass effectively to gain momentum. Venusaur can also run a Toxic Orb to Trick onto the foe, although due to the prominence of Poison Heal and Steel-type Pokemon, this is largely outclassed by Black Sludge.

Venusaur can effectively run a Flash Fire set that can counter many threatening Pokemon like Mega Diancie effectively due to its resistances. The set consists of Roost, Thousand Waves, Giga Drain, and Entrainment with a specially defensive spread to counter Poison Heal Kyogre with Ice Beam or a mixed spread of 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD with a Bold nature to better check Poison Heal Arceus and Tyranitar. Running Venusaurite is also an option on this set, as it makes Venusaur immune to Trick.

Venusaur is easily outclassed in terms of stats alone, so its best sets take advantage of its unique defensive typing in the Balanced Hackmons metagame. When designing your own Venusaur set, check to see if your set can work better on a different Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Aerilate or Refrigerate Users**:
No abilities exist that grant immunity to Flying or Ice moves, and Venusaur's bulk is merely average, meaning Aerilate and Refrigerate users have no problem eliminating it.
**Anti-Trick Pokemon**: Certain items block the use of Trick when held by certain Pokemon. These items include all Mega Stones and Primal Orbs, the Griseous Orb, Genesect's Drives, all Plates on Arceus, and Mail, which is the only item out of these that can be Knocked Off. Primal Groudon is immune to Trick and, while it fears Spore, can easily threaten Venusaur with a high-powered Fire move.
**Imposter Users**: Imposter Pokemon can switch into Venusaur and stall out a decent portion of its PP while not fearing any of its moves. Additionally, if Venusaur has no teammates that are immune to Trick, it runs the risk of an Imposter Pokemon giving its Black Sludge to one of Venusaur's own teammates.
**Mega Rayquaza**: Mega Rayquaza gets special mention due to the fact that it both 4x resists Giga Drain and has incredibly high-powered priority STAB moves that can often OHKO Venusaur. It does fear Spore while switching in, however.
**Substitute**: While the move is uncommon, Venusaur cannot do anything to a target behind a Substitute.

Last edited:
I'm reluctant to QC this for two reasons: 1) I haven't used this Pokemon in ORAS, and 2) I haven't seen anyone use it in quite a while, especially not the Flash Fire set. (I'm honestly surprised this was approved for an analysis in spite of being ranked C-.)

Does anyone have any replays of this doing anything, or at least some sort of explanation of what relevant offensive threats it can beat?

I'm reluctant to QC this for two reasons: 1) I haven't used this Pokemon in ORAS, and 2) I haven't seen anyone use it in quite a while, especially not the Flash Fire set. (I'm honestly surprised this was approved for an analysis in spite of being ranked C-.)

Does anyone have any replays of this doing anything, or at least some sort of explanation of what relevant offensive threats it can beat?
I agree with this completely. M-Venu doesn't have much of a niche. It used to be a good MBouncer but now is sorely outclassed IMO. I don't think Venu is good enough for an analysis currently.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/balancedhackmons-249978360

Relevant offensive threats the Flash Fire set beats:
  • Mega Diancie (Since Primal Groudon can no longer run an item this is huge)
  • Adamant PH Arceus(If EV'd appropriately)
  • Poison Heal Kyogre (252+ SpA Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Venusaur: 154-182 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery) or (252+ SpA Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Venusaur: 178-210 (49 - 57.8%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery) this is the absolute worst scenario
  • PH Tyranitar if EV'd appropriately (If unboosted, even if it boosts on the switch, you can force it out)
Relevant offensive threats the Prankster set beats:
  • Mega Gengar (While you don't beat it directly if not running Topsy-Turvy or Encore, you can hugely cripple it by tricking its Spooky Plate away with priority and also spore it)
  • Anything that fears status or hates Black Sludge
  • Set-up sweepers that don't utilize priority

Venusaur is better used to beat balance than offense, and it is by no means the best thing that does. Also being in C- hasn't stopped a lot of things in standard tiers from getting an analysis.

I agree with this completely. M-Venu doesn't have much of a niche. It used to be a good MBouncer but now is sorely outclassed IMO. I don't think Venu is good enough for an analysis currently.
I disagree, Mega Venusaur is not outclassed in the current metagame. Outclassed implies there is something else that does Venusaur's job better. However the only viable Grass types in BH are itself, Ferrothorn, and Mega Sceptile. The other 2 pokemon are D rank. Additionally the only other viable Poison type is Mega Gengar. Therefore Mega Venusaur is the most viable bulky Grass or Poison type. Both of these types have unique niches. Grass types are immune to Spore, and Poison types are immune to Toxic, absorb Toxic Spikes and can hold Black Sludge without taking damage.

Therefore Mega Vensuaur carves out a role with a Prankster Spore set. With a built in spore immunity, it does not need Goggles for imposter. Its basically the ultimate harassment set, crippling walls, put everything without Poison Heal or Goggles to sleep, then taking an important sweeper down with Destiny bond. Yes, a good player can find outs against Mega Venusaur to prevent it from crippling their team, and Mega Venusaur isn't very bulky, but its still the best Grass/Poison the tier has to offer. I especially the Flash Fire set's capability to counter Mega Tyranitar is relevant in the current metagame.

Overview-
  • You don't mention Venusaurite in any of your sets, so this should be in other options.
Set 1-
  • You need to stick to 3 moves per slot, or 2 slashes. Pick the best moves, then talk about the rest in the Moves section, or Other Options. This is a general rule for all analysis
  • Leech Seed is not reliable enough to be Mega Venusaur's lone recovery option. Move it to other options.
  • Heart Swap seems very poor without Baton Pass, as Mega Venusaur cannot do much with boosts. It is usable, but not as good as the other options and you have too many slashes. You can keep it in the "Moves" section, but you need to take it out I the "Set" section.
  • Aromatherapy and SR are great general support moves, but it is better to run them on Pokemon with more switch in chances and longevity. Also Prankster doesn't benefit them as much as other stab moves. Like Heart Swap, take it out of "Set" but keep it in "Moves" for now.
  • Will-o-Wisp seems like an odd choice. It is exploitable by Imposter, which otherwise has few options to harm Venusaur.
  • Infestation seems to be the superior choice over Leech Seed. One can trap a passive pokemon then Trick Black Sludge on for high passive damage. While Leech Seed isn't bad, we can only put the 3 best moves in one slot.
  • Destiny Bond is fantastic with Prankster, but you didn't mention it. One if the best things Venu can do after Tricking is take a threat down with it. I suggest putting D-Bond in Will-o-Wisp's slot.
Moves-
  • Instead of just saying Leech Seed and Infestation and have Pros/Cons, give an example.
  • Mention how Mega Venusaur greatly appreciates additional healing on Leech Seed and Giga Drain.
Usage Tips-
  • You didn't mention Toxic Orb before, so I think you should move this to Other Options.
Team Options-
  • Give an example or two of Pokemon that appreciate free switch ins and can take advantage of it.
Set 2-
  • Flash Fire should be moved to other options. It isn't reliable enough for a set of its own. You said it yourself, it needs it's evs tailored to every pokemon you listed that it can beat. It cannot beat Mega Diancie and Mega Tyranitar on the same set. It also cannot beat Kyogre if it boosts on the switch. I've talked about this with the other members of the QC team and we are in agreement that this set should be moved to other options.
Checks + Counters
  • Mega Ray deserves his own mention here, as almost every set it can run will OHKO Mega Venusaur. Additionally a 4x Grass resist.
QC (1/3)

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello

Overview:
  • Combine the second and third points and move that up to be your first point
  • I'm not even sure your point of Venusaurite is even relevant, since your set does not have it. The piece in OO is enough for it
  • Specifically mention what "defensive properties" it uniquely has (resistance to Pixilate, Immunity to Spore, Resistance to Secret Sword and other fighting moves etc )

Set Prankster:
  • Personally I don't think Metal Burst is good enough on this mon to warrant a place here. I would move it to OO. Giga Drain/Destiny Bond is good enough.

Set Comments - Moves:
  • Anything here that is not in the set above this, should be put in OO for this specific set
  • Giga Drain can help it from being a total sitting duck from Taunts

Set Details:
  • Either be more specific or remove the first line. I don't have any examples for this, as I can't think of other meaningful EV spreads
  • The last line is not required. Once you move the other moves from your Set Comments, you can say this in OO

Usage Tips:
  • Can't really think of much more to say here

Team Options:
  • This first line needs to be rephrased. First off, the biggest asset this Venusaur would have is against Protean MewtwoMegaY with plate specifically, and against Mega Gengar. Combined with its Fire weakness, it would make a decent partnership with Giratina
  • Remove bit about Fake Out + Extremespeed; Venusaur is not a good partner to have to check them as it can only stop 1 of the 3
  • Include specific examples for Steel Type Pokemon e.g. Registeel or Aegislash. Flash Fire Steel types specifically would be a great partner for the Prankster Venusaur
  • Remove the last line, that seems fairly self-evident
  • A partner that can come in on an Impostered version of the Prankster set would be good e.g. a Magic Bounce mon with Mail

Other Options:
  • All the moves from the Set Details for Prankster should come here
  • Leech can be better to use than Infestation as it can siphon HP on the switch or past King's Shield, for Venusaur itself, or its teammates, can defeat Shed as well, and Venusaur does not have to stay in to benefit from it
  • Switching moves such as Parting Shot should also be considered for the Prankster set
  • Should probably move the Venusaurite point to being below the Flash Fire and Magic Bounce variants as it would be a better fit on them. They can run the trick set from the Prankster, or can opt out for a better coverage move and get an immunity to Knock Off and Trick
  • There is a lot of generalizing; unless you have concrete examples for what Magic Bounce Venusaur offers over other Magic Bounce users, like you have shown pretty well for the FF set, do not include it here
  • The last two points can likely be condensed

Checks & Counters:
  • I do not think you need this detailed explanation since you have only one set and the rest are OO. Moreover, all the sets are pretty basic
  • The chief counter would be an anti-trick Pokemon, whatever the set, as that is the main power of the Prankster set. However, specifically, Magic Bounce with Mail or a Megastone, and Primal Groudon sets make Venusaur completely useless
  • Venusaur can do little to nothing to Aerilate or Refrigerate.
  • Megaray be it the Aerilate or the Gale Wings set, can defeat Venusaur at its own priority game
  • Venusaur is pretty feckless against Imposter without a partner to come in on Trick
  • Everything else here is fairly obvious and not required to be here

Thanks. I do think Venusaur has a small niche and I think it's commendable that you manage to fit it in your teams, and not just in the Prankster capacity. However, to include all those sets here in such detail would be giving it too much credit. Just needs some condensing, and this will be a great QC.

QC2/3

Hello

Overview:
  • Combine the second and third points and move that up to be your first point
  • I'm not even sure your point of Venusaurite is even relevant, since your set does not have it. The piece in OO is enough for it
  • Specifically mention what "defensive properties" it uniquely has (resistance to Pixilate, Immunity to Spore, Resistance to Secret Sword and other fighting moves etc )

Set Prankster:
  • Personally I don't think Metal Burst is good enough on this mon to warrant a place here. I would move it to OO. Giga Drain/Destiny Bond is good enough.

Set Comments - Moves:
  • Anything here that is not in the set above this, should be put in OO for this specific set
  • Giga Drain can help it from being a total sitting duck from Taunts

Set Details:
  • Either be more specific or remove the first line. I don't have any examples for this, as I can't think of other meaningful EV spreads
  • The last line is not required. Once you move the other moves from your Set Comments, you can say this in OO

Usage Tips:
  • Can't really think of much more to say here

Team Options:
  • This first line needs to be rephrased. First off, the biggest asset this Venusaur would have is against Protean MewtwoMegaY with plate specifically, and against Mega Gengar. Combined with its Fire weakness, it would make a decent partnership with Giratina
  • Remove bit about Fake Out + Extremespeed; Venusaur is not a good partner to have to check them as it can only stop 1 of the 3
  • Include specific examples for Steel Type Pokemon e.g. Registeel or Aegislash. Flash Fire Steel types specifically would be a great partner for the Prankster Venusaur
  • Remove the last line, that seems fairly self-evident
  • A partner that can come in on an Impostered version of the Prankster set would be good e.g. a Magic Bounce mon with Mail

Other Options:
  • All the moves from the Set Details for Prankster should come here
  • Leech can be better to use than Infestation as it can siphon HP on the switch or past King's Shield, for Venusaur itself, or its teammates, can defeat Shed as well, and Venusaur does not have to stay in to benefit from it
  • Switching moves such as Parting Shot should also be considered for the Prankster set
  • Should probably move the Venusaurite point to being below the Flash Fire and Magic Bounce variants as it would be a better fit on them. They can run the trick set from the Prankster, or can opt out for a better coverage move and get an immunity to Knock Off and Trick
  • There is a lot of generalizing; unless you have concrete examples for what Magic Bounce Venusaur offers over other Magic Bounce users, like you have shown pretty well for the FF set, do not include it here
  • The last two points can likely be condensed

Checks & Counters:
  • I do not think you need this detailed explanation since you have only one set and the rest are OO. Moreover, all the sets are pretty basic
  • The chief counter would be an anti-trick Pokemon, whatever the set, as that is the main power of the Prankster set. However, specifically, Magic Bounce with Mail or a Megastone, and Primal Groudon sets make Venusaur completely useless
  • Venusaur can do little to nothing to Aerilate or Refrigerate.
  • Megaray be it the Aerilate or the Gale Wings set, can defeat Venusaur at its own priority game
  • Venusaur is pretty feckless against Imposter without a partner to come in on Trick
  • Everything else here is fairly obvious and not required to be here

Thanks. I do think Venusaur has a small niche and I think it's commendable that you manage to fit it in your teams, and not just in the Prankster capacity. However, to include all those sets here in such detail would be giving it too much credit. Just needs some condensing, and this will be a great QC.

QC2/3
Implemented.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Sup.

Moves:
Mention why Trick is so good. Even though it's a bit on the obvious side, what can it cripple by using Trick [Chansey, Shedinja, etc]?

Team Options:
Only thing I can really see that needs to be changed here is that some things need to be combined [steel types + the steel type sentence themselves can be linked for example].

Other Options:
Perhaps list Haze as an option over Heart Swap and Topsy-Turvy. It has a lot more PP, goes behind subs like Heart Swap, and can be useful in some scenarios where the other two aren't as useful [Shell Smash].

The rest seems good to me, it's difficult finding things you don't already have lol

QC 3/3

Here's a half check.
I was a little tired, so I stopped midway.

blue:add
red:remove

...don't edit in these changes unless they're approved.

[OVERVIEW]

Venusaur is a unique Pokémon. While its sub-par stats may cause many players pass over it without thinking twice, in that it has just enough bulk to take full advantage of the unique defensive properties of its Grass(space)/(space)Poison typing such as its natural immunities to Spore, Leech Seed, and Toxic. has interesting defensive properties that cause Venusaur to have a niche in Balanced Hackmons. The most obvious of these is an immunity to Spore, Leech Seed, and Toxic, all without the need to run an item like Safety Goggles or an ability like Sap Sipper or Magic Guard. A less blatant effect is that its Poison subtype gives it a resistance to Venusaur's Poison subtype also lets it resist Fairy-type moves, allowing it to check many threats like such as Moonblast Kyogre or and Pixilate Mega Diancie. However, that same typing gives it crippling weaknesses to 3 extremely common attacking types. The However, Venusaur's typing also gives it weaknesses to Flying- and Ice-type attacks, are extremely which is problematic, as Venusaur cannot run an ability to make it immune to either one they are extremely common. Its weakness to Psychic is not as harmful as Venusaur usually does not like to stay in on Pokémon that use Psychic attacks anyway.

[PRANKSTER]
ivs: 0 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick is the core of the set, swapping items with you and your opponent, indefinitely crippling lets Venusaur cripple Pokémon item-reliant Pokemon such as Chansey and Shedinja by swapping their item with a Black Sludge or Choice Scarf. A recovery move allows you Leech Seed and Giga Drain can give Venusaur some staying power should Venusaur it be needed late-game. Giga Drain also keeps Venusaur useful against Taunt users but is rather weak. Spore can quickly incapacitate an opposing Pokémon, Pokemon and cannot harm Venusaur if it is reflected by Magic Coat or Magic Bounce. Leech Seed can be chosen to sap the enemy's health, and will kill all Shedinja that switch in to you. Topsy-Turvy can quickly stop a boosted foe by inverting its stat changes. opponent before they get out of control, and does not require sacrificing Venusaur to do it. [other options]Heart Swap can be considered instead of Topsy-Turvy if running Baton Pass as a fourth move, but this isn't always wise as Venusaur already has 4MSS.[/other options] Giga Drain stops Venusaur from being complete taunt bait, but is rather weak. Finally, Destiny Bond can bring something down when Venusaur is not needed any more. Destiny Bond can sacrifice Venusaur when its no longer needed in order to bring down a threat. not needed any more.

Set Details
========

Black Sludge is the preferred item instead of Choice Scarf for several reasons. Not only can Venusaur function perfectly well while still holding it, but it is because it does not restrict Venusaur's move choices and is generally more harmful to most Pokémon in the metagame Balanced Hackmons environment. [other options]As Venusaur has the option to run Metal Burst, 0 Speed IVs and a Sassy Nature can be used if choosing to use that move.[/other options]

!!(EXPLAIN THE ABILITY, EVS, and IVS)!!

Usage Tips
========

Venusaur requires careful thought and prediction to use.
At Team Preview, try to evaluate which opposing Pokémon are hurt the most by Black Sludge or by Spore,[remove comma] and how you can deal with them if you mispredict. Since you only get 1 one Black Sludge, mispredicting can be costly. If you do Trick your intended target, be cautious about scrambling enemy items, as your opponent may try to get their Black Sludge Tricked away from them. However, Venusaur can safely hold many otherwise hazardous items, so feel free to scramble Toxic Orbs among the enemy's team. When you are finished swapping items around, Destiny Bond can easily stop out-of-control sweepers without risking a speed tie with an Imposter.

Team Options
========

Pokémon that appreciate their few checks being crippled by Spore or a hazardous item are good teammates for Venusaur. Being able to remove Plates from Judgment users like Mega Mewtwo Y and Mega Gengar tends to make Giratina a good teammate, especially since it can carry a Griseous Orb to become immune to Trick. Pokémon that appreciate the free switches Venusaur causes, like Mega Tyranitar, Tinted Lens Dialga, and the Mega Mewtwos, also make good partners. Since Venusaur is weak to Ice and Flying, Pokémon that can beat Aerilate and Refrigerate users are a necessity, Flash Fire Steels such as Registeel and Aegislash in particular being great teammates for Prankster Venusaur. Lastly, Pokémon that are immune to Trick (and the other moves Venusaur carries) make good partners due to being able to counter Imposters trying to Trick their items away. A Magic Bounce Pokémon with an un-Trickable item like Mail is usually a good answer.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

While there are a massive number of moves Venusaur can run that benefit from Prankster, only some are worth commentary. Venusaur can run a somewhat effective Metal Burst set with 0 Speed IVs and a Sassy nature. Heart Swap can be considered instead of Topsy Turvy if running Baton Pass, but Venusaur tends to suffer from four-moveslot syndrome, which reduces its viability. Haze is an alternative to Topsy-Turvy or Heart Swap that has more PP than both, cannot be Magic Bounced, does not leave Venusaur less bulky if the opponent has used Shell Smash, and goes through Substitutes. However, Haze doesn't leave the opponent at a disadvantage, so it has fewer reasons to be run. Aromatherapy and Stealth Rock can support the rest of the team, but can just as easily be run on a teammate. Taunt and Encore can disrupt an opponent and provide free switch-ins. Infestation is an alternative to Leech Seed that can trap an opponent to ease prediction with Trick while going through Magic Bounce at the cost of recovery. Venusaur can use switching moves like Parting Shot and Baton Pass effectively to gain momentum. Venusaur can also run a Toxic Orb to Trick on to the opponent, although due to the prominence of Poison Heal and Steel-Typed Pokémon, this is largely outclassed by Black Sludge.

Venusaur can effectively run a Flash Fire set that can counter many threatening Pokémon like Mega Diancie effectively due to its resistances. The set consists of Roost, Thousand Waves, Giga Drain, and Entrainment with a specially defensive spread to counter Poison Heal Kyogre with Ice Beam or a mixed spread of 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SDef with a Bold nature to better check Poison Heal Arceus and Tyranitar. Running Venusaurite is also an option on this set as it makes Venusaur resistant to Trick.

Venusaur is easily outclassed in terms of stats alone, so Venusaur's best sets take advantage of its unique defensive typing in the Balanced Hackmons metagame. When designing your own Venusaur set, check to see if your set can work better on a different Pokémon.

Checks and Counters
===================

• Aerilate or Refrigerate users: No abilities exist that grant immunity to Flying or Ice moves, and Venusaur's bulk is merely average.
  • Anti-Trick Pokémon: Certain items block the use of Trick when held by certain Pokémon. These items include all Mega Stones and Primal Orbs, the Griseous Orb, Genesect's Drives, all Plates on Arceus, and Mail, the only item out of these that can be Knocked Off.
  • Primal Groudon is immune to Trick, and, while it fears Spore, can easily threaten Venusaur with a high-powered Fire move.
  • Imposters: Imposter Pokémon can switch in to Venusaur and stall out a decent portion of its PP while not fearing any of its moves. Additionally, if Venusaur has no teammates that are immune to Trick, it runs the risk of an Imposter giving its Black Sludge to one of Venusaur's teammates.
  • Mega Rayquaza: Mega Rayquaza gets special mention due to the fact that it both 4x resists Giga Drain and has incredibly high-powered priority STABs that can often OHKO Venusaur. It does fear Spore while switching in, however.
  • Substitute: While uncommon, Venusaur cannot do anything to a target behind a Substitute.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
couple notes:
- most of these Venusaurs should be Mega Venusaur, especially with the set not running Venusaurite, so be sure to do a ctrl+f and change those when you implement the check;
- "Pokemon" is spelled without the acute in c&c.
- your checks and counters section was formatted wrong, so i fixed it.

if this is your first analysis, be sure to implement it via the reply button (delete the reds + address the comments + deformat the blues by clicking "none" in the colour tab)

remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Venusaur is a unique Pokémon Pokemon. While its subpar (remove hyphen) stats may cause many players pass over it without thinking twice, its Grass(space)/(space)Poison typing has interesting defensive properties that cause Venusaur to have grant it a niche in Balanced Hackmons. The most obvious of these is an immunity to Spore, Leech Seed, and Toxic, all without the need to run an item like Safety Goggles or an ability like Sap Sipper or Magic Guard. A less blatant effect is that its Poison subtype gives it a resistance to Fairy moves, allowing it to check many threats like Moonblast Kyogre or Pixilate Mega Diancie. However, that same typing gives it crippling weaknesses to 3 three extremely common attacking types. The weaknesses to Flying and Ice are extremely problematic, as Venusaur cannot run an ability to make it immune to either one. Its weakness to Psychic is not as harmful, (AC) though, (AC) as Venusaur usually does not like to stay in on Pokémon Pokemon that use Psychic attacks anyway.

[PRANKSTER] [SET]
ivs: 0 Atk (standard)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick is the core of the set, swapping swaps items with you and your opponent between Mega Venusaur and its foe, indefinitely crippling Pokémon Pokemon such as Chansey and Shedinja. A recovery move allows you staying power grants Mega Venusaur longevity should Venusaur be needed late-game. Spore can quickly incapacitate an opposing Pokémon Pokemon (RC) and cannot harm Venusaur if it is reflected by Magic Coat or Magic Bounce. Leech Seed can be chosen to sap the enemy's health (RC) and will kill KO all Shedinja that switch in to you into Mega Venusaur, (AC) and Topsy-Turvy is an option to quickly stop a boosted opponent foe before they get it gets out of control, and it does not require sacrificing Venusaur to do it. Heart Swap can be considered instead of Topsy-Turvy if running Baton Pass as a fourth move, but this isn't always wise, (AC) as Venusaur already has 4MSS four-moveslot syndrome. Giga Drain stops Venusaur from being complete Taunt bait, but it is rather weak. Finally, Destiny Bond can bring something down when Venusaur is not needed anymore. (remove space)

Set Details
========

Black Sludge is the preferred item instead of Choice Scarf for several reasons. Not only can Venusaur function perfectly well while still holding it, but it is generally more harmful to most Pokémon Pokemon in the Balanced Hackmons environment. As Venusaur has the option to run Metal Burst, 0 Speed IVs and a Sassy Nature can be used if choosing to use that move. (discuss ability + nature + EV spread too)

Usage Tips
========
Venusaur requires careful thought and prediction to use. At Team Preview, try to evaluate which opposing Pokémon Pokemon are hurt the most by Black Sludge or by Spore (RC) and how you can deal with them if you mispredict. Since Because you only get 1 one chance to Trick Black Sludge, mispredicting can be costly. If you do Trick it onto your intended target, be cautious about scrambling enemy items, as your opponent may try to get their Black Sludge Tricked away from them. However, Venusaur can safely hold many otherwise hazardous items, so feel free to scramble Toxic Orbs among the enemy's team. When you are finished swapping items around, Destiny Bond can easily stop out-of-control sweepers without risking a Speed tie with an Imposter user.

Team Options
========

Pokémon Pokemon that appreciate their few checks being crippled by Spore or a hazardous item are good teammates for Venusaur. Being able Mega Venusaur's ability to remove Plates from Judgment users like Mega Mewtwo Y and Mega Gengar tends to make Giratina a good teammate, especially since because (clarify this a tad bc I'm really not following here) it can carry a Griseous Orb to become immune to Trick. Pokémon Pokemon that appreciate the free switches Venusaur causes, like such as Mega Tyranitar, Tinted Lens Dialga, and the Mega Mewtwo formes, also make good partners. Since Because Venusaur is weak to Ice and Flying, Pokémon that can beat Aerilate and Refrigerate users are a necessity, with Flash Fire Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash in particular being great teammates for Prankster Venusaur. Lastly, Pokémon Pokemon that are immune to Trick (and the other moves Venusaur carries) make good partners due to being able to counter Imposters trying to Trick their items away. A Magic Bounce Pokémon Pokemon with an un-Trickable item like such as Mail is usually a good answer.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

While there are a massive number of moves Venusaur can run that benefit from Prankster, only some are worth commentary consideration. Haze is an alternative to Topsy-Turvy or Heart Swap that has more PP than both, cannot be Magic Bounced is not reflected by Magic Bounce, does not leave Venusaur less bulky if the opponent has used Shell Smash, and goes through Substitutes. However, Haze doesn't leave the opponent at a disadvantage, so it has fewer reasons to be run. Aromatherapy and Stealth Rock can support the rest of the team (RC) but can just as easily be run on a teammate. Taunt and Encore can disrupt an opponent and provide free switch-ins switches in. Infestation is an alternative to Leech Seed that can trap an opponent a foe to ease prediction with Trick while going through Magic Bounce at the cost of recovery. Venusaur can use switching moves like Parting Shot and Baton Pass effectively to gain momentum. Venusaur can also run a Toxic Orb to Trick onto (remove space) the opponent foe, although due to the prominence of Poison Heal and Steel-typed Pokémon Pokemon, this is largely outclassed by Black Sludge.

Venusaur can effectively run a Flash Fire set that can counter many threatening Pokémon Pokemon like Mega Diancie effectively due to its resistances. The set consists of Roost, Thousand Waves, Giga Drain, and Entrainment with a specially defensive spread to counter Poison Heal Kyogre with Ice Beam or a mixed spread of 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SDef with a Bold nature to better check Poison Heal Arceus and Tyranitar. Running Venusaurite is also an option on this set, (AC) as it makes Venusaur resistant immune to Trick.

Venusaur is easily outclassed in terms of stats alone, so Venusaur's its best sets take advantage of its unique defensive typing in the Balanced Hackmons metagame. When designing your own Venusaur set, check to see if your set can work better on a different Pokémon Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Aerilate or Refrigerate Users**: No abilities exist that grant immunity to Flying or Ice moves, and Venusaur's bulk is merely average, meaning Aerilate and Refrigerate users have no problem eliminating it.

**Anti-Trick Pokémon Pokemon**: Certain items block the use of Trick when held by certain Pokémon. These items include all Mega Stones and Primal Orbs, the Griseous Orb, Genesect's Drives, all Plates on Arceus, and Mail, which is the only item out of these that can be Knocked Off.
Primal Groudon is immune to Trick (RC) and, while it fears Spore, can easily threaten Venusaur with a high-powered Fire move.

**Imposter Users**: Imposter Pokémon Pokemon can switch in to Venusaur and stall out a decent portion of its PP while not fearing any of its moves. Additionally, if Venusaur has no teammates that are immune to Trick, it runs the risk of an Imposter giving its Black Sludge to one of Venusaur's teammates.

**Mega Rayquaza**: Mega Rayquaza gets special mention due to the fact that it both 4x resists Giga Drain and has incredibly high-powered priority STAB moves that can often OHKO Venusaur. It does fear Spore while switching in, however.

**Substitute**: While uncommon, Venusaur cannot do anything to a target behind a Substitute.

re. the amcheck, i didn't work on top of it bc you made way too many unnecessary edits and i'd end up reverting way too much :[ from what i've noticed in other amchecks you have been improving in that area though, so keep it up~
and as an additional note, the "moves" section can discuss moves that aren't slashed but are too good / set specific for OO

Last edited:
re. the amcheck, i didn't work on top of it bc you made way too many unnecessary edits and i'd end up reverting way too much :[ from what i've noticed in other amchecks you have been improving in that area though, so keep it up~
and as an additional note, the "moves" section can discuss moves that aren't slashed but are too good / set specific for OO
I understand. There was a reason I didn't finish it and told him explicitly not to use it lol. I posted it because I felt like not posting it would have made it even more of a waste of time than it already was :P

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
cake

GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Venusaur is a unique Pokemon. While its subpar stats may cause many players pass over it without thinking twice, its Grass / Poison typing has interesting defensive properties that grant it a niche in Balanced Hackmons. The most obvious of these is an immunity to Spore, Leech Seed, and Toxic, all without the need to run an item like Safety Goggles or an ability like Sap Sipper or Magic Guard. A less blatant effect is a resistance to Fairy moves, allowing it to check many threats like Moonblast Kyogre or Pixilate Mega Diancie. However, that same typing gives it crippling weaknesses to three extremely common attacking types. The weaknesses to Flying and Ice are extremely problematic, as Venusaur cannot run an ability to make it immune to either one. Its weakness to Psychic is not as harmful, though, as Venusaur usually does not like to stay in on Pokemon that use Psychic attacks anyway.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick swaps items between Mega Venusaur and its foe, indefinitely crippling Pokemon such as Chansey and Shedinja. A recovery move grants Mega Venusaur longevity should Venusaur be needed late-game. Spore can quickly incapacitate an opposing Pokemon and cannot harm Venusaur if it is reflected by Magic Coat or Magic Bounce. Leech Seed can be chosen to sap the enemy's health and will KO all Shedinja that switch into Mega Venusaur, and whereas Topsy-Turvy is an option to quickly stop a boosted foe before it gets out of control, and it does not require sacrificing Venusaur to do it. Heart Swap can be considered instead of Topsy-Turvy if running Baton Pass as a fourth move, but this isn't always wise, as Venusaur already has four-moveslot syndrome. Giga Drain stops Venusaur from being complete Taunt bait, but it is rather weak. Finally, Destiny Bond can bring something down when Venusaur is not needed anymore.

Set Details
========

Black Sludge is the preferred item instead of Choice Scarf for several reasons. Not only can Venusaur function perfectly well while still holding it, but it is also generally more harmful to most Pokemon in the Balanced Hackmons environment. As Venusaur has the option to run Metal Burst, 0 Speed IVs and a Sassy nature can be used if choosing to use that move. A specially defensive spread and a Calm nature are chosen because a lot of the Pokemon threatened by Venusaur are biased towards special attacks. Prankster gives priority to all of the listed moves bar Giga Drain, allowing Venusaur to surprise its foe before it can even move.

Usage Tips
========

At Team Preview, try to evaluate which opposing Pokemon are hurt the most by Black Sludge or by Spore and how you can deal with them if you mispredict. Because you only get one chance to Trick Black Sludge, mispredicting can be costly. If you do Trick it onto your intended target, be cautious about scrambling enemy items, as your opponent may try to get their Black Sludge Tricked away from them. However, Venusaur can safely hold many otherwise hazardous items, so feel free to scramble Toxic Orbs among the enemy's team. When you are finished swapping items around, Destiny Bond can easily stop out-of-control sweepers without risking a Speed tie with an Imposter user.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate their few checks being crippled by Spore or a hazardous item are good teammates for Venusaur. Mega Venusaur's ability to remove Plates from Judgment users like Mega Mewtwo Y and Mega Gengar tends to make Giratina a good teammate, especially since as it can carry a Griseous Orb to become immune to an Imposter user's Trick. Pokemon that appreciate the free switches Venusaur causes, such as Mega Tyranitar, Tinted Lens Dialga, and the Mega Mewtwo formes, also make for good partners. Because Venusaur is weak to Ice and Flying, Pokemon that can beat Aerilate and Refrigerate users are a necessity, with Flash Fire Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash in particular being great teammates for Prankster Venusaur. Lastly, Pokemon that are immune to Trick (and the other moves Venusaur carries) make for good partners due to their ability being able to counter Imposters trying to Trick their items away. A Magic Bounce Pokemon with an un-Trickable item such as Mail is usually a good answer.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

While there are a massive number of moves Venusaur can run that benefit from Prankster, only some are worth consideration. Haze is an alternative to Topsy-Turvy or Heart Swap that has more PP than both, is not reflected by Magic Bounce, does not leave Venusaur less bulky if the opponent has used Shell Smash, and goes through Substitutes. However, Haze doesn't leave the opponent at a disadvantage, so it has fewer reasons to be run (ok you just listed a bunch of reasons why Haze is good, so this feels inaccurate. can you just say ", so it is generally not preferred" or something). Aromatherapy and Stealth Rock can support the rest of the team but can just as easily be run on a teammate. Taunt and Encore can disrupt an opponent and provide free switches in. Infestation is an alternative to Leech Seed that can trap a foe to ease prediction with Trick while going through Magic Bounce at the cost of recovery. Venusaur can use switching moves like Parting Shot and Baton Pass effectively to gain momentum. Venusaur can also run a Toxic Orb to Trick onto the foe, although due to the prominence of Poison Heal and Steel-type Pokemon, this is largely outclassed by Black Sludge.

Venusaur can effectively run a Flash Fire set that can counter many threatening Pokemon like Mega Diancie effectively due to its resistances. The set consists of Roost, Thousand Waves, Giga Drain, and Entrainment with a specially defensive spread to counter Poison Heal Kyogre with Ice Beam or a mixed spread of 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD with a Bold nature to better check Poison Heal Arceus and Tyranitar. Running Venusaurite is also an option on this set, (AC) as it makes Venusaur immune to Trick.

Venusaur is easily outclassed in terms of stats alone, so its best sets take advantage of its unique defensive typing in the Balanced Hackmons metagame. When designing your own Venusaur set, check to see if your set can work better on a different Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================
(take these out of bullets and get rid of the spaces around the asterisks)

No abilities exist that grant immunity to Flying or Ice moves, and Venusaur's bulk is merely average, meaning Aerilate and Refrigerate users have no problem eliminating it.
**Anti-Trick Pokemon**: Certain items block the use of Trick when held by certain Pokemon. These items include all Mega Stones and Primal Orbs, the Griseous Orb, Genesect's Drives, all Plates on Arceus, and Mail, which is the only item out of these that can be Knocked Off. (keep this all in one paragraph; don't separate it into another line) Primal Groudon is immune to Trick, (RC) and, while it fears Spore, can easily threaten Venusaur with a high-powered Fire move.
**Imposter Users**: Imposter Pokemon can switch into Venusaur and stall out a decent portion of its PP while not fearing any of its moves. Additionally, if Venusaur has no teammates that are immune to Trick, it runs the risk of an Imposter Pokemon giving its Black Sludge to one of Venusaur's own teammates.
**Substitute**: While the move is uncommon, Venusaur cannot do anything to a target behind a Substitute.

Last edited:
cake

[OVERVIEW]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick swaps items between Mega Venusaur and its foe, indefinitely crippling Pokemon such as Chansey and Shedinja. A recovery move grants Mega Venusaur longevity should Venusaur be needed late-game. Spore can quickly incapacitate an opposing Pokémon and cannot harm Venusaur if it is reflected by Magic Coat or Magic Bounce. Leech Seed can be chosen to sap the enemy's health and will KO all Shedinja that switch into Mega Venusaur, and Topsy-Turvy is an option to quickly stop a boosted foe before it gets out of control, and it does not require sacrificing Venusaur to do it. Heart Swap can be considered instead of Topsy-Turvy if running Baton Pass as a fourth move, but this isn't always wise, as Venusaur already has four-moveslot syndrome. Giga Drain stops Venusaur from being complete Taunt bait, but it is rather weak. Finally, Destiny Bond can bring something down when Venusaur is not needed anymore.

Set Details
========

Black Sludge is the preferred item instead of Choice Scarf for several reasons. Not only can Venusaur function perfectly well while still holding it, but it is generally more harmful to most Pokemon in the Balanced Hackmons environment. As Venusaur has the option to run Metal Burst, 0 Speed IVs and a Sassy Nature can be used if choosing to use that move. A specially defensive spread and a Calm nature are chosen because a lot of the Pokemon threatened by Venusaur are biased towards Special attacks. Prankster gives priority to all of the listed moves bar Giga Drain, allowing Venusaur to surprise its foe before it can even move.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate their few checks being crippled by Spore or a hazardous item are good teammates for Venusaur. Mega Venusaur's ability to remove Plates from Judgment users like Mega Mewtwo Y and Mega Gengar tends to make Giratina a good teammate, especially since it can carry a Griseous Orb to become immune to an Imposter user's Trick. Pokemon that appreciate the free switches Venusaur causes, such as Mega Tyranitar, Tinted Lens Dialga, and the Mega Mewtwo formes, also make good partners. Because Venusaur is weak to Ice and Flying, Pokémon that can beat Aerilate and Refrigerate users are a necessity, with Flash Fire Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash in particular being great teammates for Prankster Venusaur. Lastly, Pokemon that are immune to Trick (and the other moves Venusaur carries) make good partners due to being able to counter Imposters trying to Trick their items away. A Magic Bounce Pokemon with an un-Trickable item such as Mail is usually a good answer.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

While there are a massive number of moves Venusaur can run that benefit from Prankster, only some are worth consideration. Haze is an alternative to Topsy-Turvy or Heart Swap that has more PP than both, is not reflected by Magic Bounce, does not leave Venusaur less bulky if the opponent has used Shell Smash, and goes through Substitutes. However, Haze doesn't leave the opponent at a disadvantage, so it has fewer reasons to be run (ok you just listed a bunch of reasons why Haze is good, so this feels inaccurate. can you just say ", so it is generally not preferred" or something). Aromatherapy and Stealth Rock can support the rest of the team but can just as easily be run on a teammate. Taunt and Encore can disrupt an opponent and provide free switches in. Infestation is an alternative to Leech Seed that can trap a foe to ease prediction with Trick while going through Magic Bounce at the cost of recovery. Venusaur can use switching moves like Parting Shot and Baton Pass effectively to gain momentum. Venusaur can also run a Toxic Orb to Trick onto the foe, although due to the prominence of Poison Heal and Steel-typed Pokemon, this is largely outclassed by Black Sludge.

Venusaur can effectively run a Flash Fire set that can counter many threatening Pokemon like Mega Diancie effectively due to its resistances. The set consists of Roost, Thousand Waves, Giga Drain, and Entrainment with a specially defensive spread to counter Poison Heal Kyogre with Ice Beam or a mixed spread of 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SDef with a Bold nature to better check Poison Heal Arceus and Tyranitar. Running Venusaurite is also an option on this set as it makes Venusaur immune to Trick.

Checks and Counters
===================
(take these out of bullets and get rid of the spaces around the asterisks)

**Anti-Trick Pokemon**: Certain items block the use of Trick when held by certain Pokemon. These items include all Mega Stones and Primal Orbs, the Griseous Orb, Genesect's Drives, all Plates on Arceus, and Mail, which is the only item out of these that can be Knocked Off. (keep this all in one paragraph; don't separate it into another line) Primal Groudon is immune to Trick, (RC) and, while it fears Spore, can easily threaten Venusaur with a high-powered Fire move.
Is this done? It says WIP, but it seems Anna has implemented it. Want to double check...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)