Baton Pass - its role in the metagame and possible solutions to nerf full Baton Pass chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
"set up multiple times with ease" = Had to baton pass just speed boosts in the first time, was against a scarfed hydro pump in the second... both of which could be easily done with a Ninjask.
"how Scolipede overcomes offensive pressure from M-Pinsir and Talonflame" = Scolipede wasnt in the field when neither of these appeared. "Seeing a Scolipede counter and leading with something else" doesnt equal Scolipede overcoming offensive pressure. Also your opponent used Stealth Rock against a Scolipede... pretty sure that counts as a big mistake too.
"tanks x3 shell smash cloyster" = lost over 50% health from an unboosted move, baton passed before any shell smashes happened, then the cloyster did negligible damage because he got burnt before attacking and even missed the third rock blast. Cloyster didnt even get a third shell smash by the way.
"embarasses 3x dragon dance Char-X" = Couldnt keep sub up against a 1x dragon dance, but then the opponent decided to randomly use more dragon dances instead of breaking more subs, dooming himself. Again, Scolipede didnt even face a 3x dragon dance.
Are you just posting lots of replays in the hopes of no one bothering with them and going "woah, Scoliped tanked +6 Cloyster? Scolipede
OP!" ?

Scolipede is not broken because you can easily kill it at turn 1, just dont click the replay guys believe in me pls : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-112291911
We've already discussed how Ninjask is too frail and too unreliable to set up multiple times, nevermind once, with far more checks and counters than Scolipede.

You're missing the entire point: Scolipede has the bulk, speed, and versatility to reliably set up multiple times, even against hyper offensive threats. He switched out, you don't say? That's the point. The fact he can freely gather x3 Speed for the entire time with no effort, and trivially grab x2-3 Def even in the face of these 'counters' and Pass makes him uncompetitive. It's Scolipede's overwhelming support to the Baton Pass chain, not him 1v1 with his counters, that make him uncompetitive. He ensures the team can tank any threat with no effort.

Last edited:
No, you're the one missing the entire point.
I agree that Scolipede is the biggest offender in BP teams and that a ban against him would make these teams much more manageable, but your whole argument is filled with very ugly exaggerations. You claim the opponent made no mistakes when he clearly did, that Scolipede overcame X pokemon when he didnt face it, that he can tank a 3x shell smash cloyster when that would be enough to kill 3 Scolipedes at +2 def, etc.
I get that you really really REALLY want Scolipede to be banned, but straight up lying to make him look insanely stronger is not the way to go.

Also please stop using the word "uncompetitive" randomly. He is merely the best at getting free boosts, which are not uncompetitive themselves since you need an entire team dedicated to preventing them from being lost in the first place. If anything Scoli would be broken, but he needs 3~4 other specific pokes to check 95% of his counters in order to be broken. Trade Sylveon, Espeon and Smeargle for anything else you want and see if Scoli's support is still godlike.

We've already discussed how Ninjask is too frail and too unreliable to set up multiple times, nevermind once, with far more checks and counters than Scolipede.
Downgrading to Ninjask means you :
- now need Vaporeon/Sashed Smeargle to boost defense
- cant set up against non-fighting priority
- have trouble dealing with physical HO in general
- most likely cant start the chain again, which you wont even need to do unless your opponent has several BP checks/scored lucky crits

Scolipede ban wont solve the BP problem entirely, only increase the number of counters, or rather, make the current checks more reliable. If anything, banning Espeon would open twice as many options to deal with BP.
Hell, people were testing an agility Zapdos lead to see if a blanket speed boost ban would fix everything and most teams still instalost against it.

I would support a Scolipede ban if I thought that would balance BP Abuse teams, but nope, the testing shows taking out Scolipede and leaving the Espeon+Sylveon+(Choose at least two of Smeargle+Zapdos+Vaporeon) core intact still gives us a terribly uncompetitive team.

My opinion is that banning scolo AND banning ingrain smeargle will be enough to balance BP against all teams. I think Hiphiphooray brought up a lot of good points about ingrain smeargle, but I also think that BP is also a bit too strong against offensive teams. Atm, scolo can setup both speed AND defense up against any physical threat without an SE STAB, making it exceedingly difficult for offensive pressure to get past scolo. Ninjask and zapdos can only boost speed in front of offensive mons, making them much more balanced.

My opinion is that banning scolo AND banning ingrain smeargle will be enough to balance BP
If the problem is exclusively setting def+speed and you're already going as far as banning pokemon+move combination with Smeargle to spare his other sets, why not iron defense Scolipede instead of Scoli?

In general, to prove that the team can deal with BP with a replay, better have:
-A good rating. 1400-1500 is enough.
-Your team being composed of viable pokemon.
-Not having unusable pokemon. And yes, I make a difference between unusable and unviable.

And a remainder, any nerf that we are doing to the OU metagame aects any lower metagame behind it.

Also, Baton Pass usage:
OU: 1,67%
OU ased on 1760 stats: 2,23%.
5 high-level replays (Denisss) of BP playing earlier today, all against teams with no specific counters (except one) and all teams were very different:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-114264122
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-114265992
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-114268665
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-114269064
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-114275870

Once 1st on the ladder, now 219th at 1755 rating, it's definitely apparent that players have caught on to how BP works more and are able to use that understanding to greatly increase their ability to win against it.

Last edited:
5 high-level replays (Denisss) of BP playing earlier today, all against teams with no specific counters (except one) and all teams were very different:

Once 1st on the ladder, now 219th at 1755 rating, it's definitely apparent that players have caught on to how BP works more and are able to use that understanding to greatly increase their ability to win against it.
Woah. Your telling us the meta has evolved and we don't need to instant ban everything? I motion to suspect test your logic.

I'm not that High ladder player, but I reached once an average ELO granting me to battle with High rank strategies. I battled a couple of baton pass team, and judging from 79 pages of thread which I read only a few (tl;dr) I can get that BP is severely shaping the High ladder metagame. Ok there's this thing of playing only to enjoy, and beeing beaten by BP is not considered (at least not by yourself) a loss, but what if someone wants to climb the ladder, and has to deal with tons of BP teams which I assume by this thread to be dominant in High ladder? One has to make a team with at least an Hard counter to a specific threat. That's the reason the community banned Kanga and Luke. Now in this case we have a whole playing style to nerf. While it looks unjust to me to blanket ban either BP, Scolipede, or Espeon (which sucks dick anyway) I think something must be done. I agree with those who think limiting baton passing mons to 2 or three is fine, but I think limiting boosting moves would work. What about limiting the bosting moves on baton passers? Like Scolipede without BP and Sword dance/Iron defense on the same set and the other Baton passer only running either Acid armor or Calm mind. You can only boost one side of the defensive spectrum this way, not making the playstyle uncounterable once you have gained one miolion boosts. Even though I have to admit this would be the most complex ban in Smogon history xD.

I disagree Scolipede doesn't die in turn one unless you have out a special attacker, Talonflame, Pinsir. If those are not out Scolipede doesn't usually die
They don't understand "Substitute + Speed Boost + Protect" If a player sees hyper offensive counters like Talonflame and Pinsir, the player simply won't lead with Scolipede.
No, you're the one missing the entire point.
I agree that Scolipede is the biggest offender in BP teams and that a ban against him would make these teams much more manageable, but your whole argument is filled with very ugly exaggerations. You claim the opponent made no mistakes when he clearly did, that Scolipede overcame X pokemon when he didnt face it, that he can tank a 3x shell smash cloyster when that would be enough to kill 3 Scolipedes at +2 def, etc.
I get that you really really REALLY want Scolipede to be banned, but straight up lying to make him look insanely stronger is not the way to go.

Also please stop using the word "uncompetitive" randomly. He is merely the best at getting free boosts, which are not uncompetitive themselves since you need an entire team dedicated to preventing them from being lost in the first place. If anything Scoli would be broken, but he needs 3~4 other specific pokes to check 95% of his counters in order to be broken. Trade Sylveon, Espeon and Smeargle for anything else you want and see if Scoli's support is still godlike.

Downgrading to Ninjask means you :
- now need Vaporeon/Sashed Smeargle to boost defense
- cant set up against non-fighting priority
- have trouble dealing with physical HO in general
- most likely cant start the chain again, which you wont even need to do unless your opponent has several BP checks/scored lucky crits

Scolipede ban wont solve the BP problem entirely, only increase the number of counters, or rather, make the current checks more reliable. If anything, banning Espeon would open twice as many options to deal with BP.
Hell, people were testing an agility Zapdos lead to see if a blanket speed boost ban would fix everything and most teams still instalost against it.
Let's first enlighten you to the meaning of "uncompetitive".

"Uncompetitive game aspects (or strategies) are those that take away autonomy (control of the game's events), take it out of the hand's of player's decisions-- and do so to a degree that can be considered uncompetitive.

This can be luck-based, but doesn't have to be (see: 4th gen Wobb, who was effective enough then to remove the ability to "do anything about it" largely from the enemy player, and was banned for uncompetitive-ness); but most uncompetitive strategies that are banned usually have a high appeal to luck.

While there is always luck involved in Pokemon, the problem is the degree to which control is taken away from the player. Removal of autonomy is the key to an uncompetitive tiering decision or clause."

Scolipede, due to his speed, bulk, versatility, ability to boost speed freely and defense simultaneously, AND re-set multiple times throughout the match takes away autonomy from the game. In other words: you can't do anything about it. [Enter your niche counters here]

Secondly, allow me to reiterate: this is a thread to discuss how to make Baton Pass archetype more manageable, not destroy the playstyle or remove Baton Pass entirely.

And third, a Pokemon isn't banned because it "can't be defeated". A Pokemon is banned if it is deemed uncompetitive, broken, and/or overcentralizing.

Again, without Scolipede's overwhelming support to the chain, the Baton Pass playstyle is far more manageable. Will it still be powerful? Sure, but manageable, much easier to check and counter and stop the chain, and far more difficult to re-start the chain.

And allow me to reword it; I don't mean Scolipede tanks x3 Cloyster by himself; I mean he enables the team to tank it, where it wouldn't be able to otherwise, and can outstall even D-Dancing Charizard X. And note: I specifically stated these replays are not flawless gameplay on my part or my opponents; mistakes are inevitably made in the heat of battle even among the best of players. But calling a move a mistake like a second Dragon Dance is entirely subjective.

Ninjask has no further relevancy in this thread, and he isn't to be used as a Reductio ad Absurdum. We've already established Ninjask, while access to Speed Boost and Protect, Sub, etc, simply lacks the bulk and overall functionality to his superior counterpart Scolipede. So lacking, Ninjask is usually forced to run Focus Sash, and rarely able to set up more than once, with far more counter-measures.

Last edited:
Can you like, speak english and not be pretentious all the time? Please?
Someone who doesn't understand the definition of 'uncompetitive' and doesn't understand why a Pokemon is banned, tried to tell me not to use the word "uncompetitive." It's pretentious and ignorant to tell someone not to use the very word they fail to understand.

Reply to my arguments, otherwise you have nothing to say to me.

Someone who doesn't understand the definition of 'uncompetitive' and doesn't understand why a Pokemon is banned, tried to tell me not to use the word "uncompetitive." It's pretentious and ignorant to tell someone not to use the very word they fail to understand.

Reply to my arguments, otherwise you have nothing to say to me.
Except for the fact that most of the monsters, moves, and abilities that were banned are not uncompetitive. It's far more uncompetitive to ban things when you see an alternate strategy developing than to use certain things that your limited mindset determined as uncompetitive.

The game is built around taking away autonomy. Every action you make, if you're making them correctly, has the goal of limiting your opponent's options while improving your own. Knocking out a monster is the ultimate removal of choice. Baton Pass teams do not limit your options to this extent. They are extremely formulaic, and quite honestly not that effective unless you lack counters entirely. If you lack counters to any other team, you would be laughed down for complaining about losing to them. My current in-game team has no counter to Rotom-Wash. If I lose to Rotom-Wash, should we ban it? That's the mentality that Smogon has, clearly.

Scolipede? Has this thread not heard of using something like a special attacker? Even if they pass out when you switch, you can put dents into them quite easily. Break one chain link and you've broken their team. Even if you don't kill Scolipede, they have to start all over, while you just gained the advantage and can easily turn it around. Sure, Speed Boost + Iron Defense is annoying, especially on something with reasonable bulk and good defensive typing. But it's not unbreakable, and the only reason you even see it at the higher levels right now is because of this thread creating hubub about it and making people think about actually bothering to use it.

That being said, I do agree that there should be a suspect test on Scolipede. BP doesn't deserve a ban, Stored Power probably doesn't either, and limiting the number of BP users isn't that effective if Scolipede still tanks and boosts without caring. Scolipede seems to be the only real problem since nothing else is really bulky and versatile enough to give boosts. Even Magic Bounce Espeon isn't a problem if it has to boost itself or rely on other frail team members.

Last edited:
Scolipede? Has this thread not heard of using something like a special attacker? Even if they pass out when you switch, you can put dents into them quite easily. Break one chain link and you've broken their team. Even if you don't kill Scolipede, they have to start all over, while you just gained the advantage and can easily turn it around. Sure, Speed Boost + Iron Defense is annoying, especially on something with reasonable bulk and good defensive typing. But it's not unbreakable, and the only reason you even see it at the higher levels right now is because of this thread creating hubub about it and making people think about actually bothering to use it.
I'm going to anticipate the answer to this post to say overzealous is about to say special attackers do not count because they do not counter BP teams, and then copypaste the smogon definition of counter, writing it in bold. Because for him and for most people posting in this thread, pokemon are valid answers to bp only if they can beat the entire team on 6x1, without switching.

Also, this thread is getting really predictable.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I don't know about you, but last time I checked, Haze Milotic, Roar Latias, Ditto, and Sash Crawdaunt (that last one made me chuckle) aren't things you usually see on teams unless you're specifically trying to counter BP. Besides, the second and fourth replay had Denissss get haxed pretty badly : the former had really bad min/max damage rolls with Lava Plume lulling him into a false sense of security, and the latter had a couple of crits with Tyranitar coupled with a defense drop and not a single miss. He would have definitely won these two if it weren't for the hax.

Just because the top of the ladder is adapting to BP don't mean it's not broken. If the top ladder started to carry Gourgeist or Sableye for Mega-Kangaskhan (which they probably would have if we hadn't banned it), people wouldn't have made the argument that the metagame is adapting to them and that we should therefore keep it, because if a single pokemon/strategy twists the metagame enough to render otherwise unviable stuff useful, that's a good thing, right? Right?

If the top ladder has to carry random sashed wallbreakers to beat BP, we have a problem.

Last edited:
Except for the fact that most of the monsters, moves, and abilities that were banned are not uncompetitive. It's far more uncompetitive to ban things when you see an alternate strategy developing than to use certain things that your limited mindset determined as uncompetitive.

The game is built around taking away autonomy. Every action you make, if you're making them correctly, has the goal of limiting your opponent's options while improving your own. Knocking out a monster is the ultimate removal of choice. Baton Pass teams do not limit your options to this extent. They are extremely formulaic, and quite honestly not that effective unless you lack counters entirely. If you lack counters to any other team, you would be laughed down for complaining about losing to them. My current in-game team has no counter to Rotom-Wash. If I lose to Rotom-Wash, should we ban it? That's the mentality that Smogon has, clearly.

That being said, I do agree that there should be a suspect test on Scolipede. BP doesn't deserve a ban, Stored Power probably doesn't either, and limiting the number of BP users isn't that effective if Scolipede still tanks and boosts without caring. Scolipede seems to be the only real problem since nothing else is really bulky and versatile enough to give boosts. Even Magic Bounce Espeon isn't a problem if it has to boost itself or rely on other frail team members.
Every Pokemon has checks and counters the opponent can answer for. Pokemon that take autonomy away from the game, like Scolipede, means the opponent cannot stop it from doing what it intends to do. Are you seriously suggesting a Special attacker is an answer to Scolipede? Protect. Substitute. No matter what you do, Scolipede acquires 3-4x Speed, issuing speed initiative for the entire team, and trivially boosts 2-4 Def. Any "counter" to Scolipede must switch in; Scolipede is then behind a Subsititute, and free to boost, or Baton Pass out to an appropriate answer.

And the argument for Taunt, Encore, etc is terribly easy to destroy; Scolipede scouts Taunt/Encore with Protect and still acquires a stage of speed, outpaces and Baton Passes to a Magic Bouncer. Again, Scolipede takes away enough autonomy from the game. Scolipede is the primary reason for Baton Pass chains' domination of the OU ladder. Scolipede is the reason Baton Pass chains can unquestionably outspeed all threats outside of priority, and enable the entire chain to tank any physical pressure effortlessly (namely priority like Extremespeed, Sucker Punch, Bullet Punch, etc).

More importantly, it's his ability to set up multiple times, and restart the chain 3+ times with absolutely no effort, even if that only means 1-2x Speed.

And people didn't read this thread and begin using Scolipede; it's the other way around. This thread exists because players, like Denis, optimized with Baton Pass' newest tool, and discovered its overwhelming support for the chain.

I'm going to anticipate the answer to this post to say overzealous is about to say special attackers do not count because they do not counter BP teams, and then copypaste the smogon definition of counter, writing it in bold. Because for him and for most people posting in this thread, pokemon are valid answers to bp only if they can beat the entire team on 6x1, without switching.

Also, this thread is getting really predictable.
No, we just refute your one-dimensional 'counter' list. If the entire metagame must run Haze Quagsire and Taunt Thundurus, there's an unhealthy, overcentralizing problem, sir. Listing impractical counters is not relevant or constructive to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, we just refute your one-dimensional 'counter' list. If the entire metagame must run Haze Quagsire and Taunt Thundurus, there's an unhealthy, overcentralizing problem, sir. Listing impractical counters is not relevant or constructive to this thread.
Where did I say anything about Haze Quagsire?

Actually, where did anyone say anything about Haze Quagsire in the last 40 pages, except for when listing it as an argument for banning bp?

Please stop mentioning haze quagsire. No one thinks it's a counter to bp anymore. This pokemon has become a strawman for anti-ban people.

Half a dozen? Every special attacker in the tier plus a few physical attackers is not half a dozen.

Here's the thing about bp. Don't bother using stuff like taunt and whirlwind. They expect that. Lead with your most powerful sweeper and spam your strongest move ruthlessly. Bp teams dont have strong defenses, they cant stop your attacks that easily if you start attacking before they get the boosts. Dont bother setting up unless its something ridiculous like nasty plot, just hit and destroy. They will cumble more often than not.
Remember this? You also suggested Gardevoir among others as "counters" to Baton Pass chains.

Where did I say anything about Haze Quagsire?

Actually, where did anyone say anything about Haze Quagsire in the last 40 pages, except for when listing it as an argument for banning bp?

Please stop mentioning haze quagsire. No one thinks it's a counter to bp anymore. This pokemon has become a strawman for anti-ban people.
So don't list 'counters' and don't defend those who do. It's not useful or relevant to this thread. Address my arguments, or you have nothing to say to me.

I was talking about special attackers. Not haze Quagsire.

Also forget about the smogon definition of counter. It won't work here. Nothing is supposed to counter an entire team on 1x6 without using teamates.

If you drop that definition and start listing pokemon who tend to do well against bp, then Gardevoir and other special attackers become viable.

I was talking about special attackers. Not haze Quagsire.

Also forget about the smogon definition of counter. It won't work here. Nothing is supposed to counter an entire team on 1x6 without using teamates.

If you drop that definition and start listing pokemon who tend to do well against bp, then Gardevoir and other special attackers become viable.
I didn't stay you said Haze Quagsire; you mentioned equally one-dimensional counter-measures as means to say Baton Pass isn't overcentralizing or uncompetitive. Listing what you think are counters, or Special attackers, is useless to this thread. And defending those who do is worse.

Because you know, it's not like they could lead of with a pokemon that knows Calm mind. And pass to Scolipied(speed fail)

There is no true counter to baton pass teams, and what if they decided to build Scol with special defence over physical? (rare but still possible).

If the entire metagame must run Haze Quagsire and Taunt Thundurus, there's an unhealthy, overcentralizing problem, sir.
The thing is, that's BS. You know it is, everyone else knows it is, so why do you keep saying that?

There is no true counter to baton pass teams, and what if they decided to build Scol with special defence over physical? (rare but still possible).
There's no true counter to HO, Stall or Balance either. There doesn't have to be. The point is, teams have the overall ability to consistently fair well against baton pass teams.

There's no true counter to HO, Stall or Balance either. There doesn't have to be. The point is, teams have the overall ability to consistently fair well against baton pass teams.
If that's the case then I guess it shouldn't be nerfed then. Since they can consistently fair well, why are we looking to nerf baton pass then.

See, we don't give the baton pass player any thoughts on how good they are(worded that wrong) they can easily lead with something you were not expecting and have one from turn one.

Guys, let's not start offending each other. I think the post by jbtc10 was very enlightening. No one in these battles was forced to use exactly a sashed crawdaunt, or a haze milotic. What a saw was a set of well constructed teams with answers to the BP playstyle. The strategy exists and it will of course affect the way that people build teams un OU. But those teams were in the top of the ladder for a reason, they actually do well besides the BP matchup. Having to consider BP when building a team is not bad per se, when the answers are varied enough and you can adapt your strategy its really not a problem.

On the other hand, the strategy is really cheap as it is and you need much more skill to beat it than to use it. The way to go in my opinion is just to make the strategy more answerable. The core of scolo, espeon, (sylveon or smeargle) is the source of the power of the strategy, just with 3 passers get all the necessary boosts + magic bounce + stored power, but is way more answerable than the 6 member team.

We have already seen that with smart teambuilding and smart play, the top BP was brought 300+ points down te ladder. Let's just make answering BP a little easier and we will be fine, even if it remains a powerful strategy. The three best proposals i have seen are: Ban Ingrain on smeargle, ban magic bounce on espeon or limit the number of passers to 4.

The thing is, that's BS. You know it is, everyone else knows it is, so why do you keep saying that?

HO, stall, balance, all archetypes besides Baton Pass, can be dealt with in an assortment of ways. Baton Pass chains can only be answered exclusively. That is why Baton Pass archetype dominates the OU ladder, that is why players are restricting their own teambuilding by incorporating specific counters, and that is why the development of other archetypes have been stifled or hindered.

Don't bother grouping the Baton Pass playstyle with HO, stall, or balance; Baton Pass operates entirely different. It's a 6-headed beast with automatic speed initiative and very few counter-measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)