Battle Chateau: Your guide to $$$Money$$$ and Experience

There seems to be a bit of a discussion about Battle Chateau vs Le Wow as far as the "Best Exp Grinding Spot" in the game. Since it takes so long for the Battle Chateau to reach "Grand Duke" or "Grand Dutchess" level, I think people may be concerned with exactly what Battle Chateau offers over Le Wow.

Introduction

The Battle Chateau is a building on Route 7, accessible pretty early in the game. You start off at rank "Baron", and fight level 15 opponents. The ranks are as follows:

Baron/Baroness (Initial)
Viscount/Viscountess (Defeat 5 opponents)
Earl/Countess (Defeat 20 Trainers)
Marquis/Marchioness Defeat (40 Trainers)
Duke/Duchess (Defeat 140 Trainers)
Grand Duke/Duchess (Defeat all Trainers at Battle Chateau)

At Marquis / Marchioness level, the Gym Leaders begin to visit the Battle Chateau. At Duke / Duchess level, the Elite 4 begin to visit. Finally, at Grand Duke / Duchess level, the Grand Duchess / Champion Diantha begins to visit.

Once you reach these higher levels, the Battle Chateau becomes one of the best leveling spots and money grinding spots in the game.

Writs

Writs are expensive bonuses you pay for that greatly effects the Battle Chateau payout, levels of your opponent, and how often opponents visit the Battle Chateau. These writs stay in effect until the next midnight. Writs cost anywhere from $50,000 to $300,000... with the more useful writs costing more money. As you level up in rank, you gain the ability to write more useful writs, such as the Silver Writ, the Gold Writ, and finally the Black Writ.

Writs can stack with each other, although writs of the same type cancel each other out. For example, the Black Writ (+20 Levels to all opponent's Pokemon) cannot be combined with the Red Writ (+10 Levels to all opponent's Pokemon). You can however stack the Silver, Gold, and Black Writ at the same time.

My recommendations? Use the Silver Writ if you plan on doing more than 5 battles at the Chateau, the speed at which the new trainers comes in is easily worth the $100,000 cost. The Gold Writ multiplies your money by 150%. The $100,000 cost is also steep, but you will easily make it up with the Gold Writ.

Finally, the Black Writ increases the level of your opponent's `mon by 20 levels. It also increases the money gain by some amount (it is different for each trainer). However, because the cost of the Only use the Black Writ when you are willing to spend tons of money on leveling up your pokemon. +20 levels to all trainers greatly increases your exp gain, especially when you find Duchess Rosile (who will have three level 65 Audinos when the Black Writ is active).

Opponents

Maids, Butlers, Rich Boys, and Ladies don't seem special. They occasionally are at the Duke / Duchess level and offer good experience, but they don't make nearly as much money or experience as the richer opponents. Nonetheless, you may get a bad run of opponents, and when that happens, you might as well fight these opponents at random and hope for the best.

Now the Madame and Monsieurs are extremely rich. The lowest-ranked barons give $21,000 per battle (with Amulet Coin+Gold Writ). Not bad at all for taking out a single lvl 15 Burmy (35 with Black Writ).

On the high end, I've noticed that certain named Dukes (ie: Duke Hennessy) give over $50,000 per battle with Amulet Coin+Gold Writ.

If you get lucky and encounter Duke Hennessy with O-Power lvl 3 active, you will get over $150,000 in a single battle. Remember, O-Power Lvl3 stacks with everything else. Realistically speaking, you can expect to make a profit of $200,000 to $300,000 in the three minutes that O-Power lvl3 is active... so long as you focus on these rich old people for their money.
Furisode Girl (Aka: Tons of Audinos)

Furisode Girls ALWAYS have Audinos, making them the highest experience opponents in the game. With the Black Writ active, "Marchioness" rank Furisode girls have two lvl 60 Audinos, while "Duchess" rank Fuisode girls have three lvl 65 Audinos.

If you ever see two or more Furisode Girls together, activate Experience Power Lvl3 for easy 50,000+ experience... or even more if you have the Lucky Egg.
Gym Leaders:

Base Prize: $8000
Black Writ Prize: $11300
With Amulet Coin + Gold Writ + Black Writ: $33900
With Amulet Coin + Gold Writ + Lvl 3 O-Power: $100,800
Gym Leaders aren't quite as rich as the Duke and Duchess level Madames or Monsieurs. However, they give excellent amounts of experience and are guaranteed to be lvl 50 opponents. With the Black Writ active, they rocket up to lvl 70.

A single Gym Leader + Amulet Coin + Lvl 3 O-Power guarantees that you will gain a profit from a Gold Writ. Multiple Gym Leaders give you a huge opportunity to make tons and tons of money, with a properly timed Lvl 3 O-Power. Or, if you are focused on Experience, the +Experience O-Power is useful on Gym leaders.

Every Gym Leader rematch has two pokemon that they draw from.

Elite 4

Base Prize: $11000
Black Writ Prize: $15000
With Amulet Coin + Gold Writ + Black Writ: $45000
With Amulet Coin + Gold Writ + Black Writ + Lvl 3 O-Power: $135000
The Elite4 Members are just like the Gym Leaders, except with more money, more experience, and more powerful pokemon. These Dukes and Duchesses have three pokemon each at level 55 (Level 75 with Black Writ)

Champion

Base Prize: $14400
Black Writ: $19200
With Amulet Coin + Gold Writ: $57600
With Amulet Coin + Gold Writ + Lvl 3 O-Power: $172800

Champion Diantha stomps into the Battle Chateau with FOUR level 60 pokemon (level 80 with Black Writ). With so much experience and money gained from facing the champion, its basically worth it to spend all of your O-Powers and activating all the Writs for this battle.

Le Wow vs Battle Chateau
The Battle Chateau is far better for money than Le Wow. With only $200,000 investment for the Silver and Gold Writs and Amulet Coin, it becomes possible to earn $21,000+ per battle if you solely focus on the "old men" and "old women". With O-Power lvl3 stacked, you'll be earning anywhere from $63,000 to $150,000 per battle with proper opponent selection.

For experience, the Battle Chateau seems to have the edge as long as you can afford the $400,000 Black Writ and Silver Writ. However, the experience gained here is somewhat random. If you only have Rich Boys and Ladies to face, you don't really know if you're gonna be fighting a lvl 35 Ralts, or a lvl 60 Haxorus. Nevertheless, with proper "opponent selection", you can focus on Elite 4 (lvl 75), Gym Leaders (lvl 70), and Furisode Girls (lvl 60 and 65 Audinos) and gain a significant amount of experience points.

In the worst case, you may spend a few battles facing lvl 35 Burmys or Ralts, but within 5 minutes, the Silver Writ will flush out all of the trainers and give you a fresh new start.

Le Wow Triple-Battles / Rotation Battles on the other hand consistently offers lvl 63 Pokemon, and your O-Power for +Experience will last for all 5 trainers / 15 Pokemon. However, since you pay $90,000 to enter the restaurant, and only get ~$125,000 in profits after selling the Balm Mushrooms (with lvl 3 exp O-Power / Lvl 1 +money O-Power), I know for a fact that the Battle Chateau offers far more money than Le Wow offers you.

Finally, Le Wow Rotation Battles have a slow and annoying "level up" bar. Leveling a Pokemon from lvl 1 to lvl 15 takes but a single battle in Le Wow... but the amount of time lost waiting for the level bar to fill up is painful. While Le Wow Rotation battles offer significant amounts of experience points... my personal experience has me shying away from them, especially when raising baby-level Pokemon to higher levels.

After all, once you pay the $200,000 for the Silver and Gold writ, the Battle Chateau doesn't require any more investment until midnight. You have to pay $90,000 per Le Wow visit.

Last edited:
I prefer the consistency of Le Wow, and I make enough money using amulet coin a prize money power 1. Money becomes pretty useless after you've bought all the TMs and mega stones, seeing as you don't need to buy vitamins this time around. Lucky egg and +exp point power give enough xp that shouldn't have to do it too many times to get to level 50.

It also takes a long time to get to top rank, which could be better spent at Le Wow.

Last edited:
I was just about to make a thread on this, so I've gathered a lot of info:

Writs can stack with each other, although writs of the same type cancel each other out. For example, the Black Writ (+20 Levels to all opponent's Pokemon) cannot be combined with the Red Writ (+10 Levels to all opponent's Pokemon). You can however stack the Silver, Gold, and Black Writ at the same time.
Stacking:
Writ of Invitation OR Silver Writ of Invitation
AND
Gold Writ of Invitation (invitation is a misnomer)
AND
Writ of Challenge OR Blue Writ of Challenge OR Red Writ of Challenge OR Black Writ of Challenge

Silver+Gold+Black costs a total of 500k.

The Gold Writ straight up TRIPLES the money you gain.
Wrong. It's a multiplier of 1.5x.

Only use the Black Writ when you are willing to spend tons of money on leveling up your pokemon.
Actually, the Black Writ also increases money earned.

It is, however, not a simple multiplier. Instead, the Black Writ actually replaces the opponent with a clone that has different Pokemon and a different base money yield. The increase to base money yield is not consistent. I assume the blue/red/normal writs work on the same principle. Here are a few tests I did:

Viscount Cullinan
4000 base money
8000 base money after Black Writ (+4000)

Marchioness Amelie
2240 base money
3520 base money after Black Writ (+1280)

Gym Leaders:
Base Prize: $5650

Elite 4
Base Prize: $7500

Champion
Base Prize: ?????
This is wrong, see here:

Any Gym Leader
8000 base money
11200 base money after Black Writ (+3200)

Any Elite Four
11000 base money
15000 base money after Black Writ (+4000)

Grand Duchess Diantha
14400 base money
19200 base money after Black Writ (+4800)

Maids, Butlers, Rich Boys, and Ladies don't seem special. They occasionally are at the Duke / Duchess level and offer good experience, but they don't make nearly as much money or experience as the richer opponents. Nonetheless, you may get a bad run of opponents, and when that happens, you might as well fight these opponents at random and hope for the best.

Now the Madame and Monsieurs are extremely rich. The lowest-ranked barons give $21,000 per battle (with Amulet Coin+Gold Writ). Not bad at all for taking out a single lvl 15 Burmy (35 with Black Writ).
As a general rule, in terms of prize money it's Old Man = Old Woman > Rich Boy = Rich Girl > Butler = Maid.
This is not always true, for example with Duke Henessey.

Furisode Girl (Aka: Tons of Audinos)

Furisode Girls ALWAYS have Audinos, making them the highest experience opponents in the game. With the Black Writ active, "Marchioness" rank Furisode girls have two lvl 60 Audinos, while "Duchess" rank Fuisode girls have three lvl 65 Audinos.
Marchioness Audinos are level 35 (55 with Black Writ).
You are correct about the Duchess ones, they are level 45/65.

Multipliers to Prize Money:

Gold Writ of Invitation (x1.5)
Amulet Coin OR Luck Incense (x2)
Prize Money Power Lv3 (x3)
Happy Hour (x2)

In total, can stack up to 18x the base Prize Money.

Maximum Prize Money for a single trainer:

Gym Leader: 201,600
Elite Four: 270,000
Diantha: 345,600

The chateau is without doubt the best way to earn money.

For exp:

The Audino in the chateau provide 4595 xp at level 55 and 5431 xp at level 65, before applying the following multipliers:

Trade (1.5x) OR Foreign Trade (1.7x)
Lucky Egg (1.5x)
Delayed Evolution (1.5x)
Pokemon Amie (1.2x? 1.5x? Not sure)
Exp Power Lv3 (2x)
Non-participation + Exp Share (0.5x)

So, with a foreign-traded pre-evolved pokemon-amie'd O-Powered Lucky-Egged pokemon that participates in battle against Lv65 Audino, that's 62,320 xp for defeating a single pokemon, or 186,960 for a single trainer.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Rather short, it depends on how long you've progressed. You have to beat the story and reached the rank of Duke/Duchess to make the E4 members appear, and you need to have fought every trainer at the Mansion to reach the final rank. Unless you're unlucky when levelling up to Duke/Duchess, you'll most likely have done all of the others by the time the E4 members begin to appear. For me, Siebold or Drasna was the last I had to beat to become a Grand Duke.

Well, I've beaten the elite 4 and beaten all the gym leaders and elite 4 members in the chateau so I feel like I should be close to progressing. Even with Silver + Gold + Red writs for the past 2 days I guess I still haven't found every trainer yet. So I guess I have to keep hoping I meet those missing trainers :/. Cheers for the info.

I have to say, I did not realise you could stack the Silver and Gold writs together (I assumed they would overwrite each other based on their name), but I tried this strategy out this evening and my god it is insane when you are a Grand Duke (or Duchess).

To give you an idea of how well and easy it went, I started out at around 2.8m pokedollars, so once the writs were enforced that went to around 2.3m. After just a little over two hours (in which time I was training up some EV trained stuff to 50 because, well, why not), I am now sitting at 5.6m pokedollars, so a net profit of 2.8m. I was making liberal use of the O-Power and Amulet Coin, as well as sporadic use of a Happy Hour Smeargle I have (depended if he got the first move or not to get off Happy Hour). Also, I kept a tab on what main trainers I faced and how many times, and this is what I ended up with:

Diantha x2 ;
Wikstrom x2; Malva, Drasna and Siebold x1
Grant & Ramos x3; Wulfric x2; Korrina, Clemont, Valerie and Olympia x1

I also saw Korrina a second time but had a major brain fade and didn't immediately battle her, and by the time I had finished another battle in another room (I was hunting down Wikstrom who had been noted as arriving), she had gone. That also does not include all of the Furisode Girls with their Audinos, of which I think I fought 12 times across the timeframe.

As for time getting to Grand Duke/Duchess rank, I spent just over a month in the previous rank before I progressed up. One of my sticking characters actually was a normal trainer, but I was also waiting on seeing Drasna for a good few weeks. I certainly believe the silver and gold writs are a good way of inviting all of the high end trainers into the chateau (if the haul I had is any indication of the process), but if its a regular trainer, it may be a lot more difficult to flush them out.

Funnily enough I just reached Grand Duke now. I think I must've missed Viola because after I beat here and reentered the Chateau I finally got the promotion. I'm glad that it'll be worth it though from the sounds of the profit / experience yields!

I'm not really sure what triggers the promotion to Grand Duke/Duchess, because I got it seemingly by random when I walked in one day and a gentleman walked up to me and informed me of my promotion and the black writ. You don't have to fight all of the elite four because I haven't seen Drayna or Wikstrom yet. The requirement is probably be the champion + fight every regular Chateau trainer (and maybe every gym leader). For me, what puts the Chateau above Le Wow is the lack of protect spam (although the gym leader and elite four rematches are a step down from previous games).

One annoying thing though, is that even when at Grand Duke/Duchess, there's still a chance that you'll have to battle Barons and the like which are lousy for experience and money even after factoring the Black Writ.

One annoying thing though, is that even when at Grand Duke/Duchess, there's still a chance that you'll have to battle Barons and the like which are lousy for experience and money even after factoring the Black Writ.
Thats why you run around, and focus on the trainers that you know are high level. IE: Gym Leaders, Elite 4, and Ardino trainers.

I rather prefer to battle at le Wow too: Mainly because money becomes relatively obsolete after doing the restaurant several times.

AS I can't wait to become a Grand Duke and bring honor to my Family name, I'll do my best to reach this level first. And then I go to Le Wow to see how things are there.
I currently don't level up more than needed dor VGC/Move, and when I do, it's using Rare Candies I get from the PokéMiles shop, but I think I'll give it a try to put all my competitive mons to Level 100. It Always used to be some amazing feeling when they get there battling.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
I achieved Grand Duchess title back in November (or was in December... I forget), and I have only tried out Le Wow as of this morning. To be honest, on a money-making standpoint, Le Wow blows Chateau out of the water. With Amulet Coin and Double Battle selected, and having Money making O-Power Level 2 (I don't have 3 unlocked yet), I cover the 90K Pokedollar expense and guarantee myself at least 150K in profit. The only reason I even use the Chateau is to check for any Furisode Girls/Elite Fours/Diantha (the Gym Leaders sort of ceased being worth my time) since they are decent money. While the writs help, Chateau doesn't provide me the same consistency as Le Wow (outside of the O-Power recharge being a pain).

I achieved Grand Duchess title back in November (or was in December... I forget), and I have only tried out Le Wow as of this morning. To be honest, on a money-making standpoint, Le Wow blows Chateau out of the water. With Amulet Coin and Double Battle selected, and having Money making O-Power Level 2 (I don't have 3 unlocked yet), I cover the 90K Pokedollar expense and guarantee myself at least 150K in profit. The only reason I even use the Chateau is to check for any Furisode Girls/Elite Fours/Diantha (the Gym Leaders sort of ceased being worth my time) since they are decent money. While the writs help, Chateau doesn't provide me the same consistency as Le Wow (outside of the O-Power recharge being a pain).
I'm not in the maximum level yet, but I kind of agree. I think it's impossible to have all the profit that way so fast as in Le Wow. Even without O-Power, you get out of there in profit. With it, you more than double the amount of cash you get.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
I'm not in the maximum level yet, but I kind of agree. I think it's impossible to have all the profit that way so fast as in Le Wow. Even without O-Power, you get out of there in profit. With it, you more than double the amount of cash you get.
Since I do manage to get some battles on the mark (I only went over once and that was because Floatzel protected), I always end with 23 Balm Mushrooms at the very least. Missing the two shrooms for perfect seems almost unnecessary since it saves me quite a bit of time just wiping them out in 1-2 turns (I do 2 sometimes to assure I get a good stash). Honestly, the only reason one should do Battle Chateau is if they want the medal since the profit and cash didn't really kick off until I got Marquise/Marchioness title. If the Chateau had any upside aside from Audino bashing, it's likely allowing me to train without feeling hungry due to not having mouthwatering food descriptions before my fights.

My god. Suddenly the 5 million to join Team Flare over the course of the story seems more reasonable than I ever thought. I didn't realize the turnover rate in the Chateau was that high.

As for what's better money wise, let's leave it at this: With Le Wow, you have to pay to get in and the payout is up to chance more often than I'd like. (Nice perfect run you got going, it would be a shame if I were to use Protect right now. More so if I were to then rotate and use Protect AGAIN.)

I'm not really sure what triggers the promotion to Grand Duke/Duchess, because I got it seemingly by random when I walked in one day and a gentleman walked up to me and informed me of my promotion and the black writ. You don't have to fight all of the elite four because I haven't seen Drayna or Wikstrom yet. The requirement is probably be the champion + fight every regular Chateau trainer (and maybe every gym leader). For me, what puts the Chateau above Le Wow is the lack of protect spam (although the gym leader and elite four rematches are a step down from previous games).
Is it still not known what triggers the promotion? I became Duke in the Battle Chateau, battled all trainers, including Gym Leaders and the Elite Four (I know for sure since I kept track of it, taking the list and crossing off every trainer after I defeated one until I had them all), became the Champion, tried leaving and re-entering and I still didn't become Grand Duke.

Info on Bulbapedia is misleading too. The page for the Battle Chateau says you have to beat Diantha to become Grand Duke, while the pages for the Grand Duchess class and Diantha herself say you have to become Grand Duke before she appears.

Then the talk page for the Battle Chateau and some posters here claim they became Grand Duke before even getting all badges and beating Gym Leaders... Has nobody datamined the game to find out the exact conditions for becoming Grand Duke?

EDIT: Alright, finally became Grand Duke. Spent the day just battling every trainer I encountered in the Battle Chateau and exiting and re-entering the building every time I cleared a room. Just now I got the message that I became Grand Duke, after entering the building, beating two trainers who I already beat many times before, exiting and re-entering. I can only conclude that you actually need to have earned a minimum amount of points to get the rank instead of just beating all nobles. Strange how after all these years nobody has datamined the game to find out how many points.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)