Battle Mechanics Research

Is Belch a sound-based move?
Nope, belch is not a sound-based move, according to Serebii. I assume they've done their own research for it.

I would totally do a quick test on it but all the stuff I've been interested in testing have all have negative results. It's pretty sad for me, but it's still fun (hold item tests, I guess, were just a small chance for me to be hopeful about something).

Also Synchronoise is not either.

If ya want, just like, use them against a sub, see if it works. It's not a hard test, so I'm assuming Serebii already tried it.
EDIT: They also say Boomburst isn't apparently. That makes me very sad. I don't want to believe that.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Well, we can't test that yet; it might get the boost on Arceus since Multitype is an ability like Sticky Hold, but not on Giratina since that's a Pokémon-Item relationship like with the Mega Stones.
Multitype was only like Sticky Hold in Gen 4; in Gen 5 any non-Plate item could be removed from Arceus. Plates, Drives, the Griseous Orb, and now Mega Stones are all species dependent and can't be given to or taken from their respective species, but everything else can hold them and move them around as they please.

EDIT: They also say Boomburst isn't apparently. That makes me very sad. I don't want to believe that.
Boomburst is actually sound-based, Serebii just has most fields filled out with whatever is default, whether it's right or not.

I was battling in the Battle Maison and my Dragonite was using Outrage when a Hariyama switched in and used Fake Out. My Dragonite does not have Inner Focus, and yet Fake Out didn't make it flinch. It proceeded to Outrage and KO the Hariyama. New mechanic? Or were lock moves unflinchable before too?

I was battling in the Battle Maison and my Dragonite was using Outrage when a Hariyama switched in and used Fake Out. My Dragonite does not have Inner Focus, and yet Fake Out didn't make it flinch. It proceeded to Outrage and KO the Hariyama. New mechanic? Or were lock moves unflinchable before too?
What this tells me is that pokemon amie effects work in the battle mansion. Good to know I guess.

What this tells me is that pokemon amie effects work in the battle mansion. Good to know I guess.
Considering I've been using my max Amie Lucario in the Battle Maison quite a bit and have never seen anything come up about it (I don't think it's even turned back when I send it out like it usually would), I highly doubt Poke Amie works there. Some should test to see if Fake Out works like this for all locking moves.

Important question: does the poison-type using toxic buff hit behind subs. People said that it has perfect accuracy now and that it hits flying mons too, so does it bypass substitute?

Important question: does the poison-type using toxic buff hit behind subs. People said that it has perfect accuracy now and that it hits flying mons too, so does it bypass substitute?
no, it doesn't. ekans' toxic failed to work through a substitute.

random other things:
sweet veil:
-both its holder and its ally pokemon cannot use rest while it's out.
-if a sleeping pokemon is switched in while a sweet veil pokemon is out, it remains asleep. similarily, if a sweet veil pokemon is switched in while its ally is sleeping, it remains asleep.

belch:
-in addition to being able to be used repeatedly once a berry is consumed, belch can still be used after the pokemon has switched out.

rototiller:
-it is not a field effect like the terrains- it's a boosting move like swords dance and its ilk, except it's applied to every grass type in play, including your opponents. it gives +1 to attack and special attack.
-it works on the user as well, though there doesn't seem to be any actual grass type that learns rototiller yet (i tested this using forest's curse on a dugtrio).

ion deluge:
-unlike the abilities refrigerate, aerilate, and pixilate, ion deluge does not boost the power of normal moves it converts. a lv 45 conkeldurr with 123 attack using facade vs a 77 defense ampharos did 20 damage twice in a row, fitting into the expected damage range of 19-23. if ion deluge did add a 30% boost, it should have done 25-30 damage.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been researched.....
Does justified reduce the damage/make a pokemon immune to dark type attacks?
Kinda lame that it didn't in gen5. Also what about rattled?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Doesn't Sheer Force only boost attacks with a chance of a secondary effect? Because Fake Out always flinches.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Doesn't Sheer Force only boost attacks with a chance of a secondary effect? Because Fake Out always flinches.
Yes, it's a secondary effect with a 100% chance of occurring. This is also why Flame Charge is useless on Darmanitan, as it doesn't boost its Speed.

I read somewhere that now normal poison (not toxic poison) works like burn, but for special attackers. I highly doubt it, but a confirm would be nice.

I read somewhere that now normal poison (not toxic poison) works like burn, but for special attackers. I highly doubt it, but a confirm would be nice.
That would be really cool, but I doubt it. It does however work like that in the pokemon tabletop RPG. Maybe that's where you heard it from? Just guessing. Anyway it should not be hard to test, I just don't have the time till later tonight and I'm sure someone else will get around to it by then.

That would be really cool, but I doubt it. It does however work like that in the pokemon tabletop RPG. Maybe that's where you heard it from? Just guessing. Anyway it should not be hard to test, I just don't have the time till later tonight and I'm sure someone else will get around to it by then.
Just tried it. Didn't do any less.

Used a Qwilfish with one layer of Toxic Spikes, Delphox flamethrower'd me for 45-51 damage, then switched out and back, then flamethrower'd again for 45-53 damage.

EDIT: Tested Future Sight + Magician on Delphox. Magician will not make Future Sight steal items.

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Video: UPDW-WWWW-WWW2-J7NP

000010000011011 = 5/15
0011000000 = 2/10

101010000000011 = 5/15
0001000110 = 3/10

011010000010100 = 5/15
0100000111 = 4/10

1010000001101 = 5/13

88 Scalds, 29 burns. 32.945% chance. No change.

Scald was here, Surf is a loser.

Mario With Lasers

I have no video proof because I tried this one in Le Nah, but

144 Sp. Atk MegaBlastoise
140 HP, 93 Sp. Def Venusaur

Hydro Pump (110 Water Special): 39-47 expected damage
Damage dealt: 42, 39, 43

Hydro Pump isn't boosted by Mega Launcher. Boring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)