Battle Mechanics Research

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
o yea since I accidentally brought up Camouflage by accident instead of Color Change...

Does Electric Terrian and Grassy Terrian have an effect on Camouflage in Wi-Fi battles? ie does Camouflage make it Electric / Grass in the respective terrian? edit: and Misty Terrian

edit2: How is the new HP calculated when it isn't at max HP after Mega Evolution if the base HP is different?

Last edited:
How does the ability Sniper work considering the new Critical Hits Mechanic?
probably like previous gens and 2x for sniper mons i highly doubt they will keep 3x damage boost for sniper crit.

but again this needs testing to be sure.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
This may not even be noteworthy, but it is a bit situational. We all know that electric types are immune to paralysis now. But a moment ago, while farming Raltses for synchs, my Pikachu's Thunder Shock paralyzed a Ralts with Synchronize. It showed the Synchronize message, but then said "It doesn't effect Pikachu." I guess you can't even paralyze an electric type through backdoor stuff like Synchronize.

This may not even be noteworthy, but it is a bit situational. We all know that electric types are immune to paralysis now. But a moment ago, while farming Raltses for synchs, my Pikachu's Thunder Shock paralyzed a Ralts with Synchronize. It showed the Synchronize message, but then said "It doesn't effect Pikachu." I guess you can't even paralyze an electric type through backdoor stuff like Synchronize.
That makes sense considering that's how it works for burn and poison

NPC who gave me the Fling TM: "Throw your item at another Pokémon and it will catch it and hold on to it. You can throw something nasty at an opponent, or you can throw a Berry or something to an ally in a Double Battle."

Sign on Route 16: "Advanced Tips! With the Keen Eye Ability, the Pokémon's accuracy can't be lowered! Keen Eye also lets the Pokémon ignore any boosts to the opposing Pokémon's evasiveness."

Last edited:
What happens when trick-or-treat is used on a dual typed pokemon? Does it replace one of the types or does the target gain a third type?

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but it appears that Grass-types are immune to the effects of Sleep Powder and Stun Spore (but not the actual status).

Because it's not stated in the OP, I think I've gotten the most in-depth you can with sleep mechanics. It does not reset the sleep counter when switching as stated, but it still assigns a number of turn 1-3 (I think it could go up to four or something in Gen 4 and previous)

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Seems the TVs in the games provide useful information about the game mechanics. For example, a TV just told me that Spiky Shield's success rate drops to one-third after one use, not one-half as we expected from Protect's precedence. It's possible that Protect and similar moves have been similarly changed.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Seems the TVs in the games provide useful information about the game mechanics. For example, a TV just told me that Spiky Shield's success rate drops to one-third after one use, not one-half as we expected from Protect's precedence. It's possible that Protect and similar moves have been similarly changed.
My Experiences with protect have been odd. Every time, Protect worked, then Failed, but then worked the turn after (continued like this until all 10 PP had been used up on the wild Burmy)

Can anyone else confirm this is the case

• Electric immunity to paralysis: when an Electric-type with Volt Absorb\Lightningrod gets hit by Thunder Wave, which takes precedence? If paralysis immunity takes precedence, then the the healing\Sp. Attk boost will not occur.
i haven't tested this specific interaction but a similar one; i just tried using stun spore on a wild skiddo and sap sipper took precedence over the grass immunity to the move.

My Experiences with protect have been odd. Every time, Protect worked, then Failed, but then worked the turn after (continued like this until all 10 PP had been used up on the wild Burmy)

Can anyone else confirm this is the case
I've seen a wild Burmy use Protect successfully two turns in a row.

The first wild Farfetch'd I encountered and caught had a Stick. I have confirmed that when a Farfetch'd uses a normal (not elevated crit ratio) move while holding a Stick, it crits 1/2 of the time.

100 trials of Fury Attack with Stick: 51/100 crit.
100 trials of Fury Cutter with Stick: 56/100 crit.
100 trials of Fury Attack without Stick: 3/100 crit.

So EITHER the crit stages have changed, OR a Stick gives Farfetch'd 4 crit stages.

Once it learns Slash, I will run another series of tests with and without a Stick to determine if the first crit stage is still 1/8 and if there is a new crit stage that gives a ratio higher than 1/2.

"Trainer Tips! The move Grassy Terrain boosts the power of Grass-type moves by 50%! But it only affects Pokémon that are touching the ground."

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Keen Eye ignores self accuracy modifiers and opponent evasion modifiers.

Misty Terrain stacks with weather: both can be active at the same time.

An auto weather Pokémon holding the appropriate rock (i.e. Smooth Rock for Hippopotas) causes weather to last for 8 turns after the Pokémon is sent in.

Go Hippopotas!
Go Pikachu!

Turn 1
Hippopotas used Yawn!
Pikachu used Tail Whip!
Pikachu took SS damage.

Turn 2
Hippopotas [...]!
Pikachu [...]!
Pikachu took SS damage.

Turn 3
Hippopotas [...]!
Pikachu used [...]!
Pikachu took SS damage.

Turn 4
Hippopotas [...]!
Pikachu [...]!
Pikachu took SS damage.

Turn 5
Hippopotas [...]!
Pikachu [...]!
Pikachu took SS damage.

Turn 6
Hippopotas [...]!
Pikachu [...]!
Pikachu took SS damage.

Turn 7
Hippopotas [...]!
Pikachu [...]!
Pikachu took SS damage.

Turn 8
Hippopotas [...]!
Pikachu [...]!
The sandstorm subsided. (No SS damage).

Focus Energy also makes normal moves (without a high crit ratio) crit 50% of the time.

100 trials of Fury Attack after a Focus Energy: 47/100 crit.

My Farfetch'd with a Stick learned Slash. I have used it over 25 times and it has ALWAYS been a critical hit. The only exceptions were against a Corphish that must have had Shell Armor.

Extrapolating from this and my last two posts, if you have a Blaziken use Focus Energy, it will always crit with Blaze Kick.

I will test the crit rate of Slash without a Stick tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)