Battle Mechanics Research

A friend and I discovered something by accident in a link battle, in which my klefki's use of Heal Block stopped his gogoat's horn leech cold. In other words, it worked like taunt. We ran another battle just to test the new mechanics (ending with leech seed), and also found out that, like taunt, the prevented moves could not be selected.

4EEG-WWWW-WWWX-KHK4
So Heal Block now, instead of preventing healing, it prevents anything that COULD heal...

A friend and I got curious after seeing stealth rock clear all entry hazards on the field. We had a double battle and tried a few things with screens, and friendly fire.

8CGW-WWWW-WWWX-KNWD

I suspected that your own screens would get reset if you defogged, but apparently it's only the foe's. Still works if you target your own team, though.

So the noteworthy distribution of Defog is something like:

Articuno
Charizard
Scizor
Dragonite
Crobat
Aerodactyl
Zapdos
Moltres
Togekiss
Gliscor
Skarmory
Flygon
Salamence
Lati@s
Empoleon
Starraptor
Honckrow
Skuntank
Mandibuzz

And any Gen6 that learn the move.

That's some solid distribution imo.

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but my Dragalge did not have its special attack lowered after using Draco Meteor.

It may have to do with pokemon Amie (it has 4 hearts of affection and my trainer said something after it used it). This should be tested for all of the 130 power SpA moves.

• Cursed Body: changed to affect only contact moves?

Me and Zebraiken tested this, and Cursed Body can disable both contact and non contact moves.

Both Leech Life (contact) and Ember (non contact) were able to be disabled at different points in time. (We didn't see if they could both be disabled at once)

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but my Dragalge did not have its special attack lowered after using Draco Meteor.

It may have to do with pokemon Amie (it has 4 hearts of affection and my trainer said something after it used it). This should be tested for all of the 130 power SpA moves.
wifi battle or in game? Wifi battles arent affected by pokemon amie

Hey, did some research on Protean and immunities. Waited until wild Tentacool used Toxic Spikes, then switched in Frogadier, poisoning it (btw I remember someone going on about Toxic Spikes getting a buff. 1 stage still does normal poison, so no change.).
I used Toxic. Though it did not affect Tentacool, my type was changed. The poison wasn't cured, and upon switching out, the next Pokemon was poisoned.

Hey, did some research on Protean and immunities. Waited until wild Tentacool used Toxic Spikes, then switched in Frogadier, poisoning it (btw I remember someone going on about Toxic Spikes getting a buff. 1 stage still does normal poison, so no change.).
I used Toxic. Though it did not affect Tentacool, my type was changed. The poison wasn't cured, and upon switching out, the next Pokemon was poisoned.
That's not new. Changing types to one that has a status immunity does not remove status. For example, Imposter Ditto cannot switch into Tentacruel with Toxic Spikes in the field and expect to absorb those spikes (Though this is because Imposter activates after hazards). Ditto gets poisoned and cannot cure its poisoning

The ones that do so are the abilities that give status immunity (Limber, Immunity...) which can be seen by inflicting status with a pokémon with Mold Breaker

That's not new. Changing types to one that has a status immunity does not remove status. For example, Imposter Ditto cannot switch into Tentacruel with Toxic Spikes in the field and expect to absorb those spikes (Though this is because Imposter activates after hazards). Ditto gets poisoned and cannot cure its poisoning

The ones that do so are the abilities that give status immunity (Limber, Immunity...) which can be seen by inflicting status with a pokémon with Mold Breaker
Ah, someone in another thread was asking about whether Toxic Spikes would be absorbed. I didn't know that about last gen.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but... what happens if you Skill Swap Stance Change away from Aegislash? Does Aegislash revert to shield forme, or stay in blade (assuming it is in blade forme when you skill swap it away)? If it does stay in blade forme, and gets it swapped back on (in a double battle), will the formes it switches to be backwards (e.g. king's shield makes it switch to blade forme)? How can another Pokemon "change form depending on how it battles"?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Stance Change cannot be Skill Swapped. Idk about the other ability-neutering moves, though.

I'm really confused and disappointed - I did earthquake with parental bond in a doubles battle, but it didn't hit twice? What gives? Can anyone reproduce this? Does it not work for area moves in multi pokemon battles? Why not?

V4Victini and I tested out incinerate and can verify that Incinerate does in fact burn gems away like the in-game tv shows describe. Since Incinerate got this treatment, I checked to see if Unnerve prevented the use of gems in a similar way. It did not, V4 was free to use his normal gem while my Unnerve Pyroar was out.

I'm really confused and disappointed - I did earthquake with parental bond in a doubles battle, but it didn't hit twice? What gives? Can anyone reproduce this? Does it not work for area moves in multi pokemon battles? Why not?
Hmm, so does it normally replicate Earthquake in singles? Have you tested it more times in doubles and found that it still doesn't work? Are there any other area moves you could try on Kangaskhan?

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay I know I stated this but now I'm definitely confirming that Aromatherapy activates Sap Sipper in double battles, if you have your partner use it alongside a Sap Sipper Pokemon. I don't think it works for the opposing side since the move only affects your own team, though. Still want to test Soundproof Vs. Heal Bell as Scorpdestroyer mentioned.

Also, the OP says that if one type is weak to Flying Press and the other resists, it hits for 1x damage...But from something that just happened to me today, I think it goes a step further: A Hawlucha used it on my Venomoth and it actually took NVE damage. So I'm guessing it counts the total amount of resistances in total? I know Bug + Poison both resist Fighting, cutting it to 0.25x, while Bug is weak to Flying and Poison is neutral, boosting it by 2x. And this is probably obvious af and I'm just rambling but I guess this means that it kind of uses some multiplicative formula looking at all the defender's resistances/immunities/weaknesses for both types (if applicable) to produce the effectiveness. So you could probably think like:

Fighting Vs. Type 1 * Fighting Vs. Type 2 * Flying * Type 1 + Flying * Type 2 = Effectiveness
Fi1 * Fi2 * Fl1 * Fl2 = E

So if you were attacking my Venomoth with it, it would be like:

Fighting Vs. Bug * Fighting Vs. Poison * Flying Vs. Bug * Flying Vs. Poison = Effectiveness, or in short:
0.5 * 0.5 * 2 * 1 = 0.5

SN: (Dear god, pardon the extremely sloppy attempt at making a math equation up there. This is what happens when you don't go to college, you force yourself to improvise)

And with an Immunity, you would automatically plug in a "0" to the equation, thus making it take no damage at all. Not totally sure if this means an 8x move is now openly possible, or even a 16x move by those standards. As far as I know, I don't think there's any Pokemon who has BOTH types 4x weak both to Fighting AND Flying, let alone the same for both types being 2x weak. So the highest you could possibly go is probably 4x, with one type being weak to Fighting and the other being weak to Flying with no resistances in between (Scrafty, for instance) since there's no overlapping weaknesses to both.

Hmm, so does it normally replicate Earthquake in singles? Have you tested it more times in doubles and found that it still doesn't work? Are there any other area moves you could try on Kangaskhan?
It works normally in singles. My 3DS is out of power... but I have a replay of the latest battle, it doesn't seem to be up yet on my gl account though. Earthquake does hit twice in singles.

Has Iron fist been buffed or is it still the same?
Would be so awesome if it was a 50% boost like strong jaws. Unlikely though.
And Another thing..
Does defog affect the weather/field effects?
Like if you use defog on drizzle/sunny day/grassy field/trick room/gravity will these moves be reset?

Last edited:
Does Boomburst bypass Substitute like Hyper Voice? Also, does Round and similar attacks(Echoed Voice?) also do this?

Has Iron fist been buffed or is it still the same?
Would be so awesome if it was a 50% boost like strong jaws. Unlikely though.
It's the same. Just tested it to be sure.
It's disappointing too, Tough Claws affects all the same moves + a shitton of others, and gives an even bigger boost.

Can somebody try to confirm/reject my assumption that having the No Guard ability drastically improves chances of secondary move effects happening against the No Guard pokemon?
I haven't used No Guard before this gen, but no wiki states anything like that about 5th gen behaviour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)