Battle Mechanics Research

Asked this question several pages ago. Can someone test this plz.
Sorry, I tested this last night but forgot to post about it here. Using Thief against a Justified Virizion did damage and then activated Justified for the attack boost. In other words, it looks like it's the same as last gen.

Sorry, I tested this last night but forgot to post about it here. Using Thief against a Justified Virizion did damage and then activated Justified for the attack boost. In other words, it looks like it's the same as last gen.
Such a shame...it and heatproof are still useless then:(

I just tested the following in Le Yeah, so I cannot provide proof. If you guys want me to, I can body some fools in the Maison and save that video for you.
ANYWAY-
If a Pokemon is given a choice item via Symbiosis after consuming its Gem, it will be able to choose a different move on the next turn.

Could someone test if using Entrainment to give the Klutz ability to something prevents Mega Evolution?
Should be able to test it by catching a Klutz Audino in a Normal-type FS and teaching it Entrainment.

Does Flying Press get extra reduced damage on Electrolize against Heliolisk? The resulting move should be a dual Electric/Flying move, resisted "twice" by Heliolisk. Any idea if this works as a regular not-very-effective damage?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I apologise if this was brought up before, but I decided to test Grassy Terrain's healing for end of turn effect priority. I want to Restaurant Le Nah for this (First trainer has Pansear & Pansage), & tested with a Leftovers Floette alongside an Ingrain Abomasnow. The result was after setting up R1, the order was (with Floette taking prior damage):

Floette took Hail Damage
Pansear took Hail Damage
Pansage took Hail Damage
Abomasnow recovered health from Grassy Terrain
Floette recovered health from Grassy Terrain
Floette recovered health from Leftovers
Pansear recovered health from Grassy Terrain
Pansage recovered health from Grassy Terrain
Abomasnow recovered health from Ingrain

Basically the end of turn effect priority of Grassy Terrain recovery is the same as Leftovers recovery, but its healing will occur first, then Leftovers on the same Pokémon before continuing.

Due to lack of equipment, I cannot show undeniable proof, but I can assure (and confirm) that this is the case if you test it yourself.

I didn't see it in the opening post, but even though Quick Guard (and I assume Wide Guard) no longer fail if used repeatedly, they still count as being used in a row for the purpose of Detect (and probably Protect and Endure as well).
I don't have a video, but I made a Battle Video that shows it.
MHXG-WWWW-WWW3-3TXH
Hawlucha uses Quick Guard the first two turns and when it tries to Detect on Turn 3, the move fails.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
On a related note, can a Pokemon that has eaten a berry still use Belch after being given another item (and then switched out sand back in)?
Yes, it seems that Belch can be used for the rest of the battle once a Berry has been consumed, regardless of what the last item consumed is.

I had Garbodor hold a Payapa Berry and get hit with Floette's Psychic, then Floette passed it a Normal Gem. Belch could be selected and used even after switching out and back in. Garbodor then used the Normal Gem and it could still use Belch in both cases.

There must be some flag that is set specifically for Berry usage for each Pokemon, but more testing needs to be done to see if it extends to Bug Bite and Pluck (probably easiest to breed Belch onto Heatmor to test with).

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
There must be some flag that is set specifically for Berry usage for each Pokemon, but more testing needs to be done to see if it extends to Bug Bite and Pluck (probably easiest to breed Belch onto Heatmor to test with).
I'm pretty sure Harvest already used this "flag" in BW, so Belch probably works off the same mechanic.

Eating a Berry with Bug Bite does allow Belch to be usable. I had my Heatmor with no item use Bug Bite on my Linoone that was holding an Oran Berry, and Heatmor's Belch did damage the next turn. Presumably Pluck will work the same way, but I think Smeargle is the only way to test that right now.

Edit: You could actually probably do it without Smeargle if you use Mirror Move on something with Belch: Mandibuzz learns both through level-up, but Smeargle is probably faster if you don't have one available.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I'm pretty sure Harvest already used this "flag" in BW, so Belch probably works off the same mechanic.
Harvest used the last item consumed to determine whether to regenerate a Berry; if like in my Belch test you used a Berry and then used a Normal Gem, the last item consumed would not be a Berry and Harvest would never activate again unless you got a new Berry and used that.
Eating a Berry with Bug Bite does allow Belch to be usable. I had my Heatmor with no item use Bug Bite on my Linoone that was holding an Oran Berry, and Heatmor's Belch did damage the next turn. Presumably Pluck will work the same way, but I think Smeargle is the only way to test that right now.
Very interesting, thanks for the quick test!

So, I had a few more ideas for Belch and decided to test them. First, for those who don't know, if your Pokemon has not eaten a held berry, it can't even select Belch at all and will throw up a text box and force you to choose again. This is similar to being under the effect of Taunt or a Choice item (and more) in-game and trying to use a move you've been locked out of. There's still a few more tests I want to run with this, but for implementing this on Showdown, Belch should probably be grayed out until it's able to be used (sorry if this is already the case; I didn't check it, but I haven't seen much posted about this particular aspect of Belch).

Next, if you consume a Berry with Natural Gift, you will not be able to use Belch. :( I tested this with a Bellsprout that had been passed Natural Gift and Belch as egg moves.

In the final test I did, I decided to try using the Pluck and Mirror Move strategy for using Belch I outlined in my last post. In short, Mirror Move failed when it tried to copy Belch, even though the Mandibuzz I used had eaten a berry with Pluck. A detailed description of the test is under the spoiler tag:
For this test I went to Le Nah with a Mandibuzz and a Heatmor, both of which were holding Oran Berries. The Pans were irrelevant, so I won't include what they did.
Turn 1: Mandibuzz uses Pluck on Heatmor, eating its Oran Berry, and Heatmor uses Bug Bite on Mandibuzz, eating its Oran Berry.
Turn 2: Mandibuzz uses Nasty Plot to waste its turn, while Heatmor uses Belch on Mandibuzz.
Turn 3: Mandibuzz uses Mirror Move on Heatmor, the attack fails, while Heatmor uses Belch again.
Turn 4: I attack the Pansage/Panpour and end the battle.

The results of this probably mean that moves like Copycat and Me First will fail if they try to use Belch, whether the user of that move has eaten a berry or not. Metronome might not call it either, but I'm less sure about that. These moves would all need to be tested either way.

Edit: A few more tests! But first, "*Pokemon's name* hasn't eaten any held berry, so it can't possibly belch!" is the text that appears when Belch is unusable (and belch is lower case).

These weren't terribly surprising, but if a Pokemon has two available moves, one of which is an unusable Belch, and is under the effects of Torment, the Pokemon will use Struggle when it tries to use Belch. The same goes for Taunt if Belch is its only attacking move and is unusable. If a Pokemon only knows Belch, and it can't use it, it will use Struggle.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In response to some claims I found dubious I have confirmed that a Pokemon with Shadow Tag can use Perish Song.

This was tested in Doubles with Wobbuffett, Reuniclus with Skill Swap, and of course a Laparas with Perish Song.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)