Battle Mechanics Research

This was asked a long time ago, but I never saw someone answer it. The effects of Taunt will wear off if a Pokemon under its effect receives the ability Oblivious through Skill Swap.

Has anyone researched whether Zoroark copies Mega Evolutions? Let's say I mega-evolve my Venusaur and it is in the last spot of the party, will Illusion copy the mega-evo or just the base form? Or is my knowledge of Illusion incorrect? I would test myself, but it's proving to be very laborious finding a Zoroark. I also looked through the OP and many older posts but did not find any mention besides another person asking this question

Last edited:
Has anyone researched whether Zoroark copies Mega Evolutions? Let's say I mega-evolve my Venusaur and it is in the last spot of the party, will Illusion copy the mega-evo or just the base form? Or is my knowledge of Illusion incorrect? I would test myself, but it's proving to be very laborious finding a Zoroark. I also looked through the OP and many older posts but did not find any mention besides another person asking this question
I just tested it, and Illusion will copy the mega evolution instead of the base form.

Also, a few more Belch tests! As expected, eating a berry with Pluck will allow Belch to be used. Lastly, this has no application in competitive play, but the text in-game specifying held berries is actually true. Using a Berry from your bag on a Pokemon with Belch will not allow it to use the move.

I just tested it, and Illusion will copy the mega evolution instead of the base form.

Also, a few more Belch tests! As expected, eating a berry with Pluck will allow Belch to be used. Lastly, this has no application in competitive play, but the text in-game specifying held berries is actually true. Using a Berry from your bag on a Pokemon with Belch will not allow it to use the move.
Well, you're a lady who loves her Belches... I appreciate all the testing, and you make me want to use the move in a team now.

The only thing I can think of that can be tested now would be if the "berry consumed" effect could be Baton Passed.

Just if anyone was wondering, Aroma Veil protects your team from Attract aside from Taunt, Torment, Encore, Disable and Cursed Body, meaning it has the same effect that Mental Herb has. Presumably it blocks Cute Charm's infatuation as well, but I haven't confirmed it.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Following on from the above Aroma Veil tests, I did some more tests with cbt. Since it seems it just has the same effect as Mental Herb, Heal Block is also prevented by Aroma Veil, but Imprison is not prevented. Interestingly, Aroma Veil is unlike other Ability immunities in that it only prevents the conditions from happening, and does not cure them instantly if they do happen. Mold Breaker Taunt went through Aroma Veil's protection and was not cured right away, which is unlike say Mold Breaker Toxic getting cured immediately on an Immunity Pokemon.

Video: G5QW-WWWW-WWW3-76BT

When researching data about the new berries Euler and I also tested Natural Gift and it seemed like Kee and Maranga Berry both result in an attack that has a base power of probably 100. I don't have the exact data to back it up, as Euler did those tests and I don't have access to these berries, but this made me think about a possible boost for Natural Gift with older berries, so I tested a bit in Le Nah by attacking my partner. I used the following pokemon:

Level 76 Talonflame (163 Attack) vs. Level 77 Azumarill (172 Defense):
Natural Gift with Payapa Berry:
Expected Damage with Base Power 60: 32, 32, 33, 33, 33, 34, 34, 34, 35, 35, 36, 36, 36, 37, 37, 38
Real Damage: 48, 48, 49 (after that my Talonflame leveled up, so I stopped this spontaneous and not well-prepared test).

And while the data from three fights is not enough to determine an exact number for the new base power, it's obvious that Natural Gift was changed for at least some of the older berries, maybe even all berries. The new Base Power for Payapa Berry seems to be either 80 oder 90, further tests are needed to get an exact result.

So yeah, I don't have any exact data and won't be able to do further tests the next days, but it might be interesting to know that Natural Gift got a boost in power regardless, so I wanted to note it here.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
You can't Sky Drop your ally in a Double Battle.
The target of Sky Drop cannot Mega Evolve on the second turn of Sky Drop. They can choose the option to Mega Evolve but it won't do anything.

This was tested with a Charizard and a Banette.

Just if anyone was wondering, Aroma Veil protects your team from Attract aside from Taunt, Torment, Encore, Disable and Cursed Body, meaning it has the same effect that Mental Herb has. Presumably it blocks Cute Charm's infatuation as well, but I haven't confirmed it.
This is the same effect that's been granted to Oblivious as well, right?

Found out the hard way today that Grass types, along with Spore, Poison Powder, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Cotton Spore and Effect Spore (which I tested earlier!), are now also immune to the effects of Rage Powder.

I battled a Chespin earlier with Ursaring and Amoonguss, and Chespin hit Ursaring with Seed Bomb, ignoring Amoonguss.

How does Quick Guard react with Gale Wings?
For the curious: In Generation V, Quick Guard could only block moves that were naturally high priority; Pokémon with Prankster could get through with their ability.

To answer your question, in this generation, Quick Guard can block moves affected by Prankster and Gale Wings.

not sure if this has been tested already or not (sorry if it has)

Pokemon that have got mummy from Cofagrigus don't keep it upon mega evolving. Admittedly, this is logical, but I was curious, so thought I'd check

Pokemon that have got mummy from Cofagrigus don't keep it upon mega evolving. Admittedly, this is logical, but I was curious, so thought I'd check
not to be unexpected since the mega forms have their own ability which changes the base forms ability so it would make sense it would go to the mega form's ability even if the base form's ability is changed.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

What did you check it with? I'm curious as to how Mega Evolving and changing ability works. How about Speed Boost Blaziken? Does Mega Evolving always trigger a change in ability even though the ability remains the same? So like if you got a Mummied Blaziken and then it regains Speed Boost after Mega Evolving or would it still remain as Mummy because Blaziken has the same ability as its Mega Evolution and hence will not trigger Speed Boost to override Mummy. My guess is that it'll still override. Worry Seed should probably work the same but maybe just test it to be very sure haha :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)