Tournament Battle Spot Singles Circuit 2017 Invitational - FINALS [Won by: Jmal98!]

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
1. chemcoop vs 8. Jmal98
follow @chem_coop on twitter

4. Doobzi vs 5. Solerme
this game is sure to be a real doobzi and i'd make a similar pun about solerme's name except i have no clue how to pronounce it

3. Mishimono vs 6. NOVED
My goal is to carry the torch of justice. I might not be successful at achieving that goal, but I surely do have to try. Princess Mishimono has been trying for quite some time to convince us that criminals are merely social rebels. I suggest she take this rotting ordure and dump it where she and her fellow effete blatherers congregate. At least then we could provide actionable steps people can take to make this a place where minds, souls, and bodies can feel safe from querulous converts to antidisestablishmentarianism without having to worry that she will instill distrust and thereby create a need for her petty views. It may be soothing and pleasant for her to think that her conceits are Right with a capital R, but at this point in the post I had planned to tell you that anyone who has spent any amount of time doing his homework knows that her hastily mounted campaigns run on pure irony. However, one of my colleagues pointed out that it is better to be a little old-fashioned but honest and loyal than enlightened and modern but immature and unscrupulous. Hence, I discarded the discourse I had previously prepared and substituted the following discussion in which I argue that no one likes being attacked by the most fastidious exponents of radicalism you'll ever see. Even worse, Princess Mishimono exploits our fear of those attacks—which she claims will evolve by the next full moon into biological, chemical, or nuclear attacks—as a pretext to expand, augment, and intensify the size and intrusiveness of her Praetorian Guard. If you think that's scary, then you should remember that Princess Mishimono's muddleheaded denunciations are meticulously designed to keep the population unaware, uneducated, dumbed down, and focused on stupefying activities like video games. The intention is to prevent people from noticing that Princess Mishimono has been tormenting, harrying, and persecuting anyone who crosses her path.

I would like to digress here. Princess Mishimono fails to show respect for the rights of others to hold opinions differing from her own. Excuse me; that's not entirely correct. What I meant to say is that I recently heard a famous celebrity—I forgot which one—say, “I object more to Princess Mishimono's dastardly offhand remarks than I do to her colossal ignorance and fallacious beliefs.” That's such a great quote, I wish I had been the one who thought of it. Sadly, the cleverest thing I ever said was that even if the majority of Princess Mishimono's satraps are peaceful, 20% of them intend to play on people's conscious and unconscious belief structures. 20% is in fact a large number of people—and is probably a low estimate. You should therefore not disregard the fact that we must stop Princess Mishimono now. Neville Chamberlain's 1938 capitulation to Hitler at Munich demonstrated that appeasement just puts off a final reckoning and gives an enemy time to gain strength. That's why it is imperative that we establish clear, justifiable definitions of heathenism and incendiarism so that one can defend a decision to take action when Princess Mishimono's fans sharpen intergroup tensions.

2. greilmercenary9 vs 7. Nat
what a mess of a username that is lmao

Last edited:
chemcoop vs Jmal98 - I'm gonna feel bad if no-one predicts Jmal to pull through again, since he is very good, but betting against chem is a fool's game.
Doobzi vs Solerme - :italy: Solerme's future sight has already locked in his plays, the set has already been won (or lost).
Mishimono vs NOVED - I think NOVED is favoured, but the only thing I can say with certainty is that one of them is getting mished.
greilmercenary9 vs Nat - I don’t know much about greil, the quiet ladderer. But I am fully on board the ‘Natalie for Battle Spot Singles Circuit 2017 Invitational Champion’ train.

Had a family problem for today, told even to Doobzi on discord and i'm writing it even here just in case he doesn't see. I hope he can reschedule for tomorrow
Sorry but it was kinda unexpected

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
Definitely a bit salty that my run ended to a Sludge Bomb poison/Focus Miss, but it's the game we play I suppose.

Looking back on the year, I'm still pretty happy with how everything turned out. A little over a year ago, I was a pretty reckless BSS player who slapped together teams from whatever Pokémon I had in the box and relied on crazy predicts to try to get to the 1800s every season. After seeing on Twitter that a BSS circuit was being started, I decided to make a Smogon account for the sole purpose of joining BSSC and trying to qualify for and win the BSSC Invite.

Though that didn't happen this year, I'm still very grateful to everyone who helped me improve as a teambuilder, player, and Smogon contributor. I'm definitely happy with my 3 BSSC titles and finally reaching the 2000 point mark on cart. It's been a ton of fun chatting in the Discord/PS, playing in tours, getting into streaming, and making new friends in this wonderful community. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) streaming the rest of these sets and beginning USUM teambuilding so I can come back stronger than ever in next year's circuit.

Shout-outs to some special people:
- NOVED for getting me into streaming, encouraging me to be more active in the community, and overall being a cool dude.
- cant say for being my partner in crime in creating fire memes and co-complainer about hax during late night laddering sessions.
- DragonWhale for doing an amazing job hosting BSSC and BSPL.
- Psynergy for kicking my butt in way too many tournament sets, being a teambuilding buddy, and being a cool dude to talk with about anything.
- Nat for always being a fierce opponent, firing up my competitive spirit, occasionally helping with teams, and always supporting my tour runs.
- Mishimono for enlightening me on the finer points of using Dewgong and entertaining me with stories of insane hax on cart BSS.
- bobochan for livening up tour threads with crazy (and mostly inaccurate) predicts and keeping PS fun by creating CC1v1 and BSSF tours.
- Solerme for being my favorite Italian, #1 fan, and one of my favorite bros to talk to.
- Everyone else who I interacted with positively this year, thanks for the memories!

<3

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Solerme
The Magician from Italy finally got revenge on his rival Megazard, who he lost to during BSSC in a titanic 5 games set despite winning the initial bo3.
The elimination of Megazard also meant that the other players had one less threat to deal with, since Megazard was arguably the best player in an unfamiliar territory.
Time will only favour Megazard as he gains more experience from both his wins and losses, and hopefully we will see the former ACE player of the CAVs/TAPUs make a return to the circuit next year and cementing himself as one of the best in the BSS.
Doobzi put up way more of a fight than one might have anticipated, a player truly worthy of the "dark horse" title, winning games even with third-rate teams.
However the Italian had all the answers and trick (rooms) up his sleeves, an unlucky HJK miss and a few freezes from RNGesus himself meant that a semifinals spot was guaranteed.

Jmal98
Psynergy had played one of the greatest matches of his career, displaying a show of skills which earned him the title as the "God of RU".
Jmal had other plans, saved by the RNGesus with a nice HJK miss in game 1, crit Scald burn in game 2 and Flamethrower burn in game 3 which all happened in the end game stages.
Unconvinced by his performance in round 1, Jmal quickly found himself up against the strongest BSS player of the year, chem the GOAT-sensei in the next round.
After getting destroyed in game 1, Jmal was able to find form and secure game 2 and 3 with a crucial Sludge Bomb poison and Focus Blast miss which was quite unfortunate for our sensei.
Bringing his A game to game 4, Jmal denied a comeback from the GOAT, securing himself a spot in the semis and thereby eliminating the biggest threat in the tournament.

Expert's pick: At their respective peaks, Jmal98 is much stronger than the Italian, who's fame is well known throughout the entire Japanese community on PS.
With that said, if there's one person who can create miracles, it's Solerme, who is carrying the hopes of his nation, the farseers and fallen comrades on his back.

NOVED
The Kahuna was fully prepared for Jhon in round 1 while on the other hand, senpai wasn't at his 100%.
NOVED the Godsend took game 1 with a game-deciding crit in the last turn and had an overwhelmingly favourable match up in game 2.
RNG aside, NOVED played all 3 games near-perfectly and there was little room even for Jhon-senpai to make a comeback.
The following round vs Princess Mishimono was overkill and almost unnecessary.
With the way how NOVED played in the previous round, there was complete faith that he could beat mish without having to resort to stall, in all three games as a matter of fact.

Nat
In a similar fashion with NOVED's set with Jhon, Nat was dominating majority of the set vs Theorymon in round 1.
A rather unfortunate crit in game 3 prevented Theorymon's GSC Curselax nostalgia sweep, which might or might not have affected a possible comeback.
At the end of the day, Nat was the better player during the match.
Farseer greil9 started out game 1 and game 2 in perfection which somehow ended up in utter disaster.
Not sure if this was poor decision making or just nervous, handing two games to the opponent spelt doom for the farseer's no.1.
Proving to everyone why he was the best singles player on his BSPL team, greil9 took games 3 and 4 with fashion, to force the tiebreaker.
But ultimately, Nat is not a player one can afford to be 0-2 down with and the early setback costed the farseer dearly.

Expert's pick: Nat has a slight edge over NOVED, convincingly beating him during BSPL in the previous year.
Definitely the stronger bracket of the two, whoever wins this match has a very good shot at taking the title.​

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The deadline for this round is Sunday, December 31 11:59 PM. If you can't make it due to new years plans or other reasons let me know for an extension.

Schedule:
solerme vs jmal98
NOVED vs Nat: Sunday midnight GMT-5

Solerme vs Jmal98: I can't justify this. This is the single most even matchup we've seen throughout the entire tour in terms of consistency and ability from both players. I could have just as easily picked Solerme or flipped a coin and probably gone with whatever that says as well. Too close to call, hoping this will go to five games.

NOVED vs Natalie: Nothing about me wants to predict against either of these players, but I have a gut feeling about Natalie winning this. Not to say that NOVED isn't extremely strong because he absolutely is, and isn't to be underestimated either, but with close matchups like these you just have to go with your gut sometimes. Done in five games.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
solerme vs jmal98 - honestly solerme has been shaky in the first couple rounds, and jmal has had the perfect mix of skill and luck, so I can't see him slipping up here

NOVED vs Nat - noved's winning the whole thing. he's out for blood for bspl

As most of you know i'm a chatty type, but when it's up to these kind of things, like tournaments where i play or manage, i've never talked that much.
Anyway, before this top4 gets real, there are things that id like to say (should've probably eaten less pizza, i'll blame my grandma for this later).

This year has been pretty amazing for our community, with a lot of stuff that strongly linked the whole crew, such as the well organized tournaments, our discord, the cool people in the room hooked by the several initiative like this year-long tournament that was really a GREAT idea, and so on... (oh yeah, and of course Bobo's rankings).
Now it's the end of the year and i'd like to say that it's been a pleasure to be part of this (i know, i know.. I'm going :fullitaly: with this emotional stuff).

I'm also going to add something on my playstyle. I totally know that the way i play may seem cheap, and in a certain way it is indeed cheap. It all started with that dual screen espeon, where everyone laughed at it, and for a good reason (the memory of my first analysis still gives me goosebumbs). I constantly had to prove that i was, alongside with all the fantastic players that militate in our community, worth it. Even now, after getting several times to almost 1900 points on cart, or getting up to top4 here, i feel like i still haven't convinced the people around me and that part of my achievements are just part of a lucky-day :freezes:
Now, this could actually be seen as a bad thing, but actually it isn't for me. Trying to prove myself since that analysis meant becoming part of this place, meant knowing cool people, some of which are friends by now. So i'm definitely good with that.

I the end id like to wish good luck to my good buddy jmal, that has always been a bane for me, destroying me the good 70-80% of the times lol.

Ok i'm done with my emotional crap, but be prepared for the next year, it's going to be even more :italy:.

tl;dr
emo italian stuff + drama queen attitude

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In round 1 all went to the higher seeds
In round 2 all went to the lower seeds
In semis cant say predicted correctly

With all these incredible coincidences happening every round, what surprises await us in the finals?

6. NOVED vs 8. Jmal98

Deadline is Sunday, January 7 11:59PM EST.

Please let us know when you scheduled.

Last edited:
NOVED vs Jmal98: Not to understate Jmal's abilities, but NOVED has been incredibly strong throughout this entire tournament, winning with what looked like some relative ease vs very renowned and skilled battle spot players. Jmal has fought really hard and his efforts have lead him to this point, if he preps like NOVED does will then we'll be in for some good sets. Otherwise, this will be bloody. NOVED in four games.

won 3-1. I have to say if it werent for Noved I probably never would have gotten into playing competitively. he was the first person I met in this wonderful community and he took me under his wing during the first bspl and helped me get my start in competitive pokemon. Absolutely nothing but respect for everyone in this tournament, from Psynergy who completely outplayed me in every game but got screwed by rng, to chemcoop who I still view as the best battle spot singles player in 2017 (also got screwed by rng), to solerme who i've had such a history of competitive games with. And finally Noved who pretty much gave me my start in this community.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-684731492
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-684733315
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-684734937
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-684738016

Last edited:

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
won 3-1. I have to say if it werent for Noved I probably never would have gotten into playing competitively. he was the first person I met in this wonderful community and he took me under his wing during the first bspl and helped me get my start in competitive pokemon. Absolutely nothing but respect for everyone in this tournament, from Psynergy who completely outplayed me in every game but got screwed by rng, to chemcoop who I still view as the best battle spot singles player in 2017 (also got screwed by rng), to solerme who i've had such a history of competitive games with. And finally Noved who pretty much gave me my start in this community.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-684731492
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-684733315
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-684734937
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-684738016
I know I'm a bit late but congrats and I'm glad that you're having a great experience with the BSS community :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)