Battle Tree Discussion and Records

I know you are much more advanced into this than me but I have to propose a Pokemon I use for my Streak of 32(I know, not a lot)

Gluttony Snorlax
[Adamant]
@Figy Berry
Double-Edge (tedious egg move you have to teach)
Crunch
Earthquake
Recycle

252 Atk 100 Def 152 SDef(<- obviously can be optimized)

=> It is simply a great check to pretty much all non-fighting special attackers in the tree. In case you are unaware, Gluttony+Recycle is pretty much a Recover for Snorlax, a move it wanted since Gen 1. I use it in Singles alongside Pheromosa and Tapu Lele and it always comes in clutch.

I bet it can be optimized even further!
I kind of want to try this using an Impish set with full investment in bulk and run Belly Drum over EQ. Maybe Body Slam over Double Edge, and maybe Relaxed nature in a Trick Room team. Definitely want to Belly Drum somehow.

EDIT: Ran some quick calculations and not looking as promising as I would have hoped on the physical bulk, even with 252 HP / 252 Def+. Might still work with proper support. A doubles team with Belly Drum Snorlax and Psych Up on a second Pokémon(ex. Mimikyu) would be pretty cool too if you can pull it off.

Last edited:
Right now I'm breeding up a Jolly Mimikyu and a Bold Toxapex for singles BT. Looking to grind out a lot of BP. I don' have any BP items right now but plan on getting them soon. What mon/set would you recommend to run with these 2? Was looking at Pheromosa, Garchomp, Salamence, and a few others but not sure which is best or what to run on them. Thanks.

Right now I'm breeding up a Jolly Mimikyu and a Bold Toxapex for singles BT. Looking to grind out a lot of BP. I don' have any BP items right now but plan on getting them soon. What mon/set would you recommend to run with these 2? Was looking at Pheromosa, Garchomp, Salamence, and a few others but not sure which is best or what to run on them. Thanks.
The standard set on Toxapex works really well in my experience so far: Recover, Scald, Toxic, Haze. I just EV'd mine for HP & Def.

Last edited:
I've been lurking on Smogon since Gen IV pre-game, but I didn't actually start raising 'mons with competitive strategies in mind till XY, when I started messing around with Battle Maison. I didn't even know this thread existed till five minutes ago (which is a real shame, I was just looking at the competitive sets for BM) but I'm glad I found it since I want to try my hand at Battle Tree this gen. I'm a hard time building a team, though -- I want to build with/around my Incineroar:

Big Friend (Incineroar) @ Leftovers (?)
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Leech Life
- Darkest Lariat
- Earthquake

Basically just a modification on the defensive set in the competitive thread, EQ for coverage. I got lucky with an Impish Incineroar right off the bat, though I have yet to find a Leftovers, and I'm still trying to (literally) farm more EV-reducing Berries to get that spread.

I was thinking that Metagross might work well with this cat, as something that's similarly bulky, but I'm not sure. Also considering Skarm and/or Sylveon, or a dragon. My brain sees 3v3 and goes "you need that tank/healer/DPS combo!" but I don't know if I want to go with something fast and frail, or if I even need it with Incineroar packing a solid punch. All kinds of thoughts/comments appreciated!

The standard set on Toxapex works really well in my experience so far: Recover, Scald, Toxic, Haze. I just EV'd mine for HP & Def.
Sorry, I should have clarified. I was wondering who I should run as a third for those two and what set I could use on the third. I'm just about brand new to competitive Pokemon/BT so while my play is getting better I'm still really weak at team building for coverage/matchups/etc. Not sure who would cover weaknesses of these two, be good to switch in, good for coverage of the BT, all that good stuff - since everyone here is really deep into BT.

I'll be running Jolly Mimikyu (252 atk/spd) with either Wide Lens / Fairinium Z with his normal set of Swords Dance/Play Rough/Shadow Sneak/Shadow Claw and Toxapex (252hp/def) with his standard set too. The one you listed holding a Black Sludge with that moveset you listed.

I'll be running Jolly Mimikyu (252 atk/spd) with either Wide Lens / Fairinium Z with his normal set of Swords Dance/Play Rough/Shadow Sneak/Shadow Claw and Toxapex (252hp/def) with his standard set too. The one you listed holding a Black Sludge with that moveset you listed.
Have you considered giving Mimikyu a Ghostium Z? At least between those two Pokemon, you are going to struggle against Steels and many things that resist Fairy IMO

Alright, I was using a slight variation of HeadsIWins team and here's my path to 50 wins, minus roosts and kings shields. With the exception of a few battles it was relatively easy so I wish best of luck to thread newcomers looking for help.
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant
Multiscale
52 HP / 252 Attack / 12 Def / 188 Spe, 4 mystery EV's not in any stat...
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Roost

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Tapu Fini @ Misty Seed
Imperfect speed IV, not hyper trained, only mattered once so far
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Ability: Misty Surge
Level: 100
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Surf

All credit as due to VaporeonIce, GG Unit, and HeadsIWinTailsYouLose
And Thanks to Turskain, who is the only reason I get anywhere in the Maison or the Tree
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try 3: All Mons are in order of appearance
Battle 1: Dylan: Tentacruel-1, Umbreon-1, Beedrill-1: Swap Aegislash, SD x 3, Shadow Sneak OHKO, Sacred Sword OHKO, Shadow Sneak OHKO
Battle 2: Helen: Drifblim-1, Shiinotic-1, Oranguru-1,: DD x 4, he baton passes to Shiinotic, swap to Aegislash, SD x 3, Shadow Sneak 2HKO, Sacred Sword OHKO, Shadow Sneak OHKO
Battle 3: Buster: Gigalith-1, Probopass-1, Cradily-1: Swap to Tapu Fini, 2HKO Surf, 3HKO surf, ice beam 5HKO
Battle 4: Parker: Marowak-1, Tyrantrum-1, Pidgeot-1: DD x 6, EQ OHKO, OHKO, Outrage OHKO
Battle 5: Agrata: Goodra-1, Crobat-1, Salazzle-1: Outrage OHKO, OHKO, OHKO
Battle 6: Conley: Ampharos-1, Steelix-1, Kingdra-1: Swap Tapu Fini, swapped Aegislash, SD x 2, sacred sword OHKO, paralyze, die to EQ Steelix, swap Dragonite, DD x 1, AI swapped Kingdra, Outrage OHKO, EQ 2HKO
Battle 7: Kayla: Durant-1, Manectric-1, Houndoom-1: DD x 3, EQ OHKO, EQ OHKO, EQ OHKO
Battle 8: Scoop: Sharpedo-1, Alakazam-1, Bisharp-1: Swap to Tapu Fini, moonblast OHKO, swap to Aegislash, shadow sneak OHKO, Sacred Sword OHKO
Battle 9: Shanta: Kangaskhan-1, Togekiss-1, Braviary-1: DD + Outrage OHKO, Swap Aegislash, SD x 3, wait out encore, 3HKO with shadow sneak, swap Tapu Fini, Ice beam 3HKO
Battle 10: Kiawe: Salazzle-4, Arcanine-4, Talonflame-3: Used DD, EQ OHKO, OHKO, swap Tapu Fini, Surf 2HKO through sash.
Battle 11: Benjamin: Aurorus-2, Froslass-2, Weavile-1: DD, EQ OHKO, swap Tapu Fini, moonblast 2HKO, cursed body disabled moonblast, swap Aegislash, swap Tapu Fini, Moonblast 2HKO
Battle 12: Agrata: Gastrodon-1, Snorlax-1, Scrafty-1 : DD x 2, EQ OHKO, Outrage OHKO, Outrage OHKO
Battle 13: Kaula: Togekiss-2, Durant-2, Electrode-2: Swap to Aegislash, SD x 3, Shadow Sneak OHKO, Sacred Sword OHKO, Shadow sneak 2HKO
Battle 14: Jairo: Hippowdon-1, Weezing-2, Blaziken-2: Outrage 3HKO, swap Tapu Fini, swap Aegislash, SD x 3, sacred sword, lose Aegislash (wouldn't if had 79 speed, second time this has happened), swap Tapu Fini, surf chips, swap in Dragonite, Outrage KO's, Outrage hits twice, EQ KO
Battle 15: Kaula rematch: Heat Rotom-1, Gallade-2, Lopunny-2: Swap Tapu Fini, Surf 2HKO, swap Aegislash, SD + Shadow Sneak OHKO, Sacred sword KO through 3 subs and a crit thunder punch
Battle 16: Parker: Machamp-1, Jolteon-1, Lycanroc-1: Swap Tapu Fini, Moonblast 2HKO, swap Dragonite, took Swagger and EQ OHKO, EQ OHKO.
Battle 17: Duncan: Togekiss-2, Slaking-1, Tyrantrum-2: Swap Aegislash, SD x 3, shadow sneak OHKO, Sacred sword OHKO, OHKO
Battle 18: Dylan rematch: Salazzle-1, Gothitelle-1, Sableye-1: Swap Aegislash, swap Dragonite, EQ OHKO, DD x 2, Outrage OHKO, OHKO
Battle 19: Mardea: Gastrodon-1, Aerodactyl-1, Manectric-1: DD x 2, EQ OHKO, swap Aegislash, SD x 3, shadow sneak OHKO, OHKO
Battle 20: Cynthia: Garchomp-4, Togekiss-3, Spiritomb-3/4?: Swap Tapu Fini, ice beam 2HKO, swapped like crazy to try and PP Stall Togekiss, lost Dragonite, then Tapu Fini, then Aegislash SD x3 + Shadow Sneak OHKO, OHKO
Battle 21: Skip: Carracosta-1, Wash Rotom-2, Togedemaru-2 : Swap Tapu Fini, GK chip, swap Aegislash, Shadow sneak KO, tricked choice scarf, swap Dragonite, DD + outrage KO, EQ OHKO
Battle 22: Dyson: Shuckle-3, Ursaring-2, Bewear-2: DD x 6, AI withdraws shuckle, EQ OHKO, Outrage OHKO, 2HKO
Battle 23: Julien: Carracosta-3, Flygon-3, Bisharp-3: DD + EQ Chips then AI withdraws, Outrage OHKO, KO, chips, EQ KO
Battle 24: Ikram: Camerupt-2, Heat-Rotom-1/2?, Flareon-2: DD x 2, EQ OHKO, Outrage OHKO, OHKO
Battle 25: Nobunaga: Drampa-1/2?, Carracosta-2, Skarmory-1: Outrage OHKO, chips, EQ KO, DD, Outrage chip, whirlwinded to aegislash Sacred Sword 2HKO
Battle 26: Cheryl: Salamence-2, Magmortar-2, Froslass-1: Swap Tapu Fini, Ice beam Chips, swap Aegislash, Shadow sneak KO, swap Tapu Fini, Lose Tapu Fini, swap Dragonite, DD + EQ OHKO, Outrage OHKO
Battle 27: Zeno: Jolteon-3, Glaceon-3, Flareon-2: EQ OHKO, swap Tapu Fini, swap Aegislash, SD + Sacred Sword + Shadow sneak KO, Sacred Sword + Shadow sneak KO
Battle 28: Hart: Arcanine-2, Gyarados-1, Dusknoir-2: DD + EQ OHKO, Outrage 2HKO, 2HKO
Battle 29: Calliope: Honchkrow-2, Alolan Exeggutor-1, Ferrothorn-2: DD + Outrage OHKO, OHKO, DD + EQ chip, lose DRagonite, swap Aegislash, sacred sword KO
Battle 30: Kiawe: Salazzle-3, Kangaskhan-3, Arcanine-3/4? : EQ 2HKO, swap Aegislash, use SD to PP stall Sucker Punch, Sacred sword OHKO, Shadow Sneak OHKO
Battle 31: Alim: Leafeon-2, Mow Rotom-2, Unfezant-2: Swap Tapu Fini, Swap Aegislash, SD x 2, Sacred sword on sub, shadow sneak KO, Shadow Sneak Chip, swap Dragonite, Outrage KO, chip, lost Dragonite, Tapu Fini Ice beam KO
Battle 32: Arnold: Bouffalant-4, Mamoswine-2/4, Glaceon-2/4: Swap Aegislash, swap Dragonite, DD, Outrage OHKO, OHKO, OHKO
Battle 33: Kiernan: Arcanine-1, Lurantis-1, Leafeon-3: DD + EQ OHKO, DDx2, Outrage OHKO, OHKO
Battle 34: Chucky: Ampharos-4, Oricorio(fire)-1, Scrafty-4: Outrage OHKO, OHKO, swap Tapu Fini, moonblast 2HKO
Battle 35: Dara: Mudsdale-3, Braviary-2, Wishiwashi-3: Swap Tapu Fini, GK 2HKO, swap Aegislash, SDx3, AI U-turns to Wishiwashi, sacred Sword OHKO, OHKO
Battle 36: Brantley: Greninja-2, Tentacruel-3, Bronzong-1/2?: Swap Tapu Fini, Moonblast OHKO, swap Aegislash, swap Dragonite, swap Tapu Fini, Swap Aegislash, swap dragonite, swap tapu fini, swap aegislash, swap Dragonite, lose Dragonite, swap Aegislash, SD x 3, Shadow sneak 2HKO, OHKO
Battle 37: Dara: Glaceon-2, Lanturn-3, Vaporen-3: swap Tapu Fini, Moonblast 3HKO, swap Aegislash, swap Tapu Fini, swap Aegislash, SD x 2, Sacred Sword OHKO, Shadow Sneak 2HKO
Battle 38: Lou: Hippowdon-1, Steelix-4, Gigalith-2/3: Whirlwinded to Aegislash, swap back to Dragonite, outrage chip, AI withdraws hippowdon sends Steelix, chip steelix, lose dragonite, swap Tapu Fini, surf 2HKO, 2HKO, KO
Battle 39: Granville: Crobat-3, Dugtrio-2, Greninja-3: Swap Aegislash, SD x 3, Shadow sneak OHKO, OHKO, 2HKO
Battle 40: Colress: Klinklang-4, Alolan Muk-1, Magnezone-3/4?: Swap Aegislash, SD x 3, Shadow Sneak OHKO, Sacred Sword OHKO, OHKO
Battle 41: Robyn: Oranguru-4, Reuniclus-3/4, Torterra-4: DD x 2, Outrage OHKO, OHKO, OHKO
Battle 42: Munin: Goodra-3/4, Vikavolt-4, Leafeon-3: Outrage OHKO, chip, lose Dragonite to Guillotine, swap Tapu Fini, Moonblast KO, Ice beam chip, lose Fini, swap Aegislash, SD + Shadow sneak KO
Battle 43: Xio: Shiinotic-3, Florges-3/4?, Togekiss-4: Swap Tapu Fini, swap Aegislash, SD x 2, Shadow sneak 2HKO, OHKO, 2HKO
Battle 44: Heidi: Weavile-4, Lickilicky-3, Slaking-4: Swap Tapu Fini, Moonblast 2HKO, chip with moonblast, swap Aegislash, sacred sword KO, SD + Sacred Sword OHKO
Battle 45: Lea: Infernape-3, Blaziken-4, Delphox-3/4?: DD + EQ OHKO, OHKO, OHKO
Battle 46: Aino: Wash Rotom-4, Gradevoir-4, Metagross-3: DD + Outrage OHKO, lose Dragonite, Swap Aegislash, SD x 2 + Shadow Sneak OHKO, OHKO
Battle 47: Xio Rematch: Mawile-3, Sylveon-1/3/4, Gardevoir-3: Swap Aegislash, SD x 3, Sacred Sword OHKO, Shadow Sneak OHKO, OHKO
Battle 48: Munin Rematch: Serperior-3, Hydreigon-3, Meganium-3: DD x 2, Outrage 2HKO through sub, misplay lost Dragonite to Hydreigon, swap Tapu Fini, Moonblast OHKO, Ice beam chipped, swap Aegislash, Sacred Sword + Shadow Sneak KO
Battle 49: Ignacio: Latias-4, Terrakion-3/4, Cobalion- : Swap Tapu Fini, Moonblast chip, Lost Fini to MASSIVE crit??, swap Aegislash, SD x 2, Shadow Sneak OHKO, Sacred sword OHKO, OHKO
Battle 50: Red: Venusaur-4, Charizard-3/4?, Lapras-3/4 : Swap Aegislash, SD x 3, Sacred Sword chip, AI switches Charizard, Shadow sneak OHKO, Sacred Sword OHKO, Shadow Sneak KO
2G9G-WWWW-WWW2-T97V

What? Drama in this thread? Did I miss something? Lol

Pheromosa shares a weakness so in my experience it should not be used with Toxapex (unless, say, your third is a dark type, but even then what if it faints?)
While you might say "um uturn destroys them?" Well my streak ended when primarina of all things happened to carry psychic, (plus a damn kebia berry, cutting poison jab damage) so coverage counts too.

I actually like Salamence with the two you mentioned, at least on paper. It's immune to EQ which is a thorn in Toxapex's side, and Tox resists ice and fairy. Now, your type synergy isn't amazing, mind you, but it's not bad and you have no shared weakness with mimikyu, Salamence and Toxapex.

Hey i'm back! you guys might remember me as the guy who took a Venomoth to over 260 in super singles but enough of that.
Finally bred some things together and made it past battle 20 in Singles. Heres the team i'm using so far.

Gyarados: Male (EPIC SPLASH)
Item: Normalium Z.
Nature: Jolly.
Ability: Intimidate.
IV’s: 31/ 31/ 31/**/ 31/ 31
EV’s: 252 Atk. 252 Speed. 4 Def.
-Splash
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Waterfall

Garchomp: Female (Cynthia)
Item: Life orb.
Nature: Jolly.
Ability: Rough Skin.
IV’s: 31/ 31/ 31/ **/ 31/ 31
EV’s: 252 Atk. 252 Speed. 4 Def
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Fire Fang

Mimikyu: Female (PLZ Love Me)
Item: Lum Berry.
Nature: Adamant.
Ability: Disguise.
IV’s: 31/ 31/ 31/ **/ 31/ 31
EV’s: 252 Atk. 252 Speed. 4 Def
-Swords Dance
-Play Rough
-Shadow Claw
-Shadow Sneak

Not sure if anyone has been doing some Z-Splash sweeps yet, but its so much fun! Most of the matches iv'e had have just been using Gyarados. Gyarados has some nice synergy with Garchomp, being immune to electric and resisting rock. Mimikyu's disguise has saved me so many times as well. its ghost/ fairy typing also helps to counter dragon types and turn 1 fake out users.

I really should get a Pokemon on the special side to use, but I have absolutely no clue.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I've been playing the doubles format here as a way to get warmed up for Battle Spot with my new team. I'm working with Tapu Bulu and Ninetales as lead, with Pelipper and Mega Metagross in the back, and I've been doing okay with this team. Double weather really helps when the AI brings out weather themselves, Bulu's terrain counters any damage to my team from hail and swings like a truck (I'm using big root on battle tree, but when I get enough BP I'll likely change that item out with something more appropriate), ninetales provides useful aurora veil support (I'm using light clay atm, when I switch to battle spot I'll likely swap in focus sash, and swap encore for protect). Pelipper is built based off of watching Cybertron's VGC analysis for Pelipper on youtube, and helps reduce fire damage with rain, brings tailwind support, and hits hard with z-powered Hydro Pump. I might try scald instead soon tho. Mega Metagross likes having rain and reduced damage from earthquake. I haven't encountered trick room on battle tree yet, which I think is likely going to wreck my team, but we'll see how it turns out lol.

If you guys think this team can be improved, I'm willing to hear suggestions. :)

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Aurora Veil
- Encore

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Pelipper @ Waterium Z
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Big Root
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

I see Aerodactyl is still the flinch king. turn 1 rock slide flinched my gyarados, then got 3 more rock slide flinches on my Mimikyu in a row. I use shadow sneak before it dies.
garchomps outrage takes it out then a lycanrock midnight form comes out. survives on 1 hp and uses counter. GG Battle Tree. GG!!
wasn't even up to battle 20 on super singles. and it wasn't a choice scarf aerodacytl since it used skydrop on garchomp.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry folks for being late to the party on this whole Koro Sensei thing. Thankfully, Codraroll took care of it, but I'm a little bit miffed, as we don't normally have difficulties with people attacking other members here. Don't lie, don't cheat, and keep things civil. If making dubious claims, be sure to give lots of evidence concerning your streak. All of this should be pretty basic. The vast majority of people are already good on this, so frustrating to even have to post a reminder.

In happier news, I'm actually close to being able to start building tree teams. My playthrough of the main game has been slow, but I'm almost done. Also, I'm thrilled about being able to essentially transmute 150 festival points (100 if you couple it with a plaza level up) into a bottle cap by adding a VIP's level 2 lottery for 100 coins, grabbing the automatic first draw bottle cap, replacing the lottery with a random level 1 facility for 50 festival points, and then repeating. While it means that bottle caps still can't be used completely freely, it makes them common enough I don't need to feel guilty about using them on a pre-bank team.

I see Aerodactyl is still the flinch king. turn 1 rock slide flinched my gyarados, then got 3 more rock slide flinches on my Mimikyu in a row. I use shadow sneak before it dies.
garchomps outrage takes it out then a lycanrock midnight form comes out. survives on 1 hp and uses counter. GG Battle Tree. GG!!
wasn't even up to battle 20 on super singles. and it wasn't a choice scarf aerodacytl since it used skydrop on garchomp.
Lycanroc-Midnight is surprisingly bulky.
252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lycanroc-Midnight: 169-200 (88 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
That's with an Adamant Lycanroc. Not sure what the tree set is.

Flinch is why I like to run a Scarf and a Pokémon with a good priority move. I might change up my team though because I don't really want to do it with Dragonite, Aegislash and Tapu Fini. The team works well, but I want to try to do it with some of my favorites. Not sure what team I will end up with yet.

Does anybody know if the AI gets smart to Magic Bounce or Magic Guard? Or if they keep spamming status at you?

Last edited:
Lycanroc-Midnight is surprisingly bulky.
252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lycanroc-Midnight: 169-200 (88 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
That's with an Adamant Lycanroc. Not sure what the tree set is.

Flinch is why I like to run a Scarf and a Pokémon with a good priority move. I might change up my team though because I don't really want to do it with Dragonite, Aegislash and Tapu Fini. The team works well, but I want to try to do it with some of my favorites. Not sure what team I will end up with yet.

Does anybody know if the AI gets smart to Magic Bounce or Magic Guard? Or if they keep spamming status at you?
I have the data for the Battle Tree enemies and I noticed DK Quagmire fought a HP/SpD Sashed Midnight Lycanroc since it's the only one that has Counter. Yeah, that wolf is extremely Bulky. It can be a Mid-Class Special wall if it was sent out in a Sandstorm. What's funny with this Lycanroc is that it's Calm so Max HP and SpD.

I finally completed what I consider to be the most bullshit battle facility since Emerald factory, the Multi Battles. Granted, you COULD team up with someone to do it, but that's practically cheating. For my partner I had Kiawe who led with Salazzle-4 and had a Kangaskhan-3 in his backline. I used this pair

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure (Unnerve is currently illegal)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Rock Slide
Sky Drop
Protect
Taunt (can substitute for coverage depending on what partner you have)

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
Shadow Ball
Shadow Sneak
King's Shield
Sacred Sword

The Aerodactyl lead was key for me because it allowed me to actually force his Salazzle and Kangaskhan to attack the things I needed him to, provided the pokemon I wanted to remove the possibility of him attacking was light enough for sky drop. You do have to be careful on the lift turn though because you can eat their attacks, but sometimes that's desirable (preventing Salazzle from using an overheat to finish off something on low HP). Focus sash was kind of suboptimal on Dactyl because Salazzle always breaks it with Sludge Wave but I felt I needed it for Jolteon, since if it won a speed tie it'd OHKO every time. I tried all kinds of shit but this was what finally won it for me, it took two losses with this lineup in the 40s' before Kiawe finally cooperated (it was always HIS terrible decisions killing me, not the enemy AI evasion/crits). It took me probably 20 hours of play to finally get this finished.

Another interesting pokemon I tried, that carried me to a streak in the 40s was Kommo-o. Clanging Scales is basically a 20 less BP split attack Draco Meteor with 100acc that lowers defense instead of SpA. Very good move in doubles, it's a shame that only Kommo-o gets it, it'd be filthy on Hydriegon or Kingdra. Have to watch out for Soundproof users but most of them are weak to focus blast.

Kommo-o @ Wide Lens
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
Rock Polish
Clanging Scales
Focus Blast
Flash Cannon (can sub for protect, partner permitting)

Solid bulk, after one polish it outspeeds everything except Megazam (52 speed EVs will get you that outspeed IIRC) and even without a way to boost special attack will 2HKO most of the meta. Paired with another fast split attacker it could be pretty good on an offense team, especially if you use one with a FO to create the space for its rock polish.

I updated my doubles team from earlier after realizing that I get swept by Scarf fire types. Here's the new team:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Discharge
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Oranguru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Instruct
- Taunt
- Psychic
- Nature Power

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick
- Protect

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw

I stuck strong with Scarf Oranguru and replaced Mega Lucario with Mega Salamence for the ground immunity and fire resistance. They both hit as hard with the main STABs, but with Mence being faster I was able to speed up Oranguru to tie with +115s. I sometimes missed having a strong priority move, but it never came close to costing me a match. Tapu Koko added Thunderbolt instead of Sky Drop. That gave me some firepower against tough threats and also freed up Oranguru to use Psychic more often against some ground types and electric resists. Pheromosa added Protect since it gets double targeted often and to allow Koko and Mence to use their respective spread moves safely.

The team seemed really solid and took me to 52 and 65 wins, and they both ended in the exact same way: Excadrill3.

Excadrill3 shrugs off everything from both of my leads, then sets up a Sandstorm. The Sandstorm made Pheromosa's sash useless and it made Excadrill outspeed my entire team. I have nothing that can OHKO it and got a flinch with Rock Slide in both losses which allowed its partner to finish off Salamence and Pheromosa. That is the only Pokemon that gave my any trouble on my runs and it obliterated me each time. I don't really know how to improve the team from here so I might put the doubles tree on hold until I can transfer my Mega Sceptile from ORAS.

I call this set Turn and Heel, and its carried me to streaks of 54 and 46 so far.

Blitzkrieg (Pheromosa) @ Wide Lens

Ability: Beast Boost (Atk)

Naughty Nature

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

IVs: 31 / 23 / 26 / 31 / 15 / 31

- High Jump Kick
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Lunge

Bastion (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge

Ability: Regenerator

Calm Nature

EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD

IVs: 31 / 22 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic

Juggernaut (Celesteela) @ Leftovers

Ability: Beast Boost (SpD)

Sassy Nature

EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD

IVs: 20 / 31 / 28 / 31 / 31 / 22

- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
The main strategy with this stat is to 1-shot anything that takes a SE STAB hit from Phero, which is honestly quite a lot, and from there potentially snowball without having to swap. Otherwise I U-turn on anything I know I can't 1-shot and let Toxapex and Celesteela double up on what's left. If they get walled, I sack the less useful one and bring in Phero again to finish off the offender. Celesteela covers all of Toxapex weaknesses (and vice versa) bar Electric and can stall out EQ, while doing a surprising amount of damage with Heavy Slam (STAB + heaviest pokemon in the game). Toxapex explains itself, very common set that has been very reliable.

First obvious point is that if Pheromosa goes down I get destroyed by electrics, I've been able to switch stall occasionally but my streak has been ended twice by a Raikou. IMO Pheromosa with pseudo-Moxie is more useful in battle tree as it outspeeds pretty much everything bar Accelgor already and its use for me is to 1-shot or U-turn. I take Wide Lens over Life Orb as HJK and (sometimes) Lunge 1HKO's anything that's SE, and in Battle Tree I want the best odds possible on a glass cannon. Second issue is my EV spreads are mostly just tinkering with what I've faced so far, and I'm sure they could be optimized a lot more. I used to run Celesteela with Flamethrower but the idea is with EQ I might be able to KO an electric in case Phero goes down, while still having coverage against Steels. This means I lose the ability to quickly drop bulky Grass types, but they've always been easy to beat with Tox/Steela switching even with Toxic/Leech Seed Immunities (Scald has much better burn rate than Flamethrower anyway).

My biggest issue right now is what to run 4th slot for Pheromosa, as I've found Ice Beam is unlikely to drop the likes of tanky Garchomp and Dragonite, so it seems rather pointless unless it's used later in the battle when the tanks have worn something down. However I have no idea what else I could put there, maybe Poison Jab? Other than that I just need to practice matchups more and know when I NEED Pheromosa to stay alive for later, and when I can use it as a nuke and let the other 2 finish off. That and get bottlecapped and better EV spreads.

I finally completed what I consider to be the most bullshit battle facility since Emerald factory, the Multi Battles. Granted, you COULD team up with someone to do it, but that's practically cheating. For my partner I had Kiawe who led with Salazzle-4 and had a Kangaskhan-3 in his backline. I used this pair

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure (Unnerve is currently illegal)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Rock Slide
Sky Drop
Protect
Taunt (can substitute for coverage depending on what partner you have)

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
Shadow Ball
Shadow Sneak
King's Shield
Sacred Sword

The Aerodactyl lead was key for me because it allowed me to actually force his Salazzle and Kangaskhan to attack the things I needed him to, provided the pokemon I wanted to remove the possibility of him attacking was light enough for sky drop. You do have to be careful on the lift turn though because you can eat their attacks, but sometimes that's desirable (preventing Salazzle from using an overheat to finish off something on low HP). Focus sash was kind of suboptimal on Dactyl because Salazzle always breaks it with Sludge Wave but I felt I needed it for Jolteon, since if it won a speed tie it'd OHKO every time. I tried all kinds of shit but this was what finally won it for me, it took two losses with this lineup in the 40s' before Kiawe finally cooperated (it was always HIS terrible decisions killing me, not the enemy AI evasion/crits). It took me probably 20 hours of play to finally get this finished.
I've scouted Kiawe too he has a lead Gale Wings Talonflame, on my game with Brave Bird, Flareblitz, swords dance and quick attack with Sitrus berry. And a Mega Kanga with Fake Out, Facade, Sucker Punch and Rock slide.
I thought it was really cool, until an NPC Lapras dropped a Thunder on it. Paralysed it, and used confuse ray on it, and kanga hit its self in confusion and caused me to loose the game, after less than 10 wins. still pretty fun this whole scout thing.

I have Cynthia scouted with a mega Lucario and a youngster with the most anoying Araquanid i ever laid eyes on.
This Araquanid had the moves Aqua Ring, Stockpile, Double team and Toxic. not sure how I won that game after a plus 6 evasion boost. however on the scout menu, the amazing Araquanid is gone! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

How Do you guys deal with double team users?
For my team at least I rely on Haze on Toxapex. Added bonus for this is if I get a Toxic off the AI usually wants to keep boosting and so KO's itself for free. That Araquanid with Aqua Ring/Stockpile/Doubleteam/Toxic gets absolutely walled by Toxapex, it's a free KO. Minimize users also get destroyed by Celesteela's Heavy Slam as an added bonus.

I'd recommend having something with at least Haze or Taunt.

I know I'm late to the 50 club, but you guys accept late entries right?

I got to 50 with Dragonite/Scizor-M/Toxapex team, sets below.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant
EVs: 52 HP/ 252 ATK/ 12 DEF/ 4 SP.DEF/ 188 SPE
-Dragon Dance
-Roost
-Outrage
-Earthquake

The standard bulky Dragonite sets, sets up and breaks through stuff.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 ATK/ 4 SPE
-Roost
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break

I originally ran Aegislash in this slot but I didnt like stacking EQ weaknesses with Toxapex. Also it gets reliable recovery and doesn't get screwed by weird AI decisions with protect and status. Switches in to stuff DNite doesn't deal with.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Relaxed
EVs: 252HP/252DEF/4SP.DEF
-Scald
-Haze
-Toxic
-Recover

This thing is like what it's based off. Like a starfish, it's incredibly hard to kill. Out walls any wall due to inability to be toxic poisoned. It can Haze down setup sweepers that try to setup, burn physical attackers, poison walls that never misses cuz it's a poison type.

Now on to doubles!

Last edited:
Welp, just made an account on here, been lurking since X/Y and ORAS Maison (got all trophies on both) but was honestly a bit intimidated when it came to posting on here, friend convinced me otherwise lol. ANYHOW, I was wondering if I could get some help with this Pokemon team:

Porygon-Z@ Normalizium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EV: 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Conversion

Originally had this guy with Tapu Koko for insanely powerful adaptability Thunderbolts, but I kept getting destroyed by bulky ground types (probably can make it work, but couldn't find a nice partner for them). I really like how often the AI just lets me Z-Conversion, given the sheer number of fighting type Pokemon and attacks thrown at me turn one, which just don't affect me after said Z-Conversion and proceed to get one shot via Shadow Ball.
Haven't really found an ideal EV spread yet, so help with that would be appreciated.

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast boost
EV: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Ice

Needless to say this thing sweeps often due to its sheer speed and power. Used to have Tapu Koko here, but there where certain things it just wouldn't hit hard enough to defeat. If it isn't a ground type, I usually kill if after a beat boost.

Kartana @ Focus Sash
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Psycho Cut

Mainly here to get rid of any special walls and often sweeps after a Beast Boost. Wouldn't mind swapping it out for something that reliably can take hits and kill normal types though.

This was mainly a team I put together to get BP quickly to try out other sets (had a sash on Xurkitree and a Life Orb on Kartana before I got the Scarf). I still would like to try out z-conversion ghost porygon though, and any help with its teammates would be appreciated.

EDIT: Got to 50!
Battle video: KGEW-WWWW-WWW3-WXXW

(God this shows why I REALLY need a better EV spread for Porygon, though I don't think he could've outspeed in this case)

Only changed 2 things on the above team, I gave Xerkutree the Focus Sash cuz most things it outspeed weren't really a problem for my team anyhow, and I often found myself wishing I could use another move after a beast boost when it had a choice scarf. Then I just gave my Kartana a life orb, and even then it had plenty of natural physical bulk to take a surprising amount of hits.

Last edited:
Sorry folks for being late to the party on this whole Koro Sensei thing. Thankfully, Codraroll took care of it, but I'm a little bit miffed, as we don't normally have difficulties with people attacking other members here. Don't lie, don't cheat, and keep things civil. If making dubious claims, be sure to give lots of evidence concerning your streak. All of this should be pretty basic. The vast majority of people are already good on this, so frustrating to even have to post a reminder.

In happier news, I'm actually close to being able to start building tree teams. My playthrough of the main game has been slow, but I'm almost done. Also, I'm thrilled about being able to essentially transmute 150 festival points (100 if you couple it with a plaza level up) into a bottle cap by adding a VIP's level 2 lottery for 100 coins, grabbing the automatic first draw bottle cap, replacing the lottery with a random level 1 facility for 50 festival points, and then repeating. While it means that bottle caps still can't be used completely freely, it makes them common enough I don't need to feel guilty about using them on a pre-bank team.
If there is anything you want bred, let me know.

I've finally almost finished getting 5IV parents with egg moves in beast balls of all the pokemon I want to have. Each time I am almost there, I acquire more beast ball pokemon. I suppose eventually that has to end...right?

Hey all, been lurking for a while and decided to post now that I finally have something to contribute.

Scraped together a doubles team that made it to 55 or 56, then lost to thunder wave/blizzard spam:

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
EV: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash

Nihilego @ Life Orb
EV: 252 Spa / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Ability: Emergency Exit
EV: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Atk
Nature: Adamant
- Leech Life
- Sucker Punch
- Aqua Jet
- First Impression

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EV: 252 Spa / 4 HP / 252 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Pretty much just a blitzkrieg team. Kartana and Nihilego have good synergy - scarfed Kartana is a great battle tree mon as it reliably outspeeds anything without priority, Nihilego outspeeds at least one of two leads and can sludge wave without hurting Kartana, and the two beasts generally do a good job covering each other's weaknesses. If one of them gets a kill on turn 1 without dying, the match usually snowballs from there. Hydreigon can absorb fire and earth attacks, otherwise, Golisopod is the go-to pivot - unless you're sending him to his death, you want him to be your first switch in so that you can get more value out of Emergency Exit and First Impression.

This team has some holes in it - mainly that status can ruin it, and it has a couple double weaknesses (ice and fighting). Mega mawile would probably run right through it, and it ultimately lost to paralyze + blizzard spam. Still got the job done for getting the 50 wins trophy.

A couple changes I will probably make if I run this team again...
1) Run dazzling gleam over T-bolt on Nihilego. T-bolt didn't see much use given that power gem covers flying and Kartana's leaf blade covers water.
2) Cut draco meteor from Hydreigon and probably run surf instead. I don't think it ever actually came in handy securing a match and it nearly cost me the run when it missed at a critical moment.
3) Hydreigon is generally in a weird spot on this team and didn't see tons of use; its role seems to be mostly a flamethrower-user that is immune to ground. Maybe talonflame would be a stronger choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 15)