Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Just hit 50, love tapu fini in the battle tree, great set-up mon with the ability to shutdown status. My favourite way of sweeping is switching to fini and then setting up mence. Thinking of going terrain extender for the resist. Leftovers is nice though, especially with sub.

Kartana @ Focus sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpDef/252 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Psycho Boost
- Sacred Sword

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 8 HP/252 Atk/248 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Double Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Terrain
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Att/252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Terrain expander is much worse than having Leftovers on Fini IMO. On a side note, flying types don't get protected by Misty Terrain, pretty much like Grassy Terrain mechanics. It would be really nice to get some Swagger boosts for free on Mence since the AI keeps spamming them regardless the current Terrain. Status is a different story as AI doesn't use them but I've poisoned or paralyzed the turn immediately after Misty Terrain disappears which often catches me by surprise.

Terrain expander is much worse than having Leftovers on Fini IMO. On a side note, flying types don't get protected by Misty Terrain, pretty much like Grassy Terrain mechanics. It would be really nice to get some Swagger boosts for free on Mence since the AI keeps spamming them regardless the current Terrain. Status is a different story as AI doesn't use them but I've poisoned or paralyzed the turn immediately after Misty Terrain disappears which often catches me by surprise.
Really? Damn then guess I got lucky all those times I thought I was status proof. My biggest fear is always a burn on mence from the repeated fire moves he eats and sets up on and don't know how to combat it. If it's a fire type without a grass move, I'd just set up fini. I guess I'll just stick with lefties then for now. Curious to see how far I can go.

I'm currently at a 120 streak using HeadsILoseTailsYouWin team, except my Tapu Fini isn't Modest. Sash Pheromosa is also pretty good, I used max attack and speed with HJK/Lunge/PJab/IceBeam. Ice Beam is super good, it gets those pesky Nidokings/Trevenants.

Currently at around 45 with a Dragonite/Mimikyu/Toxapex team. Mimikyu is definitely the least used one, thinking of switching it out but not sure for what yet. Maybe a special attacker like Tapu Fini.

Dragonite @ Lum
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Sp/ 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Outrage

I've noticed that roost is rarely used. Usually just against hyper beam or Slaking. Might even consider another move. Some bad opponents leads are(Some are just bad because I'm new to battle tree and stayed in like an idiot):
Gardevoir3: Trace multiscale, dazzling gleam easily 2HKO. Can't switch to Toxapex either due to Psychic AND lum..
Staraptor1: Most surprising one. Spams Endeavor, then quick attack after sash.
Articuno2: Icebeam -> ice shard 2HKO.
Blissey3: Didn't expect it but icebeam 2HKOs. +1 Outrage does not 1HKO it.
Ferrothorn1: Wasn't a lead but my dragonite was dead. Had to PP stall it out. Good thing it paralysed my toxapex for PP efficiency
Espeon4: Dazzling Gleam/Psychic. Can't switch to toxapex either. Gotta waste Mimikyu's disguise or let something die.
Alolan Ninetails2: Hail, Dazzling Gleam, Ice shard. Freeze dry for super effective on Toxapex too. Only encountered once. Switched Toxapex into it, misclicked toxic, somehow survived 3 freeze-dry hits with a good damage roll and 1 hp to recover. Not recommended.
Blaziken4: I used DD and got hit by stone edge, then remembered speed boost....

Some surprisingly OK opponents are:
Goodra, Dragonite, most dragons. Easily survive most non-stab icebeams or dragon pulse or dragon rush, DD up, and kill. Goodra blizzard doesn't OHKO.

Toxapex@ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/ 156 D/ 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic
- Scald

Probably used about as much as dragonite. Walls basically everything except Thunderbolt or Psychic. Then just toxic and recover. Not much to say. Would definitely recommend.

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Sp/ 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
Basically unused. Can't comment too much on it. Gonna switch it out when I can.

Recommendations for something that's resistant to these psychic types?

I prefer adamant Dragonite with fire puch instead of roost, try playing around with that

Really? Damn then guess I got lucky all those times I thought I was status proof. My biggest fear is always a burn on mence from the repeated fire moves he eats and sets up on and don't know how to combat it. If it's a fire type without a grass move, I'd just set up fini. I guess I'll just stick with lefties then for now. Curious to see how far I can go.
I am running a similar team but it has bulkier sets. Fini and Mence have a relativelly good synergy (except for Electric types maybe) and initially thought that Misty Terrain could provide even more support... BTW, how do you deal with relatively bulky electric types? (namely Zapdos and Thundurus). I'm also curious to test a Kartana, although I haven't one yet...

I initially thought Fini was just a poor man's Suicune but I am quickly changing my opinion.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
After a day's worth of struggling I finally hit 50 wins in Super Multi, getting me the last stamp on the passport since I already went through the struggle of grinding the Poke Finder. Probably my least favorite of the challenges but that tends to happen when you lose 3 different 40+ streaks. I eventually won with a standard DD Mega Salamence and Scarf Tapu Lele with Aether Foundation Luke as my teammate (Mega Metagross and Toucannon). Mega Metagross is such an excellent teammate and thankfully the AI knows when Bullet Punch is a guaranteed KO, makes dealing with the non Sashed Weaviles way easier since it'll always Bullet Punch them on sight. Toucannon was usually bad and I could rarely rely on it, but it was very nice for when the AI read Ground or Ghost moves from the previous turn and switched Metagross into it. The 252 HP / 252 Def Impish spread also made it a decently bulky partner and was nice for getting burns while spamming Beak Blast and getting chip damage from Rocky Helmet. If this was an Electric-type things would've been way less of a pain but oh well.

If I get a better teammate later when I continue Singles I might consider coming back to it but for now I'm done with Multi. Now I have to decide between AV Magnezone or Leftovers Aegislash for a teammate to Mega Salamence and Scarf Tapu Lele.

Just got my first 50 win streak today! My team seemed pretty balanced enough to climb the ladder. I didn't want to use any UBs or Tapus (I haven't captured them yet), so I put these guys together.

A-Ninetales @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252HP/4SPA/252SPE
Timid Nature
-Blizzard
-Moonblast
-Safeguard
-Aurora Veil

Flygon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252ATK/4DEF/252SPE
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Dance
-Stone Edge

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252HP/252DEF/4SPDEF
Bold Nature
-Scald
-Toxic
-Haze
-Recover

I haven't done the post 50 streak battles. Are there any particular matchups I should be weary about?

EDIT: Went back a few pages and saw you use Adamant Koko and no Roost on Dragonite. Guess you were screwed either way. You still would have won if you used your STAB move with Koko to KO the Aerodactyl on the switch, but it's hard to say you should have done that knowing Salazzle is faster than Koko.

Random, but Choice Scarf Modest Fini is faster than Aerodactyl and OHKO's with Surf, and I think it would have swept all 3 Pokemon for you in that situation.
TBH that was a mistake in hindsight. I was just too lazy to check up Salazzles speed so I just went for the quick attack. I had actually switched to Jolly a while back as well, so speed was not an issue. If I went for Wild Charge I'm sure I would have been successful. At the end of the day though, it still depends on Salazzle poisoning Dragonite twice in a row. Otherwise I'd be stuck with Dragonite vs Aero which would turn into Aero vs Koko or Fini. Either situation isn't ideal since there's a 50% chance Aerodactyl goes first and I need Fini to KO hippowdon.

I figure now is an appropriate time to, essentially, restate my statement from early in this thread:

If there is a certain pokemon you would like bred, it is entirely likely I have already done so and can provide it for you. The reasons for this are:

1) I have quite a few. I've already put 150 hours into my Pokemon Moon version game.
2) I can use the ones I have to get the ones I don't since I have 35+ 5IV breeds with HA and Egg Moves in beast balls. I've spent a lot of time putting up excess breedjects on the GTS and being bombarded with the pokemon I ask for.
3) I consider myself a relatively kind person and this community, in general, is incredibly supportive of everyone's attempts to theorycraft and create impressive win streaks. I am no exception.

So, if you have a strategy, and it calls for something specific and relatively difficult, it never hurts to ask if anyone can help instead of dismissing it outright as too long to be worth it. In the grand scheme of things, the few hours it would take is *nothing* compared to the length of some of those mammoth streaks from ORAS.

Given the suspected increase in difficulty and ever increasing numbers of matchups and threats, the theorycrafting will likely be more encompassing and difficult than before. So everyone's experiences and thoughts are helpful for generating the best team synergies in the most expeditious way possible.

Anyway, carry on! Please don't hesitate to ask for anything. It will always be worth my time.
As a reminder for anyone looking for things, this is still in effect. I am working hard and my play time is out of control.

I even made a thread, mostly so people can see what I can make for them. If you have any deviations from the list(personality, egg moves, etc.), let me know. Should be doable.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mkls-beast-ball-breeding-bonanza.3589887/

I've been working on Battle Tree Singles and I've made it to 40, does anyone have recommendations on how I could improve this team? Moves/items/etc. I would really like to hit 50 soon.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Flash Cannon

Hey y'all, look what I made:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...jIy3OYCozo1kvrHC8Er3ddXJvw/edit#gid=593914963

Now you can search up a Battle Tree trainer by name and it will show you full detail about his/her roster. The only info missing is Trainer Class (not that important) and IVs- which for now, there is a field for you to guess a value.

Thanks to TRE. This was built off of his spreadsheet. For some missing formes (like Landorus and Gourgeist), I just assumed the default.

NoCheese Edit: Since it's kind of hidden, scroll right on the spreadsheet to see how to use it. You'll need to download it or save a copy.
Hi there,

I'd like to report a minor error. For Aether Foundation Luke, #411 Bastiodon ability should be Sturdy / Soundproof, not Shed Skin / Overcoat.

Last edited:
I am running a similar team but it has bulkier sets. Fini and Mence have a relativelly good synergy (except for Electric types maybe) and initially thought that Misty Terrain could provide even more support... BTW, how do you deal with relatively bulky electric types? (namely Zapdos and Thundurus). I'm also curious to test a Kartana, although I haven't one yet...

I initially thought Fini was just a poor man's Suicune but I am quickly changing my opinion.
Well Psycho Cut is about a 2HKO on Thundurus if it isn't running a sitrus berry, I haven't faced a zapdos yet and am hoping one of my two mons are set-up but if it's a bulky variant, I'm sure mence can roost setup on it and if it's offensive, Kartana should be able to 2hko but I haven't done the calcs and don't know the EV spreads sets (I don't look at trainer sets, too tedious and takes the fun out of it initially, maybe ill do it one day or another). I half suspect those threats will be the reason for the end of my run. I thought of running Ice beam but Substitute is too good to pass up on!

Edit: lost at 56 to megamence. Some bad switches and abit of dragon rush flinch hax.

I've been working on Battle Tree Singles and I've made it to 40, does anyone have recommendations on how I could improve this team? Moves/items/etc. I would really like to hit 50 soon.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Flash Cannon
Find a replacement for Focus Blast on Zam or perhaps change him altogether. Having 2 ghost type weaknesses can't be good. Perhaps Tapu koko with a sash? Or any Tapu really, that would complete the Steel-Dragon-Fairy Core. Switch Fire Fang to Iron Head on Chomp though that is really personal preference, I don't run anything less than 100% accuracy these ffacilities, if I do, I run wide lens. It would be counter intuitive to run a lens on chomp so just change the move. Aegislash Sword Dance set has done wonders in the mansion, maybe going physical on him will yeild results cause +6 Shadow sneak is scary.

Last edited:
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 60 Atk / 28 Def / 52 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance
That spread looks interesting, what are the offensive/defensive benchmarks that are achieved with that spread? trying to figure out optimising EV spreads now after losing at 105...

That spread looks interesting, what are the offensive/defensive benchmarks that are achieved with that spread? trying to figure out optimising EV spreads now after losing at 105...
I took the spread from NB a few days ago so I can't tell you exactly what it does.

It's optimized for the VGC Meta (Sitrus Berry) and had a lot of interesting benchmarks. I tried it on the Battle Tree with the Gyaradosite and it worked very well.

Been doing super multi with Wally using his scarf Garchomp and Mega Gallade. I'm using:

Vikavolt w/ assault vest
Modest 252 Spatk/252speed/4 def
Energy ball
Bug buzz
Volt switch
Thunderbolt

Mimikyu w/ Fairium z
Jolly 252 atk/ 252 speed / 4 def
Swords dance
Shadow sneak
Shadow claw
Play rough

Vikavolt is super tanky and levitate works great with Garchomp spamming earthquake but I could use a replacement for Mimikyu. Any suggestions are appriciated.

Does anyone knows if there is some textfile or something with trainer name but in another language ?

Well I got to 72 on super singles and lost due to a HILARIOUS oversight on my end, well, and greed XD (tried setting up on an Alolan Sandslash with my Mega Slowbro, then learned the hard way how EXTREMLELY hard an ice ball hits on the fifth hit after a defense curl).
I was wondering if this team could be optimized in any sort of way:

Porygon-Z@ Normalizium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EV: 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Conversion

Used to have Signal Beam to handle dark types instead of Tri Attack, but Z-Tri Attack has saved me from MANY mons that'd usually wall me.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Oblivious
EV: 252 HP / 126 Def / 126 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

There is a surprising amount of things this thing can set up on, and is a nice counter for trick room teams. Chose to have Oblivious in case i knew something had Taunt, but might change to own tempo, lotsa confusion hax going on lol. I was thinking of maybe swapping out Psyshock for a defense boosting move, given that Kartana handles any Pokemon with Water Absorb/Storm Drain pretty reliably, but sadly Iron Defense isn't legal yet and would have to opt for Withdraw.

Kartana @ Focus Sash
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Psycho Cut

Mainly here to get rid of any special walls and often sweeps after a Beast Boost.

Yeah! I just beat Blue in Super Doubles! The first attempt against him was a horrible failure but the second time, the battle was incredibly easy!
I used the team by Fanadict, with one little change: I took away the Choice Scarf from Xurkitree because I hate the choice items. Thank you
very much again for this really great team!

Here's the code: 8C8G-WWWW-WWW3-4M29

Now I have to do Multis... I don't like that kind of battle. Do you have any nice suggestions for me?

Now I have to do Multis... I don't like that kind of battle. Do you have any nice suggestions for me?
I've found building around some sort of weather to be rather effective. Also, from reading stuff and from my own experience, M-Metagross with bullet punch makes for a great AI mon. Colress has one, and I know one of the Aether employees does as well.

I haven't gotten past 32 in Super Multis, but I got that far with a rain/grassy terrain team.

Well I got to 72 on super singles and lost due to a HILARIOUS oversight on my end, well, and greed XD (tried setting up on an Alolan Sandslash with my Mega Slowbro, then learned the hard way how EXTREMLELY hard an ice ball hits on the fifth hit after a defense curl).
How did that battle actually play out? Something would have had to finish Slowbro off afterward, because even a 960 base power Ice Ball from AS2 inflicts less than 30% to a Mega Slowbro with your spread. You easily would have tanked all five hits and been able to Slack Off the damage and then mercy killed the fuck with Scald.

I'd like to see the replay, if you saved it, just to see what could have gotten the best of a Slowbro that jacked up.

Well, got to a streak of 112 in Doubles. I lost because my Trick Room wore off at the worst possible turn, and unavailable Pokemon (and Megas) are OP. Turns out in the absence of VGC17 restrictions, this team doesn't fare too well in the Battle Tree :\

Veteran Dooley- iirc he used the Extremespeed Dragonite and Mega Charizard X, who managed to set up two Dragon Dances before my Trick Room faded.

Had everything been out, I'd be running a Mega Abomasnow with Blizzard or a Mega Mawile instead of Marowak. Fingers crossed on a Mega Stone distribution coinciding with S/M Bank.

Oranguru @ Lum Berry
Ability: Telepathy
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs:0 Spe
- Protect
- Instruct
- Psychic
- Trick Room

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Earthquake
- Protect

Buzzwole @ Fightinium
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hammer Arm
- Leech Life
- Rock Slide
- Protect

(I started using this team starting from Battle 101. The prior battles were with my Nihilego, Kartana, Greninja (BB) and Mega Salamence team, which had a gaping weakness to Scientists' teams.)

Btw, if anyone has been compiling a full list of Trainer Classes, let me know. You can see in my guide (linked in the main post) my guesses and observations on the "Tree Trainers." I've put question marks (?) next to each entry that I guessed on (based on the Trainers' quotes, teams, and index number of other known trainers).

How did that battle actually play out? Something would have had to finish Slowbro off afterward, because even a 960 base power Ice Ball from AS2 inflicts less than 30% to a Mega Slowbro with your spread. You easily would have tanked all five hits and been able to Slack Off the damage and then mercy killed the fuck with Scald.

I'd like to see the replay, if you saved it, just to see what could have gotten the best of a Slowbro that jacked up.
I sadly didn't save it, and I'm still baffled by the damage output too. I really just switched my porygon to slowbro as it Defense curled, and it simply kept going for ice ball. One interesting thing was that I don't think it ever missed, and the first defense curl must've applied to all following Ice balls, (it didn't stop at 5, he used it again and they didn't miss -_-;). It really did feel as though said ice ball buff wasn't the only thing going on in the battle, my guess is that it was holding a Metronome lol. I got greedy when it did about 60% hp and didn't slack off ^^;

My apologies, as I made a retarded oversight when doing the damage calc. I didn't expect turskain's calc to bump the level to 100 when inputting a blank set, so I initially ignored it.

As it turns out, Defense Curled Ice Ball from AS1 (not AS2, my bad) is capable of OHKOing your Slowbro spread. Even if you had healed before then you were probably fucked.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)