Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey everyone, just wanted to inform everyone that, branching off of some Discord discussion on Gen I TM and Dream World-exclusive moves on potentially viable sets, I have created a Hyper-Trained Adamant Sheer Force Rock Climb Tauros for use. das_eisenherz has taken possession of it and added it to Eisen's Battle-Ready Frenzy (and by extension, Eisen's Monthly Battle Ready Freebie). Check it out at this post, ask for it or trade for it, see if it helps you out at the Tree!

Once I get at least one Tree stamp, I will ask if there would be any interest in giving another Dream World capture of mine, my Adamant Morning Sun Solrock, the same treatment. If there is enough demand to test that out, I will get to work on it in the near future.

I just got a streak of 94 on super doubles, with the following team:

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Togedemaru @ Air Baloon
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Zing Zap
- Fake Out
- Nuzzle

Garchomp @ Life Orc (NoCheese edit: "Life Orc" is a clear typo, but one that makes me smile, so I'm leaving it!!)
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball

Gyarados and Togedemaru were the leads. The later would use Fake Out on turn 1, while Gyarados uses Dragon Dance, and then I move according to what happen. Garchomp and Lele are back up killers. Now, this team has quite many weaknesses. Trick Room is a big problem, and Gyarados is surprisingly weak even after the dragon dance, and Togedemaru many times can't do anything besides using spiky shield every other turn. The Gyarados + Lightning Rod + Fake Out + Dragon Dance strategy works really well, though, and it gave me free turns every battle an enemy had electric attacks. If someone has suggestions about how to improve the team, specially the back ups, then I'm open to them.

I lost at battle 95 against Dragonite + Golisopode + Incineroar + Vanilluxe. For some reason, I'm not being able to upload the battle video, but I'll decribe how I lost. The opponent started with Dnite and Golisopode. I fake outed the Dnite expecting to break the multiscale, but it had inner focus instead, it used fire punch on togedemaru and the golisopode used rock slide. After 2 turns, it weakened Gyarados enough for Dnite to finish him with extremespeed the following turn, after a incineroar had replaced the golisopode. After my leads died, only lele and garchomp were left. The incineroar got a quick claw trigger and one shot lele with flare blitz. Garchomp killed the Dnite, but then Vanillune appeared and finished him.

interesting to choose a togedemaru with lightning rod but why not a stronger pokemon with lighning rod? in platinum battle tower doubles i used some crappy lightning rod rhyperior with gyarados but worked surprisingly well especially since EQ and water/flying worked together

Love the team, Call_Me_Charlie. We can always count on you to put some designated shitmons on the leaderboard in really creative and effective ways. I hope to share in that fun as well!

Breeding has been a mixed bag. Drampa and Dhelmise hatched in their "perfect" TR forms almost immediately while Grimer is about an hour in and just will not fucking pass the 0 speed without losing an important stat (and keeping Power of Alchemy.) The best I could do was 31/31/31/31/30/0 and OCD is having none of it.

interesting to choose a togedemaru with lightning rod but why not a stronger pokemon with lighning rod? in platinum battle tower doubles i used some crappy lightning rod rhyperior with gyarados but worked surprisingly well especially since EQ and water/flying worked together
I'm guessing it's because Togedemaru carries Fake Out which will almost always guarantee a DD for Gyarados. Now that Bank is available, Raichu is another choice for that slot.

Love the team, Call_Me_Charlie. We can always count on you to put some designated shitmons on the leaderboard in really creative and effective ways. I hope to share in that fun as well!

Breeding has been a mixed bag. Drampa and Dhelmise hatched in their "perfect" TR forms almost immediately while Grimer is about an hour in and just will not fucking pass the 0 speed without losing an important stat (and keeping Power of Alchemy.) The best I could do was 31/31/31/31/30/0 and OCD is having none of it.
Thanks man, I always love putting new and niche Pokémon on the board, even if they're Level 1s, as long as they can fill that role. Honestly I had the idea of running Dazzling or Queenly Majesty, which would let me use Fletchling or Murkrow, but neither Bruxish or Tsareena looks like it can do much on its own, and Psychic Terrain is far too valuable. I'm also looking for suggestions on improving my team still as it's far from optimized; I'm fearing the day I run into a lead pair of M-Slowbro + Slowking4, as I can't reliably KO them both in two turns.

I wish you luck in your breeding, or if you'd like, I can breed one for you since I have a TR-dedicated Grimer on hand. (Trust me, that single 30 IV...it doesn't really change anything, but it wasn't good enough for me either. I get you.)

I've seen an AI Togedemaru take an Earthquake from my Relicanth before. It can use Nuzzle to paralyze its opponents much like Pachirisu did in that one VGC tournament.

My rain team may be bad in Singles, but it redeemed itself by unlocking Super Doubles for me. Even Relicanth came in handy with Continental Crush and Waterfall. Assault Vest Lanturn seemed to be the weak link, since it has a lot of trouble with physical blows. Maybe I should breed a Kingdra? Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu gave me my 56/57 (whichever it was) streak in Singles, and it seems to do well in Doubles. Grassy Terrain also benefits its teammates with healing and weakened enemy Earthquakes. I'll have to test the team in Super Doubles soon.

I've seen an AI Togedemaru take an Earthquake from my Relicanth before. It can use Nuzzle to paralyze its opponents much like Pachirisu did in that one VGC tournament.
Are you sure it wasn't Sturdy?

(That being said, Togedemaru is more annoying than the stats suggest, between an immunity to OHKOs, damaging on contact while also knowing Spiky Shield and carrying a Rocky Helmet, and redirection + immunity to Electric-type moves, plus Nuzzle... it's hair-tearing)

Are you sure it wasn't Sturdy?

(That being said, Togedemaru is more annoying than the stats suggest, between an immunity to OHKOs, damaging on contact while also knowing Spiky Shield and carrying a Rocky Helmet, and redirection + immunity to Electric-type moves, plus Nuzzle... it's hair-tearing)

I honestly don't recall. I don't remember seeing Sturdy/Robustez activate, and I think the Battle Tree only records losses or Champion battles. However, Grassy Terrain was not active at the time. (Are Battle Videos translated automatically into the viewer's save file language? I play in Spanish to brush up on vocabulary, so any videos I upload will likely be in that language.)

Looking for some input on what EVs I should run on an Impish Gliscor
I dunno if there are any specific offensive or defensive benchmarks you want to hit, but you probably want either 20, 108, 196, or 220 speed EVs to get into an open speed tier (118, 129, 140, or 143 speed). I'm not sure which of those is optimal. Full HP is definitely the best for Gliscor, whether you have any specific special hits you need to take depends on your team comp really.

I dunno if there are any specific offensive or defensive benchmarks you want to hit, but you probably want either 20, 108, 196, or 220 speed EVs to get into an open speed tier (118, 129, 140, or 143 speed). I'm not sure which of those is optimal. Full HP is definitely the best for Gliscor, whether you have any specific special hits you need to take depends on your team comp really.
Was thinking Mega Scizor, Gliscor, Toxapex

Just figured I'd post that I'm now a member of the exclusive Starf Berry Club. I stole borrowed Makorel 's team idea of Porygon-Z/Mega Gyarados/Kartana with some minor changes. We'll see how far I can take this run.

Died at battle 80 to Sina, thinking I could take down Mandibuzz by focusing it with my starting duo. That was not the case. Then Mega Abomasnow wrecked me.

I used:
Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball

I just used a random Lele from GTS. Scarf seems to be one of the best mons for the tree. Basically you outspeed and nuke.

Kartana @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash
Kartana nukes with high speed as well. It finishes what Lele can't and boosts from there. Fire types target him and get 2hko'd.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Protect for stalling electric mons. It resists fire for Kartana, steel for Lele, and kills ghosts. Intimidate is nice. That's basically the extent of the theory I put into this.

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Outrage
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Somehow despite having base 102 speed he always gets outsped and killed. The tree spams pure ice trainers so Garchomp is often a liability on teams. He does resist poison and fire, which is nice. No earthquake because I have barely any protect or flying.

Any suggestions for something over Garchomp?

Tapu Bulu @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Grassy Surge
Level: 50
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Cradily @ Rockium Z
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Stone Edge
- Seed Bomb
- Curse

I'm planning on doing a grass type run of Super Singles, just for fun, any suggestions for this team? Bulu has terrain extender because with all grass types, that's 8 turns of hitting 1.5 times harder

I've seen quite a few Ice teams in the Battle Tree myself. How are they outspeeding Garchomp? Froslass? Weavile? Slush Rush Sandslash and Beartic? Random Choice Scarf? Or is it the dreaded Quick Claw?

If you really want to stick with Garchomp, I guess there's the Choice Scarf version, but I don't know if that works well in Doubles.

(Typing Pokemon names is annoying with autocorrect. If I ever catch a Beartic, I'm naming it Beatrice!)

Sad that I must post here again so soon, but my Super Singles streak has ended at 236 wins. Here's the team I used (again credit to Makorel for the idea, his team is here: Porygon-Z / Mega Gyarados / Kartana)

The Team:

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Conversion

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate/Mold Breaker
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Speed (I think)
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Kartana @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Swords Dance

The main modification I made to his team was Nasty Plot over HP Ground, because I didn't have an HP Ground Porygon and Nasty Plot is nice to set up against Ground types instead of trying to use Z-Conversion and getting bopped by EQ. Gyarados also has a different spread and Nature, because that's just the Gyarados I happened to have and I didn't want to put too much effort into this. Kartana didn't even have perfect HP or SpDef IVs. Sad!

The Defeat: 4GXG-WWWW-WWW4-S6QL

Kang lead is tough, I don't like switching Gyarados into it because it can't win the 1v1 after the switch if it has Double Edge. After it KOs Porygon, I see that it's Facade and not Double Edge, so I probably should have sent in Gyara to set up on it. Instead, Kartana kills it while losing Sash. Then ScarfChomp bops Kartana with Fire Fang, so I figure it's over since Gyara gets free set up. Except I get burned immediately by Fire Fang. Another mistake here was not setting up to +6, but I overestimated the damage Gyara could do through the burn and I wanted to try and preserve HP. Dragonite comes out, tanks the Crunch, then Outrages for the final KO.

On to Super Doubles!

Last edited:
I've seen quite a few Ice teams in the Battle Tree myself. How are they outspeeding Garchomp? Froslass? Weavile? Slush Rush Sandslash and Beartic? Random Choice Scarf? Or is it the dreaded Quick Claw?

If you really want to stick with Garchomp, I guess there's the Choice Scarf version, but I don't know if that works well in Doubles.

(Typing Pokemon names is annoying with autocorrect. If I ever catch a Beartic, I'm naming it Beatrice!)
Believe it or not I've been smacked by all thse things, as well as draco meteor outspeed -> ohko from latis. I'd love a scarf but Lele is a better nuke and I want dragonium.

Maybe goodra just to spdef tank and dragonium draco meteor?

Just lost my Super Doubles run to a rain team's worst possible foe: Storm Drain Gastrodon! I found out the hard way that Storm Drain also absorbs hits directed at its partner. After I lost, I looked at the Battle Video and found out that El Limpiador Quique (my AI opponent) had a Ferrothorn too! His Rampardos must have been Choice Banded for Rock Slide to hit that hard too.

Trivia: Rock Slide is called Avalancha in Spanish. The move called Avalanche in English becomes Alud.

BKZG-WWWW-WWW4-SDFB is the Battle Video of my loss.

Quick question: is Mega-Kangaskhan better for Battle Tree singles or Mega-Salamence? My streak with M-Kang, Garchomp and Aegislash ended at 46 runs, losing to Tamah's Pory-Z by like 1% of HP -.-" I think I can get to 50 wins sooner or later, but just want opinions on which Mega is better/more viable long run.

Quick question: is Mega-Kangaskhan better for Battle Tree singles or Mega-Salamence? My streak with M-Kang, Garchomp and Aegislash ended at 46 runs, losing to Tamah's Pory-Z by like 1% of HP -.-" I think I can get to 50 wins sooner or later, but just want opinions on which Mega is better/more viable long run.
Salamence was IMO the better choice pre-Bank, but Seismic Toss Mega-Kangaskhan sounds like a good thing to try, 2HKOing everything under 401 HP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)