Battle Tree Discussion and Records

I assume your Salamence is using Substitute? If not, you'll definitely want to get Sub on Chansey, as the Protection from OHKO users and such is big. Chansey not being able to hit Ghost-types is not typically a big issue; with Growl you can PP stall all day.
Yeah Salamence has Substitute. So I take it Confide isn't neccesary?

A piece of advice: Don't use Bulk Up Komala in the Battle Tree. Even with a Careful Nature and Max HP and Special Defense, it still dies to same type attack bonus special attacks. I've seen topics outside of Smogon that recommend Komala because its ability messes with the AI, but it doesn't work with a bulky set at least. Maybe Choice Band could work?

(That, and I'm fond of koalas, so I wanted to try it out. I wish the actual games had "weight classes" like we do at Smogon, even if it would be based on base stat totals or something silly like that.)

Sleep moves are also pretty unreliable this gen, because its turn counter can be too low to set up with Quiver Dances etc. Yes, I'm talking about you, Butterfree!

I had an attempt at a super doubles streak with a mono water team. The idea stems from the battle maispn where I had an ongoing triples streak.

Since bank was released I moved all my stuff over to my moon cart so my triples run is also over. I got in to tripke figures relatively easily in triples but sadly I was halted at 39 wins in super doubles in the tree.

The team is based off of the level 1 aron strategy except I used polish instead.

Here's a summary of the team. It is flawed.

Poliwag @ focus sash
Level 1
Rain dance/protect/scald/endeavour

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Calm 252hp/252def
Trick room/night shade/water apout/recover

Clawitzer @ waterium z
Quiet 252hp/252sp.a
Water pulse/aura sphere/dark pulse /Dragon force

Lapras @ sitrus berry
Calm (can't remember Evs right now)
Ice shard/freeze dry/surf/ancient power

All but clawitzer have water absorb.

I was going to use araquanid over clawitzer but the clawitzer was ready to go and it does have excellent versatility with its move pool so it probably was the right choice.

Lapras and jellicent aren't optimised for trick room and item choices almost certainly could be better. Taunt was an issue and I was surprised how much jellicent was targeted. It wasn't every battle but it was enough. Dark pulse and rock slide flinches made some battles really difficult. Essentially if I couldn't get trick room up I was in for a tough time and that's what eventually happened.

Happy to receive any feedback on the team and obviously no proof of streak because it's a low streak

Any input on a defensive set up Suicune set? Bold nature max def, I assume go HP but are there any threats that I should put investment in speed for?

you could do what I'd do and increase the speed by a point to prevent speed ties. I think those are the most effective ways to use those 4 points, but since you met all your targets I don't think it would change much anyway.
Ordinarily I'd have done this without bringing it up, but given that this Bewear (and almost all of the pokes I've been raising recently) is intended for TR, there was not much reason to be concerned with speed ties. But at least I'm glad to realise the wasted points were inevitable and not just that I simply sucked at math.

Another thing I would like clarified: Is each Pokemon only used by 1 trainer? Or can the same Pokemon build be had by multiple trainers. I ask this after looking up several trainers on Serebii's Battle Trainer catalogue. For example, it'd be lovely to know that Mega Gengar is only ever used by 2 specific trainers

Question on AI mechanics: I know that the AI will switch if they are choice-locked into moves that your Pokemon are immune to (i.e. if they have Scarf Garchomp locked into EQ against a Flying type, they will switch out). If a Ring Target is attached to your Pokemon, will the AI take that into account and then not switch out? Or do they ignore the item?
Reposting this on a new page, and I also have a question about AI using Explosion: Will they just use it whenever it will kill, or is it more random?

Hi,

So, I am trying to find a good build for my gliscor for battle tree singles. I am currently playing with toxapex and mega scizor. The build I have for these two Pokémon are:

Toxapex
Black sludge
Bold
Regenerator

Toxic
Scald
Haze
Recover

Scizor
Scizorite
Adamant

Bullet punch
Sword dance
Brick breaker
Roost

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Reposting this on a new page, and I also have a question about AI using Explosion: Will they just use it whenever it will kill, or is it more random?
I have no clue on the Ring Target. As in the Maison, Explosion use appears to be at least somewhat random. Irksome as it interferes with setting up fully.

Isn't there somewhat of a consensus that the AI likes to explode when the move is their most powerful option at the time, because of the base power? Not only that, the AI would switch in an Explosion user that was technically weaker than another poke in reserve on the team, simply due to none of the latter's moves reaching the BP of Explosion. I want to say it was GG Unit that noticed that, could be wrong. I thought it was someone with a Durant team.

If nothing else, the AI did also seem to like using ineffective spread moves without imminent OHKOs available, and Explosion fit that bill.

Hi,

So, I am trying to find a good build for my gliscor for battle tree singles. I am currently playing with toxapex and mega scizor. The build I have for these two Pokémon are:

Toxapex
Black sludge
Bold
Regenerator

Toxic
Scald
Haze
Recover

Scizor
Scizorite
Adamant

Bullet punch
Sword dance
Brick breaker
Roost
Right off the bat, looking at your team, I definitely think a Gliscor with Poison Heal. In particular, a build similar to the one this guy has in his video:

For those who can't view, the build is:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Nature: Careful
EVs: Depends
Substitute
Protect/Fire Fang/Roost/Taunt
Toxic
Earthquake

Status and OHKO moves are some of the biggest killers in the tree and I notice that team doesn't have a full proof answer to that (Scizor and Toxapex will be immune to Poison and Toxapex can Scald thaw through Freeze but that's it). Hence where Poison Heal Gliscor can come in. Poison Heal kills two birds with 1 stone by giving you protection from status and a form of passive healing that doesn't rely on an item. Protect guarentees you get the Poison off and Sub gives you a fail safe against jank like OHKO moves and stat reduction and is complimented by Poison Heal. Earthquake is a strong STAB to keep you from being complacent and works with Toxic by hitting almost everything immune to it. The last slot is tricky. Protect guarantees you get your Poison. But Roost provides longevity, Fire Fang can get Skarmory and fly/levitators immune to Poison, and Taunt can help you cripple the slow support mons.

Hi,

Toxapex
Black sludge
Bold
Regenerator

Toxic
Scald
Haze
Recover

Scizor
Scizorite
Adamant

Bullet punch
Sword dance
Brick breaker
Roost
After a long time of lurking in this forum today i finaly registert and want to post my streak of 112 in single battles with a team with the same Pokemon.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 140 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

In 25% of the battles i could just set up to +6 and sweep the team with Bullet Punch.
If the lead could have a fire move i simply switcht to toxapex and take the hit.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover

Toxapex is here to take fire moves that should hit scizor and ice move from gliscore and if i can take a few hits toxic stall one or two pokemon.
Haze is a must have to protect yourself for the curse users because they would otherwise sweep my team.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Protect

The best pokemon to stall nearly every pokemon out of PP if they are any problem for my team Like
Virizon-4 because after a SD i couldn´t savely switch to toxapex to use Haze so i would just stall untill it runs out of leaf blades and then switch to toxapex.
And for the last move on gliscor i felt like two pokemon with toxic would be a waste so i picked knock-off but i rather used ist to stall PP than for the damage so any move with decent PP would be ok in this slot.

Toxapex and Gliscor are a great combinatiion against pokemon that have ice and ground move as i can simply switch back from one to the other till there are no PP left.

I know the ev are not nearly optimised and i thinking about giving this team another try with some little changes like a different move on gliscore and some better ev spreads.
I lost due to a realy unfortune streak of full paras aginst Latias-4 the battle Video is:
Q74G-WWWW-WWW5-3MBK

Attachments

Last edited:
Right off the bat, looking at your team, I definitely think a Gliscor with Poison Heal. In particular, a build similar to the one this guy has in his video:

For those who can't view, the build is:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Nature: Careful
EVs: Depends
Substitute
Protect/Fire Fang/Roost/Taunt
Toxic
Earthquake

Status and OHKO moves are some of the biggest killers in the tree and I notice that team doesn't have a full proof answer to that (Scizor and Toxapex will be immune to Poison and Toxapex can Scald thaw through Freeze but that's it). Hence where Poison Heal Gliscor can come in. Poison Heal kills two birds with 1 stone by giving you protection from status and a form of passive healing that doesn't rely on an item. Protect guarentees you get the Poison off and Sub gives you a fail safe against jank like OHKO moves and stat reduction and is complimented by Poison Heal. Earthquake is a strong STAB to keep you from being complacent and works with Toxic by hitting almost everything immune to it. The last slot is tricky. Protect guarantees you get your Poison. But Roost provides longevity, Fire Fang can get Skarmory and fly/levitators immune to Poison, and Taunt can help you cripple the slow support mons.
bank has me really wanting to try out a toxapex/gliscor/x team since gliscor is beautifully immune to 2 of toxapex's 3 weaknesses... maybe a fairy, steel, or dark or aegislash as the 3rd... but im too entranced by oras triples for now. matches over in 3-4 turns instead of switch stalling for days!

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Another thing I would like clarified: Is each Pokemon only used by 1 trainer? Or can the same Pokemon build be had by multiple trainers. I ask this after looking up several trainers on Serebii's Battle Trainer catalogue. For example, it'd be lovely to know that Mega Gengar is only ever used by 2 specific trainers
The same Pokemon can absolutely be used by multiple trainers, and similarly, many trainers can use multiple movesets for the same species. Take a look at the spreadsheets in the OP to confirm which Pokemon a trainer can use. 11 different trainers can use Gengar4, which is holding a Gengarite.

The same Pokemon can absolutely be used by multiple trainers, and similarly, many trainers can use multiple movesets for the same species. Take a look at the spreadsheets in the OP to confirm which Pokemon a trainer can use. 11 different trainers can use Gengar4, which is holding a Gengarite.
Yeah, I ending up finding that out myself after taking on the same Shiinotic between 3 matches.

Moving forward I just got my 50 win streak (and on my 2nd try. Could have been the first I had played safer), but I am starting to question the EVs on my 2 stall mons. Right now I have:

Chansey: 252HP / 252Def/ 4 SpDef
Toxapex: 252HP/ 80Def/ 176 SpDef

I think between them, Toxapex is the real issue. I hoped having Bold would allow me to dump more EVs into SpDef but I am starting to feel like it isn't cutting it. In particular I had a game against Red's Charizard X which I feel was too close because Toxapex couldn't survive an unboosted Dragon Rush after having to take +1 Dragon Rush and hazing (bless that move). Even with little investment, Chansey handles practically all the Special Attackers well enough and I tend to not keep Toxapex on Special attackers unless they're Fighting or I resist their moves. Given that, would my team prosper more if I swapped the investment in Def and SpDef?

Aside from that, the team's been working pretty well. Chansey's Natural Cure, Toxapex's Poison typing and Scald, and Salamence's Sub let me handle status most of the time, I can switch stall comfortably, and I have been able to take on few Megas like Mawile and Kangaskhan already. Here's hoping I can go all the way. (100+ would be sweet.)

Hi,

Toxapex
Black sludge
Bold
Regenerator

Toxic
Scald
Haze
Recover

Scizor
Scizorite
Adamant

Bullet punch
Sword dance
Brick breaker
Roost
I used Dragonite/Mega Scizor/Toxapex to get to 70 wins. I'd suggest replacing brick break with bug bite (gen 6 move tutor move)

Yeah Salamence has Substitute. So I take it Confide isn't neccesary?
Confide is more necessary than Toxic. Toxic KOs nothing Seismic Toss/PP Stalling doesn't already.

Isn't there somewhat of a consensus that the AI likes to explode when the move is their most powerful option at the time, because of the base power? Not only that, the AI would switch in an Explosion user that was technically weaker than another poke in reserve on the team, simply due to none of the latter's moves reaching the BP of Explosion. I want to say it was GG Unit that noticed that, could be wrong. I thought it was someone with a Durant team.

If nothing else, the AI did also seem to like using ineffective spread moves without imminent OHKOs available, and Explosion fit that bill.
Explosion is just weird. There is probably some bias toward using it at low health or when a KO is in range but a large part of why Drapion worked last generation is that something like Skuntank (the only exploder that could OHKO Durant) would repeatedly use Poison Jab and Night Slash and allow Drapion to set up all the way, whereas with Glalie it would often explode before using all of its Fire Blast PP.

Confide is more necessary than Toxic. Toxic KOs nothing Seismic Toss/PP Stalling doesn't already.

Explosion is just weird. There is probably some bias toward using it at low health or when a KO is in range but a large part of why Drapion worked last generation is that something like Skuntank (the only exploder that could OHKO Durant) would repeatedly use Poison Jab and Night Slash and allow Drapion to set up all the way, whereas with Glalie it would often explode before using all of its Fire Blast PP.
So you could say that given I already have a Poison spreading Pokemon, I'd be better off with Softboiled + Growl + Confide + Seismic Toss? Come to think of it, which both Confide and Growl along with Intimidate, it'd be be safer for Toxapex to come in an spread Poison and allow me to go back to Chansey. The only thing that would screw me over are critical hits which really could mess with any team.

Just wanna make a big thank you to all the Battle Legends that have been a part of the Battle Facility records threads for so long. I'm a lowly lurker I suppose, but it's always interesting and a big help to see the strategies and mental fortitude that results in those 1000+ streaks.
My humble goal is usually to just hit 50 in Super Singles in each game, ideally with a different team. I managed to get to 70 with a team that I just kinda put together and is in no way optimal, but it was fun to use:

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
-First Impression
-Leech Life
-Liquidation
-Sucker Punch

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Sp Atk/ 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
-Power Gem
-Sludge Bomb
-Psychic
-Grass Knot

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin (Sand Force)
EVS: 252 Atk /252 Spe /4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Outrage
-Iron Head
-Fire Fang
-Earthquake

All I really wanted to do with this team was put together some mons I liked to farm some BP, never expected them to do as well as they did. Golisopod did a lot of work with First Impression. My experience with Emergency Exit was largely good; most of the time I could bring in Nihilego for free on a weakened opponent, hit hard with Life Orb and score a relatively easy Beast Boost to continue the damage. A couple of times I missed out on a Liquidation that could've scored a KO, but I knew what I was getting into, so that did not frustrate me very much. Nihilego's Psychic and Grass Knot actually came in very handy, letting it handle bulky stuff like M-Venusaur and the heavier Ground types, respectively. Garchomp was mainly there to cover 'Pod and Nihilego's weaknesses. Using standard 'Chomp would've been more advisable due to the speed of course, but I had already used at Jolly Life Orb set in Platinum to get my Gold Print.

Had a lot of fun using this team which had a bunch of great luck. At around the mid-50's I was put under severe pressure by Salamence-4, which outspeeds my entire team and can hit them all for super-effective damage. Thanks to some dumb luck it missed 2 Dragon Rush in a row against my M-Garchomp and fell to Outrage. I lost at battle 71 to an M-Lucario after I had a brain fart and clicked First Impression instead of Liquidation which would've KO'd after tanking a Close Combat, but I was happy to see this silly team get this far anyway.

As a final note, the I fought Guzma about 4 times during this run, clearly it was the Golisopod use. Gonna try for doubles soon, thinking about using Oranguru in some way, but not sure yet how to go about building around monkey man.

Illumise (F) @ Focus Sash
Relaxed / Prankster
Level: 1
IVs: Random
EVs: None
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Encore
- Fake Tears

Blastoise (F) @ Blastoisinite
Modest / Rain Dish (Mega Launcher)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
- Water Spout
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Kartana @ Grassium Z
Jolly / Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Leaf Blade (Bloom Doom)
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Psycho Cut

Alolan Marowak (M) @ Thick Club
Jolly / Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Low Kick
- Protect

Well, 300 wins and going with this team. I decided to get rid of Tapu Lele thanks to several suggestions in order to run another attacker to cover what I do desperately needed. Illumise starts off with Tailwind if it's safe, Protect against potential Fake Outs or double priority, and Fake Tears against slow or Trick Room teams. Encore and Fake Tears can continue to be used as great support while Protect usually nets me another free Water Spout or the like. One can opt for Helping Hand to boost Water Spout against both opponents or to increase damage against Dark-types who are immune to Illumise's priority support, but I prefer Fake Tears personally because it basically doubles damage against an opponent which lets me get some important kills. Blastoise usually Protects first turn against things that it can't immediately kill, usually faster stuff, that might potentially aim at it with status or super effective attacks. If the coast is clear though, it could attack right off the bat. Water Spout for easy damage, with Dark Pulse and Ice Beam as the coverage moves of choice. Kartana provides coverage against bulky Waters and Fairies as well as good Fighting Coverage; it's also my only real answer to Toxapex. Bloom Doom almost always nets a kill against neutral targets and nabs the Attack boost. Marowak is there as an Electric absorber (I bred a new one in ORAS to bring over), and though sometimes I miss losing recoil from Flare Blitz, Lightning Rod has helped me save Blastoise countless times or clean up against something Encored into Thunderbolt. Fire and Ghost round out my coverage, as well as Low Kick because of how badly I need Fighting moves on my team. (And of course, lack of a better option.)

This team struggles with different things than it did with Tapu Lele. While I now have great coverage to deal with threats and Fake Tears/Encore as utility, I now must deal with priority as well as things that might target Blastoise that are hard to switch in to. Grass teams are especially a struggle as Blastoise and Kartana can't do much to some of them, and Marowak now takes recoil. However, I've managed to make it through. Here's some Battle Videos to share:

VL9W-WWWW-WWW5-4LC9: Battle 290 against Colress. One of the more annoying battles where I had to deal with Electric attacks as well as general unpredictability, though I pulled through.
2P4G-WWWW-WWW5-4LCY: Incidentally, Battle 291 was perhaps the easiest I had and the first battle where I won while taking 0 damage. This also shows the entertaining turn 1 Explosion, which occurs quite often; I Protect with Blastoise (and only occasionally with Illumise) whenever there is a potential Exploder.
PU5G-WWWW-WWW5-4LCT: Showcases a tough battle against a mono-Grass team, but I can usually get by thanks to Marowak.
RSPG-WWWW-WWW5-4LDW: Funnily enough, Battle 300 is the video that shows a standard battle that I might have without too much trouble. (I also had no problem sacrificing Illumise, since Grimsley carries all Dark-types.)

As always, feel free to leave comments, questions or suggestions!

67 wins with this team, stupid Youngerster Napoleon. I'm new to Smogon, so hello everyone. The team isn't new or revolutionary, but I mainly wanted the stamp

Typhlosion (Stromboli) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid
IVs: x/x/31/30/31/31
EVs: Max Speed, Max Special Attack, 4 Health
-Eruption
-Hideen Power Grass
-Extrasensory
-Focus Blast

Went with this imperfect one simply because it hatched shiny. :) Got lucky and ended up with HP Grass too! Pretty standard set, Chansey uses Helping Hand to make Eruption a nuke. Extrasensory and Fcus Blast are basically fillers, and HP Grass is sometimes useful.

Chansey (Wallhansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Nature Cure
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
EVs: Max Defense, Max Special Defense, 4 Speed
-Aromatherapy
-Helping Hand
-Soft-Boiled
-Seismic Toss

Chansey provides excellent support for my team, able to power up moves with Helping Hand, heal status with Aromatherapy, and get chip damage with Sesmic Toss. Chansey can stomach a lot of hits and I didn't run protect as a Helping Hand Mega Salamence's Earthquake will only 3KO Chansey I believe.

Salamence (CrescentZoom) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate/Aerilate
Nature: Jolly
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: Max Attack, Max Speed, 4 Health
-Earthquake
-Double-Edge
-Dragon Dance
-Protect

DDance saved me once against Registeel so that's something. Pretty standard Mega-Salamence, Double-Edge as STAB, Earthquake for coverage, Protect can bait Ice types. Chansey makes this thing even more deadly with Helping Hand.

Mimikyu (Disguisechu) @ Farium Z
Ability: Disguise
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs: Max Attack, Max Speed, 4 Health
-Shadow Sneak
-Play Rough
-Wood Hammer
-Leech Life

Boosting moves aren't the best in Doubles, so this set tries to deal the best damage in conjunction with Helping Hand. Helping Hand Shadow Sneak, and Helping Hand Twinkle Tackle are especially useful.

Half of you are probably yelling for me to replace Chansey with Clefairy which I will do eventually. Maybe I can barely make the leaderboard with that!

Okay, after doing more thinking, I've come to agree with GG Unit that Toxic has no place on my Chansey. Thinking about, the only benefit it serves me is that it allows all my team members a chance at taking down Chandelure head on. But considering it doesn't get Taunt, PP stalling with a move that always succeeds and could allow a teammate a chance to come in could be more optimal. The question becomes then, what should that move be? I am juggling 2 candidates:

Minimize: If I switch Chansey in on a Special attacker, I can Minimize with relative safety and proceed to Seismic Toss.
Confide: This can allow Salamence to set up on Special attackers as well as physical ones and is safer than Growl because Chansey's Sp. Def is superb. It can also make switch stall with Toxapex safer and give it opportunities to use its 100% accurate Toxic.

I've seen Chansey's with Sub+Minimize. Honestly, I am inclined to believe that these are the technical best builds. But:

1. My Chansey is Bold, not Timid so speed investment won't help it too much.
2. I kinda don't want to overhaul my EVs that hard since I'm already at like 55 in the Tree. Plus replacing 1 move seems more risk-free than completely overhauling a mon and having to change my overall gameplan which is leading Salamence and switching a wall into leads he hates while exploiting Intimidate.

So given my situation, which would be the better move to replace Toxic considering I can't squeeze Substitute in?

PS: The more I think about optimal Chansey builds, the more I realize how incredible she'd be if she got Lucky Chant. It'd cut the risk of switching to teammate after Growl/Substitute stalling almost to zero. There just has to be a way to take advantage of it though. Either that or switching in a good mon with Battle/Shell armor. IDK.

Last edited:

Team was

Choice Scarf Durant: iron head,Rock Slide, Entrainment, Protect

Mega Salamence : Protect, Dragon Dance, Return, Earthquake

Focus Sash Kartana: Smart strike, Leaf Blade, Night slash, Sacred Fuck You Double Team Sword.

Final mons Durant vs Talonflame

I used rockslide ....It missed and smogonbird use flareblitz GG Streak

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)