BDSP Battle Tower Discussion & Records

Currently on a 203 streak using mostly Q8Altarias' team in masters doubles. Antony + Haylee with dewgong-3 + porygon-z-2 lead is the only scary team ive ran across so far with all the 1hko moves and bright powder, but otherwise this has been a pretty brainless 1200+ BP grind which is nice.

My main suggestion for running this team is switching sitrus berry for lum on dusknoir as being able to get off a trick room trough a paralysis or freeze has been very clutch, and the longevity hasnt been needed too badly.
I was indeed using the original Lum Berry for Dusknoir for some time and then I switched to Sitrus Berry because I thought the extra HP helps and it was working fine. But I still do agree that Lum Berry would probably fill in a more important hole.

Btw, I stopped playing this game for a while due to the stress I was putting on myself, though I still do keep up with people's records and their teams. It's really fun reading through them and seeing everyone's participation. It's still humbling for me to see many people referring to "Q8altaria's Team" even though it's an old strategy and the fact that I did not put much depth into it.

I was indeed using the original Lum Berry for Dusknoir for some time and then I switched to Sitrus Berry because I thought the extra HP helps and it was working fine. But I still do agree that Lum Berry would probably fill in a more important hole.

Btw, I stopped playing this game for a while due to the stress I was putting on myself, though I still do keep up with people's records and their teams. It's really fun reading through them and seeing everyone's participation. It's still humbling for me to see many people referring to "Q8altaria's Team" even though it's an old strategy and the fact that I did not put much depth into it.
I will say not racing to 200 is not nearly as stressful for me as im sure it was for you, I'm just grinding for the BP right now and this is by far the easiest team to use for the consistency imo. Now that ive bought 100+ of every vitamin and every other item in the game i might mess around with some other teams but I'll most likely continue until I die to some hax. Once the streak dies I'll write up a little report of some addition things to be careful of and some tendencies I've came across in rank 10 for anyone that wants to try to go super far. But even if you didn't "create" the team or the concept, we all thank you for giving it some exposure for noobs like me to find and use.

Eh screw it I'll write up a little report now while the streak is at 238 and active.

image0.png
image1.png
Team is Q8Altaria's as seen below, only notable change is the Lum berry on Dusknoir over Sitrus berry as I've been paralyzed and frozen on turn 1 before using trick room and the berry has ensured the move going through. I've considered Mental herb as its item, but from what I have ran into, only toxicroak-2 has had a problematic taunt, and it seems to have only used the move 50% of the time and then targeted dusknoir only 50% of the time after that. so its less likely that I get cheesed by taunt than it is that i get a status problem from multiple other moves and pokemon so I've stuck with Lum.

Dusknoir @ Lum berry
Relaxed
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gravity
- Trick Room
- Brick Break
- Night Shade

Aron @ Berry Juice
Level 1
Brave
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk
IVs: 0 HP
- Attract
- Rock Slide
- Endeavor
- Protect

Snorlax @ Wiki Berry
Brave
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Def
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct
- Crunch

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Brave
Ability: Guts
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Def / 112 SpD
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
Protect +trick room Turn 1, endeavor + night shade two turns in a row to the SAME SIDE. Very Important, as Snorlax and Hariyama can always solo 2v1 x2 and aron will almost always guarantee this situation with sturdy+berry juice.

I use Frisk on Dusknoir as I'm lazy and after 100+ battles in rank 10 you kinda know what you're going against just by watching the people walk into the room, and the items confirm the teams from there. But if you were playing 100% optimally, pressure would be the correct ability choice.

What to watch out for:

fissure/sheer cold users. Dusknoir don't care about guillotine or horn drill, but is not immune to the other two 1HKO moves. I just pray dusk doesn't get hit turn 1 and then immediately target that side with endeavor+ night shade after the trick room is up. If the 1hko user is in the back, just make sure snorlax and hariyama are alive and they should be able to kill any pokemon 2v1.

Evasion/BrightPowder/LaxIncense: If one of these is the lead, i see if the other pokemon is going to be an issue via 1hko/taunt/status, and if the other mon isnt going to be an issue, I target the hax mon first. If the other mon can threaten at all I take that side out first, protect with aron while i use gravity with dusknoir for the increased accuracy, then if i kill with endeavor + night shade that next turn, I protect + trick room again, then clean up the following turn. If I miss I just protect + trick room the next turn anyway but gravity has been so useful.

Multi-Hit moves and Rough Skin: Some pokemon have rock blast or double hit or something of the like. If a mon has one of these moves and leads off, you need to target that first because unless it only hits twice, it will break through aron. Rough skin will break aron's sturdy when you use endeavor, so I normally attack the other side and then deal with garchomp after those two are out.

I haven't theorymon'd too hard about what the optimal play is to go for when dusknoir goes down to 1hko, but I've been going into hariyama to fake out + endeavor the 1hko side, and then playing it like a straight up doubles match from there. AI is good but not good enough to switch out into resists or run protect on every mon so its not too terrible even without trick room.

Anyway, moral of the story is to use the team look-up resource whenever possible until you don't care about your streak ending, and then play thoughtfully.

Also if anyone is wondering you get 50 BP per 7 wins in masters rank 10, not sure if that changes if you dont win all 7 in a row bc I haven't lost yet somehow, but I highly recommend getting there for the BP farm. gimme allllll them vitamins :)

1641605998289.png

The most recent set of seven had Waitress Kaila with Blaziken-5 lead and Gentleman Jerrell with Scizor-6, both leads that are some of the most difficult to play around and on teams that require some finesse after dealing with the lead to stay alive. Still on Shuckle/Breloom/Suicune.

Also hit 1000 non-consecutive wins within the last couple sets, so, that's cool.

View attachment 390050

Never have I thought from the beginning that no one else would really get the 200 winstreaks before me ?
I honestly don't think of myself as a huge expert in Pokémon. I'm definitely not the best team builder nor the best pilot but I gotta tell you, I had the patience and patience was key indeed.

I remember when Lifecoach (A professional HearthStone player) was being made fun of for playing his games veeeeery slooooowly all the time. And one time I was watching him play, he ended up becoming the first player in the season to reach legend rank, thus he was rank 1 in Europe despite his slow games and time consumed on each turn. The lesson ?
QUALITY > QUANTITY

Slow and steady won me the race in the end. For almost every game, I was checking the database of battle tower sets and trainers so thank you so much for the people who made them and the calculator. I wouldn't have won a fraction of 200 without these tools.

THE WORLD ★ @ Sitrus Berry
Relaxed
IVs: 22 SpA / 0 Spe
- Gravity
- Trick Room
- Brick Break
- Night Shade

Fixalas @ Berry Juice
Level 1
Brave
- Attract
- Rock Slide
- Endeavor
- Protect

Brdenoos B6a @ Wiki Berry
Brave
IVs: 18 SpA / 0 Spe
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct
- Crunch

D'3yyyyyyj ! @ Flame Orb
Brave
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Fake Out

Ideal game:
Turn 1: Trick Room & Protect
Turn 2: Endeavor & Night Shade (Aron lives from Sturdy and heals from Berry Juice)
Turn 3: Endeavor & Night Shade the same side (Aron lives from Sturdy)
And now the 3rd Pokémon will not be summoned because it belongs to the other trainer, so it's always a 2v1 on the field.

Dusknoir:
I did not make the EVs for anything specific. First I wanted just full HP and euqal Def/Sp.Def but I think I moved some for Def later to maintain a higher sum. I could be mistaken but Frisk is theoretically useless because it will not help discover anything the database can't show. Se, Pressure is better but Frisk is for lazy people who don't wanna check the database sometimes. I was using Rock Slide instead of Brick Break earlier, but having an assuring attack vs Normal types is better and also doing AOE dmg is pretty useless because the main goal is to kill 2 pokémons from 1 side. Often times against (Brighter Power / Double Team) I would take a turn to use Gravity & Protect which boosts accuracy, and then do the Endeavor Night Shade combo again.

Aron:
I thought of having Rock Slide for a chance to flinch or finish 1 HP enemies, which doesn't come often of course. Maybe a 100% accuracy move would be better. Attract is not that great either, but it came in handy vs Garchomp's Rough Skin. I was thinking of Rain Dance to kill the snow vs Abomasnow-2&4 teams, but I can imagine it would lead to the same outcome if you just Protect turn 1. Endeavor turn 1 works in hail only when Aron tanks 1 hit and heals. Also I had the though of having Gluttony with Belly Drum, but then I figured Snorlax's main job is to be a quick solution to when things go wrong early, so I just wanna hit with him right away.

Hariyama: (Thanks to Zero for recommending this to me)
Before this, I was using Cresselia CM Moonlight Psychic Moonblast and she was doing great almost all the times. Later, I was thinking of Machamp, haven't tried him yet but I liked Hariayama's numbers more. Hariyama solves some problems in panic situations instead of being something that is just slow setup like Cresselia. What I mean by that is I aim to kill stuff fast on one side to get to the 2v1 and then everything is at ease.
EVs: Max Atk and ½ Def & ½ Sp.Def. @ 223 HP to have maximum HP/Def bulk with minimum Burn dmg taken since Burn does 1/16 max HP (rounding down).

Snowlax:
HP to get maximum (1/3) heal from Wiki Berry, rest is Atk & Def. I spent alot of time trying to catch a Munchlax in underground with Self-Destruct, yet I was always too afraid to use it xD.

I have also thought alot about having another Trick Room user, but I wonder "Fights eaither finish quickly or things can go bad early" early enough that Dimensions are still twisted, and that's when I'm in desperate need for my buddies Brdenoos/D'3yj. Alot of the times I lose a pokémon and the dimensions return to normal, but at that time the battle is pretty much already won and there's no need really for Trick Room to help the Bulky boys finish the game.

I have been in a situation once where both Hariyama and Snorlax were in love with a female, so I was gonna swap one of their genders for sure but they both have a low % chance to breed a female >.<
I humbly accept any criticism / suggestions to proving this team, so please feel free to share your ideas.
The streak is #ONGOING at 200 wins, but I'll definitely be slowing down / taking a break and getting back to my life as a student/musician. *sigh* I can finally rest now zzzzzzzz
Thank you Zero for providing me with pokémons
Thanks to the guy who traded me a Hariyama and the other who evolved my Dusclops (RIP Eviolite)

Discord: Altaria#0150
Thank you so much <3
Have you considered Shell Bell over Berry Juice on Aron? This way, it could replenish its HP to full after every Endeavor use. Sadly, Aron can't learn Toxic in gen8.
Aerial Ace could serve as a 100% accurate finisher move that is able to hit all pokémon.

On Dusknoir, Haze sounds more impactful against evasion spammers than running Gravity just as a filler - though that one wouldn't protect against Blind Powder. Maybe I am to scarred, but I'd rather run Shadow Punch over Night Shade to guarantee a hit.

Last edited:
Have you considered Shell Bell over Berry Juice on Aron? This way, it could replenish its HP to full after every Endeavor use. Sadly, Aron can't learn Toxic in gen8.
Aerial Ace could serve as a 100% accurate finisher move that is able to hit all pokémon.

On Dusknoir, Haze sounds more impactful against evasion spammers than running Gravity just as a filler - though that one wouldn't protect against Blind Powder. Maybe I am to scarred, but I'd rather run Shadow Punch over Night Shade to guarantee a hit.
from my experience, dusknoir hitting a night shade is significantly less important than aron hitting endeavor. so gravity for me has been much more than just a filler move, and has been more useful than a haze, as it eliminates up to 2 double teams anyway with its accuracy boost + bright powder bs. Might run shadow punch though as the damage cant be that different than night shade and all we need is contact anyway.

Shell bell i agree would be better in theory, but if you get double prioritized you have no chance. Not sure if this is relevant given the team comp of the AI but berry juice is just so consistent i dont think ill switch off anytime soon. on a 253 streak right now with this team

Reporting an ongoing streak of 203 in Master Class Doubles

271530417_930272661210048_3067293164141150678_n.jpg

271274978_1118495802022782_6739997763127625838_n.jpg

The team I'm using is 3/4 of Q8altaria's team, minus the Snorlax. Decided to go with something else for that spot instead.

Dusknoir @ Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Night Shade
- Brick Break
- Gravity

Same EVs and set from the team referenced above. I figured the one that went for general bulkiness would be best for now since I'm not really that familiar with the mons in the tower yet. So far, so good, though. Haven't been hit by a T1 OHKO move yet (only been targeted once ever so far, actually. Every other time, the mon with an OHKO move targeted Aron.)

Aron @ Berry Juice
Level: 1
Brave Nature
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Aerial Ace
- Attract

Very similar to Q8altaria's Aron's moveset, except I opted for the sure-hit Aerial Ace over Rock Slide. I've actually killed off a couple of things left at 1HP with this - not a lot, but the situation has come up.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off

Similar to the leads, I got this set off of the same team referenced earlier. Only comes in ahead of the next mon if a Fake Out will affect the game-state in any way (i.e. to reset TR, to give Aron a free Endeavor if for some reason it's on the field and you find yourself unable to reset TR, etc.), or if it has the more effective typing/coverage moves for the opponents' remaining Pokemon.

Tyranitar @ Black Glasses
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Assurance
- Rock Slide
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

This literal beast does quite a lot for the team for when it's not possible for a clean 4-0 sweep using the leads. This is the default switch in if you sac one of your leads to keep the 4-turn sweep during TR going as Night Shade/Brick Break + Assurance does A LOT of damage, and Endeavor + pretty much anything else kills. The only time you would pick Hariyama to send in post-sac is if it's a "Fake Out turn" (i.e. more often than not, to reset TR).

Against Abomasnow leads, I usually sac Tyranitar by sending it in Aron's place to cancel the Hail while Dusknoir sets up TR. Most of the time the enemy doubles up on Aron's slot so expect Tyranitar to die, but you can then proceed to switch in Aron for free and continue with the 4-0 sweep without Hail active. If you find yourself experiencing a miracle, and Tyranitar lives, you can look to start sweeping with Dusknoir + Assurance or the other coverage moves (use calcs!).

Generally, like all the other TR+Endeavor teams that made reports before me, initially, your aim is to kill both Pokemon on one side of the field to leave yourself in a 2v1 situation, and deal with the solo mon from there. The biggest thing in playing this strat is selecting the correct side to clear. Selecting a side to target is often decided by seeing which side you can most probably clear within turns 2 and 3.

I've recently joined the Battle Facilities Discord so feel free to hit me up there. Would really appreciate comments and suggestions for the team.
Thank you!

270018444_666809287665514_6200598714698893088_n.jpg

Just got over 200 wins on Master Single with this team:

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Shadow Ball
- Scald

Very similar team to tjptchr9's, credits to them. Just two important tweaks: Focus Sash on Garchomp and Protect instead of Mirror Coat on Suicune.
- Focus Sash: It helps swing a lot of match ups vs Dragon Dance users (Lum nite, Gyarados, Feraligatr, Latios etc) in Garchomp's favour, and helps gain advantage vs Ice Beam/Moonblast lead.
- Protect on Suicune: I found Mirror Coat on Suicune great, but not consistent enough for a long win streak (you can get crit, frozen, paralise, etc...). I found things that you can safely Mirror Coat on, you can also stall with Calm Mind - Protect. On top of that, Protect also helps stalling vs hail/sunny team, safer switching into Dragons and vs HJK Choice Scarf Medicham.

Many match-ups need careful planning, but overall you are the overwhelming favorite for most, and I found none is impossible to win. I use Serebii's battle tower index and Note Anywhere chrome extension to leave specific note for each match up.

That's it for now! I might go back and extend the streak later if somebody decides to beat it before Pokemon Legends: Arceus comes out (after that, who cares about BDSP Battle Tower :blobshrug:).

Attachments

Hi, new to the forum and also new at playing semi-competitive.
I would like to ask for advice on the team I am running, so far so good (master doubles rank 7), I had 1/2 losses on the way mostly because I made mistake/had no knowledge (for example thinking I could redirect grass moves with Rage Powder), atm I think I am like 70/4 or something like that.
The rules I set to myself are:
- no cheese (I mostly play battle tower because it's fun, I really dont wanna cheese with Aron)
- no very grindy to get legendaries (at least atm, I don't wanna farm shards)

Atm my team is:

Adamant - 252/252/4/0/0/0 (pretty good IV speed, best on the the rest)
Guts - Flame Orb
Facade - Close Combat - Detect - Fake Out

Relaxed - 4/0/252/0/252/0 (pretty good IV speed, best on the rest)
Lum Berry - Levitate
Trick Room - Explosion - Psychic - Light Screen

Brave - 252/252/4/0/0/0 (pretty good IV speed, best on the the rest)
Effect Spore - Focus Sash
Spore - X-Scissor - Rage Powder - Protect

Brave - 4/252/252/0/0/0 (all best IV)
Huge Power - Sytrus Berry
Belly Drum - Protect - Aqua Jet - Play Rought

So far my standard gameplay is to go:
Turn 1: Fake Out + Trick Room
In my experience I 99% of the times get there, one problem is if both enemies can OHKO my lead, Lum Berry came in clutch 3 times so far
Turn 2: Detect + Explosion
Leaves no counterplay, usually i sub in parasect
Turn 3: Close Combat/Facade + Spore
At this point Parasect always moves first, Hari is usually able to clean up or at least force a 2v1 under spore, I usually go for spore + damage any turn I can
Then if I reach the late game, usually good use of protects + rage powder.

Azumarill is there as a decent Trick Room abuser/Alternate Wincon, Parasect can usually buy the time needed for the belly drum setup and it's quite easy to get 4 OHKO from there.

As I said, I probably made quite a lot of mistakes (atm parasect is full on Atk because this way X-Scissor actually gets some KOs vs ghost, that my hari can't touch, and given all the 4x weaknesses of para I don't think it can wall well anyway), any advices?

View attachment 397947

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Shadow Ball
- Scald

Very similar team to tjptchr9's, credits to them. Just two important tweaks: Focus Sash on Garchomp and Protect instead of Mirror Coat on Suicune.
- Focus Sash: It helps swing a lot of match ups vs Dragon Dance users (Lum nite, Gyarados, Feraligatr, Latios etc) in Garchomp's favour, and helps gain advantage vs Ice Beam/Moonblast lead.
- Protect on Suicune: I found Mirror Coat on Suicune great, but not consistent enough for a long win streak (you can get crit, frozen, paralise, etc...). I found things that you can safely Mirror Coat on, you can also stall with Calm Mind - Protect. On top of that, Protect also helps stalling vs hail/sunny team, safer switching into Dragons and vs HJK Choice Scarf Medicham.

Many match-ups need careful planning, but overall you are the overwhelming favorite for most, and I found none is impossible to win. I use Serebii's battle tower index and Note Anywhere chrome extension to leave specific note for each match up.

That's it for now! I might go back and extend the streak later if somebody decides to beat it before Pokemon Legends: Arceus comes out (after that, who cares about BDSP Battle Tower :blobshrug:).
Congrats on taking this team over 200. I haven’t put a lot more time into the battle tower for the last few weeks but I had at least two streaks ended by the choice scarf HJK Medicham, so having protect on Suicune would have certainly prevented those losses.

View attachment 397947

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Shadow Ball
- Scald

I am unable to beat Idol Sidney with this team. Here is her team:
1642367575062.png

I can take out Porygon-Z and Garchomp with my Garchomp, but I cannot beat Cradily with Suicune and Raikou because Cradily uses Leach Seed, Leftovers, and Giga Drain. Suicune's Ice Beam is not enough, and Cradily just beats it and Raikou.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
View attachment 398986

I can take out Porygon-Z and Garchomp with my Garchomp, but I cannot beat Cradily with Suicune and Raikou because Cradily uses Leach Seed, Leftovers, and Giga Drain. Suicune's Ice Beam is not enough, and Cradily just beats it and Raikou.
Rest over Protect on Suicune, as is standard in battle facilities, would let Suicune beat Cradily if it's at full health:
0 SpA Cradily Giga Drain vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 44-54 (21.2 - 26%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Some have been messaging me about masters singles and I wanted to showcase a recent video I made of using Cloyster, Scizor, and Latios as the mainstay team for this format. So here it is. For those who are new and want to see how players can dissect each battle to start winning more.

Video:

I wanted to highlight a few things in masters singles, with the eventual run leading up to Palmer:

-Yes, the battle tower is a mixture of skills and luck. You can have the best team ever, but one missed move or 5 straight turns of freeze can implode your streak. And the same can go with luck going in your favor. When it does, evaluate your options and make the smart decisions.

-USE THE TRAINER CATALOGUE. I use the one on Serebii, but these catalogues can help you make informed decisions when it comes to all out offense or preserving mons for specific matchups (in this case in the video, keeping Latios for Energy Ball on Unaware Quagsire that can wall both Scizor and Closyter)

-Using the Pokemon Damage Calculator can improve your chances at winning (and make the best decisions in any format) as it will help you deteremine the risk vs reward factor (does this move kill me, can I sweep up without fearing a strong move, can I survive the eventual crit)

I've seen a lot of good teams here with amazing streaks. I just thought talking about the thought process of battling can help those take their game next level.

Alright, I need help.
I'm continuing my Water-type crusade with a modified version of Eisenherz's rainwind team. It's a solid squall squad and thanks to DoubleCheck I've made it to 59 in Master Class Doubles. But I flat-out cannot beat Ellis and Irene, regardless of whether they bring Rhyperior or Torkoal in the last slot (I assume; I've fought them twice and have yet to KO Abomasnow). I don't think I'll be able to luck my way to 100 without encountering them at least once, so I need a solution.

The team as it stands:
Windjammer (Pelipper) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Brine
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Protect

Scauldron (Kingdra) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Slizer (Kabutops) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Leech Life
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Speed Queen (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch
Pelipper and Kingdra are unchanged from Eisenherz's leaderboard-topping team. Choice Scarf Rotom is my poor substitute for Choice Specs Raikou, and Kabutops is my even worse substitute for Scizor.
Kabutops is generally the extremely weak link, but other Aqua Jet users seem just as bad if not markedly worse. Azumarill would be my go-to, but it can't hit the recommended Speed for "Scizor" without sacrificing Adamant. The lack of a Steel-type hurts, but Empoleon doesn't strike me as... good. Maybe I'm wrong and a Swords Dancin' penguin will solve all my problems, but I'm also worried I'll miss Leech Life for Cresselia (all those damn Cresselia). Anyone have any thoughts (or prayers)?

Quick update on my streak since I reached a new milestone:

View attachment 392607

This is what the team is currently, and that's definitely going to be the final version until Home, where I'll replace Ice Beam with Hurricane on Kingdra if by some miracle the streak is still ongoing:

The only real change since last time is Volt Switch > Extrasensory on Raikou, thanks to Sirya providing me with one of his TMs.
I wouldn't say it's a minor change, Volt Switch makes a world of difference and opens up my options a lot on how to handle tougher matchups where I have to do a lot of switching, whether it be to change weather or switch back and forth between Raikou and Pelipper as resists to one another, baiting attacks. It also allows coming in on Slowbro-2, for example, get yawned on the switch, and OHKO Slowbro on my way out to not suffer the incoming sleep. While Scald was in my initial plans, every move on Raikou feels too important to give up right now, while Scald would be more of a luxury considering the frontline. Funnily, this makes Raikou end up with the exact same moveset Jolteon was running.

As my previous team reports mention, my hopes for this team weren't too high at first, it was put together pretty quickly, but as the streak kept rolling, I started to feel some pressure to take it more seriously; clearly, the team is pretty good, and I don't want the time I invested in it to just go to waste. I had several close calls and definitely some luck along the way on games I played sloppily, but around 300, I decided this streak was now too good to throw away, and I started putting effort into it.

I started taking notes of what trainer duos gave me trouble, any close calls, etc. and I spent actual hours (probably around 6-8 by now – it's still an ongoing process) purely theorymonning those matchups to find my best plays in advance. It's exhausting, and not particularly enjoyable to me, but the feeling of seeing a very convoluted plan to win regardless of hax actually work out through bad RNG is some of the most satisfying stuff I've experienced in facilities.

I spent a whopping 3.5 hours thinking about Dallin and Barret, which's team looked pretty easy to handle to me at first ("oh, Scizor just wins, let's find a way to SD and that should be it..."). After nearly losing to that team, I sat down and realized setting up a SD safely looked practically impossible. By the end, I ended up with this:
...I have yet to face them again, but now I can't wait.

I have now done the same for a lot more matchups, though the vast majority are much shorter because there are a lot less variables that matter. I'm using a spreadsheet that looks like this:

View attachment 392611

I think in the long run, this will be key to the most successful streaks, not the sheet necessarily, but planning to try and mitigate all the RNG thrown our way. This might also be a little different for singles and doubles; while doubles often has the luxury of more leniency with suboptimal plays/teams because it has more ways to bait and buy free turns, finding the right line in a bad double-matchup tends to be more complex because more variables means there are many more ways it could go wrong, and perfectly safe plans become a lot more difficult to make. I assume planning singles matchups will be a bit more straightforward, but finding the right team for it might be less so.

Oh, by the way, see those numbers on the sheet? They're because of this:

I had the same feeling after ~200 battles, and JustinTR also mentioned on Discord that he felt the repeats seemed too frequent to be a pool of this size. So I tracked all of my encounters, starting from 103 which is when I started recording (I went back through the VODs for previous ones).

As of now, I have the data from 336 non-boss encounters, and here are the stats:
  • 128 unique trainer duos encountered. Unfortunately, I only recently started separating same duos using different teams, so 128 is truly the number of duos and not the number of different teams. Most have only 1, but some have 2 or even 3 possible teams.
  • Of those 128, 31 were only encountered once, 36 were encountered twice, 26 were encountered thrice, 20 were encountered 4 times, 7 were were encountered 5 times, 4 were encountered 6 times, and Carlo/Cortney take the palm for being the only ones to challenge me 7 times.
I am no statistician, as a matter of fact I'm embarrassingly bad at math, so I'm not going to draw conclusions from it, I just wanted to share it so people who know what they're talking about can use it if they want.
However, it kind of seems like those numbers make sense?
If they do add up with what we should be getting, then my theory as to why all of us had the impression of getting way more rematches is that there are a lot of similar names (there's an Andreas/Kristi team, and also an Andreas/Kristy team lol), and many of them are part of several duos, so we do see them a lot, with similar Pokémon, so they can start to blend together if you're not keeping track. That makes it so just a couple of genuine repeats can make you go "wow we're really just facing the same teams a lot!".

---------------------------------------------------------
I'm still updating the YouTube playlist with the recording of the entire streak as I go, in case someone is curious to see the battles. From memory, the 420-427 leg was the most difficult/unlucky I faced, if any might serve for actual entertainment.

---------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, now that I've put many hours into properly figuring out lines of play for this team, I feel more committed, so I'll keep going with the big 1k in sight. I might slow down a bit though, because this is unironically happening now:

View attachment 392627
Hey, wanted to ask, is there a chancer you would share the document with the strategies on it?

Eh screw it I'll write up a little report now while the streak is at 238 and active.

Team is Q8Altaria's as seen below, only notable change is the Lum berry on Dusknoir over Sitrus berry as I've been paralyzed and frozen on turn 1 before using trick room and the berry has ensured the move going through. I've considered Mental herb as its item, but from what I have ran into, only toxicroak-2 has had a problematic taunt, and it seems to have only used the move 50% of the time and then targeted dusknoir only 50% of the time after that. so its less likely that I get cheesed by taunt than it is that i get a status problem from multiple other moves and pokemon so I've stuck with Lum.

Dusknoir @ Lum berry
Relaxed
- Gravity
- Trick Room
- Brick Break
- Night Shade

Aron @ Berry Juice
Level 1
Brave
IVs: 0 HP
- Attract
- Rock Slide
- Endeavor
- Protect

Snorlax @ Wiki Berry
Brave
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct
- Crunch

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Brave
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
Protect +trick room Turn 1, endeavor + night shade two turns in a row to the SAME SIDE. Very Important, as Snorlax and Hariyama can always solo 2v1 x2 and aron will almost always guarantee this situation with sturdy+berry juice.

I use Frisk on Dusknoir as I'm lazy and after 100+ battles in rank 10 you kinda know what you're going against just by watching the people walk into the room, and the items confirm the teams from there. But if you were playing 100% optimally, pressure would be the correct ability choice.

What to watch out for:

fissure/sheer cold users. Dusknoir don't care about guillotine or horn drill, but is not immune to the other two 1HKO moves. I just pray dusk doesn't get hit turn 1 and then immediately target that side with endeavor+ night shade after the trick room is up. If the 1hko user is in the back, just make sure snorlax and hariyama are alive and they should be able to kill any pokemon 2v1.

Evasion/BrightPowder/LaxIncense: If one of these is the lead, i see if the other pokemon is going to be an issue via 1hko/taunt/status, and if the other mon isnt going to be an issue, I target the hax mon first. If the other mon can threaten at all I take that side out first, protect with aron while i use gravity with dusknoir for the increased accuracy, then if i kill with endeavor + night shade that next turn, I protect + trick room again, then clean up the following turn. If I miss I just protect + trick room the next turn anyway but gravity has been so useful.

Multi-Hit moves and Rough Skin: Some pokemon have rock blast or double hit or something of the like. If a mon has one of these moves and leads off, you need to target that first because unless it only hits twice, it will break through aron. Rough skin will break aron's sturdy when you use endeavor, so I normally attack the other side and then deal with garchomp after those two are out.

I haven't theorymon'd too hard about what the optimal play is to go for when dusknoir goes down to 1hko, but I've been going into hariyama to fake out + endeavor the 1hko side, and then playing it like a straight up doubles match from there. AI is good but not good enough to switch out into resists or run protect on every mon so its not too terrible even without trick room.

Anyway, moral of the story is to use the team look-up resource whenever possible until you don't care about your streak ending, and then play thoughtfully.

Also if anyone is wondering you get 50 BP per 7 wins in masters rank 10, not sure if that changes if you dont win all 7 in a row bc I haven't lost yet somehow, but I highly recommend getting there for the BP farm. gimme allllll them vitamins :)
Screenshot (6).png

Those in the discord heard about this a week or two ago but I never put it up in this thread.. My streak has ended at 303 unfortunately. Can't blame the team at all, I very stupidly plugged my switch into its charger which was plugged into a surge protector that was turned off, which meant that my switch wasn't charging, and when it died my game closed out. For those of you who don't know, if you close out of the game without "taking a break" between battles, the game will kill your streak to prevent people from quitting out of a matchup they are losing. Super dumb way to end the streak but I broke 300 which is cool (303-0) and I have more BP than I know what to do with lol. Kinda relieved anyway as I wanted to get back into VGC for series 12 and grinding the battle tower was not going to help me with that. Good Luck everyone! And remember to charge your systems :)

I got a nice streak of 69 wins in Masters Singles and just in time before Legends: Arceus! It took a good bit of playing around and figuring out the one move that could get me past 21. I did self-impose restrictions on my team, so here is my post about that: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bdsp-battle-tower-discussion-records.3693739/post-9057322

The team:
1642655634358.png
Uxie @ Aguav Berry
Bold Nature (minted, but naturally Careful)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Yawn
- Dream Eater
- Memento
- Nasty Plot
1642656305215.png
Blastoise ♂ @ White Herb
Modest Nature
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Shell Smash
1642656257689.png
Dodrio ♀ @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
Ability: Early Bird
- Drill Peck
- Swords Dance
- Thrash
- Quick Attack

Uxie: In the past, I've mostly just used offensive Pokemon. But with my self-imposed restrictions, there just didn't seem like a wide enough selection, so I had to learn to use Pokemon that (even after boosted) had a speed slower than Arcanine. Uxie was ultimately my choice for it. Kind of gimmicky, but not really. Uxie can take a hit from any move (excluding Sheer Cold and the like), so this gives the opportunity to Yawn (or Memento) on most any lead to either let Blastoise or Dodrio set up to sweep or to let Uxie take care of itself. The way that Uxie attacks is using its only attacking move Dream Eater. The standard process that Uxie uses to defeat an opponent on its own is Yawn->NastyPlot->DreamEater->DreamEater->repeat. Also a great way to quickly bring up SpA to OHKO everything with DreamEater by the end of the match. Memento was the last move I had the hardest time to figure out that's what I needed; I was cautious because of the whole making yourself faint thing. I had played around with Light Screen, Reflect, Dazzling Gleam (to hit dark types), Amnesia, Recycle, and Substitute, but Memento gave me the most success in the end. I would have tried Protect next if Memento didn't work out. Memento is primarily used when Uxie can't put the opponent to sleep easily (either because of Chesto/Lum berry or VitalSpirit/Insomnia) or if it's going to die anyway. Bold mint + EVs in Defense ended up making a lot of sense since 2 of the 3 types Uxie is weak to are mostly physical (Dark and Bug). And ghost moves are easy to Yawn and Switch to Dodrio.
Blastoise is pretty standard. Almost always Shell Smash first thing, and he'll outspeed everything short of a Jolly Scarfchomp. The White Herb lets him maintain his bulk, which comes in handy. Dark Pulse instead of Aura Sphere because of type coverage and in most cases I'll prefer the flinch possibility over 101% accuracy. Pretty much anything that I would use Aura Sphere instead of Dark Pulse on, Surf or Ice Beam do just fine.
Dodrio was my first selection for this team because I wanted a fast (>100 base speed) Pokemon with a 120 BP STAB move and the ability to either SwordsDance/NastyPlot or Shell Smash. And with my restrictions, Dodrio was the only one that fit the bill. After Swords Dance, Dodrio OHKOs most everyone that isn't a Rock or Steel, which Blastoise has a pretty easy time with since they tend to have low Special Defense. Also having a speed priority move (Bonus that it's a STAB too) has saved me more than once (looking at you Weavile and Alakazam).

Strategy:
For most opponents, Uxie can beat the first and second Pokemon with the DreamEater-KO strategy of Yawn->NastyPlot->DreamEater->DreamEater->Repeat. But for most of those that it can't, Yawn and then switch/Memento to either Blastoise or Dodrio (usually Blastoise because of his better type coverage and the ability to take a hit). Yawn can better for a support Pokemon like Uxie than say Spore, for example, because when switching, the opponent will always be asleep for the turn that I can Shell Smash or Swords Dance, and I don't have to worry so much about them being asleep for only one turn.
The biggest threats to my team are Quagsire-4 with Unaware and Stockpile and obnoxious defenses, Raikou who's faster than Dodrio and can OHKO Blastoise with a single Thunderbolt, and Dragon Dancers with Lum Berries who Uxie usually can't stay alive for enough turns to put to sleep. They're too fast for both Dodrio and Blastoise after 2 Dragon Dances, and they can sweep my whole team if I take too long to KO them. My only shot for these is to quickly Memento, Shell Smash, attack or else Blastoise is a goner.

And this brings me to how I lost against THE Tower Tycoon Palmer. I feel like this is my best chance of winning this one; it just mostly depends on how long Dragonite Dragon Dances before it attacks.
Dragonite uses Dragon dance. Uxie uses Memento (not wasting my time with that Lum Berry). Uxie fainted. Send out Blastoise.
Dragonite uses Dragon dance. Blastoise uses Shell Smash.
Dragonite uses Outrage. (Crap, now Blastoise doesn't have enough HP to take an Earth Power from Heatran.) IceBeam OHKO Dragonite. Palmer sends out Heatran (with a Focus Sash).
Blastoise uses Surf on Heatran, Focus Sash activated. Heatran uses Earth Power. Blastoise fainted. Send out Dodrio.
Dodrio uses Quick Attack. Heatran fainted. Palmer sends out Cresselia. (Now Dodrio by herself takes 3 turns to KO Cresselia so gotta hope Thunder Wave misses.)
Dodrio uses Swords Dance. Cresselia uses Thunder Wave. Dodrio is paralyzed. It may be unable to move. Also Cresselia is now faster than Dodrio.
Cresselia uses Ice Beam. Dodrio can’t move due to paralysis.
Cresselia uses Ice Beam. Dodrio fainted.

Sometimes Dragonite takes an extra Dragon Dance, especially if its attack has been reduced, but not this time. In which case Blastoise can OHKO Dragonite with Ice Beam, Surf Heatran, take an Earth Power, Surf again to KO Heatran, and then spam Dark Pulse until Cresselia either faints or has low enough HP that Dodrio can KO it in 1 or 2 turns. My other opportunity for victory was if Cresselia's first Thunder Wave missed in which case it would try again and more than likely Dodrio could 2HKO with Thrash after Swords Dance.
Something else I could do is Yawn Dragonite and hope that Uxie can hang on long enough to put Dragonite to sleep. But that's risky because if that fails then Blastoise gets OHKO'd with an outrage that hasn't been reduced in power by Memento.

I felt pretty innovative building this team with the restrictions I put on it. I'll probably play around with doubles for a little bit, not expecting much, but just something to keep myself occupied until Legends: Arceus comes out!

1642660871360.png

1642660894369.png

PS: Serebii still doesn't have the female Dodrio picture, so I had to take the screenshot myself.

Last edited:
what do u have written down for abomasnow and/or breloom?

View attachment 398986

Hey, I lost against this line up a couple of times until I figured it out. The key vs this Cradily is that it always uses Stockpile until it reaches 3 stockpiles. You need to match its stockpiles with calm minds (no protect in between). Just spam calm mind 5 times, then ice beam 3 times to KO it (even with its Leftovers and leech seed recovery).

Raikou is useless vs this Cradily, if Sidney sends out Cradily vs your Raikou, switch Suicune in and calm mind straight away.

what do u have written down for abomasnow and/or breloom?
Ace Trainer Abbey with Abomasnow lead is one of the harder match-ups. This is where protect shines. The general idea is to stall 8 turns for the hail to end, so that you can consistently hit the Snow Cloak + Lax Incense Mamoswine (Froslass should be easy for Suicune).

Turn 1 Switch Suicune in, tank 1 blizzard
Turn 2 Protect
Turn 3 Garchomp in, tank Giga drain
Turn 4 Outrage, Abomasnow will KO Garchomp
Turn 5 Raikou in and Shadowball KO Abomasnow
Turn 6 Mamoswine in and EQ, switch Suicune in to tank
Turn 7 Protect
Turn 8 Calm mind

Hail ends

Turn 9+ Protect-scald to KO Mamoswine

The other match-ups where Abomasnow doesn't lead, you can set up and 1HKO it with Outrage.

With Breloom, make sure you setup the match-up to have Garchomp/Raikou using Extrasensory going into it, hit it hard and fast, especially the Substitute/Rock Tomb Breloom.

Ace Trainer Abbey with Abomasnow lead is one of the harder match-ups. This is where protect shines. The general idea is to stall 8 turns for the hail to end, so that you can consistently hit the Snow Cloak + Lax Incense Mamoswine (Froslass should be easy for Suicune).

Turn 1 Switch Suicune in, tank 1 blizzard
Turn 2 Protect
Turn 3 Garchomp in, tank Giga drain
Turn 4 Outrage, Abomasnow will KO Garchomp
Turn 5 Raikou in and Shadowball KO Abomasnow
Turn 6 Mamoswine in and EQ, switch Suicune in to tank
Turn 7 Protect
Turn 8 Calm mind

Hail ends

Turn 9+ Protect-scald to KO Mamoswine

The other match-ups where Abomasnow doesn't lead, you can set up and 1HKO it with Outrage.

With Breloom, make sure you setup the match-up to have Garchomp/Raikou using Extrasensory going into it, hit it hard and fast, especially the Substitute/Rock Tomb Breloom.
thanks.. does suicune have to take 3 earthquakes vs abbey? also have u ever gotten screwed by walrein? i hate these weather teams

thanks.. does suicune have to take 3 earthquakes vs abbey? also have u ever gotten screwed by walrein? i hate these weather teams
Yeah Suicune will take 3 Earthquakes, the last one is quite comfortable with hail ended + heal from protect and leftover. For Walrein you need Raikou alive, just 1HKO it with Thunderbolt, Suicune can't touch it.

And yeah, weather teams screwed me so many times. But I've enjoyed analyzing and figuring out the complex match-ups. There's another sunny + chlorophyll team with Ninetales/Venusaur/Shiftry that you need to stall out as well.

Last edited:
HELLO everyone i'm her etoday to talk about my new battle tower streak with streak 2001, the extra 1 is becasue it is a mutiple of seven 7.

the team I used was: garchomp and draogonite and salamence. as you can see this is a strong team with no shared weakness. i used the item choic

i lost to a trainer at batle 2002 beucase they used fissure quicjk calw, and i had no chance. because the dragonite was KO and salamence had ironball.. sucks to lose to hax..
can you share the moves, EVs etc.?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)