Pokémon Beedrill

Status
Not open for further replies.
->

Typing: Bug/Poison
Abilities: Swarm, Sniper (HA), Adaptability (Mega)
Stats: 65/90/40/45/80/75
Mega Stats: 65/150/40/15/80/145

Overview:
While beedrill itself is horrible in the current metagame, his mega evolution min-maxes his stats to become a decent threat.

Pros:
- Very high attack and speed stat
- Decent Coverage
- Has one of the best abilities in the game

Cons:
- God awful defenses
- No Priority
- Low BP moves
- Not the greatest STABs to abuse adaptability with.
- With horrible speed in his base form, protect is pretty much required
- Weak to Stealth rocks which isn't a good thing for a U-turner.

Notable moves:
Toxic
Toxic Spikes
U-turn
Drill run
Poison Jab
Knock Off
X-scissor
Protect
Substitute
Roost
Fell Stinger
Sword's Dance
Agility
Tailwind
Defog
Pursuit
Aerial Ace

Potentional Sets:

Not the Bees!
Beedrill @Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper->Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
Protect
U-turn
Poison Jab
Drill run/Knock off

This is pretty much his only usuable set. Protect is very vital to him as base 75 speed applying the turn you mega will be difficult to safely bring him to 145 speed. Protect has the added benefit of scouting pokemon and status stalling. U-turn hits very hard and makes beedrill difficult to revenge kill/check being able to gain momentum and bring in a counter. Poison jab is a secondary STAB option to hit fairies hard. Drill run is the better choice for a coverage move as he is able to OHKO otherwise walls such as heatran and magnezone. Knock off can cripple pokemon like gengar and knock off lando's leftovers however, it doesn't have much use after that. Jolly vs. Adamant nature is strictly personal preference, Jolly enables Beedrill to revenge kill HP fire sceptile and outspeed choice scarf heatran while adamant hits harder.

Team options:
Magnezone pairs extremely well with beedrill being able to shut down hazard laying walls such as ferrothorn. Defogers such as The lati twins and zapdos will help prolong beedrill's life. Rotom-W pairs in nearly perfect synergy being able to deal with birdspam, scizor's bullet punch, take fire hits, and ground immunity. Bisharp alongside Rotom-W gives the core psychic immunity and can pursuit trap potential checks such as choice scarf latios as well as provide priority in sucker punch.

Checks and Counters:
With U-turn beedrill can become very difficult to check as any switch ins he can easily escape from. Ferrothorn walls beedrill entirely as well as gets off iron barbs damage however one must be careful of beedrills paired with magnezone. Mega Scizor can take any hit of beedrill's and bullet punch or with beedrill's poor defenses simply pursuit trap. Landorus-t walls beedrill and can setup stealth rocks completely shutting it down although he must be cautious of knock off and poison hax. Skarmory can likewise do the same being resistant to both of his STAB moves, lay hazards, and whirlwind any stat boost from fell stinger, baton pass, and sword's dance. Although like ferrothorn, skarmory must be cautious of magnezone.
I'm curious as to why noone has thought of building an assassin/sweep set with Mega-Drill. By using beedrill as a revenge killer with the move Fell Stinger you can get a +2 attack boost and effectively sweep using that and beedrill's already impressive damage.
Here's a set i thought of on the fly
Beedrill@Beedrillite(? I'm assuming that's the name of the item)
X-Scissor
Poison Jab
Fell Stinger
Protect(? Maybe for baiting out priority moves so he doesn't have to take any big risks to his sweep)
Whenever an enemy pokemon knocks out one of your pokemon and you managed to get it to relatively low health switch in the Mega-Drill and use fell stinger. It should pick up the kill considering beedrill's stab and adaptability bonuses making it particularly effective. Once you get that bonus try to sweep from there with poison jab and x-scissor. If you can along the way, also pick up another Fell Stinger buff. Anyway, that's my two cents on the Mega-Drill.

I do not think that M-Beedrill can make great use of Fell Stinger let alone have a set built around it.
The main problem is that if the opponent switches out, Fell Stinger won't do a thing. If the opponent's
poke is low, you should just use U-Turn. Even if they switch, you benifit from the momentum that would
be lost if you use Fell Stinger.

Fell stinger is not only bad for the reasons mentioned above.. but even at +2 bug/poison STABs aren't the greatest for sweeping alone. His low base power moves are fixed by adaptability, but that won't even matter when one of your STABs does nothing to steels, the other is walled by steels, and drill run isn't any more powerful than a neutral hitting poison jab after a fell stinger boost (STAB+adapt vs. x2 SE) and most priority still OHKO's him so it isn't GG despite the scary attack. Beedrill's main niche is to be a late game cleaner and a momentum grabber throughout the match. When you're down to your last three pokemon and they're all weakened last thing they want to deal with is an adaptability base 150 attack and 145 speed pokemon.

Also, the highly situational fell stinger is outclassed by sword's dance anyway.. sword's dance atleast works if an opponent switches but either way neither move is any good on him.

Fell stinger is not only bad for the reasons mentioned above.. but even at +2 bug/poison STABs aren't the greatest for sweeping alone. His low base power moves are fixed by adaptability, but that won't even matter when one of your STABs does nothing to steels, the other is walled by steels, and drill run isn't any more powerful than a neutral hitting poison jab after a fell stinger boost (STAB+adapt vs. x2 SE) and most priority still OHKO's him so it isn't GG despite the scary attack. Beedrill's main niche is to be a late game cleaner and a momentum grabber throughout the match. When you're down to your last three pokemon and they're all weakened last thing they want to deal with is an adaptability base 150 attack and 145 speed pokemon.

Also, the highly situational fell stinger is outclassed by sword's dance anyway.. sword's dance atleast works if an opponent switches but either way neither move is any good on him.
good point, on both of those. It's a shame, i'm still waiting on a pokemon that can abuse fell stinger D:

Ehhh, not necessarily. The main draw of Fell Stinger is that you can simultaneously KO and get a +2 boost. A lot of people will not save a near-death pokemon if they see a Mega-Beedrill come in for the revenge kill (especially if they see a U-turn coming. They'd rather just sack someone). So you get a kill and a +2 boost. It's like the people who run Moxie on Pinsir before M-evolving it.

I completely agree that a +2 atk boost isn't very useful on Beedrill and isn't worth a moveslot. I just wanted to point out that there is some niche Fell Stinger has that Swords Dance doesn't. Now that I think of it, SD is really only better if the opponent uses Protect.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Fell Stinger is super weak even with Adaptability (fun fact: it would have been stronger with Technician) and it's not worth giving up a strong U-turn or safe Mega Evolution for. You're also not sweeping without a ton of shit dead, so just use hit-and-run tactics and don't lose your MEvo from getting greedy.

Fell Stinger is super weak even with Adaptability (fun fact: it would have been stronger with Technician) and it's not worth giving up a strong U-turn or safe Mega Evolution for. You're also not sweeping without a ton of shit dead, so just use hit-and-run tactics and don't lose your MEvo from getting greedy.
Couldn't have said it better myself. If your pokemon is meant to use hit and run tactics it has no business using a set up move. Especially one that is as sub-par as Fell Stinger. Even if you get that dream 2+ off, any steel or rock type stops it dead.

It's worth noting that non-boost Fell Stinger cannot OHKO anything. Adaptability and the attack boost make it a bit more viable but really its nothing special. Since Drill Run, Protect, and Poison Jab are a necessity, I don't see why this should use its bug-type moveslot for Fell Stinger that 2HKOs at the most. Beedrill is dangerous to keep around, especially late game, so relying on Fell Stinger for Bug-type STAB is useless since it should KO pokemon before they have a chance to touch it (because it will die easily since its defenses are god awful). Setting up with beedrill isn't really the best because its frail, so U-Turn should be the best move to run on Beedrill.

I honestly think Beedrill is best as a hit-and-run sweeper to minimize damage and capitalize on the switching out of pokemon. Beedrill really needs to take advantage of what it has so that it doesn't die easily. IMO endeavor is really gimmicky and it shouldn't even be close to getting down to that health to use it, since priority will guarantee kill it.

EDIT:
I'm pretty new when it comes to discussing strategies (I know how to play Smogon) so hopefully I don't make too many flubs :P

I want to use MegaBee, but I don't see a point considering I can use Banded Scizor and save my mega slot for Manectric, who doesn't worry about running protect and dying from priority.

I hope it isn't banned from UU, 'cause I don't think it will be great in this meta, especially with all these steels running around.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I honestly think endeavor would be fine. The last move slot is up in the air anyways.
Endeavor is really only useful on sashed Pokemon. Moreover, MegaBee is extremely frail, so it won't be living many hits with low HP. It's honestly better off with a fourth attack/Protect.

Just wondering on peoples opinions, drill run or knock off? Drill run obviously stops it being walled by steel types (well most), and gives it something to smack a SE attack on fire/rock types with, albeit if a team is being based around it magnezone may well be a U-turn away for steels and a water for fire/rock etc. Or do you go with knock off...cos its knock off.

Just wondering on peoples opinions, drill run or knock off? Drill run obviously stops it being walled by steel types (well most), and gives it something to smack a SE attack on fire/rock types with, albeit if a team is being based around it magnezone may well be a U-turn away for steels and a water for fire/rock etc. Or do you go with knock off...cos its knock off.
If you have to choose between one or the other, Knock Off is vastly superior to Drill Run. Knock Off hits Ghosts for SE damage, who resist your 2 STABs, but most importantly, it removes Shed Shells from your common counters such as Skarm and Ferro. Hitting them with Knock Off as they come in puts you in a ridiculously good position since you now click U-Turn and profit no matter what your opponent does from there. If they stay in they die to your Magnezone, if they switch out you get the initiative again and said Steel mons are no longer safe to come in on your U-Turns again in the future.

However, it's actually entirely possible to run both on the same set as dropping Protect is a viable option from what I have found in testing. U-Turn / Poison Jab / Knock Off / Drill Run works because there are a lot of mons that base form Beedrill can M-evolve on free of charge and U-Turn out without having to burn a move slot to do so, such as against slower opponents (pretty much any wall/tank), things that he threatens with his standard moves, and then also because your opponent will generally predict the protect since most people are using it and try to do something other than attack you.

I used a Beedrill team running the aforementioned set to win a showdown tourney just recently, these were some of the highlights of Beedrill putting in work, knocking off shed shells, gaining momentum, wearing stuff down, pivoting into fighting moves, and best of all nailing Heatran with an unexpected Drill Run;

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194151636
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194159316
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194145020

If you have to choose between one or the other, Knock Off ....
Cheers for the insight! I assume this beedrill is Jolly for sure? Running both would certainly work, will give it a go. I do see the big advantage of knocking off items, suppose my one issue would be are you not risking your beedrill trying to knock a shedshell off if you know you're not OHKO, this poor bug is rather fragile, then again I suppose something like Skarm is likely to assume you'll be U-turning out on it so not attack.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
imo Knock Off should always be used if you're running Magnezone (which most Beedrill teams run afaik), and otherwise, the choice basically boils down to hitting Heatran and Excadrill and hitting Gengar.

imo Knock Off should always be used if you're running Magnezone (which most Beedrill teams run afaik), and otherwise, the choice basically boils down to hitting Heatran and Excadrill and hitting Gengar.
It is also a good move for those predicted Lando-T switch ins, as they do tend to take the U-turn of Beedrill well. Which is where I find more utility for Knock off just to neuter Lando-T when possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)