Benjamin Butterfree (Aka Pokemon DeEvolution)

approved by imas and Eevee General

Banner By Chloe.
Benjamin Butterfree
Pokemon Evolution has been a staple in the games since day one, but the devolution of Pokemon has never really been experimented with.But now, it will finally be put to good use. In this metagame, Instead of fainting, all pokemon that have a prior evolution will devolve into that pokemon, and then faint once it's lowest stage of the evolution pokemon faints. Another special rule is, any move or ability that a higher stage evolution can have but a lower pokemon can't will be removed (Move) or Changed (Ability) once it devolves. Lets go into this a bit further with the Pokemon Talonflame.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Talonflame is running a standard offensive swords dance set. Once it faints it transforms into this Fletchinder.

Fletchinder @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Since Fletchinder can't learn Flare Blitz and Brave Bird, it is left not being able to do any damage, and thus completely useless.

Fletchling @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
While it's moveset and ability doesn't change, it's typing changes to normal/flying. Once this dies, it is gone for real.

Rules
Mechanic: Pokemon devolve when fainting, losing all moves and abilities that it's evolution had but it doesn't.
Clauses: OU Clauses
Bans: None Yet
Unbans: None Yet

Increased Viability: Pokemon that have Non-Eviolite Pre Evolutions that are viable

The two best examples of this are Weavile and Magnezone, which have pre evolutions that are viable without having to run eviolite. Sneasel and Magneton both have similar power and speed that make them viable to use when Weavile and Magnezone faint.

Decreased Viability: Legendary/Single Stage Pokemon (Ex: Klefki),

Legendary Pokemon are hugely Nerfed by the fact that they are a single stage pokemon.

Questions that will probably be asked
  • What do Mega evolutions do? (They don't count as another evolution. For instance my Mega Scizor will devolve into a Scyther
  • How do Items work? (If an item is Knocked Off or Consumed, It won't appear on the devolved pokemon.)
  • How do statuses work? (Same as items)
  • How do Stat Boosts work? (If a Garchomp sets up a swords dance, and then devolves into a Gabite, the +2 attack will disappear once it devolves.)

With all of this being said, I hope this Meta Achieves a lot of things, and I am interested in hearing what is said and tips for changes to be made

Last edited:

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
This is ... wow. What a neat meta. Porygon-Z (and Co) might be a good pokemon. Not a lot of pokemon retain viability as they go down, so a strong Fully Evolved pokemon could sweep through the remnants of the last bits of the other team.

If Mega Heracross uses Pin Missile on an Exeggutor, taking it out with the first two hits, does the attack forcefully end right there or does it proceed to use hit #3 against Exeggcute and take that out as well?

If Ditto transforms into a stage 3, does it get to use its extra lives? And if so, if its first life is gone and it switches out, does it switch back in permanently transformed into the stage 2?

If you're Choice locked into a move and devolve, are you still locked into that move? What if it's a move that's not in your devolved moveset, and hence lost? Likewise, what about any stat boosts you had such as from Belly Drum?

If Mega Heracross uses Pin Missile on an Exeggutor, taking it out with the first two hits, does the attack forcefully end right there or does it proceed to use hit #3 against Exeggcute and take that out as well?

If Ditto transforms into a stage 3, does it get to use its extra lives? And if so, if its first life is gone and it switches out, does it switch back in permanently transformed into the stage 2?

If you're Choice locked into a move and devolve, are you still locked into that move? What if it's a move that's not in your devolved moveset, and hence lost? Likewise, what about any stat boosts you had such as from Belly Drum?
1. The Attack Ends.
2. No (Ditto would still faint, it's just like a regular transform)
3. No to both.

I censor-bleeping love this idea. If it's unbanned, a I REALLY want to use Baton Pass Blaziken, since Combusken is my favorite Pokemon after all and just so happens to be a Middle Stage.

Specific things I could see being good or decent are Magmortar, since Magmar and even Magby have decent stats, Alakazam for obvious reasons, and Gengar for obvious reasons. Maybe also throw Bisharp in there as a threat, idk.

I censor-bleeping love this idea. If it's unbanned, a I REALLY want to use Baton Pass Blaziken, since Combusken is my favorite Pokemon after all and just so happens to be a Middle Stage.

Specific things I could see being good or decent are Magmortar, since Magmar and even Magby have decent stats, Alakazam for obvious reasons, and Gengar for obvious reasons. Maybe also throw Bisharp in there as a threat, idk.
I do like the idea (due to Torchic being my favorite Pokemon), but I highly doubt Blaziken will be unbanned (maybe regular form, definitely not mega form), but with good enough reasoning I think it could be unbanned

One thing that looks interesting is Blissey with Eviolite. When it deovolves, you have an standard Chansey, but it basically gets an extra life vs hax or physical attackers.
Something like Helmet Chomp can also do this, switching into moves that can KO it in order to get of chip multiple times on ladder. However, Many other pokemon have to be careful, as bulk setup sweepers can use the LC mons as setup bait.

Not gonna lie, I thought this was a spam thread based on the title.

But actually, this is legitimately the best new OM idea I've seen in a very long while. It even has some cool balancing effects by nerfing common legendaries like Lando-T and Keldeo without removing them entirely. Great work, and I hope it's not so difficult to code that it never sees the light of day (rest in peace Partners in Crime).

One thing I'm looking forward to seeing is Moxie. On a stage three evolution, you can potentially pick up +3 Attack on one Pokemon. Sadly Gyarados is probably too risky to be used for...obvious reasons.

Well then, I guess no one's going to be using Gyardos in this metagame.
Even so, this meta is looking pretty cool. I'm expecting to see pokemon like Mandibuzz and Togekiss become more common defogger due to then being some of the only options with viable pre-evolutions (besides togepi, who's practically useless).
I also wouldn't be surprised to see Staraptor become the tier's primary offensive bird. All its pre-evolutions learn brave bird and double edge, so Staraptor doesn't have to worry as much about dying from recoil. It also retains U-Turn throughout all its evolutions. However, you'll need to run final gambit over close combat if you want to keep your final slot intact. And it even retains Reckless all the way down! Staravia and Starly may not have the best stats, but with a choice scarf, they can remain moderately threatening.

If you have a Water Absorb Vaporeon (its only non-hidden ability) and it faints, how are you supposed to be able to specify whether the Eevee ends up with Adaptability (good) or Run Away (bad)?

Does a newly-devolved Pokemon take hazard damage when it revives?

Does Shedinja get to devolve into Ninjask, or does it continue to be a one-and-done wonder?

Something interesting to either take advantage of extra lives, or plow through extra lives, depending on your point of view:

Gigalith @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 Atk / whatever
Explosion
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Gigalith Explosion vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 393-463 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Boldore Explosion vs. 176 HP / 0 Def Mew: 385-454 (100 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Roggenrola Explosion vs. 252 HP / 20 Def Phione: 364-429 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

One thing that looks interesting is Blissey with Eviolite. When it deovolves, you have an standard Chansey, but it basically gets an extra life vs hax or physical attackers.
Running eviolithe on fat mons might just be a good idea overall, clefable can devolve into eviolithe cleffa, same for mandibuzz or ferrothorn that can still sorta do the job.

Also hazard leads might get a viability buff, stuff like scolipede can easily get every layer before all its form die and still have a ton of speed to pass.

Hey, I think Benjamin Butterfree is a really cool name, and it's creative. But it isn't super easy to understand from a standard player perspective, may I suggest you consider re-naming it to "DeEvolution"? or DE for short.

EDIT: Isn't about being memorable but easy to understand tbh

Last edited:
So if you use Swords Dance with one evolution then die, does your next form keep the boosts? I'm assuming no, but if yes, stuff like three-stage Dragon Dancers could be pretty great. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. After your Pokemon faints, do you choose which Pokemon on your team to send out next? Or does the next form remain on the field?

Hey, I think Benjamin Butterfree is a really cool name, and it's creative. But it isn't super easy to understand from a standard player perspective, may I suggest you consider re-naming it to "DeEvolution"? or DE for short.
Speak for yourself, I think most people remember Benjamin Button. DeEvolution is just pretty lame and generic-sounding imo. What do you mean by "standard player?" I think the "standard player" is smart enough to read the OP of a meta instead of judging it by name alone.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Fire Blast/Fire Punch
- Earthquake/Dragon Tail

A revenge killer with a ton of longevity, that can continue picking off opponents even if it devolves. Extreme Speed and Outrage are accessible by the entire Dragonite line, letting you deal decent damage even as a wee baby. Fire Blast is slashed because Dragonair and Dratini both learn it. You lose Earthquake when you become Dragonair, too, so Dragon Tail could be a neat utility alternative. Using a Choice Banded LC Pokemon in an OU-based tier sounds pretty absurd, but you need to remember that the opponents will also have LC pokemon.

Blissey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

A Blissey you have to kill twice. That sounds like fucking hell on earth to me. Unfortunately, Happiny's movepool is pathetically small, so it basically becomes a pivot switch that can Thunder Wave things. This is one of the things that is probably more effective in its second form, as the eviolite is pretty useless on Blissey. Still seems super good though. Removing Blissey can be a full-time job for some teams, and now it just became twice as hard.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail/Dragon Claw
- Endure/Fire Blast/Toxic

Every single one of Garchomp's forms has access to Stealth Rock and Earthquake, so the basics are down pat. Once you become a Gible, you can't really wall anything, which is why I slashed Endure. With Endure you can trade one-for-one against a lot of pokemon cause of all the recoil, letting you not be a completely dead weight. Of course you need to predict well, but being able to Endure one time per form can really screw up some offensive teams. Also, Gible and Gabite don't learn Dragon Tail, which is why I slashed Dragon Claw.

Forretress @ Custap Berry/Quick Claw
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Forretress makes a good suicide lead because Sturdy guarantees it at least one layer of hazards, and Custap Berry can guarantee it another. But in this, it gets ANOTHER chance to set up hazards with Pineco. You lose your Custap though, which doesn't help for suiciding, so I slashed Quick Claw too. Sturdy just seems pretty good in this since it prevents the weaker forms from instantly dying to any attack. Golem can do something similar, but Forretress was the only Sturdy user with a lot of hazards, besides Skarmory.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull/Sturdy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]/[Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Magnezone seems really viable cause it has 3 stages, and they all have pretty good Special Attack, and the second stage is actually quite viable, even in OU. In this meta, I think Magnezone will be able to run Sturdy more viably, since usually it only has one threat to trap during a match, and Sturdy prevents Magneton and Magnemite from dying in one hit to things, which really helps against offensive teams. Either way it seems like a great pick.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
And you thought Blissey/Chansey stayed around forever before.

If something Mega Evolves then dies does it just become the normal second stage?

Gliscor should be interesting, as it can be poison heal and then die and get immunity and be cured of poison.

Scizor -> Scyther sounds strong

Also if you move first and KO something, do they get to move with the devolved form that turn? That makes sweeps much more difficult.

If you mega evolve and then faint, the Pokemon will devolve into the prevo. So no

EDIT: Since i'm now back on a computer, I would like to say thank you for all the positive feedback. Now I will adress a few things

I actually made a mistake in the OP, in saying that Blissey and Co.'s viability was decreased, but a lot of posts made it clear that it is definently better than it is in standard.

For the name, I will add (Aka DeEvolution) to the end while keeping Benjamin Butterfree as the main title

Also readytolose those sets are all very nice.

I want to start up more discussion with the potential idea of Aegislash being unbanned. The main reason is, if you want to use it effectively in this meta, you would have to get rid of King Shield, because neither Doublade nor Honedge are able to learn it. Leaving Aegislash to either have to constantly switch to get back into it's shield form, or waste a moveslot on Doublade. This will not be an official vote, as this meta is nowhere near being coded*, and we can't really suspect it because of that.

*I would really like this to be coded if possible, but it might be too early to ask.

Last edited:

I want to start up more discussion with the potential idea of Aegislash being unbanned. The main reason is, if you want to use it effectively in this meta, you would have to get rid of King Shield, because neither Doublade nor Honedge are able to learn it. Leaving Aegislash to either have to constantly switch to get back into it's shield form, or waste a moveslot on Doublade. This will not be an official vote, as this meta is nowhere near being coded*, and we can't really suspect it because of that.
There's really no reason why you would HAVE to not run King's Shield, I mean running it is definitely worth having a 3 move Doublade afterwards. And you still get an Ubers mons that devolves into a UU mon (which isn't half bad).
Really one of the only issue would be that you're limited to physical sets if you don't want Doublade to be dead weight, but Shadow Sneak / Sacred Sword / Swords Dance / King's Shield is still pretty good as it easily carries down the evolutionary line.

I think in this case, no item Acrobatics for Talonflame is better than Sharp Beak Brave Bird, because it's prevo also learn Acrobatics.

Also, say if you have a Garchomp set up a SD and then you got killed. If you devolve, will you keep the stat changes or not? I mean, will Gabite still have the +2 boost? In the OP, you mention it isn't technically faint right, since the mon is still on the field? So, do you still keep the +2 boost?

Also, say if you have a Garchomp set up a SD and then you got killed. If you devolve, will you keep the stat changes or not? I mean, will Gabite still have the +2 boost? In the OP, you mention it isn't technically faint right, since the mon is still on the field? So, do you still keep the +2 boost?
No. I will add it to the OP to clarify

Stuff:
  • if your Pokemon faint before executing its move (it's slower than the opponent), will its devolved form continue the attack? And what if the attack was removed when it devolved?
  • if Poison Heal Gliscor devolved into Immunity Gligar, would the poison get removed?
  • if you use Healing Wish or Lunar Dance, what would these moves heal?
  • do Perish Song counts disappear when you devolve?
  • what about Stockpile counts? Fury Cutter?
  • Metronome (Item) counts?

Amazing meta, btw!

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Haunter and Gastly both have good SpA and Spe. You lose no moves when you devolve.
The icing on the cake is Destiny Bond. Gastly can kill off a fully-evolved Pokemon!

Aggron @ Shell Bell
Level: 5
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Endeavor

You get to do this three times. XD
Now find something to setup sandstorm or toxic spikes.

Edit: Legality

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
If you mega evolve and then faint, the Pokemon will devolve into the prevo. So no

EDIT: Since i'm now back on a computer, I would like to say thank you for all the positive feedback. Now I will adress a few things

I actually made a mistake in the OP, in saying that Blissey and Co.'s viability was decreased, but a lot of posts made it clear that it is definently better than it is in standard.

For the name, I will add (Aka DeEvolution) to the end while keeping Benjamin Butterfree as the main title

Also readytolose those sets are all very nice.

*I would really like this to be coded if possible, but it might be too early to ask.
I really don't think Aegislash would be worse here. Keep in mind this meta is just OU... until something faints. I would be extremely hesitant to unban something with ANY prevolutions, let alone one that's pretty good.

I think if you're going to unban anything it should be Mawilite, but I also think you should wait to do anything with this. This meta is brand spanking new.

Aggron @ Shell Bell
Level: 1
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Endeavor

You get to do this three times. XD
Now find something to setup sandstorm or toxic spikes.
Level 1 Aggron is illegal: even if you allow full-on G3 Pomeg glitch abuse, eggs back then hatched at level 5. Notably, a L5 Aggron has 22 HP, and likewise the lowest level you can get on a Magnezone is 6 (for 24 HP, too much to run Berry Juice/Recycle shenanigans with for wasting tons of PP).

Hey guys:

->
->

Serperior @ Leftovers / Eviolite / Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire / Giga Drain
- Glare
Meet your new serpentine overlords.

Oh, what's that? You lose your boosts after you die? That doesn't matter, click Leaf Storm again, there problem fixed! Plus, with an Eviolite, Servine and Snivy are pretty bulky, so if they get outsped, they'll take a hit or two. But your Pokemon might not.

Serperior is now the only viable setup sweeper I see, unless Malamar and Inkay somehow end up being good somehow.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Talonflame is running a standard offensive swords dance set. Once it faints it transforms into this Fletchinder.

Fletchinder @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Since Fletchinder can't learn Flare Blitz and Brave Bird, it is left not being able to do any damage, and thus completely useless.

Fletchling @ Sharp Beak
Serious Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
While it's moveset and ability doesn't change, it's typing changes to normal/flying. Once this dies, it is gone for real.
Uh...Pokémon don't change nature when they devolve, do they?

On another note, it looks like Hippowdon might be a better sand setter than Tyranitar because Hippo doesn't lose Sand Stream when it devolves. Shame about Drizzle because...well, Politoed. Then again, if Politoed gets rain up and dies, it gets double Speed as Poliwhirl (because Politoed's Hidden Ability is Drizzle and Poliwhirl's is Swift Swim). That seems...uh, cool, I guess? The issue, though, is how Poliwhirl's stats are more physically oriented, whereas those of Politoed are more specially oriented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)