Resource BSS Viability Rankings

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a member of the Site Staffis a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Battle Spot Leader
why does Reun just get blown back by Tyranitar in this game...?

hate to say it, but all of those replays were pretty awful. especially the last one where it was just a 145 turn switch-fest and Reun again had no actual impact. If these are the best replays you could cherry-pick then Reun is nowhere near viable imo

You're also basing your nomination on a set (double-boosting Iron Defense / Acid Armour) which is nowhere near its best / most common set...

#17Acid Armor0.9496284062758051%
#19Iron Defense0.7844756399669695%

combined 50% berry usage is 13% which makes it 4th most common item behind Psychium Z, Kee Berry and Life Orb.

This nomination is clearly based on a small sample size from PS mid-ladder. Since it has nothing to do with tournaments, PS high ladder or cart ladder at all I'm inclined to shelve it.

why does Reun just get blown back by Tyranitar in this game...?

hate to say it, but all of those replays were pretty awful. especially the last one where it was just a 145 turn switch-fest and Reun again had no actual impact. If these are the best replays you could cherry-pick then Reun is nowhere near viable imo

You're also basing your nomination on a set (double-boosting Iron Defense / Acid Armour) which is nowhere near its best / most common set...

#17Acid Armor0.9496284062758051%

#19Iron Defense0.7844756399669695%

combined 50% berry usage is 13% which makes it 4th most common item behind Psychium Z, Kee Berry and Life Orb.

This nomination is clearly based on a small sample size from PS mid-ladder. Since it has nothing to do with tournaments, PS high ladder or cart ladder at all I'm inclined to shelve it.
I am not sure about the replays as the one you quoted was certainly not a good example (though matchup wise in general reuniculus did well if you got rid of the ttar), but I could see reuniculus being warranted a C ranking considering the amount of stuff that is in there. I've used it once or twice and it's performed alright on some rachet balance team that I did end up using in a tour game. Do I think it is particularly good? Well it's alright and can work. Do I think it is better than Buzzwole or Rhyperior? Yes.

On another note, Mega Steelix is fantastic and should at least be C rank.

May I suggest another rise for Empoleon?

Something I have been having a lot of fun lately is Yawn+Whirlpool. This is something that can break bulky teams with extreme ease, and can open up great opportunities for more traditional trappers to come in for free on their intended targets. Even the humble Dugtrio can become a monster with this support. The best part is that Whirlpool's damage and trapping effect will still work during Misty Terrain, so you can catch the Tapu, wait for the terrain to run out and put it to sleep.

As for uniqueness, among other pokemon on the viability list, the only one that could potentially replicate this combo is Hippowdon. And while he has Earthquake to deal with Aegislash more reliably, he is more cramped with move slots, has extremely low special defense and often lacks enough power to get anything done on his own (not to mention Sand Tomb is ten times worse than Whirlpool, missing out key targets like Celesteela and Salamence).

Whirlpool is long from a one-trick-pony however. It can also have other situational uses like breaking Mymikiu's Disguise and Focus Sash in one go, get Hippowdon in range of a Scald KO without triggering his berry, or stacking damage with Toxic or Scald's burn against bulkier targets.

Last edited:
I realize how newbie I was making suggestions! I got to 1650 once!.....I fought an Emp with a yawn whirlpool set....I have nothing for Emp...

chemcoop

When in doubt, Rock Slide out!
is a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
May I suggest another rise for Empoleon?

Something I have been having a lot of fun lately is Yawn+Whirlpool. This is something that can break bulky teams with extreme ease, and can open up great opportunities for more traditional trappers to come in for free on their intended targets. Even the humble Dugtrio can become a monster with this support. The best part is that Whirlpool's damage and trapping effect will still work during Misty Terrain, so you can catch the Tapu, wait for the terrain to run out and put it to sleep.

As for uniqueness, among other pokemon on the viability list, the only one that could potentially replicate this combo is Hippowdon. And while he has Earthquake to deal with Aegislash more reliably, he is more cramped with move slots, has extremely low special defense and often lacks enough power to get anything done on his own (not to mention Sand Tomb is ten times worse than Whirlpool, missing out key targets like Celesteela and Salamence).

Whirlpool is long from a one-trick-pony however. It can also have other situational uses like breaking Mymikiu's Disguise and Focus Sash in one go, get Hippowdon in range of a Scald KO without triggering his berry, or stacking damage with Toxic or Scald's burn against bulkier targets.
Gonna have to say no on this one. Trapping in general is not a particularly good strategy, and definitely not one of the main ways Empoleon is used given that Whirlpool has less than 1% usage on it. This indicates that Whirlpool trapping isn't really a new niche that Empoleon has developed since it was originally ranked and thus is deserving of bumping it up to B.

I think Empoleon in B- is fine, though C could work too. Its usage has been dropping every season since its peak in S11 and it never seems to do much whenever I play it on cart.

Hey Smogon, it's Ika again with another Snorlax nomination.

I think it is time that we put Snorlax from A- -> A.

Snorlax has only continued to rise as a metagame threat, now sitting at 21st in usage behind Naganadel and I have no doubt that it will be staying there for the rest of the generation. I think the mark of a threat that is in A tier as opposed to A- is how much it warps the meta around it and how much it is considered in teambuilding. The majority of pokemon in A- aren't generally specifically considered at the first or even second stage of teambuilding. Most teambuilders have always thought about Porygon2 when creating teams, now Snorlax is also being thought about in the same vein. I believe that the rise in Mega Lopunny, Mega Lucario and in particular Aegislash is very much because of Snorlax.

The other thing that has changed is that as top nouthuca players have had more chance to develop Snorlax, the number of tools in its arsenal has increased. The most notable example of this is double edge snorlax to give more control over bulky berry procs. Another major development is using counter to take out opposing physical threats designed to take on bulky normals such as hammer arm mega metagross on phaser sets. This is on top of all the things I mentioned in my last post.

Not of note but interesting is that snorlax is one of the few non-sturdy pokemon that can effectively use custap berry.

Anyways, those are my current thoughts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)