Bug Reports v3 [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On cart sand spit is activated whenever Sandaconda is hit with an attack regardless of whether or not the attack is a contact move.
This applies to max moves as well. for example if a ludicolo dynamaxes and uses max geyser, the rain will activate first, then sand spit will activate causing sandstorm.

the attached replay shows this mechanic working incorrectly on the showdown VGC2020 ladder. replay: conda vs pineapple

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Sadly, no one seems to escape this fate, was this a failure of the server or was it a Ddos attack?, unless it is privately owned by Smogon and has malfunctioned it would seem as the later option is more likely.
We are not under a DDOS attack, there's something wrong with the network on our service provider's end and we are in contact with them to have it fixed. We cannot fix it ourselves.

We are not under a DDOS attack, there's something wrong with the network on our service provider's end and we are in contact with them to have it fixed. We cannot fix it ourselves.
Ok, good to know, on the meanwhile I am finishing a Hoeen Nuzlocke i had started a while back btw (; .

22:32 GTM +1, just lost my first Nuzlocke to a rain boosted dragon dance kingdra sweep on the 8th gym, one could say, mentioning it out loud jinxed me.

Last edited:
Introduction
This thread is specifically for reporting Pokémon Showdown bugs with battle mechanics or chat commands.

If you have a different issue, there is probably another thread somewhere related to that topic:
Want to ask a question and not report a bug? Use the Simple Question Simple Answer thread.
Having trouble connecting to the main server? Use the Technical Support thread.
Want to request a feature? Use the Suggestions thread.
If your bug is about the Damage Calculator, it has its own dedicated thread.
If your issue is with the current-gen sprites, check the Model Fixing thread.
Got a really terrible Random Battle set? Report it in the Singles or Doubles thread.

In all cases, be sure to read the first post of the thread you're posting in!

Rules
Before reporting a bug,
  • Check the lists of Not Bugs and Known Bugs below.
  • Look up the relevant Pokemon/moves/Abilities/items on the PSdex and the first post of the Smogon Research thread. If neither source explains the behaviour you saw, consider asking about it in the Help room. If no one there can explain it, feel free to post the bug here.
  • Make sure your opponent's Pokemon isn't Zorua or Zoroark.
  • Depending on the situation, save a replay (the View attachment 115618button, or alternately the "/savereplay" command) or take a screenshot to include in your post.
  • Make sure no one has reported this bug on, say, the last page or two of the thread. No one expects you to go through the whole thread, but it's kind of ridiculous when three posts in a row report the same problem.
  • Make sure this bug exists on the official server, with no custom styles enabled.
If you are posting a large screenshot, please put HIDE tags around it. [HIDE]a screenshot[/HIDE]

Known Mechanics Bugs

NOT BUGS

- Air Lock and Cloud Nine do not actually end weather or prevent weather from beginning, just stop its effects while the Pokemon is active.
- Hypnosis, Sand Attack, Glare, Eerie Impulse, and Gastro Acid can hit Dark, Flying, Ghost, Ground, and Steel types, respectively. The only Status move that checks type immunity is Thunder Wave.
- Sheer Force prevents the user's Life Orb recoil and Shell Bell recovery, as well as the target's Color Change, Emergency Exit, Pickpocket, Wimp Out, Red Card, Eject Button, Kee Berry, and Maranga Berry from activating only when using moves that have a secondary effect removed by Sheer Force.
- Speed Boost does not activate on the turn you switch in: yes, this is different from most other abilities/items that activate at the end of a turn.
- If Fake Out didn't cause a flinch, your opponent probably had Shield Dust or Inner Focus, or your Pokemon had Sheer Force.
- Wish doesn't take effect if the Pokemon in its place faints the turn it would've healed it.
- Wonder Guard is not an immunity: Shedinja is not immune to Ground: it takes damage from Spikes. Shedinja is not immune to Poison: it is still affected by Toxic
- That Pokemon taking incorrect hazard damage is probably a Zoroark (which is a Dark, not a Bug, lolololol)
- Payback boosts damage for moving second, whether or not damage was taken. Also, since Gen 5, its power is not doubled if the opponent switches.
- Pursuit will deal double damage immediately before any switch-out, as long as Pursuit has not been used at regular priority yet. This includes U-turn and Volt Switch, but not Baton Pass.
- Sucker Punch fails if the target uses a faster priority move.
- Illusion, Air Balloon, Destiny Bond, Wonder Guard, etc only take effect if the damage was from a move, not an indirect effect such as entry hazards, Poison damage, etc.
- Destiny Bond lasts until the move user makes another move (or would've made another move, if not for confusion or Truant or a similar effect).
- Focus Sash and Sturdy affect all move damage (including static damage moves like Final Gambit, Seismic Toss, SonicBoom, and Counter).
- Outrage/Thrash/Petal Dance can be stopped during effect and not cause confusion if Protect/Detect is used on the second turn of a three-turn duration.
- If the user faints from Iron Barbs/Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet damage, Rapid Spin does not remove hazards, and Knock Off does not remove the target's item.
- Since Gen 5, a Flying-type Pokemon holding Iron Ball takes neutral damage from Ground-type moves regardless of its other type(s), unless another effect is also grounding it.
- Roost removes the user's Flying type for the rest of the turn only if the user was successfully healed.
- A status condition remains on a Pokemon even if it later gains a typing that makes it immune to that status condition.
- Doom Desire/Future Sight do not get boosts from the user's item or Ability if the user is not active when the move hits.

ALSO NOT BUGS (XY Mechanics)
- Arceus is affected by Trick or Treat and Forest's Curse.
- The turn a Pokemon Mega Evolves, its place in turn order is decided before Mega Evolution actually happens. Thus, Mega Banette's Prankster will only be effective after the first turn, while a Chlorophyll Venusaur will still be likely to move first under sun the turn it Mega Evolves. This idea also applies to previous gens: e.g. in Doubles, if a Pokemon is paralyzed by a foe, its turn order won't be affected that turn.
- Ghosts cannot be trapped by any means.
- When used by a Poison type, Toxic has a No Guard-like effect, never missing even during semi-invulnerable turns.
- Powder moves, as well as the Effect Spore Ability, don't affect Pokemon with the Grass type, the Overcoat Ability, or Safety Googles.
- Sound moves, as well as the Infiltrator Ability, bypass substitutes.

EVEN MORE NOT BUGS (SM Mechanics)
- Dark types are immune to Status moves used by opposing Pokemon with Prankster.
- Unlike Gen 6, turn order is now decided after Mega Evolution, so, for example, Mega Pinsir will act on its 105 base Speed the turn it Mega Evolves rather than the turns after.
- Terrains only benefit grounded Pokemon. For example, Celesteela would still be hit by priority moves under the effects of Psychic Terrain.

NOT BUGS 3.0 (SS Mechanics)
- Weight-based moves (Heavy Slam, Low Kick, etc.) fails when used against a dynamaxed target.
- Heavy-Duty Boots is a held item that negate all hazards, so Pokémon using this won't take Stealth Rock damage or get poisoned by Toxic Spikes.

There are three types of damage: Move damage, residual damage, and direct damage.

Most abilities, moves, and items that affect damage will only affect one type of damage: either move damage or residual damage. There are zero effects that apply to direct damage. The only effect that applies to both move and residual damage is Heatproof.

Examples of move damage:
- damage dealt, during a move that hits, to the target(s) of a Physical or Special move
- includes static damage: Final Gambit, Seismic Toss, SonicBoom, and Counter
- does not include the secondary target of Flame Burst (which would be residual damage)

Examples of direct damage:
- hurting yourself in confusion
- damaging yourself during Substitute, Curse, Belly Drum, or Struggle (but not the damage to your opponent, if applicable)
- does NOT include other forms of recoil (which would be residual damage)

Examples of residual damage:
- all other damage
- includes recoil, poison/burn, Leech Seed, weather, hazards, damage from abilities, damage from items...

Things that affect move damage only:
- Wonder Guard
- Sturdy, Focus Sash, Focus Band, Endeavor
- Illusion, Balloon, Destiny Bond

Things that affect residual damage only:
- Magic Guard
- most other effects only affect specific types of residual damage, such as: Poison Heal (poison damage), Rock Head (recoil damage)
There is a bug not fixed on showdown.
Healing wish will not "heal" the pokemon that comes in next if it has full HP; it will heal the next pokemon that comes in that has prior damage/status.
not my vid, but it shows;
1. Rhyperior takes prior damage, then switches out
2. hatterene uses healing wish
3. reniculus comes in, but because it has no HP reducted and no status, healing wish does not work
4. Rhyperior comes back in, and gets the HP from healing wish
because showdown is currently unable to save replays, I dont have any, but I will once I am okay to save replays.

i couldn't save a replay but I was Dhelmise and used anchor shot on a Ribombee with focus sash and he was still able to switch out. idk if thats a game mechanic or what lol.

I do not know if this is normal behaviour, and I forgot to take a screenshot, but this is the run down of what happened to me in one of my last fights in random battles. I didn't use Dynamax beforehand.

Turn X : My opponent (Gengar) uses Sludge Wave, I (Frosmoth) use Quiver Dance.
Turn X+1 : I use Ice Beam, and Gengar's Cursed Body disables Ice Beam. My opponent then uses Encore.
At Turn X+2, I was locked into Struggle (which is what should happen I think) but was unable to Dynamax (which is what I'm not sure if it's normal behavior or not).

The option simply didn't show. My initial assumption would have been that I could have "freed" myself from the Encore using Dynamax, as can be done in general. Any enlightment on this?

Last edited:
I do not know if this is normal behaviour, and I forgot to take a screenshot, but this is the run down of what happened to me in one of my last fights. I didn't use Dynamax beforehand.

Turn X+1 : I use Ice Beam, and Gengar's Cursed Body disables Ice Beam. My opponent then uses Encore.
At Turn X+2, I was locked into Struggle (which is what should happen I think) but was unable to Dynamax (which is what I'm not sure if it's normal behavior or not).

The option simply didn't show. My initial assumption would have been that I could have "freed" myself from the Encore using Dynamax, as can be done in general. Any enlightment on this?
dynamax got banned bruh

queso

too cheesy
is a Tiering Contributor
I do not know if this is normal behaviour, and I forgot to take a screenshot, but this is the run down of what happened to me in one of my last fights in random battles. I didn't use Dynamax beforehand.

In game, as far as I'm aware, in that scenario as soon as you pressed fight to try to select a move or dynamax, you would auto use struggle because from the game's point of view you don't have any valid moves and it never lets you choose to use struggle.

I think Fly and Dig were programmed wrong in Gen 1, because the pokemon should be immune to the majority of attacks when It uses the first turn right? Well thats not happening...every attack is hitting...thunderbolt, slash (as seen below), body slam, you name it...

"
The opposing Dugtrio used Dig!
The opposing Dugtrio burrowed its way under the ground!

Persian used Slash!
The foe Dugtrio can't be hit underground!
A critical hit!
[DEBUG] Negating (sp)atk boost/penalty..
[DEBUG] Negating (sp)def boost/penalty..
(The opposing Dugtrio lost 74.7% of its health!)"

I know fly and dig were banned but me and my friends like to play in Gen 1 Custom Game exactly how it was in original gen 1.

Thanks guys

In game, as far as I'm aware, in that scenario as soon as you pressed fight to try to select a move or dynamax, you would auto use struggle because from the game's point of view you don't have any valid moves and it never lets you choose to use struggle.
That would make sense. I have never been in a situation in-game where I would use struggle so I don't know how it works in-game. Might test that tomorrow for curiosity. Thanks!

Azurill'sBestFriend

I COULD BE BANNED!
i couldn't save a replay but I was Dhelmise and used anchor shot on a Ribombee with focus sash and he was still able to switch out. idk if thats a game mechanic or what lol.
Ribombee has the ability Shield Dust:
This Pokemon is not affected by the secondary effect of another Pokemon's attack.

On cart sand spit is activated whenever Sandaconda is hit with an attack regardless of whether or not the attack is a contact move.
This applies to max moves as well. for example if a ludicolo dynamaxes and uses max geyser, the rain will activate first, then sand spit will activate causing sandstorm.

the attached replay shows this mechanic working incorrectly on the showdown VGC2020 ladder. replay: conda vs pineapple
So someone updated sand spit to activate on moves that do not make contact (you are the bomb mystery admin) but the interaction with max moves and weather is reversed from what happens on cart. In this replay Sandaconda is hit with a max hailstorm causing sand spit to activate. on cart sandspit would activate after hail begins as an effect of the max move. This interaction still needs a bit of updating. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2020-1031774483

I was playing VGC 2020, and I had had bad rng and was talking about it with my rival, I was waiting for the timer to run out and lose. However, when it ran out instead of losing, the game played for me while I was in the chat, and it did so twice!, before he finished me off. Is this intended behaviour of a bot you have programed or what!

Dawn of ares:
as was just said, snooze has a 50 % chance to activate yawn. Look down in the "secondary effect" section.
https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-swsh/g-maxsnooze.shtml
I looked at the link. Shouldn't the 50% show on showdown then (I assume it's already put in suggestions)? It would stop confusion for those (such as I) who use Showdown as a primary source for teambuilding and info.

G-Max Snooze Dark Physical Power10 Accuracy— PP8
Afflicts foes with Yawn. BP scales w/ base move.
Priority: 0 |  Gen: 8 |  ✓ Bypasses Protect |  ✓ Max Move |  User: Grimmsnarl-Gmax |  Target: One Adjacent Opposing Pokémon

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I was playing VGC 2020, and I had had bad rng and was talking about it with my rival, I was waiting for the timer to run out and lose. However, when it ran out instead of losing, the game played for me while I was in the chat, and it did so twice!, before he finished me off. Is this intended behaviour of a bot you have programed or what!
It's not a bot, but rather this is cartridge behavior - if you run out of time on cartridge, the game will automatically pick the first move in your Pokemon's moveslot and just use that (if it's a single-target attack, it will randomly target either opponent). Any format that implements a cartridge timer will follow this behavior.

As an aside, if you are finished with a game and don't wish to play anymore, it's better to forfeit (by typing "/forfeit" in chat or clicking x on the battle in Showdown) than to wait out the full timer going to 0.

It's not a bot, but rather this is cartridge behavior - if you run out of time on cartridge, the game will automatically pick the first move in your Pokemon's moveslot and just use that (if it's a single-target attack, it will randomly target either opponent). Any format that implements a cartridge timer will follow this behavior.

As an aside, if you are finished with a game and don't wish to play anymore, it's better to forfeit (by typing "/forfeit" in chat or clicking x on the battle in Showdown) than to wait out the full timer going to 0.
I just wanted to talk to him about he match, since forbeiting closes the match, which is what I do like 95% of the time, but since high horsepower with 95% accuracy had missed against a x 3.5 Attack Rhyperior, I decided to make an exception, it's good to know no ghosts types were playing any tricks though, thanks for the information.

Dawn of Ares

Power of Athena!
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I just wanted to talk to him about he match, since forbeiting closes the match, which is what I do like 95% of the time, but since high horsepower with 95% accuracy had missed against a x 3.5 Attack Rhyperior, I decided to make an exception, it's good to know no ghosts types were playing any tricks though, thanks for the information.
typing the aforementioned command does not close the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)