Singles Build Around That (Battle Spot Special 13)

What core next

• Mimikyu ditto(set up stop)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Toxapex tapu bulu metagross -mega(gterrain abuse)

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • 3 tapus (for fun)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sun

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Salamence -Mega,Aegislash(cooooommmmooonnn)

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Cant Say

(Will make a banner if this becomes popular)

General wording stolen from Darkinium’s Lure That Threat which was stolen from other threads all with slight changes by myself. Approved by Cant Say

Welcome, Battle Spot Singles players! We all know that building around a core/Pokemon is how you start teambuilding. The goal of this thread is to see who is the very best, at least at teambuilding. These teams can also help newer players use teams outside of the Sample Team Thread which I still recommend to newer players. By participating you are improving your teambuilding skills and learning more about the metagame!
Procedure:

Every round, a core/Pokemon nominated by the Battle Spot community wbuilt around.You will then nominate one Team that you believe can do well in the metagame, with a clear explanation of how exactly they do that.
Each Build Around That will consist of five days for posting nominations and two days for voting. The new core/Pokemon will be announced on the same day as the previous week's winner.
After the deadline, there are two where everyone can vote on which set they think is best. Bandwagon votes are illegal and will result in your vote being void.
Once the results are in, the winner's set will be archived and the next core/Pokemon will be announced.
Rules:

Your nomination must include an importable team.
When nominating your team, include how it can deal with hard matchups and what threatens the team, how it works, and how effective it is in the Battle Spot metagame. Damage calcs are especially useful for helping back up your nomination (although are not compulsory). You can find the damage calculator here. BSS CALC or General Calc
Your team must hold some sort of viability in the metagame. Niche Pokemon are perfectly fine, but don't go with Pokemon hold minuscule viability like Pikachu and Electivire. The viability rankings are your best friend and will give you a great guideline of what kind of Pokemon you should be looking at (but also feel free to be creative and stem away from this if you're feeling saucy!)
Respect other player's nominations. You may not agree with what they say, but in the end it is their nomination. Feel free to leave opinions, but don't be rude about it.
There is to be strictly no modification of your nomination after the five-day deadline. Changes in votes are allowed, but must be done within the two day deadline.

Keep this in mind when you post a team:

• Is this too similar to a team from the QR rental in PGL or any other site I WILL CHECK please check yourself. If you are not sure feel free to contact me on showdown (Monsareeasy,MONSAREIMPOSSIBLE,Arcticcccc)are my main alts, I’m on a lot.
  • Did another user help you build this team? If you answered yes give them credit.
  • Would it be good? I encourage you to test it to see if it would be, if you do not have time I completely understand.
  • Crazy explained ev spreads make people attracted to your team, but are not vital.
  • If you post a team you are expected to vote for another team.
  • It can be built before I announced the core, but if it's really old it probably does not fit into the metagame.

If you plan on making a team next round include what core/Pokemon you want next in your post. If there are ties it is MY DECISION

If you would like to do a core/Pokemon vote for one of these and add a suggestion to be in the poll and I’ll try to include it.

Example post

(Title)

Team

Building process, Explanation, How to use it.

Previous Winners
R1
Tox
https://pokepast.es/2efefba8f0ecc90a
Moose And Goose
https://pokepast.es/fa0ce67610dfe813
-------------------------------------------------------------------
R2
Devilican
https://pokepast.es/1cf88cb024668d37
Moose And Goose
https://pokepast.es/c7e809870c46a622

Last edited:
Mega Camerupt.jpg
stakataka.jpg

FIRST BUILD AROUND THAT POKEMON WILL BE BASED AROUND STAKATAKA AND CAMERUPT-MEGA.

YOU CAN POST A TEAM WEDNESDAY - SUNDAY EST(GMT-4).
YOU CAN VOTE MONDAY - WEDNESDAY EST (GMT-4).

Free Gold (Stakataka) @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Magma (Camerupt-Mega) (M) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Ancient Power/Rock Slide
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Fire Blast/stealth rocks

Moonlight (Cresselia) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance
- Psychic
- Moonlight

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Focus Punch/Ice Shard/Growth/Sheer Cold

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Ice Beam
- Gravity

Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Play Rough
stakataka.jpg
Mega Camerupt.jpg
Cresselia.png
Mega Abamasnow.jpg
P2.jpg
Busted ooooooooohhhhh.png
when I first started building this team i wanted it to be fun but still be able to function well. Choice banded stakataka is able to do very impressive damage and has the defense to switch in. My camel is raw power and potentially stealth rocks. Hp ice hits mega Salamence while rock moves deal much higher damage to the majority of other flying types. Next cresselia was added. Cresselia is the pokemon that deals with spore is immune to ground attacks which helps camel a nd stakataka very well.psychic helps with mega venusaur breloom and much more. Mega snow gives me weather control something very hard to switch into hippo killer mence killer.focus punch let's you break through p2 chansey without recoil. Ic e shard helps against lando + naganadel and mence dnite much more growth let's you go insane with spa but costs a tr turn and sheer cold is broken next is p2. This p2 is standard tra n beating p2 besides gravity.gravity let's mega camel spam ep and win in some match ups auto. Mimikyu gives us taunt for bp sd priority and a strong z move stops auto wins

Last edited:

I made this team in about 15 minutes so do not judge too much and it was a core I kind of struggled to build a balanced team around in a serious manner so the team is very wonky, though it was fun.

This is what I ended up with:

https://pokepast.es/63a5a6fb2e2a2268

A few things stuck out to me immediately with Stakataka/Mega Camel as a duo:

1. Trick Room - I thought this was pretty obvious given the speed tiers
2. Ground/Water Type Weakness - Immediately apparent as a huge issue

I pretty much knew that Camel was going to be 4 attacks, max spa so I discarded that for the meantime and played around a bit with stakataka.

Originally I had a balloon stakataka with dual screens, trick room and magic coat and if this was one of my meme teams I would have kept it but I was not brave enough. I ended up going with sash OTR with the excellent coverage of EQ/Stone Edge/Gyro Ball, lonely with 17 def IVs to guarantee attack Beast Boost.

I added on Porygon2, the best trick room mon (other than mega mawile but we have that covered above) and originally had the suicide P2 spread, before deciding on bolt-beam, recover trick room, mixed trace P2. I liked the utility of trace, being able to intimidate Landorus-T as well as copy the flash fire on Heatran and better determine Greninja sets. Recover allows P2 to fill a dual role, otherwise this team would get ran over by greninja. I was considering foul play over tbolt for mega metagross/salamence but I think Ice beam is probably enough.

Once I had my trick room pairings there, I looked at pokemon that could work under the rooms but did not need to. I did not want the team to be reliant on rooms. I think camel can do stuff outside of rooms, so can the p2 set, with the utility of the sash, stakataka does not need to set up rooms to be useful either.

The best decision of this team was probably to place AV Tapu Bulu. Tapu Bulu is the crutch that supports the rest of the team with its grass terrain as well as being a tapu check in general. It also comes with the benefit of beating hippowdon and mega gyara which can give camel/stakataka trouble. At this point I had HP ice on camel, but decided to change that out for nature power to take advantage of terrains vs. hippowdon and bulky waters and a few niche uses such as using opposing fini terrain vs mence (mostly gonna be clicking stabs tbh).

Then I added Gross. I wanted a mega that could stand up to mega mence as well as just be a general menace to the opponent. Can switch into tapu lele too if need be. Iron head, the dual punches for lando/mence/fini and then toxic for p2/snorlax. Was considering hammer arm here or stomping tantrum.

Lastly Azu, just a secondary mence check, the main mega blaziken check as well as a volc check, knock to bait in p2, normalium-z belly drum but doesn't really need using too much.

Probably if I had more time, I'd have tweaked some of the EV spreads, but it was more a general idea.

Played a few games, had about a 50% winrate at the 1200-1300 stage, this team in my mind needed quite some adjustments to not be crap and get into 1500s which I've made at least in my own teambuilder though I'll leave the original up as I have no idea whether those will work either. Nothing of note really in battles other than that stakataka as usual broke:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-825040788

Last edited:

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Just for clarification, do we have to use both in our team or just one? Im interested in using mega camel on balance but less so for using both and (imo) only fitting them on some sort of trick room. Thanks for hosting regardless!

https://pokepast.es/fa0ce67610dfe813
Here's some good stuff. I'd like to say that when ooking at Camerupt and Stakataka you know you need help with ground and water, which means that air baloon is almost a must on staka to have the highest chance not to autolose to a well played ground type, which is also why araquanid is super important so that you can hit ground types really hard. Don't worry about water types because they are bad (just hope you don't run into any if you use this team). In all seriousness you need to use mimi to beat most water types (gren isn't too bad from the games I played against it).

Stakataka is lonely attack boosting because that's good. I'm using air baloon so you can switch into lando and set up TR on a predicted EQ. I didn't go for band because personally I don't love not being able to set up TR on stakkkkk.

M-Camerupt is simple with rock slide over ancient power because you'll never want to use a rock move on anything other than zard or volc, so you might as well be able to kill boosted volcs. The bulk is so that you can survive a 4atk lando eq and most moves coming from blaziken.

The rest of the team is to kill random things that the big 2 don't like. Araquanid can beat blaziken frequently, along with doing a lot of damage. Sleep talk is for breloom because otherwise it takes a dump on everything other than Amoo, which in all fairness wins about 100% of the time but w/e it's not like spider boi has much else to use (webs is bad here mainly)

I would have liked to use an offensive p2, but I needed something that kills meta better in case no TR. The evs are for lele and meta I think. Thunderbolt might be a good option over recover to hit gyarados.

Mimikyu is a godsend

Amoo is not breloom but it has bulk.

Replay: (I forgot to save any replays so I played through losing to bulldoze azu and self-destruct Lax to get this where camerupt winz)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-825010396
e:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-825137066
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-825735180

I really like the idea of this thread because this is basically what I do every week when building teams anyways :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Cool looking teams, one thing that I should mention that is tiny but you never know might benefit you guys working around Beast Boost. If you have two stats the same, Beast Boost selects the boost in order Attack -> Defence -> Special Attack -> Special Defence -> Speed, so in the case of Stakataka, you can actually have attack = defence and you will still get the attack beast boost.

The opposite funnily enough can be said for download, which will increase special attack if defence = special defence so with some mons that have the same defence and spdef like naganadel, kangaskhan, blaziken, pheromosa and aegislash, you can change to whatever you want using IVs if you deem it necessary if you aren't putting anything into either stat. You can even do funny stuff like 25 def IV careful hippo if you want to be an utter knob.

cameruptm.png

https://pokepast.es/2efefba8f0ecc90a

Throwing my hat into the ring since I actually enjoyed playing slightly over a dozen TR Camerupt/mixed Life Orb Celesteela games on cart back in May. Admittedly, part of the fun was that the suropoke Trick Room options sometimes stumble onto the victory screen all by themselves, so I'm consciously throwing them out for this.

But yeah, when presented with tools so obviously telegraphing Trick Room, I made a team with little staying power
and tried to fit in a few fringe options for things that seek to check TR.

Exeggutor-A:
Disposable Trick Room setter that ideally trades against something to preserve Trick Room turns. Momentum.

Camerupt:
Fissure: Have an out for when you get outdrafted, end up outside of Trick Room and get all your damage Recovered, Roosted, Slack Offed etc. As for other options: Outside Hydreigon, this team can't really take advantage of running Toxic on this, and Substitute doesn't stop Camerupt from getting walled even though it's often free in Trick Room when your turns get wasted by Protect, King's Shield or double-switching.

Stakataka:
Trick Room allinning from the physical side. Not very excited about a mon this one-dimensional. Hopefully someone can turn me around on it.

Primarina:
Live a single hit from unboosted Mimikyu Snuggle, +252 D-E Salamence, anything up to Power Whip from 0 att Ferrothorn as well as anything +speed Metagross can muster up. This also lives Psychic/Psyshock from non-specs/Z-move Lele. Modest Charizard Y Solarbeam needs a ~19% high roll to OHKO. Timid 252spatt Thundurus needs to Z-move to oneshot. There's definitely room for further optimization, but dropping much more spatt means you aren't guaranteed to Operetta oneshot some of the more popular offensive/wallbreaker stuff while still outspeeding in Trick Room. Which would be unfortunate since that is what you'd principally be bringing Prim for in the first place.

Hydreigon:
Decent option against defensive/stall play that also bullies most Fini sets. This would be the slot for a powerful wallbreaker like Flame Charge SD Charizard X or Taunt DD Mega Gyarados, but I went with empowering Camerupt some more instead.

Muk:
Realize you're playing Trick Room without Mawile, weep, and bring this as your final mon win-con à la CurseLax. Coming in with TR momentum ideally nets the crucial few first boosts. You should be able to tell from the preview screen whether answers for Muk are likely.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
hi i built this it's very bad

https://pokepast.es/a6d0f1e84c1b21cf

basically whenever i see a core on one of these things that's very obviously designed for trick room, my first response is to say "fuck you, i'm not using trick room" and that's basically what i did. as mentioned before, the big issues with this core are the stacked (heh) weaknesses and the general reliance on trick room, and so i had to play to their other strengths and pick teammates that fit best with the reactive balance build that these mons fit into best. what are those strengths? well, stakataka has some nasty weaknesses, but it can also 1v1 several nasty meta threats such as naganadel, mimikyu and aegislash, so i went with an av set to ensure i could always check special attackers that lacked fighting coverage. camerupt also has a glaring weakness to water, but due to its bulk and typing, it stands out as one of the best offensive electric checks in the game, gaining momentum off tapu koko, zapdos and thundurus-t (among others) with ease. it also acts as a decent wallbreaker, taking little from p2's attacks and inflicting toxic.

the first teammate i picked here was sash tapu koko. koko is a great boon for dealing with offensive builds and for soft-checking scary water-types like gyarados, tapu fini, and toxapex. sash mitigates the added ground-type weakness and allows tapu koko to last-ditch check a bunch of things that just 6-0 this sorry excuse for a team. coverage is tbolt dgleam hp fire uturn - might consider taunt and/or hp ice. next i went with specs tangrowth - needed a ground switch-in badly and with my av already taken, i decided to go a more offensive route to soften things up for koko and azu. coverage here is leaf storm sludge bomb hp ice nature power - terrain boosted thunderbolt puts big chunks into any steel type that wants to switch in and allows me to surprise celesteela. fifth slot is z-fly lando - it's lando, i wanted a nice medium-speed ground immunity that hits hard and clicks eq against things and i didn't think much about it past that lol. set is sd smack down z-fly as a general toolbox mon. last slot is azumarill - rounds off the fwg and gives me strong priority. knock to hurt cress and p2 more.

yeah this is a five-minute team - i haven't played bss in a lil while so i thought i'd take it easy and not think about it too hard. have fun with it i guess, specs tang is a laugh if nothing else

hi i built this it's very bad

https://pokepast.es/a6d0f1e84c1b21cf

basically whenever i see a core on one of these things that's very obviously designed for trick room, my first response is to say "fuck you, i'm not using trick room" and that's basically what i did. as mentioned before, the big issues with this core are the stacked (heh) weaknesses and the general reliance on trick room, and so i had to play to their other strengths and pick teammates that fit best with the reactive balance build that these mons fit into best. what are those strengths? well, stakataka has some nasty weaknesses, but it can also 1v1 several nasty meta threats such as naganadel, mimikyu and aegislash, so i went with an av set to ensure i could always check special attackers that lacked fighting coverage. camerupt also has a glaring weakness to water, but due to its bulk and typing, it stands out as one of the best offensive electric checks in the game, gaining momentum off tapu koko, zapdos and thundurus-t (among others) with ease. it also acts as a decent wallbreaker, taking little from p2's attacks and inflicting toxic.

the first teammate i picked here was sash tapu koko. koko is a great boon for dealing with offensive builds and for soft-checking scary water-types like gyarados, tapu fini, and toxapex. sash mitigates the added ground-type weakness and allows tapu koko to last-ditch check a bunch of things that just 6-0 this sorry excuse for a team. coverage is tbolt dgleam hp fire uturn - might consider taunt and/or hp ice. next i went with specs tangrowth - needed a ground switch-in badly and with my av already taken, i decided to go a more offensive route to soften things up for koko and azu. coverage here is leaf storm sludge bomb hp ice nature power - terrain boosted thunderbolt puts big chunks into any steel type that wants to switch in and allows me to surprise celesteela. fifth slot is z-fly lando - it's lando, i wanted a nice medium-speed ground immunity that hits hard and clicks eq against things and i didn't think much about it past that lol. set is sd smack down z-fly as a general toolbox mon. last slot is azumarill - rounds off the fwg and gives me strong priority. knock to hurt cress and p2 more.

yeah this is a five-minute team - i haven't played bss in a lil while so i thought i'd take it easy and not think about it too hard. have fun with it i guess, specs tang is a laugh if nothing else
that is flames it may not be the best or.close but that legit is flames

VOTING STARTS NOW!!!!!!! People who put teams are expected to vote, you can vote and not post a team. (I will hl people in Monday)

Q N A SHOULD WE DO BULU PEX META OR SPOOKY CUP NEXT

Idk i went with moose but looking at ikas team i like it more because of the style i think moose n goose imo is better. I'll go with moose and goose. The other ones were cool 2

Last edited:
MOOSE AND GOOSE HAS WON/tied with tox I'll officially announce it on Wednesday if still like to see tox's vote although not needed is like to see if he ties or not tox pls don't force a tie of u think moosengoose did the best by not voting for him but if you think someone else did well give them the vote

GZ TO TOX AND MOOSE AND GOOSE!!!!!!

NOW BUILDING AROUND TOXAPEX & TAPU BULU & METAGROSS-MEGA AND/OR HEATRAN

pex.jpg
BULU.jpg
metagross-m.jpg
heatran.jpg

IF IT WAS NOT ALREADY CLEAR YOU CAN POST A TEAM YOU HAVE MADE BEFORE NOW!!!
YOU MUST USE TOXAPEX AND TAPU BULU AND ONE OF METAGROSS-MEGA HEATRAN OR BOTH IF YOU WANT TO
(just in case not already
clear)

HOPEFULLY WE GET THE NEXT SPECIAL AND WE CAN DO TEAMS WITH THAT NEXT WEEK

(gz to tox and moose and goose for winning last week!!!)

I spent slightly longer on this one than last week. Pretty standard looking team based around abusing grassy terrain and shoring up some matchup weaknesses that bulu/pex/metagross/heatran have, but I suspect it will be solid on ladder.

https://pokepast.es/1cf88cb024668d37

Tapu Bulu:

EVs:
252hp/28def = not KOed by +2 Ice Fang from Mega Gyarados
28 Speed = Outspeeds -1 Adamant Mimikyu
Rest in Spdef

Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini, Loom check. Spdef allows to take 1 Psychic from modest specs lele in Psychic terrain. Checks scarf and bulky specs lele. Supports rest of team with terrain.

Toxapex:

Mega Blaziken, Mimikyu, Greninja, Porygon2 check. Z-Haze allows recovery even when taunted, other than that standard.

Heatran:

EVs:
100hp = Grassy Terrain Recovery Max
100hp/60spdef = +2 Z-draco -> Draco not KO from Naga
220 speed = Outspeeds all celesteela/aegislash/neutral nature base 70s.
Rest in SpA

Tapu Lele, Volcarona, Naganadel check. Celesteela/Aegislash check. With Grassy terrain, is able to take on more pokemon such as mega metagross.

Mega-Metagross:

EVs:
44hp = Grassy Terrain Recovery (also lowers chance of OHKO specs shadow ball tapu lele).
Max Speed Jolly, rest in Attack.

Main thing is stomping tantrum over EQ due to Grassy Terrain, Hammer Arm for P2/Snorlax, Ice Punch Mega Mence/Landorus, Iron head main stab.

Mimikyu:

Stopper for Mega Salamence, Mega Blaziken etc. Good Insurance Policy.

Greninja:

Greninja to discourage use of certain mons such as landorus and salamence. Sash. Grass knot is for hippowdon. KOs always in grassy. +SpA nature for extra power.

Last edited:
Lol rip the thread is dead already hopefully special makes people join lol.
https://pokepast.es/85450c6ea2369e71

Bulu tran pex is great as a core.

Bulu beats bp pressures with natures madness hits tran and other steels with superpower horn leech hits koko and ground and water types and much more for good damage and recovery.

Pex has z haze. This is to deal with the large amount of set up.mons and recover. Rocky helmet is also an option on this team.

Tran is a catch all to everything . Can get up sr roar out pokemon.flash cannon hits many things the team struggles with like mamoswine.

Porygon 2 deals with opposing heatran with hp ground ib kills dragons tr helps the team because of the slower nature making it semi tr!

Herracross out speeds 44 spe lando while still being slow for tr. This pokemon can abuse terrain with bullet seed. Substitute makes it break many teams.

Naganadel is there for speed and huge set up. Sash on this team is invaluable for some of the weaknesses

https://pokepast.es/c7e809870c46a622

Personally I've built around bulu-tran enough and despite it being decent, it's really matchup dependent, and it basically can't afford to have pex on the same team (stacks ground weakness too much), which is why I chose meta. I added air balloon blace because it can switch into ground moves and also hits lots of steel types. Lando is there to kill venu because I have a trash matchup against it. Gardevoir is a pokemon.

: Haze + Ice Beam exists so pex can beat mence and mimikyu because that's what pex needs to do.
: Vest Bulu acts as a soft check to all the other tapus so you can keep up Grassy Terrain, and a gren check. Evs prevent a 2hko from lele so you can switch in and KO with wood hammer or something.
: Standard
: Don't @ me.
: I already mentioned that lando kills venu, but it also is a really nice lead against most teams

Bonus:
https://pokepast.es/a6d8a5f378b7ef38
Basically the same idea, but with reuniclus and hippo. Unfortunately the team was way too weak to ghost types, and too slow to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)