Burungeru

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender

Burungeru

------------------------------------

[Overview]
  • Very bulky on both sides of the spectrum due to good HP.
  • Unique typing which gives it awesome resistances and immunities, making it a great counter to common stuff.
  • Decent Special Attack coupled with a nice Offensive Movepool balanced by a great Support one.
  • Slow Speed and being grounded means it takes full Layer damage, as well as weakness to common Electric and Grass attacks.
[SET]
name: Utility Counter
move 1: Boiling Water / Surf
move 2: Recover
move 3: Shadow Ball / Energy Ball / Ice Beam / Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Shadow Ball / Energy Ball / Ice Beam / Will-O-Wisp
item: Leftovers
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD

Set Description:
  • Awesome counter to a lot of things, such as but not limited to Urugamosu, Kobaruon, Roopushin, Heatran, Infernape, Blaziken, Empoleon.
  • Easy to switch in on Water, Ice, Fighting, Normal, and Fire moves.
  • Last incredibly long because of reliable recovery on Recover.
  • Can Burn foes so they dont hit it on its weaker side, the Physical one.
Additional Comments:

• Last 2 spots are determined by preference. Shadow Ball is a good STAB move that will have good coverage with its Water STAB. Will-O-Wisp is better used when youre not using Boiling Water on Burungeru, as it gives it a solid Status move. Ice Beam hits Grass and Dragon types that would otherwise wall Burungeru badly. Toxic is a great move to have since it hits Water types and its a good annoying move.
  • Calm is used to make Burungeru a solid Special Wall that will hardly ever lose to Special Attackers.
  • Offers Spin Block for the team.
Teammates and Counters:
  • Good option for a team that requires a Spin Blocker, as it can take on most of the Spinners with relative ease.
  • Pokemon like Skarmory, Scizor, Empoleon, and others, that love Fire and Water Pokemon out really appreciate Burungeru.
  • Good synergy with Blissey, Snorlax, Randorosu, and Sazandora.
  • Gets walled badly by Blissey, Snorlax, Water Types if its not running Energy Ball, and Grass Types if its not running Ice Beam.
  • As it uses no SpA investment, things with decent Special Defense like Jolteon or Denchura can come in without worrying and threaten with STAB Super Effective moves, as will Jaroda and Nattorei.
[Team Options]
  • Typing wise, Steel, Grass, Ground, Rock, and Dark Pokemon are great to work with when using Burungeru.
  • Gliscor is a good idea, as it can switch in on Electric attacks and use Taunt and Toxic to do big damage that can then be benefitial for Burungeru. Randorosu can help a lot too, but this one assumes the work of hitting stuff hard so that Burungeru will finish them later.
  • Things like Snorlax, Nattorei, and Special Walls that enjoy Pokemon burned to wall better also like Burungeru.
[Optional Changes]
  • Pain Split can be used if you want to do damage while regaining health, but Recover is more often a better option.
  • Hydro Pump can be used as the Water STAB for greater damage output, but the low PP and Accuracy are big hindrances.
  • Energy Ball can be used on the last spot to hit Waters.
  • Night Shade is also a good option in the last spot since it does fixed damage and can help break subs that other wise you wouldnt be able to.
  • Can shift EVs to Defense in order to bump its bulkyness on the Physical side.
[Counters]
  • Bulky Water types with recovery will be Burungeru's bane if its not running Toxic, such as Vaporeon and Milotic, as it will more often than not end on a PP war.
  • Celebi, Jaroda, Shaymin, and Nattorei can take everything Burungeru uses and retaliate with Grass STAB.
  • Tyranitar and Sazandora canswitch in and they must be wary of a burn, but they can threaten with Super Effective STAB.
  • Electric Pokemon like Jolteon, Denchura, Zapdos or Borutorosu can also OHKO Burungeru.
[Dream World]
  • Burungeru gets Damp as its Dream World ability. Yeah, useless.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think Night Shade is a viable option in slots 3 and 4. I can imagine things using substitute in front of Burungeru, and 100 guaranteed damage could be its best bet to break them.

You also can't have Shadow Ball as the primary slash in 2 slots because that's illegal. Furthermore, your sprite vanished because presumably it was taken down from your original source. You'll need to replace it.

Unfortunately, Burungeru does not counter Roopushin. The best he can do is burn it and switch to something more physically bulky after he burns him, because he is a sitting duck against bulk-up Roopushin.

More SpA EVs or Spe Evs can allow Burungeru to counter other burungeru, which can be important. Sacrificing some SpD ev's would probably be the best bet.

I think HP Fire should be mentioned as an option. with 4 extra speed EVs and HP fire, Burungeru can take down other burungeru-nattoreit cores. HP fire the nattorei (who always switches in on you) and either taunt or shadow ball the burungeru. I've tried it and it works great. HP fire is also unexpected and can take other threats

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hum, I have an idea for physically defensive Burungeru here.

name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Boiling Water / Surf
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Ice Beam / Energy Ball / Shadow Ball
move 4: Recover
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Will-O-Wisp is highly recommended here, because you can't really rely on 30% chance burning when you face any strong physical attackers. Boiling Water is still an option, because it can get nice burns on the switch while still providing high power. Surf is a solid choice too, because of the higher base power, and Will-O-Wisp not being an option. For the third move slot, it depends on your personal liking. Ice Beam is the best option, since being a physically defensive pokemon will make you face Dragons, like Salamence and Garchomp, but other pokemons that take x4 damage to Ice, like Gliscor. Because many Grass types will switch on you (like Jaroda) you can damage them super-effectively on the switch before getting out. Energy Ball may help for the Water types that will try to wall you, but aside Starmie, you won't be damaging them much, so it's not the best option, since Starmie can Thunderbolt you anyway. Shadow Ball is a secondary STAB option, but it doesn't have really awesome coverage on physical pokemons. Recover is essential recovery for a wall, and Burungeru can use it well.

Well, if you think it's good, you may add it.

Unfortunately, Burungeru does not counter Roopushin. The best he can do is burn it and switch to something more physically bulky after he burns him, because he is a sitting duck against bulk-up Roopushin.
Um, actually, inflicting Roobushin with Burn status would be terrible, given the amount of Roobushin that use Guts. Roobushin is pretty much set-up on by Roobushin, unless you're running something like Toxic/Night Shade (even then, Toxic makes things worse and Night Shade is a 4HKO should Roobushin fully invest in HP).

Well, personally, I came around here in the hopes of NOT seeing a 252/252 EV spread. People only do that because it's easy.

Personally I'm running one to complement my Recycle Magnemite team. I'm running Water Absorb, Leftovers, Boiling Water, Evil Eye, Recover, Taunt (faster than Blissey, at least).

Oh yeah, 252 HP and SpDef. RestTalk Tentacruel to Spin.

@Steeli: Boil Water + WOW is too repetitive.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Too many slashes. I think this would be best:

[SET]
move 1: Boiling Water
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Toxic / Shadow Ball / Ice Beam
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

-Boiling Water's burn chance outweighs Surf's additional power on a Pokemon like Burungeru. Surf is not worthy of a slash (maybe a small note for teams that don't want clashing status effects or something).

-I believe Taunt should be given the third slot. It is extremely useful for a number of reasons; here are some specific examples:

1. You can catch prevent Nattorei, one of Burungeru's most common switch-ins, from setting up Spikes by Taunting it. This is best done on the switch or after burning it.
  2. You can block Forretress's Rapid Spin while preventing it from setting up hazards.
  3. Taunt helps with Pokemon reliant on recovery; it beats Blissey one-on-one handily, and in a pinch, it can be used to wear down/beat (with great prediction) Latias and Rankurusu. Incidentally, this also helps against other Burungeru as well.
-Mention Will-O-Wisp in set comments. You already have Boiling Water, anyway.

-I don't think Energy Ball is really worth mentioning (maybe in optional changes). Most of the Pokemon you'll be hitting with it are beaten by Burungeru without it (Swampert, Quagsire), will outlast it (Manaphy, Suicune), or will be hurt by WOW / Boiling Water anyway (Kabutops, Cloyster).

I'm a bit uncertain about the slashing. I personally have found Taunt / Toxic to be the best pairing, which is reflected in the configuaration I posted; however, others will probably have different opinions on which of the moves are best. I am fairly sure about what should be excluded from the main set, though.

I also second pana's call for a physically defensive set.

wait a minute. been doing some looking at his other ghost option evil eye. when the foe is statused evil eye does more damage ( 50 to 100)

will o wisp
evil eye
recover
ice beam / toxic

evil eye - will o wisp then evil eye = 100 + stab = 150
shadow ball - 90 = 90 + stab = 135.

depends on if you want to constantly status the oppenent

and something else. on a physical set wouldnt you have cursed body to disable the oppenents physical moves?

Too many slashes. I think this would be best:

[SET]
move 4: Toxic / Shadow Ball / Ice Beam
evs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD

{~snip~}
Like the TC, you also have too many EVs on your spread. Is 8 def there to avoid a particular kill, and shall the over budget EVs come out of SpD; or should def be reduced to 4 to maximize defense on the special side?

More SpA EVs or Spe Evs can allow Burungeru to counter other burungeru, which can be important. Sacrificing some SpD ev's would probably be the best bet.
Calm nature
252 Hp 80 Def 32 SpATk 144 SpDef
My Burunga kills him. I use Toxic and Substutite in the last two slots. If they bulk up, you win. Sub since you are faster and mach punch does not effect you. After 4 turns he is in KO range of a Boiling Water. Leaves you with about a third of full hp if holding leftovers. If they are running a flame orb, same deal except an extra turn. As we know sub stops status and on max hp he makes the 101 subs. It is really easy to get free subs with him thanks to Water Absorb. Without the sub, there would be know way Burrunga could take down Shandara. It also allows him to deal with the bulky waters by stopping their Toxics. Tentacruel does wall me all day and a lot of times ends up getting a free Toxic Spike.

If the Roobishon does not run payback, you win the match up all day as well.

This is an excellent Utility counter. It counters opposing Burungeru exceptionally well. You should really note this set.

name: Untility counter
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 4: Toxic / Boil Over / Ice Beam
nature: Calm / Bold
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

In the last slot Toxic is very viable to status possible switch-ins or non-steel, non-poison and flying/levitating Pokemon, which are not affected by Toxic Spikes. That's what this set makes so good in combination iwth Toxic Spikes.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Like the TC, you also have too many EVs on your spread. Is 8 def there to avoid a particular kill, and shall the over budget EVs come out of SpD; or should def be reduced to 4 to maximize defense on the special side?
Sorry, I just copied the OP spread and modified it, under the (incorrect) assumption that the EVs had been corrected.

IMO both Toxic and WoW should be mentioned as viable status options, whether the Utility Counter set stays as is, or gets split into physical and special. However, in most cases Toxic is the superior option in my experience. Taunt is also very useful, and needs at least a slash if not being the main option for a moveslot.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Another thing to note about burungeru is that he's either immune to or resists nearly every priority attack in the game (with the exception of shadow sneak, of course). Just one more reason to use him (or her) on your team. Just out of curiousity, who do you like better, the male version or the female version (shiny or non-shiny)??

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I disagree that a spinblocker like Burungeru should have max Special Defense because this makes it extremely weak to pursuit. In fact, the only real purpose for having max special defense is spinblocking Starmie, who still has an 80% chance to 2HKO with Thunderbolt after SR and sandstorm. Burungeru doesn't really strike me as an effective special wall because it's vulnerable to Toxic, and still takes a huge amount of damage from common special attacks like Thunderbolt and Seed Flare.

All sets should have at least some physical defense. Even a small amount of investment goes a long way in preventing it from instantly dying to Tyranitar's or Scizor's Pursuit.

I have been using a spread of 252 HP/240 Def/16 SpD Calm. This makes it tough enough to pull off its Will-O-Wisp, and it is also capable of tanking most special hits (Gengar's LO Shadow Ball never OHKOs after SR damage). Max HP/Max Def Bold is also viable because it gives it superior physical defense to Rotom-A (who we all know was a bitch to take down in Gen IV).

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A few notes:

-> The set that's in the OP should be replaced with the one suggested by Eo. Then, in AC, have Surf, Will-o-Wisp (and possibly Energy Ball too), mentioned as plausible changes that one could use apart from the main options listed in the set.

-> The Physically Defensive set should like this (or similar):

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive (?)
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Taunt / Toxic / Shadow Ball
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

In my opinion, Ice Beam is a must on this set, as with a Bold nature and full investment in the Defense and HP stats Burungeru gains the possibility to stand against most Dragon-type Pokemon and hit them back pretty hard. A few interesting calcs:

- Choice Band Ononokusu's Outrage (Adamant, 252 Atk): (78% - 93%)
- Dragon Dance Ononokusu's Outrage (+1 | LO, Jolly 252 Atk ): (93% - 109%)
- Leftovers SD Doryuuzu's EQ (+2 | Adamant, 252 Atk): (81% - 96%)
- Bulk Up Roopushin's Payback (+1 | +Atk nature, 252 Atk): (34% - 40%) [40 BP Payback]
- Choice Band Hihidaruma's EQ (Jolly, 252 Atk): (38% - 45%)
- Terakion's Stone Edge (LO, Adamant, 252 Atk): (51% - 61%)
- Choice Scarf Tyranitar's Pursuit (Jolly, 252 Atk): (30% - 36%) [40 BP Pursuit]
- Choice Ban Scizor's Pursuit (Adamant, 252 Atk): (48% - 56%) [40 BP Pursuit]

I would like to hear what other QCers think about the Physically Defensive set and the rest in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)