Metagame Camomons

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wishing the happiest of holidays to everyone!

As I ended up being one of the fallen quarter-finalists in the Gen 8 Camomons tournament, this marks my last involvement in the entirety of Smogon Forums (though I will lurk and casually battle on the Showdown ladder from time to time). With that, allow me to showcase the teams I have built in my rather short stint in this metagame. Be inspired with these builds and where it came from, and feel free to tinker them however you please. Consider this a parting gift from me to you all -- veterans and aspirants alike.

Note: Teams will be presented as 600x100 pixel strips; clicking on the strips will lead you to the pastes in their final versions.
With Aerodactyl and Slaking absent this generation, this prototype team can still get the job done. It is patterned after one of my novelty offense strategies wherein Pokemon are dealing damage while fainting itself in the process -- through Curse (shout-out to warzoid for pulling off Stealth Rock + Curse suicide sets) and Final Gambit, then letting a Retaliate user take advantage of its STAB + doubled base power, where Slaking was once most favored due to its hit-and-run tactics.

Durant became one of the surprising replacements this generation as it is one of the Pokemon who has Retaliate, when boosted with Hustle and Choice Band, it becomes marginally stronger than an Adamant Slaking with Choice Band. It is also fast enough to outpace almost everyone in the metagame. It is paired alongside Hydro Pump Hydreigon for a good amount of damage output with Choice Specs and some form of momentum with U-turn. Finally, Hatterene and Gyarados, despite not fitting to this pressure-filled offense, serve as the set-up attackers once threats are gone.
With the ladder being infested with Sticky Web and other high-octane offense, this inspired me to bring up an almost dedicated Trick Room team that make the slow Speed of majority of the members turn the tides of the match. Five out of the six members really use Trick Room to the fullest: three of them being setters of such move, and two taking advantage of their slow Speed to dismantle almost everyone in the field by virtue of their crazy boosting abilities (resists, anyone?). Of course, so as not to lose momentum after Trick Room is over, I put Hydreigon in the last slot to serve as a late-game attacker as a way of dealing with worthy threats.

This is a more defensive and formulaic approach on building a Camomons team, where I give the members most key moves to keep themselves as healthy as possible, and this is patterned from one of the most timeless UU teams I have built during the XY/ORAS era. This time, it is built around Gyarados with a Torterra-esque typing thanks to its newfound access to Power Whip.

Kommo-o, Vaporeon, Sableye, and Mandibuzz constitute the defensive backbone of the team thanks to their near-unparalleled synergy, and provide the key moves integral to the success of the team. While they are doing their defensive roles, Rotom-Heat serves as the engine that provide immediate damage output to the opposing team.

Appearance: R3M1 vs. cscl (L)
While the Suicide Squad team isn't making much waves because of the team not functioning cohesively enough, this inspired me to run a team patterned after warzoid's CamUUmons team. This gives a more high-octane, pressure-filled offensive feel where I have to play as aggressively as I could.

Polteageist and Cloyster are the main attackers of the team as they have Shell Smash to boost their respective attacking stats and dismantle almost everyone in their path, and they are backed with Nasty Plot Hydreigon and Swords Dance Excadrill either to set up sweeping or to sweep on their own once Polteageist and Cloyster have done their purpose. Finally, Choice Scarf Xatu serves as the revenge killer and hazard/status bouncer to eliminate Pokemon that the main attackers deem difficult to handle before they would set up and sweep.

Ladder Appearances: vs. Windy sea (W1, W2); vs. mii_yuu (W)
Despite this team not having any appearances at all in the Camomons tournament, this team happened to be one of my most successful teams on ladder as it peaked to #8 (1443), sandwiching between some of the mii_yuu alts. This came from a realization that three Dragon Pokemon (Haxorus + Dracovish + Hydreigon) will make the most impact in this metagame, and with Sticky Web being one of the most potent play styles to date, these Pokemon will definitely take advantage of this deadly play style.

The team constitutes a trio of Choice attackers, a trio of momentum changers (Gardevoir and Claydol take advantage of the newly buffed Teleport) -- two of which constitute a rather eccentric defensive backbone that will set up the parameters needed integral to the team's success. Finally, Hydreigon serves as the late-game attacker with Taunt being used to deter any defensive Pokemon that attempt to use Defog, Haze, or any status move that could potentially waste the team's efforts.

I would like to thank Estarossa and Juuno for bringing up Camomons to me by virtue of the Gen 7 CamUUmons tournament, and of course Mygrein for being supportive in this endeavor. This may be my short-lived stint in the Camomons metagame, but it is all worth it, thanks to In The Hills for this initiative by virtue of the Gen 8 Camomons Tournament and this metagame itself. With that, I do believe this is worth of a shot in the official Other Metagame tournament circuit for how deceptively easy and extremely fun this metagame is.

#freecamomons #makecamomonsofficial

Last edited:
Generic header for new mon released, and end

1581538043851.png

Finally gets access to recovery in Roost and Softboiled so certain sets are easier to use. I ran into a Fire/Flying set and fully intend to use Boots + Defog now that Mew doesnt suffer.

1581538059245.png

Melmetal is slow, lacks offensive boosting moves, and is hyper susceptible to chip damage and status. However, on the flip side of things Melmetal also comes with possibly the beefiest raw power that we'll see for a while, boasting an huge physical spread of 143/143 Atk/Def. Iron Fist can boost Ice Punch or Thunder Punch as secondary typings because Double Iron Bash is straight up one of the best moves in the game. 120 base power which rolls 2 crit chances, any slower mon risks flinches. Fortuantely for anyone fighting this beast it literally does like 2 things, maybe runs Twave for status. Just will-o it and its doomed.

1581538076623.png

Shell smash blastoise is a thing now. Yep. Probably will enjoy running Keldeo typing or Palkia typing for offense or bulk typings. Not much else to say.
he finally did it guys

1581538121739.png

I'll spare the 'Kyurem Black is gonna get hella banned' talk, and instead talk about regular Kyurem. Special attacking builds don't change much besides the addition of Freeze-Dry as a unique way of harassing Waters that like switching into Ice moves, but the big one is Dragon Dance, turning Kyurem into a war tank with its beefy HP+defenses duo, his passable 95 Speed and solid 130 Attack. Icicle Spear is the crux of why Dragon Dance really is intimidating here, because Kyurem actually has a physical STAB to abuse. I doubt his meager other physical options will actually turn him THAT threatening especially with Sylveon's popularity afaik so.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hydreigon (1).gif

After our previous voting and with the addition of Home, the Camomons council has decided to quickban Hydreigon. Hydreigon was a threat that had been on the radar since the beginning of generation 8 with the addition of Nasty Plot to its already massive movepool. With the Home drop, Hydreigon now has access to Roost in its arsenal yet again, and when paired with its superb coverage, Nasty Plot, and Levitate, is far too dangerous for this metagame.

Namea loserAndyboyChazmIn the HillsVerdict
HydreigonBANn/aBANBANBAN
DracovishBANDNBDNBDNBDNB
Kommo-ODNBBANDNBBANDNB
DragapultDNBABSBANDNBDNB

Tagging The Immortal

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
melmetal.png
zeraora.png

Another quickban update!
The council has decided to quickban both Melmetal and Zeraora! Melmetal's Choice Band sets had few switchins, and with Steel/Ground and Steel/Fighting sets offering extra STAB coverage on top of its already hefty movepool that made Melmetal far too difficult to switchin to. What few switchins Melmetal had were severely damaged by Melmetal's coverage, and Melmetal almost always found a way to poke huge holes in teams due to its insane Attack stat. Zeraora's speed tier paired with multiple versatile offensive typings and a strong Attack stat while still having enough bulk to tank a hit or two made it difficult for teams to deal with even after its typing was revealed. Between all out attacking sets and Sub Bulk Up sets, Zeraora puts a strain on teams that is too unhealthy for this metagame.

Namea loserAndyboyChazmIn the HillsResult
MelmetalAbstainBanBanBanBan
ZeraoraDo Not BanBanBanBanBan

Good luck to anyone who gets drafted in OMPL! This tour will be a great opportunity to move the metagame forward.
Tagging The Immortal

Euphonos

Hello, everyone! I actually thought my stint here is short-lived, but thanks to a lot circumstances happening here lately, I'm looking forward for this metagame to become part of OMtM again; with that, I have a flagship project coming up real soon! Stay tuned!

Special thanks to drampa's grandpa and The Immortal for the approval of this upcoming project.

Good luck to Camomons.
Quick question though.
If I want to use the Teleport Clefable set, what typing is better on Clefable, Fairy/Psychic or Fairy/Normal?
Body Press may be a much more viable option in this OM and not be just something as a forgotten extra coverage move used on some walls, and Steelix seems like a prime candidate for such a role. Clefable being a huge help with keeping Steelix alive and healthy through Wish+Teleport.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Good luck to Camomons.
Quick question though.
If I want to use the Teleport Clefable set, what typing is better on Clefable, Fairy/Psychic or Fairy/Normal?
Body Press may be a much more viable option in this OM and not be just something as a forgotten extra coverage move used on some walls, and Steelix seems like a prime candidate for such a role. Clefable being a huge help with keeping Steelix alive and healthy through Wish+Teleport.
I personally use Poison/Fairy for the Toxic immunity and extra Fighting resist. I also use Steel/Fairy Claydol alongside it, which switches into any of Poison/Fairy’s weaknesses thanks to Levitate (barring strong Steel moves, which Steelix—or Avalugg in my case—can deal with on its own). After a Wish, you can switch to Claydol if you fear a super-effective hit, Teleport into Steelix if you don’t, or switch into Steelix if you sense something like Iron Head coming your way.

I personally use Poison/Fairy for the Toxic immunity and extra Fighting resist. I also use Steel/Fairy Claydol alongside it, which switches into any of Poison/Fairy’s weaknesses thanks to Levitate (barring strong Steel moves, which Steelix—or Avalugg in my case—can deal with on its own). After a Wish, you can switch to Claydol if you fear a super-effective hit, Teleport into Steelix if you don’t, or switch into Steelix if you sense something like Iron Head coming your way.
Clefable actually prefers to be toxiced with Magic Guard since it prevents Paralysis, Sleep, and Freeze.
Unless you are using Unaware that is.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Clefable actually prefers to be toxiced with Magic Guard since it prevents Paralysis, Sleep, and Freeze.
Unless you are using Unaware that is.
I do use Unaware. I prefer that over Magic Guard because it lets me take on things that would normally be a huge threat at +1 or +2. Also, the fact that lots of people use Magic Guard means I can potentially bluff having it so my opponent sets up, which happens surprisingly often.

Rock types aren't gaining a spdef boost from sand pls fix.

Edit: So it seems pokemon like t-tar that start out as rock typing get the spdef boost even when their typing is changed from their moves and pokemon that gain the rock typing from moves don't. I assume this is a glitch

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Rock types aren't gaining a spdef boost from sand pls fix.
The display is bugged and has been for a long time. Unless your Pokémon is naturally Rock type it won't look like it's getting the boost, but it should be boosted if its camo'd type is Rock. Check the calcs.

It's also bugged so that natural Rock types who lose said typing look like they're getting the boost, but won't in fact when taking damage.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
It would be neat if you could see the types at team preview, it's pretty lame to just have to pray people don't go into immunities you don't know about. It would make developing a game plan a lot easier rather than just random sweeper fiesta.
This would be neat, but I imagine it would be very difficult to code. If I recall correctly, Camomons changes your Pokémon’s type during the battle rather than before, so making types visible at team preview would require a change to the coding at the most fundamental level.

This would be neat, but I imagine it would be very difficult to code. If I recall correctly, Camomons changes your Pokémon’s type during the battle rather than before, so making types visible at team preview would require a change to the coding at the most fundamental level.
"very difficult" :psysly:

But yes, without seeing the types on team preview, then it's HEAVILY based on luck depending on the matchup. You can't plan ahead, you keep a pokemon for last fight and you end up with a pokemon that is immune/resist all your 3-4 attacks, gg

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
kyurem (1).gif

Quickban Update: Kyurem
The Camomons council has decided to quickban Kyurem. Kyurem gained a slew of new moves this generation, primarily Dragon Dance, along with Freeze-Dry and Weather Ball. Kyurem's Dragon Dance sets are able to PP stall its walls due to Pressure and SubRoost, which made it ridiculously hard to defensively check, and with its 130 base Attack, Kyurem could break just about any team. Replays of it in action can be found here, here, and here. Non-Dragon Dance sets were threats of their own right, and though not broken like Dragon Dance sets, made Kyurem that much more difficult to deal with.
Namea loserAndyboyChazmEuphonosIn the HillsVerdict
Kyuremn/aBANBANBANBANBAN
We're also in the process of deciding on a suspect for the near future, so keep your eyes peeled and keep on enjoying the Camomons ladder!
Tagging The Immortal

Last edited:

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
I've seen a lot of stall teams on (low) ladder, so I wanna talk about this:

:salazzle:
Salazzle (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Foul Play/Taunt
- Protect
- Substitute

Lots of teams depend of Steel- and Poison-types for absorbing status, so you can finally whittle them down with Toxic. Foul Play punishes switch-ins into Haxorus or Tyranitar, while Taunt stops other stall-mons like Toxapex. Beware of Clefable and Hatterene :O

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8camomons-1110655979 I actually lost this match but it does a great job of showcasing Sal
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8camomons-1114935010 Lots of scary bulky things that stopped Mew from sweeping like Arcanine, Mew, and Jellicent

Last edited:
I already identified some cancerous pokemons (fantastic for stallers), I will not list them yet because Smogon loves stall

However what is interesting in this OM is that there is such a huge variety of teams and sets, it's the first time I see that. Special mention for Mew who has an infinite combination of types :D

anyone got some good dracovish (Water-dark) counters (not checks), that isn't a dead weight on it own/ lose to other rain sweepers

Edit.
I think i found what i was looking for

Bewear @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Last edited:

Euphonos

anyone got some good dracovish (Water-dark) counters (not checks), that isn't a dead weight on it own/ lose to other rain sweepers

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Charm
- Wish
- Protect

Here's the best answer that I could think of so far. Vaporeon's first two moves will make it Water/Fairy, such that it can also resist Dracovish's STAB Crunch.

Edit:
Bewear @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
Dragon/Fighting is fine, but because there are other people who runs a Water/Psychic Dracovish variation (or keeping Water/Dark with Psychic Fangs as coverage too), maybe I'd go for a Dragon/Fairy one so that at least it's neutral against Psychic Fangs.

Last edited:
This OM is quite balanced in itself at the moment. That's probably why there are so few messages here, nobody is complaining. But for how long?

Have you guys found some imbalanced Pokemons (or pokemon with specific types)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)