Metagame Camomons

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
1590092267296.png

I found myself in a position where I needed to beat a vish with a mew and lost. A mew which was neutral to psychic and resisted water. Psychic fangs 2hkos almost max def mew (and it's not max def literally bc of this mon) with a CB which is ridiculous. You need a water absorb pokemon WITH a dark type to actually switch into this pokemon. And these pokemon are mostly useless otherwise. Ban Dracovish

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.56.52 PM.png

It's surprising how big of an impact a useable secondary typing is for Vish however, that alone accounts for the fact that there is no solid defensive counterplay outside of the Water Absorb mons with a Dark type that Jordan mentioned above. You can speed creep your mew to outspeed adamant band but that runs into difficulty switching into STAB Psychic Fangs or Crunch and has difficulty dealing with sub metronome sets because a Water-type mew struggles to hit a Water-type attacker in Dracovish so it has lots of opportunities to stay in and begin stacking metronome hits. If fully defensive Mew that resists Fishious Rend isn't a surefire check and Water Absorb Darks are practically mandatory on a team to feel safe vs Dracovish, I think that's a good indication that the mon is too constraining and needs to go i'm voting Ban.

View attachment 247964

It's surprising how big of an impact a useable secondary typing is for Vish however, that alone accounts for the fact that there is no solid defensive counterplay outside of the Water Absorb mons with a Dark type that Jordan mentioned above. You can speed creep your mew to outspeed adamant band but that runs into difficulty switching into STAB Psychic Fangs or Crunch and has difficulty dealing with sub metronome sets because a Water-type mew struggles to hit a Water-type attacker in Dracovish so it has lots of opportunities to stay in and begin stacking metronome hits. If fully defensive Mew that resists Fishious Rend isn't a surefire check and Water Absorb Darks are practically mandatory on a team to feel safe vs Dracovish, I think that's a good indication that the mon is too constraining and needs to go i'm voting Ban.
I fully agree that Dracovish is entirely too centralizing and will be voting to ban when I get Reqs. However, I’ve seen and used a lot of water/grass mew that resists Fishious Rend and is actually able to hit it back with giga drain. Mew still struggles switching in to psychic fangs or crunch, but I think it’s incorrect to say that a Water mew can’t hit Vish back.

I also used Ground/Dark Seismitoad for a bit and it’s sole purpose was almost exclusively to check Vish. While I may not have been using the right typing or set, I found it entirely underwhelming versus the rest of the meta.

I fully agree that Dracovish is entirely too centralizing and will be voting to ban when I get Reqs. However, I’ve seen and used a lot of water/grass mew that resists Fishious Rend and is actually able to hit it back with giga drain. Mew still struggles switching in to psychic fangs or crunch, but I think it’s incorrect to say that a Water mew can’t hit Vish back.

I also used Ground/Dark Seismitoad for a bit and it’s sole purpose was almost exclusively to check Vish. While I may not have been using the right typing or set, I found it entirely underwhelming versus the rest of the meta.
Water/Grass mew is one of the better ones for checking vish but that's one of the only Water-type mews that can actually hit it and even that requires some difficult plays to beat Vish because if you stay in and roost on the psychic fang or crunch and they keep spamming it eventually you have to attack because they do too much. If they switch the turn that happens then your check doesn't check anymore the inconsistency is very problematic.

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
Also if you suggest water grass mew is the perfect dracovish check, which I've used to success, you'll eventually see a shift to Pokemon that beat that exact set to pave the way for

See: matiss' week 4 team with SD three attacks drednaw with last attack megahorn to ohko new that gets lured by the water/ground typing and a dracovish in the back

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 2.46.40 PM.png

Started like 5-3 or smth and ended w this. S/o TheCoastsOfToast for passing me teams that went like 20-1 and s/o Jrdn for a team that went 0-2 :blobthinking:. S/o all who tried to snipe me and failed, as well as that one asshole who turned on timer midgame AFTER i told him i had to poop (e: he still lost)

As for dracovish, I generally lean toward ban for these types of things I think it's dumb when theres a mon that forces every team to run like dark jellicent or physdef water mew or smth. Esp since a lot of breakers in camo play pretty prominent defensive roles (but almost never bulky enough to tank dracovish attacks) due to typing shenanigans, I think banning vish and not having to run specific slots for vish checks will probably reduce the number of scenarios where one team is simply helpless against another, something ive experienced on both ends quite a lot given how much Ive played gen 8 camo.

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 2.59.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 2.59.35 PM.png

Last edited:
20200525_124537.jpg

Hello,
I wanna start out with two controversial opinions: first being that vish isn't as un-checked as this thread makes it seem, second being that this suspect is the biggest meme I can remember.

For my first point, I am not taking a stance that vish isn't broken nor centralizing. This mon is bewildering powerful and versatile. It can run scarf or band better than any other mon rn and it is multitudes bulkier than your average wall breaker.
An issue stems from the lack of out the box thinking going on right now, I don't see how a mon could be truly unquestionably broken in a meta where you can change your type to meet your defensive needs. Here are some mons that banded adamant vish fails to 2HKO:

-Dragon Bewear (This just hard walls with the right secondary)
-Regular Ferrothorn
-Grass/Steel Coal
-Baneful Pex (You spam bunker even when it fails to half the BP)
-Grass/Water Corsola-Galar

Add these to the list of viable water absorbers/mew and you have 10 mons who can take vish hits and aren't useless on their own. This only took a couple minutes to brainstorm, I'm sure there are more things.

Not that any of these matter due to my next point, this suspect is the worst timed/executed suspect I've seen. The suspect was created the same day that OU made theirs, meaning that vish will mostly likely be banned as it cannot pass two suspects. Instead of the quickban that should have happened like with Kyurem, we are holding a full fledged voting suspect with reqs. The problem with this is that OU will continue after the 31st and this will not. We are banning the fish essentially for next year, when we are mere days from getting a bunch more mons. Instead of going the rest of the month enjoying vish-less matches we are potentially removing it from a unseen meta months and months from now.

No salt at all from me towards the council, they are doing what's best for the metagame. I just wish there was more hindsight, unless this is gonna become a permanent ladder.

That being said, probably ban.

Last edited:
for the suspect test, i stopped playing because of dracovish and the other things i reported, and the meta is much less played these days, no motivation nor time to play again (kinda waiting for the next OM of the month)

but thank you for that suspect test, if it happened back then I'd have voted for ban, I was at 1400 on 3 accounts (I was the belly drum snorlax guy but that team was really too recognizable with not enough players on the ladder :D)

Serika

28 reasons
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor
unknown (1).png

I'm not a main Camomons, but if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's ban vish.
Even if I find it less abused than in SSOU, there is still a big concern for the freedom of the teambuild and even in matches, it is not so good.
Well then, I don't know the tier and I wanted to show what I was capable of at Dragonillis xD (and annoy Siamato)

Ban Vish

Wow! Achieve an 80% Win Rate in Camo Tours and Leave Your Opponents Wet and Frustrated!

In the middle of this Dracovish suspect, here's a post about the closely related topic of Rain where I review some OMPL games to analyze how Rain functions at the top levels of play. Currently, Rain has an 80% win rate in OMPL, and I think it's totally busted.

Is this high win rate due to Rain curbstomping unprepared teams with Fishious Rend? Actually, Rain in OMPL has a 100% win rate versus teams with Water immunities, and these are the games we'll be looking at.

If you don't have time to read an essay and just got clickbaited by the title, scroll down to the bottom of the post where I linked a Rain team and have fun crushing people on ladder or in roomtours. Don't forget to leave a like on the way out!

:pelipper: :dracovish:

What makes Rain so good is its ability to put massive pressure on Balance, Bulky Offense, and Stall teams. Type spam teams like Rain are the bane of any team whose game plan involves having switchins to opposing Pokemon. In a metagame like Camomons with so many possible threats, a team with a defensive core will have to spread its defenses thin to cover all possible type combinations. Type spam teams take advantage of this by hitting one pressure point repeatedly.

Rain's game plan of spamming strong Water, Electric, and Flying type moves is tough to meet, even with Water Absorb and the other defensive counterplay to Dracovish that Ztest mentioned. In the OMPL game Siamato vs geerat (Rain vs BO), Siamato pivots with Dracovish to bring his Specs Electric-type Dragapult in safely. It proceeds to 2HKO the enemy Jellicent with Thunder thanks to a crit, and after that geerat loses to Fishious Rend despite having 2 more Water resists.

It's a similar situation in MetaRiolu7 vs hamhamhamham (Rain vs Balance), where the Water Absorb mon (also Jellicent) gets Hurricane confused by NP Mew on a pivotal turn and fails to get off a Toxic. Even without the Hurricane hax, hamhamhamham would have had an uphill battle facing down Vish and Barraskewda with Jelli at 20%. Also notable in this game is Scarf Fighting-weak Dracovish 1v1ing a Max Def Rocky Helmet Body Press Corviknight.

One more game analysis: Havens vs DugZa (Rain vs Semistall). In this game, Lapras is the Water Absorb user, but it is passive and gives Havens' Mew free turns. Even though Dracovish has its Choice Band knocked off, it still nets a kill versus a defensive Water-resistant Mew — in order to be bulky enough to live Adamant Band, many Mew spreads give up the ability to outspeed Jolly Dracovish. Specs Dragapult sweeps once DugZa's team is weakened.

(For those curious, there were two more OMPL games featuring Rain: Rain vs Sun, won by Rain, and Rain vs Kyurem, won by the Kyurem team. Neither of these games featured Dracovish.)

:dragapult: :mew: :drednaw:

What's the takeaway from this analysis? Watching these games, it was striking to me how irrelevant most Pokemon on both teams ended up being, and the games came down to how well the Rain sweepers matched up against the defending team's Rain answers. This dynamic doesn't leave much room for creative or skillful gameplay and opens the door for matchup wins and hax. Even when Rain finds itself at a disadvantage versus a well-prepared opponent, all it takes is a Waterfall flinch, Thunder para, Hurricane confusion, or crit to turn the situation around.

It's also evident from the replays that Camomons Rain isn't a flimsy, predictable HO strategy. Kommo, Mew, and Pelipper have the ability to run offensive and defensive sets and select the best typing for their role. Sweepers like Dracovish, Drednaw, and Dragapult require different defensive measures depending on which STABs and coverage they have, making them all the more difficult to wall.

The end result is that it takes more than a Water Absorb mon plus Electric and Flying resists to have a reasonable matchup versus Rain. I think this constitutes an unreasonable strain on teambuilding.

:dracovish:

Bringing this back to the subject of the suspect test, I think it can't be ignored how well Dracovish performed in all the games, netting at least one kill despite the presence of Water immunities.

What's becoming clear to me as I watch more games is that having a mon that walls Dracovish is not the same as not being weak to it. The OMPL games above feature tactics like using Vish's bulk to switch in on weaker hits and double switching out of Vish to gain momentum. Actually, all of the games feature double switching with Dracovish, and it's easy to see why. Because Scarf Dracovish outspeeds and OHKOs 90% of the metagame, the opponent has to play cautiously and thus predictably around it, which strong players capitalize on to maintain offensive pressure even when Water Absorb and other defensive answers are at play.

Is Vish broken because of Rain or is Rain broken because of Vish? I think it's a little of both — Dracovish gives Rain a breaker that functions well outside of Rain turns, while Rain lets Vish break through 2x resists and pairs it with sweepers that compliment it typewise. What is clear though is that in the current state of the metagame, a viable Camomons team requires multiple dedicated Rain checks, or a Dracovish of its own, or both.

To try it out for yourself, here's a rain team you can use on ladder.
:pelipper: :dracovish: :drednaw: :kommo-o: :mew: :liepard:

Last edited:
the guy named "Clefable" above me is 100% right. It applies to sun teams too to a lesser degree (Rain teams have Hurricane and Thunder under rain, while Sun teams only have Solar Blade and the other Solar thing, and it's unusable without the sun)

2/3 teams run Dracovish and 1/3 of the teams are rain teams lol

Imo, abilities like Drought and Drizzle should be banned. One of the worst thing with these abilities is that you can set up the weather with a sacrifice, you don't even need to play well...

But Dracovish still need to be banned

EDIT: unrelated but look at this replay https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8camomons-1029519847 beautiful game design isn't it? missed 80% of his attacks and lost

Last edited:
:ss/jirachi: :ss/celebi: :ss/darmanitan: :ss/pikachu: :ss/mew: :ss/corviknight:

Here's a team that has done very well for me ( peaked #4 )

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Knock Off
- Extreme Speed
- Volt Switch
- Fake Out

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 80 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

It can play very aggresively or fairly defensively, and has answers to common breakers. The stall matchup is even I'd say, although the path to victory can be annoying (outlasting them with Jirachi and Celebi setups). The Rain matchup was generally good, because Mew walls most of their attackers, Pikachu can clean up Rain sweepers, and Jirachi can set up on Pelipper and deal with Thunder/Hurricane spam. Most forms of HO have big problems with Pikachu. Balance teams often have big problems with Jirachi and Celebi.

-Electric/Fairy Jirachi is one of the biggest threats in the tier imo. It's a stall breaker, but it tends to be good in any matchup. Also provides a nice Dragon immunity.
-Ground/Ghost Celebi walls common Toxtricity and checks Extreme Speed users. It also kills common stall Poison types, and pressures stall a lot in general. Provides three immunities.
-Fire/Steel Darmanitan is just a powerful anti-offense mon to pair with the two stall breakers. It also has some nice 4x resistances.
-Normal/Dark Pikachu mops the floor with a lot of HO archetypes, and can really clutch out lategame scenarios. Ghost and Psychic immunities sometimes come in handy.
-Water/Dragon Mew provides two nice 4x resists to Fire and Water. Both Rain and Sun teams hate this thing, and unlike a Water Absorb pokemon your opponent won't necessarily see it coming. Dragon Tail fits into its moveset far better than most secondary STABs would, too.
-Finally, Corviknight deals with various Ground- and Fighting-types like Haxorus, Gyarados, and Sirfetch'd. Once hit by Rocky Helmet, they can no longer survive Pikachu's priority attacks, which is a nice synergy on the team.

Feel free to use the team!

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Good day, everyone! Time for me to dig a little deeper into this suspect test, now that I have finished my OMPL match against Akashi and I have finally featured Dracovish in my team to a point that it actually made sense as to why (almost) everyone here are going towards a ban on Dracovish.

So, what I said before about Dracovish may be seen in this post here: Dracovish is essentially a strong Pokemon with a signature move so strong that offense teams have to tread carefully against Choice Scarf variants while teams with a defensive backbone still have to tread against Choice Band variants. With these conditions, the results seem inconsistent to not warrant a ban on this Pokemon. However, there's one thing that is extremely consistent, and this is where it begins to unravel that giving a Water resistance is mostly associated with absorbing Dracovish's blows.

Essentially, for a metagame this decentralized, Dracovish has actually put a huge strain in team building, something that jrdn exemplified in this post and eventually made me realize how actually centralizing to end up having a bulky Water resist + someone resistant to either Psychic Fangs, Crunch, or any other available STAB move upon type-modding. One thing is for sure about Dracovish: a move boosted by STAB + Strong Jaw, coupled with its condition to double its power upon moving first means that it is capable of forcing to a Water-resistant (or immune) Pokemon and breaking slow defensive Pokemon even without the power of Choice Band which is definitely consistent at what it does.

With that, from being a proponent against banning Dracovish, I'm open for giving Dracovish the hammer here; however, I have one unique proposition that someone brought up before: what about banning the move Fishious Rend instead? It may be a little late for me to bring this up to my fellow Council members, a little outlandish at that, and that would mean consequently gathering some opinions on its Electric counterpart Bolt Beak, but Fishious Rend seems to be the greatest catalyst for Dracovish's stellar success. This move tackles almost any Pokemon except those with Storm Drain / Water Absorb / Dry Skin (while Bolt Beak can't cover Ground-types which are actually a little more common in this metagame) and Dracovish players will not stop pressing Fishious Rend when they see no Water-immune Pokemon. Banning Fishious Rend would grant Dracovish more freedom in using those aforementioned moves without being too centralizing and an exploration in some of its under-explored sets thanks to Fishious Rend outclassing every other viable set. If that would be possible, I'm actually gunning for banning Fishious Rend than banning Dracovish as a whole, but banning that Pokemon in itself will still remain an option for me.

(edit: I got told banning Fishious Rend would be against Smogon Policy; press E♯ to pay respects to Dracovish)

Last edited:
Fishious rend/bolt beak got banned in stabmon
But if you ban the moves then you can't use Arctovish or Arctozolt which is a shame because even with these moves, they are not super strong

I am at 74% GXE on a new acc "CDS grofou", dunno how much I played but my team is like 6-0 by Dracovish (I don't want to add a water absorb) so it doesn't help to get the GXE (and people spam the dracovish rain team thanks to "Clefable"). I'm also worried that people who use Dracovish vote for "no ban" because they like playing it. What can be done to ensure the integrity of the vote? lol

EDIT: here is a replay of my other acc against dracovish but if I had no a double water resist then i'd lose https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8camomons-1124454889-zbuni5vjy1g35bmkthj9hnpwc2o9f3cpw

Last edited:
Fishious rend/bolt beak got banned in stabmon
But if you ban the moves then you can't use Arctovish or Arctozolt which is a shame because even with these moves, they are not super strong

I am at 74% GXE on a new acc "CDS grofou", dunno how much I played but my team is like 6-0 by Dracovish (I don't want to add a water absorb) so it doesn't help to get the GXE (and people spam the dracovish rain team thanks to "Clefable"). I'm also worried that people who use Dracovish vote for "no ban" because they like playing it. What can be done to ensure the integrity of the vote? lol
Camomons is not STABmons. In STABmons the alternative to a Fishious Rend ban is banning every physical water type. In Camomons Dracovish is the only noteworthy Fishious Rend user. Although Arctovish could become decent after a Dracovish ban, the lack of Strong Jaw, much lower speed, only one viable typing combination (Water/Steel) and a poor movepool holds it back significantly.

So as for Stored power and power trip, here is a guy that i keep beating everyday, and he found this strategy to counter me with reuniclus. Today he decided to do the same thing with Necrozma + Reuniclus
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8camomons-1124477951-09tbx8fh9xocjo7qyciqvif1asoavklpw

I have the hardest hitter in OU + dark type yet I can't pass it if I don't know his team beforehand or if I let him only 1 turn (or unless I crit, hence why I played LEEK on Sirfetch'd before, having to rely on pure luck). So again, these brainless moves need to go. EDIT: i mixed up the issue of defensive setup and stored power/power trip, my bad, it wasn't clear, just talking about power trip and stored power

Note: just saw a tournament with Siamato and all he did in his games was that, defense setup and win, nobody could pass it

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
With the end of Camomons as OMOTM I'd like to share two teams from both sides of the archetype spectrum that have worked really well for me:

Double Body Press Stall
:ss/corviknight::ss/toxapex::ss/mew::ss/ditto::ss/hippowdon::ss/avalugg:
Variations:
:corviknight::clefable::mew::ditto::clefairy::avalugg:
:corviknight::toxapex::mew::ditto::clefable::avalugg:
:corviknight::clefable::mew::ditto::hippowdon::avalugg:

Corviknight is Corviknight, but I felt like Steel/Flying as a defensive typing was much better than Body Press STAB (you do a billion when you Iron Defense anyway). It serves as the primary Haxorus counter, resisting almost all its attacks besides CC (which doesn't do much unless it's STAB, in which case you can take a hit and OHKO with Brave Bird), as well as a late-game wincon when all the special attackers are weakened.

Toxapex is Toxapex.

Mew has kind of a weird set, I needed a special wall and it already seemed to beat Dracovish pretty well so I put the rest of its EVs into SpD. It sets spikes and burns stuff, pretty standard.

Ditto is Ditto. It's really useful for revenge killing stuff and being a late-game wincon, and can even see use to steal a cleric's Heal Bell (since I couldn't fit one on the original team variation) since most clerics are passive enough to switch in on.

Hippowdon is a second special wall, used to counter stallbreaking Jirachi sets and check non-Water Dragapults. It sets rocks and poisons things, pretty standard.

Avalugg works best with Fighting/Ghost as a type IMO, it minimizes the amount of physically-based attacks that hit it supereffectively (basically only Corviknight and BB Mew as STAB). Curse can come in a pinch against stuff like Stored Power users. This mon was built to cteam all Conkeldurrs, basically.

Variation Pokemon:
Dark/Ghost Clefable is a great setup check because it doesn't get hit by most specially-based attacks besides Moonblast. It beats all Normal/Ghosts, and Knock Off is great for removing Leftovers and choice items.

Fire/Grass Clefable/Clefairy is basically to beat Jirachis and provide a cleric. You could use something like Electric/Poison if you want to also beat Electric/Flying Mew, too.

This got me to #2 as Ace E Emel, with the highest GXE on the leaderboard (I think).

Sticky Web HO
:ss/vikavolt::ss/excadrill::ss/bisharp::ss/gyarados::ss/mew::ss/chandelure:

Vikavolt is a good Sticky Web setter with its lack of weaknesses, pretty high SpA even when uninvested, and slow pivoting. The EVs maximize SpA while ensuring it doesn't get OHKOd by Ground-type Haxorus.

Excadrill is Excadrill.

Bisharp is Bisharp. The last move is pretty flexible, I used Taunt to pressure stuff that would want to spam Recover or defensive setup and also to ensure a Sucker Punch but you can also use Swords Dance.

A fairly standard Gyarados set, EV'd to survive a +1 Ground-type Haxorus from full. Rindo or Lum Berry works, I used Ice Fang to hit Grass-types and also Flying Mews a bit harder but another coverage move can work I guess.

Electric/Flying Mew is a great wincon with webs since it can run Modest and still outspeed almost everything. I chose Air Slash because Hurricane missing is a big pain in the ass (also big flinches xd). Soft-boiled is probably better so you don't get hit by EQ but I'm too lazy to change the paste.

Chandelure is the main spinblocker and revenge killer. It's good for tricking its Scarf away to something passive like Coalossal or defensive Mew.

This got me to #22 as pains me inside with a not-very-impressive GXE (but it's still a fun team to use).

overall camomons was fun hope it becomes permanent or rotational

Euphonos

Good day, everyone!

Now that Isle of Armor DLC has been released, time for me to give some thoughts on the newly-introduced and returning Pokemon from the said content rating from which can give the most impact to the Camomons metagame. However, you can also give your thoughts on the Pokemon that have not been mentioned here but could probably be a hidden gem worth exploring.

Impact Rating: SIGNIFICANT

/
/

Need I say more about the best Special wall in the entire Pokemon world? While this Pokemon doesn't have any moves that can be learned via the Isle of Armor tutor, Chansey and Blissey are now capable of using the buffed Teleport as a way of gaining momentum. Running pure Normal with Wish/Protect looks fine, while putting Dazzling Gleam or Charm for the part-Fairy typing or Shadow Ball for the part-Ghost slot isn't exactly bad too.​

/
/
/ +++
Alakazam will be making huge waves in this metagame with lots of possible roles: whether as a Counter disruptor that has been lingering for some time, or as a Nasty Plot attacker that makes it a more potent Special attacker than before. Ghost/Fairy or Ghost/Fighting variants take advantage of the immunities provided by its Ghost typing, ideal for its ability as a Special attacker (despite being possible to run many other types thanks to Energy Ball, Psychic, or Zap Cannon if gutsy enough hence the +++), while the Normal/Ghost variant uses Encore to disrupt a set-up attacker, lure an unsuspecting physically inclined Pokemon with Counter, or force a switch against Extreme Speed and other Priority users.​

/
/

Slowbro will definitely make a mark in this metagame thanks to Iron Defense + Body Press. Another thing that makes Slowbro one of the most amazing Pokemon in this metagame is the presence of Teleport that could aid the team in giving momentum. It's unfortunate that Slowbro doesn't have Flip Turn that would warrant an Assault Vest set taking advantage of Regenerator, but Teleport should suffice at this point.​

Heracross happened to be one of the best wall-breakers in the last generation, and is going to leave a mark once again with its signature Flame Orb Facade + Close Combat set. While it's not exactly as strong as Conkeldurr, what makes up for the marginal lack of power is its Speed which can definitely shake the metagame up. (Thank you In The Hills for bringing this up!)​

/
/ +++
If GameFreak actually blessed Volcarona with Scorching Sands like most Fire-types do, it would've been a metagame-breaking Quiver Dance attacker with a Fire/Ground-typing without consequently having to run Heavy-Duty Boots most of the time. However, this lack doesn't prevent Volcarona from making a significant impact in the metagame thanks to its high-octane Fire + (Psychic / Grass) typing coupled with Quiver Dance. Hurricane deserves another special mention here, although risky thanks to its propensity to miss, it can actually work alongside Rain teams.​

Separate post on other Pokemon coming up soon! I hope the Isle of Armor DLC makes you feel hyped about this metagame despite not being part of the OM ladder. Speaking of that hype, I'm hoping the OM Staff would approve my proposal to hype up this metagame once more!

Last edited:

Euphonos

Apologies for the double post, but here are some other Pokemon worth looking after -- while not as significant of an impact that the aforementioned Pokemon in the last post, they still pack a punch in today's metagame.

Impact Rating: HIGH

/
/

Porygon-Z is one of the most threatening in this category to a point that it's actually giving a borderline-significant impact. While it doesn't have new toys in its arsenal -- let alone losing its patented Z-Conversion one last generation -- it still works as a Choice attacker and disruptor or as a late-game attacker with its Agility/Nasty Plot variant. For balanced builds, a Choiced Porygon-Z can actually force switches and gain momentum by virtue of the newly-buffed Teleport, which is a subtle trade-off from the loss of its bread-and-butter set.

/
/
/
/ +++
Another noteworthy threat posing a borderline-significant impact in this category is Chazm's most favorite Pokemon since last generation: Magearna. Unlike the aforementioned Porygon-Z, Magearna has some new toys up its sleeve to maintain the kind of impact it brings: as a Choice attacker, it now has Trick to disrupt opposing supporting Pokemon from doing their stuff; also, while there aren't any new significant attacks worth using for Magearna, the ways of setting up with Magearna has slightly improved, and this set I have crafted is one of them.

While Scizor isn't exactly as impactful as the other two thanks to the absence of its Mega Evolution, Technician-boosted Dual Wingbeat is definitely a godsend for Scizor as it replaces the rather decent Aerial Ace as its main Flying STAB move. Apparently, it may still need some form of support to succeed with Scizor as a Swords Dance user; while not as potent as before, Choice Band sets are nothing to scoff at with a combination of Bullet Punch, U-turn, Dual Wingbeat, Knock Off, or even Superpower.

/ +++
This Urshifu in Single Strike Style -- whom I fondly call as Raoh (I hope you know the reference) -- is not exactly as impactful as those in the other metagames would say (or even in the official SwSh metagame for that matter!). At the moment, I have used Raoh as a bulky Bulk Up attacker with Poison Jab and Wicked Blow and it actually delivered big time; although there are other sets worth exploring like the Choice Band or Choice Scarf variant thanks to U-turn granting it momentum.

/
/
/ +++
I haven't actually built a team featuring Toki, the Urshifu in Rapid Strike Style (I hope you know the reference), but I have devised some probable type combinations thanks to the Water typing that sets apart from Raoh. Toki may not possibly care about running the likes of Dive against those with Protect thanks to Unseen Fist, and this is the probable niche it could bring to the table as a proponent for Toxic Stalling with its teammates. It is also capable of running Aqua Jet, a more reliable priority move than of Raoh's Sucker Punch, hence it's also capable of running a (bulky or offensive) Bulk Up set.

/
/
/ +++
Tangrowth is in a stiff competition with another fellow Regenerator user, Amoonguss. However, what sets Tangrowth apart from Amoonguss is its plethora of good attacks apart from its passable attacking stats (Earthquake, Knock Off). It may easily be one of the best Assault Vest users to take advantage of its rather dismal Special Defense stat, or it could be run as one of the defensive behemoths that can comprise of a Regenerator core.

/
/

Amoonguss, on the other hand, has better Special Defense than Tangrowth, and has Hex that could give Amoonguss part-Ghost if it were to place in any of the top two slots. Not to mention it has a lot of support options (the most accurate Spore is number one) in the bag. Whether you elect to put Tangrowth or Amoonguss depends on what your team ultimately needs.

/

The main niche Magnezone brings to the table is the ability to trap Pokemon with Steel-typing such as Scizor and some Mew variants -- something that Pokemon with a Fairy typing can definitely benefit from. It's kind of sad, however, that it lost Hidden Power as a way of eliminating other Steel-types with a secondary typing (like Dragon and Ground) that resists its main attack in Thunderbolt; while Body Press seems to be a blessing especially when paired with Iron Defense, it's actually not ideal in practice as it loses its potency as a Choice Scarf trapper.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)