CAP 10 CAP 10 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Supporting material:
http://ivnbvn.com/images/seathing_cap10.bmp
http://ivnbvn.com/animations/cap10silliness.gif

I tried to emulate the old Sugimori watercolor style. It's not all that convincing, but it was a fun attempt.

Thanks to everyone who gave me their input, it was much appreciated!
There are so many great designs and concepts (as always, but...) I'm not sure if I'd be even voting for myself this time. Good lock to all the participonts.

Sorry that this is being presented rather late, but the idea just barely came to mind earlier today. Anyways, I tried to create the concept of a ferrofluid pufferfish. In a sense, the ferrofluid would explain its electric temperament. Also, I imagine something rather bulky in appearance to accommodate the given 151 HP base stat. So yeah, all feedback is appreciated. :)

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.

Sorry that this is being presented rather late, but the idea just barely came to mind earlier today. Anyways, I tried to create the concept of a ferrofluid pufferfish. In a sense, the ferrofluid would explain its electric temperament. Also, I imagine something rather bulky in appearance to accommodate the given 151 HP base stat. So yeah, all feedback is appreciated. :)
I dont like giving criticism but imo that looks WAY too much like Qwilfish.

Cartoons!, that pixie is incredible! It's definitely going to be in the top few! I'm going to support your design when the polls come around.

Chaoscrippler, as another user stated, your design almost looks like a Qwilfish or an evolution of it, honestly.

I experimented with a shorter, flatter version of the teeth on my hydroelectric beaver design. Here is the long and short version of the teeth side-by-side (click to view in full size):

I still prefer the longer teeth, because I think it makes the design a bit more offensive looking. But, the shorter teeth put the design more squarely in the classic beaver mold, which may be a better way to go.

Anyway, I'm curious which one is preferred by others.
I actually prefer the longer teeth because it pulls it away from the Bibarel look-alike part of it imo.

Cartoons!: That pixie is just amazing! The watercolor style you did does work really well here.

Rocket Grunt: Your submission has to be one of my favorites out there. It kind of reminds me of a neon skeleton fish (not sure if that was what you were going for, but still sick-looking!)

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/seanbostick/things2.jpg
Um ... how come all of the poses have different colour schemes? He changes to yellow when he opens his mouth and changes again to a brightish blue when he closes his mouth and then becomes dark blue/purple in places when his claws come out. I'm confused.

Why do these things always seem to coincide with my exam period man, I dunno if I can get mine finished on time :7

Regirubber: It's a fitting animal to base your design on, but currently your entry is lacking an edge or something that sets it apart. I'd work on a hook that really grabs peoples attention. It seems that patterns on the back are the main way to go, and I see you have made a start, but the electric typing needs to be emphasised more I think. Maybe fit some more character in there too? I saw your art thread and your Gyarados, so I expect something super awesome don't hold out on me man

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've always envisioned the waffle pattern on my hydroelectric beaver's tail to actually be a sort of electrical grid. Basically, they are a grid of wires with electricity flowing through them. But, I've always considered that to be a private little flavor tidbit to my design. I intentionally did not try to make that obvious in the picture, because I thought it would make the design too detailed.

But, after talking about it with others, I did experiment with some coloring tweaks to accentuate the electric tail grid -- to see if it might spice up the tail, which previously looked a bit bland.

I think the electric tail coloring pulls the tail into the overall color scheme, and adds a little more impact to the design.

Why do these things always seem to coincide with my exam period man, I dunno if I can get mine finished on time :7

Regirubber: It's a fitting animal to base your design on, but currently your entry is lacking an edge or something that sets it apart. I'd work on a hook that really grabs peoples attention. It seems that patterns on the back are the main way to go, and I see you have made a start, but the electric typing needs to be emphasised more I think. Maybe fit some more character in there too? I saw your art thread and your Gyarados, so I expect something super awesome don't hold out on me man
i changed the color scheme to emphasize the electric typing - your comments are definitely true, im gonna work on it then post a more fleshed out rendering this evening based upon your comments, thanks my dude

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Doug, in my opinion you're forcing the beaver's design to give it more electric-feel with that Jolteon's fur. Maybe you can make another color-scheme without that fur.

Doug: Why not try an electrical web as a pattern around the beaver's tail? I feel that that will bring the tail more into the overall color scheme of the beaver. I also really don't like the patches of fur on the beaver's back, it does have a kind of Jolteon reference like Caladbolg said.

DougjustDoug, I must say that your last two submissions have been on the top of your game. The beaver concept is once again very clever and fits so many aspects perfectly it will without a doubt make a great contender. Still, I'm going to agree with caladbolg's post above to an extent; the shoulder-fur overdoes it.

Speaking of people who are on top of their game, Cartoons! has a beautiful entry in his pixie. It might be a little strange, but that's what makes it so perfect for Trace (porygon2 says hi). The .gif shows how versatile the design is and once the movepool polls go up, I'm voting just to back up Brave Bird for that reason and that reason alone. Well, ok, maybe not... But it's still the best part in the .gif

Anyhow, continueing; It is a few pages back, but Paras Hilton has also created a very clever concept in a beautiful style. It is very cute, has an amazing range of support-material and shows a certain duck that accesoires are not a normal/flying privilege. Thumbs up for this pixy also.

Cyzirvisheen; for whatever my opinion's worth, I completely agree with the main body's current palette. I'm too not sure about the blue on the angler though, which seems a bit too much of a contrast for such a small addition. Either way a solid concept and quality design. But hey! That was to be expected from a threefold winner.

Although a little less popular, Scampy's self-substained aquarium (or lavalamp) too is a very clever submission. I'm not sure if the head should be under voltage, or just the atennas. Perhaps the entire body? I'm not sure. Either way; just a personal opinion or two; the dot on the belly is unnecessary IMO, while the head feels a tad awkward in tandem with the bodyshape. The antennas could be a little less like 'pawns' also, or maybe a little more. Feels like they're lingering in-between the two a little too much and I'd think a stronger bias would look nice.

Another mention goes to darkmattr, for another solid design. There has been obviously been put a lot of effort in this submission and it is beautifully drawn. The Draco Meteor piece especially is breath-taking. Great job man.

All in all, there's many quality submission going around. If I've missed yours, I'm sorry, but the post has already become longer than it was supposed to. I wish every artist good luck with the coming polls and may the best design win!

sorry for the late. this is my new project:

this design is based on newfoundland's dog.

backstory:
"this pokèmon was spotted for the first time in an unknown island.
its fur consists of tiny hair covered with a waxy substance that makes them impervious and prevents leakage of electricity.
electricity (which is generated by the muscles) is stored in the bags found on the neck and legs, which also works like lifebelts. the three tails works like a fingers. they can be used in combo with is massive body for powereful physical attacks,but are usually used to drag the nets with fish on shore. despite his enough size,have a good behavior and can be trained easily for every use."

hope you like it. this days i make some support material (moves sketchs and some traced ability's sketch.)

Well I tried adding the fin to the tail in some sort of creative manner, but in the end it sort of ended up just a fin. But I still like the way it looks better than the previous bolt. He still looks electric-y enough to me, what with the generators and the circuits, let alone the color scheme.

Still taking any last-minute advice before editing my Final Submission.

~Nyasu

@Nyasu, you should indeed make that your final submission, it looks a lot better than the previous bolt on the tail. Even though the torso is still a bit bare, if I look at the end result, I think it's more than fine. It gives off the electric feeling plenty enough already.
I don't think you should change much more about it now, although I would love to see some more supportive artwork reflecting the new changes to nyasumon.
You'll have my vote though.

@regirubber - i like it a lot, i'd like to see the "wings" of the ray expanded more...right now, it's very biological, i think if you expand the wing size, take it out of natural proportions, it will look more pokemon like.

Well I tried adding the fin to the tail in some sort of creative manner, but in the end it sort of ended up just a fin. But I still like the way it looks better than the previous bolt. He still looks electric-y enough to me, what with the generators and the circuits, let alone the color scheme.

Still taking any last-minute advice before editing my Final Submission.

~Nyasu
I know you just got done getting rid of a lightning bolt tail, but that particular style of broad eel-style tail could still have a lighting pattern and not look dumb. It's hard to describe what I'm thinking of, but imagine taking a pair of scissors to your guy's tail, and cutting the fins until they were a typical lightning bolt shape, then pretend that they grew that way in the first place. Whether or not that sorta thing would jive with your design, I couldn't say. It looked nice in my head, though.

http://img220.imageshack.us/i/diffs.jpg/

Here's an exceedingly rough version of a couple of differences I was suggesting earlier.

Keishinkae:
I like the gator better. I have trouble seeing your plesiosaur in the water.

The more I drew this the more I am falling in love with it..it has more personality than the gator thing, thats for sure!
Keishinkae, I am in love with your design. Wonderful angles and expression, and that smile.. Just the color scheme is throwing me off. We've seen blue and yellow countless times in this thread, especially that dark blue. I think your design is one that could handle a different color scheme while still appearing Water/Electric, because of it's clear resemblance to a reptile. If you were to change the scheme from what it is now to Yellow and another bright color (pink, turquoise, etc), I would seriously consider you in the running for my vote, and I'm sure a few others would as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)