CAP 10 CAP 10 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other two, with their mythological godliness references, don't really fit at all, unfortunately. :\
The Percy Jackson reference was merely a coincidence. I was typing and saying the names out loud, and when I said "Peresea," my cousin mistook what I was talking about, and instantly assumed I was talking about the book/movie...

EDIT: Another variation could be Neumi (Umi, being ocean in Japanese) I dunno, which sounds better?
Neomi
(Nee-ah-mee) or Neumi (Nee-oo-mee)?

Another variation could be Neumi (Umi, being ocean in Japanese) I dunno, which sounds better?
Neomi
(Nee-ah-mee) or Neumi (Nee-oo-mee)?
I'd say Neumi sounds better, and it's easier to find "umi" in "Neumi" than it is to find "Nami" in "Neomi". However, CaP 10's main typing is Electric, not Water so I'm going to say go with Neomi as "Neon" is much clearer in that than Neumi.

I'm currently supporting Shoqua, Ebion and Krilowatt due to them sounding much smoother than most of the other submissions. It's also easy to spot "Krill", "Watt" and "Kilowatt" being used in Krilowatt.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, could I get feedback on these two names please?

Crevolt - Corruption of Crevette de Volt, electric shrimp in French.
Shockateur - Shocking + Saboteur(one who sabotages) There's the obvious electricity pun, as well as since CAP10 is a utility counter, his job is to counter an opponent's threats, sabotaging his sweep and (hopefully) shocking him.

Shockateur is far more clever in my opinion, but one must keep their audience in mind.
Crevolt sounds generic and has no draw or appeal to it. Shockateur sounds a little interesting with the French suffix but it has too much finesse and sounds more befitting on a humanoid Pokemon than a sea creature, let alone a shrimp. Neither of these names capture the essence of CAP10.

I did exactly what Rising_Dusk said, and with the names I picked, they all sounded perfectly without having to look at the art. Ebion, Scampali, Prawnto, are all great (along with mine, naturally). The rest...not so much. Sorry, while there are some clever ones out there, they don't match CAP10.

So, could I get feedback on these two names please?

Crevolt - Corruption of Crevette de Volt, electric shrimp in French.
Shockateur - Shocking + Saboteur(one who sabotages) There's the obvious electricity pun, as well as since CAP10 is a utility counter, his job is to counter an opponent's threats, sabotaging his sweep and (hopefully) shocking him.

Shockateur is far more clever in my opinion, but one must keep their audience in mind.

I am not sure why you went Shockateur instead of the incredibly natural Zapateur. That seems to have finalist potential, and rings right up there with Krilowatt and Prawnto.

They say hindsight is 20/20, and if I could alter my submission a 3rd time, I would adopt that one. However, if you like it and have not submitted one, you should go for it.

I am not making a final submission. Gauscean would have been it, but it's not going to win, so there's no point. Instead, I'll throw my support behind a name that should win.

Final Submission

Scampere

Shrimp scampi pasta with an emphasis on the amp (as in "ampere," the unit for an electric current). The verb "to scamper" also reflects CAP10's small stature and high speed stat.
To me, this name is much better than the others. Both Scampi and Ampere come through perfectly, and together they describe exactly what CaP10 is--an electric shrimp. As much as I love obscure electrical references (Biot-Savart law, anyone?), this is definitely the best of the bunch.

Final Submission

Carifram (pronounced CAR-i-frum)

Caridina (a genus of a bunch of shrimp) + Wolfram (German word for tungsten, metal used in lightbulbs as filament)

Do you guys like it? I think it sounds like a little shrimp that shocks things. :)

Really, the only refining to be made to that one is whether you would prefer Zapoteur vs Zapateur. Pronunciation would be basically the same. Zapo changes even less of the spelling, but I kind of like the idea of naming mine Frank Zapateur after the famous musician.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Just posting to say that people really need to STOP asking for comments on their names. The silence is your feedback, and doing this is basically bumping your name, which is not allowed. Cut it out.

I was going to say this regardless, but yeah, you'll notice that the makers of the more popular names don't have to bump them at all except to make sure that the names technically got in. That's why as of this post I'm done "advertising" both my own name and the names I support. If people want to find my first post here they're quite welcome to do so.

Final Submission

Neumi

Neon (As in neon lights/neon glowing) + Umi (Japanese for ocean)

After some thought, I decided to go with Neumi, because it sounds cuter, which is more fitting for a shrimp Pokemon.

Final Submission

Neumi

Neon (As in neon lights/neon glowing) + Umi (Japanese for ocean)

After some thought, I decided to go with Neumi, because it sounds cuter, which is more fitting for a shrimp Pokemon.
Ah, this one is a little interesting. Very simple, cute, and fitting for CAP 10.

However, Is it pronounced "Nay-oo-mee" or "Nee-oo-me"? If it's the first one, then I would love saying that name.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was going to say this regardless, but yeah, you'll notice that the makers of the more popular names don't have to bump them at all except to make sure that the names technically got in. That's why as of this post I'm done "advertising" both my own name and the names I support. If people want to find my first post here they're quite welcome to do so.
I gave my name a bump too, but I didn't realize it was against the rules at the time. I'm sure a lot of people with good ideas are going to be shafted by the shitstorm of bad names, but in the end, it's all up the the TL's judgment.

@ P_K: 'Neumi' sounds like something I would name my daughter, not a Pokemon. Think of a Pokemon name like a species of animal (since that's basically what it is), and revise it accordingly.

A bit of advice for everyone: Look at CAP10, then look at your name. Do you honestly think it fits? If so, post it and tag "Final Submission" onto it otherwise, keep brainstorming. We are naming a Pokemon. I will continue to repeat this until I start seeing some good ideas.

Oh, and we've covered this before: obscure references to electricity or sea animals doesn't make a good name. Stop trying to put random words together and actually think of something catchy that fits a Pokemon.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Be aware that this thread will be closed upon Beej's return. Everyone who hasn't made their final submission should do so immediately.

I'm changing my final Submission to Ampion.

Basically "Champion" with "Amp" instead of "Champ." This thing's BST is pretty high, meaning it would make sense to give this thing a flavor-based pre-evolution. (Maybe a shrimp larva? We don't have enough non-caterpillar/bagworm-based larval mons.)

Many final-stage Pokemon incorporate "tough" words or roots into their names (Poliwrath, Meganium, or my newest starter, Feraligatr) or ones associated with winning (Victreebel [corruption of Victory].) "Ampion" sounds very fitting for a Pokemon with a BST (570) fitting of a second-stage or higher mon, and remember, not all mons reference their origins (Swampert, for example.)

And "Ampion" rolls off the tongue.

-Torterra-Infernape-Feraligatr-

Final Submission:

Garnelect

Garnele (German for Shrimp) + Electric (-ric)

Pokedex entry:

This pokemon lights up its whole body to blind predators when it is threatened.

Edit: oh poo, its so similar to user Tauros'.

Final Submission

Prawnectric

Prawn (shrimp) + Electric = Prawnectric
Used in a sentence: My Prawnectric just prawned your Gyarados.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Beej has returned! And as such, this thread is now closed. I'm going to be looking through this thread for names that will be added to the slate soon, but the poll might not be up until tomorrow.

Again, don't expect this poll to have too many options in it. The number will be somewhere between 5 and 9, most likely, so DON'T get angry if your option isn't in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)