CAP 11 CAP 11 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Wow, I am now completely in love with this idea.

Does she just use some kind of mysterious power to nullify Electric attacks? lol
I expected the ability to be Limber instead, but I didn't plan for volt absorb in advance... what I can say is that she grounds herself to take the electricity like in here

EDIT: Actually here

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yilx- That is really amazing. Its one of my favorites so far, just one thing, for me the last link doesn't work (I'm not sure if its the same for others).

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yilx- That is really amazing. Its one of my favorites so far, just one thing, for me the last link doesn't work (I'm not sure if its the same for others).
Yeah, just realized that too, I fixed it. It's nothing big, though, it's just a silly picture with the both of them...

And also this

Oh, that is lovely Yilx, good on ya.

Alchemator, you might want to lessen on the shades a little, so there's more contrast between the colours. It seems a little blurry now. But design-wise, a boxing frog (?) seems pretty fun. Perhaps you might want to do something with his tongue. There's many frog-mons, but none of them exploit that part.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Oh wow...I haven't posted in a while. It looks like I will be the last to submit....again.

Anyways, I'm working on the Mayan Jaguar design and I've been researching Mayan art and architecture during the past couple of days. The Mayan certainly loved circles and lines, so those themes worked their way into my design.

Here are a couple of concepts. I want to hear from you and see which design(s) you like best and why. Feel free to mix and match parts you think would look good. Thanks in advance!

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4835/cap11.jpg

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Some super fast support sketches for Balfrog.

@Bird I blurred it on purpose D:

Anyway thanks so so much for the crit ^_^ I've been thinking about the tongue but I can't get it right - either it's too big or too feeble. Any suggestions?

@Yilx
Another explanation for the Volt Absorb would be the use of aura. Think Yoda absorbing the lightning in Episode II. This is similar to Lucario's abilities in the movie, and it seems extremely likely that CAP11 will have at least one aura-based move (a list which includes, among other things, Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse).

Oh wow...I haven't posted in a while. It looks like I will be the last to submit....again.

Anyways, I'm working on the Mayan Jaguar design and I've been researching Mayan art and architecture during the past couple of days. The Mayan certainly loved circles and lines, so those themes worked their way into my design.

Here are a couple of concepts. I want to hear from you and see which design(s) you like best and why. Feel free to mix and match parts you think would look good. Thanks in advance!
Headpeice = top one
Armbands = bottom one
Legbands = yes
Belt = yes
Chestpeice = Middle one

Those are my suggestions. It looks great!

I'll be coloring my voodoo doll design soon, but I worked up a supporting design for a baby pre-evolution.

http://a.imageshack.us/img256/9546/voodooevolution.jpg

My working titles for these are "Voodoll" and "Voodoom". The baby evo is Normal/Dark and our CAP11 final evo is, of course, Fighting/Dark. Not many dual-typed pokemon change their primary type on evolution and keep their secondary type. But, Onix/Steelix do it and so do Swablu/Altaria, so it's not unprecedented.

The general idea is that the baby version starts out with only a couple of pins, and not too much abuse. It's just a sad little guy. By the time it is fully evolved, it has accumulated quite a bit of punishment, including a cracked eye button and the tell-tale sewing needle right through the heart. Yeah, it's pissed off.

I envision that the sewing needle can be pulled out and used as a sword, and can be used as a wand for casting spells. The pokemon uses its own chest as a "scabbard" for the needle. Same goes for the other pins, which it can pull out and use like throwing knives. Ingame, the placement of the pins would change based on the IV's of the pokemon, much like Spinda's spots change.

Anyway, that's a little supporting material for the design. I'll get a colored version of the main design over the next day or two.

This is perfect! A voodoo doll, what better symbol of a dark type is there than classic black magic? And the spikes, and its bulk, it's an obvious fighting type! If this makes it to the polls, it's got my vote.
Thank-you DougJustDoug, this wins.

Well, I've had some trouble thinking of a good idea for this. I was about to give up when I thought of something that no one else (I think) had done yet. A knight. This was mainly due to these particular helmets I saw which I thought could look particularly evil. Anyway, it's still very much a WIP, but I'm hoping to get it finished in time... =/
http://img683.imageshack.us/i/scan0004qk.jpg/
Criticism would be helpful as my attempts at improving it only seem to be making it worse. -_-

@Tortipouss:
I feel like the armor, shield and sword make it too "steel type"ish. If you could somehow incorporate these things into it's actual body (i.e. its hide looks like a dark knights armor, its hands looks like a sword and shield.) I dunno, just an idea.

@aragornbird:
The middle and bottom designs you already have laid out are pretty awesome. I can't decide which head piece I like better... In my opinion, the middle one makes him look like a powerful ruler, the bottom one makes him look like a deadly gladiator... and I like both. :P

This is probably going to be my last attempt at a final submission piece. I just tried another pose since the reactions to my last one were pretty mixed. So what do you guys think?

Personally I am pretty happy with the way this piece came out. I tried to make the coloring slightly lighter as was suggested to me.

Buffalo_Wings

Abnormally Cruel
is an Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

Unfortunately I'm pretty busy for the next few days so I'm playing it safe and just getting a final sub in now. I might edit something else in later though.

Main Design

Supporting Material

Story time: CAP11 Trains constantly with its clan and is obsessed with perfecting its fighting technique. It prefers to train on top of secluded mountains during dark stormy nights, where it hones its incredible speed by dodging lightning bolts. A young CAP11 must learn to build immunity to lightning or be expelled from its tribe with the other weakest members - an experienced CAP11 can absorb energy from lightning allowing to train without rest. It grows stronger as it ages from a life of hard training, old age is a sign of strength amongst CAP11 and the eldest in group is always leader and highly respected. CAP11 can live for hundreds of years. CAP11 are advanced and intelligent pokemon , clan elders teach the young new strategies and techniques in fighting "classes". It often uses its speed and intelligence to trick its opponent and gain the upper hand. It is only found far away from civilisation on top of high mountains, deep in forests, or in desert caves.

Sure, I'll give this a shot..

I am not sure what its supposed to be. But I was thinking "zebra"

Its hooves are presentative of both boxing gloves for the 'hands' as well as being blood soaked...to go with the 'dark' theme. Its tail (if volt absorb is chosen as the ability) would be prime for attracting electrical attacks.

Final Submission

Main Design - The Bash-Hare

Support:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3896/cap11supportcopy.jpg - Night Slash

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1330/bashdefense.jpg - colored scetch of defense stance

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9601/bashareandkiss.jpg - kinda obvious - a pic with Togekiss and CaP11 together

Idea:

I wanted something more or less cute to assist Togekiss. But what is cute and can fight? At first, I thought about kangaroos, but that´s too obvious, imo. The next thing being furry and able to hop around was a rabbit, or a hare in my case. That´s what the base of this was. The lack of ears is because it looked dumb with them. The red scarf was the first thing to pop in my mind when I looked for symbols of the fighting type. And since I already had a scarf, I might as well could add some creepy black scarf with hands at its ends - to fit the Dark type.

>>> A sidenote: If Volt Absorb is the chosen ability, the light bit of the head would serve as absorber. Not that this is important...

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
New colour scheme:

Any thoughts? If I don't get any feedback, I'll shade this and make a final submission, I guess, but any constructive criticism is appreciated.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
aragornbird: Love it. The second one's overall look is my favourite, but I like the mask headpiece as well, and it might be more appropriate for a speedy fighter.

Keishinkae: Love yours too.. can't think of any critique!

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here's an update to my design. I tried to give him a more mystical vibe. His body piercings are made of bone and help to control and ground any excess flow of energy through his body (volt absorb). The body piercings and the bright markings represent the ability to transcend the physical while remaining strongly grounded (ability to use and defend both special and physical attacks effectively).

I'll try to do up some supporting art before the thread closes.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I finished inking and coloring my voodoo doll design. I even decided to ink and color the baby pre-evo:

I played around with a LOT of colors, and I've settled on this combo for now. Later I may post a link to all the other color experiments, just in case I passed over a better option. Originally, I planned to use a single color for the body. But, it looked fairly bland with only one body color and then a few flourishes on the pins, heart and eyes. Also, because of the body shape, with only one color the design was hard to figure out. When I decided to go with a "patchwork" color scheme, I think it fleshed out the idea that this is a doll sewn together from different cloths. Colored eyes really didn't look evil enough, so I found myself always going back to black button eyes.

Now that we have chosen Volt Absorb as an ability -- I worked it into the backstory of this design. The main design is a patchwork of different pieces, and I think it has a kind of "Frankenstein" feel to it. And how did Frankenstein come to life?... So playing off that, here's how this pokemon evolves:

It begins life as a baby pokemon called Voodoll, taking punishment as it is given, and doling pain back out to intended victims. There's not much the baby can do about it. It's a sad little pokemon. Voodoll gets key moves like Pain Split and Metal Burst, to represent how its primary role is to take abuse. As time goes by, the pokemon gets more and more beat up (Ah, Beat Up... another perfect move it should learn).

The "kill spot" for any real voodoo doll, is the heart. With a pin to the heart, the intended victim is supposed to die, and according to legend, the magic of the voodoo doll dies at the same time. Well this pokemon has a slightly different twist on that theme.

The pin to the heart is actually part of a magic evolution ceremony, for young Voodolls to mature. The ceremony is held in the middle of a thunderstorm. The steel pin punctures the heart, and acts as a lightning rod for a thunderbolt to strike. When the lightning strikes it, the Voodoll evolves into a new raging form (just like Frankenstein's monster is animated by lightning). In the new form, the pokemon does not just take punishment, but dishes it out as well... Beware the black magic wrath of -- Voodoom!

Voodoll learns Thundershock by level-up. If a Voodoll levels up with the move Thundershock in its moveset, then it evolves into a Voodoom. Just like how Mamoswine evolves from a Piloswine with AncientPower. Same thing here, but it signifies the thunderbolt ceremony that allows this pokemon to gain a "new life".

Ok, so you get the point. Volt Absorb, ftw.

I'm in love with Doug's voodoos. They "click" for me so well and the art is very well done. My support will be there no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)