CAP 11 CAP 11 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu I've been on vacation and not been paying attention to CAP....

Looks like tonight I get to ignore starcraft 2 and come up with a design/final submission :]

Tough competition as always!

Unfortunately I'm pretty busy for the next few days so I'm playing it safe and just getting a final sub in now. I might edit something else in later though.

Main Design

Supporting Material

Story time: CAP11 Trains constantly with its clan and is obsessed with perfecting its fighting technique. It prefers to train on top of secluded mountains during dark stormy nights, where it hones its incredible speed by dodging lightning bolts. A young CAP11 must learn to build immunity to lightning or be expelled from its tribe with the other weakest members - an experienced CAP11 can absorb energy from lightning allowing to train without rest. It grows stronger as it ages from a life of hard training, old age is a sign of strength amongst CAP11 and the eldest in group is always leader and highly respected. CAP11 can live for hundreds of years. CAP11 are advanced and intelligent pokemon , clan elders teach the young new strategies and techniques in fighting "classes". It often uses its speed and intelligence to trick its opponent and gain the upper hand. It is only found far away from civilisation on top of high mountains, deep in forests, or in desert caves.
This is great but please ad more colors, like for example dark blue cheeks, amazing so far

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here's what I believe will be the last piece of supporting material for my voodoo doll design. It shows how it can remove the needle from its chest and use it like a wand for casting spells and launching special attacks. Here it is blasting the heck out of something...

I'm putting together my final submission now. I should have it done before morning.

The two designs that are by far my favorites are DougJustDoug's Voodoom and Ckpmax's Badger. They're both just incredible, although I think that Doug's captures the typing best.

Final Submission

Final Submission:

Main Design:

Information: This Pokemon is most commonly seen in the wilderness swooping down from the sky to answer the cry for help of stranded travelers. Its capabilities change with the phases of the moon and the light of stars, and is at the peak of its power while a full moon hangs in a clear starry sky. The trails of light emitted from its head and feet are an indication of its energy. This energy, similar to the aura emitted by all living creatures, is also used by this Pokemon to create attacks such as Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse.

Volt Absorb/Lightningrod: On stormy nights, this Pokemon is able to replenish its energy supply by absorbing the energy of lightning bolts. The tips of its star-shaped head are coated with a highly conductive metal that attracts lightning. Once struck by lightning, this Pokemon simply converts the electricity into its own form of energy, often leaving the blue coloration of the lightning within its own trails of light.

Supporting Material:

Front View

Final Submission

Main Design: D-Man (POWER FIGHTER)

Supporting Material:
Here is doing a couple of attacks. There is a breath type attack for things like Flamethrower, Smog, etc.Then there's Bite/Crunch/Scary Face. Then we see him doing a Sky Uppercut. And lastly and energy ball attack like Shadow Ball, Aura Sphere, or Focus Blast.
http://i27.tinypic.com/34pnepu.jpg

And here he is demonstrating his use of Volt Absorb/Lightningrod. Using his powerful fingers of power, he directs the electrical power into his shoulder sphere, absorbing the power, all the while striking a kick-butt pose.
Also underneath, he makes a hand sign and beam like attacks come from it, like Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, etc.
http://i27.tinypic.com/25q7u5t.jpg

Concept: I when I first saw "Fighting/Dark" I immediately thought of Skullomania from the Street Fighter EX series. Seeing as how he was based off a superhero design (like Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Power Ranger), I sought out to create a Pokemon that would resemble a fighting "hero". I wanted to make the distinction between Super Power Fighter Hero and Ninja, since Ninja was a common choice for Fighting/Dark. In order to make it look more dark type, I gave him a large toothy grin (something I wanted to incorporate since the beginning) and a skull design on his body. His cape like-thing only starts from the waist, not the neck.

Flavor/Information: This all male species of Pokemon loves to fight. No matter who he comes across, he always demands a brawl, whether he is outmatched or not. Occasionally, CAP11 might come across some Pokemon he deems worthy or interesting enough and may form a team with that Pokemon. CAP11 is skilled in both hand to hand combat and special attacks. He is also know to be quite agile. CAP11's special ability is that his fingers have a very strange power, able to direct electrical currents into his shoulder spheres, in order to absorb its power. CAP11 is never seen without his trademarked toothy grin, which he uses to terrify his opponent before fighting it.

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Main Design

Supporting Material

Supporting Art

(Click the thumbnails to see the full pictures)

Backstory
This design is directly inspired by voodoo dolls and black magic. The look of the face and the patchwork design all stitched together, is intended to evoke a bit of Frankenstein imagery as well (see Evolution below). Voodoo is a bit macabre for Pokemon, but works perfectly for the typing we chose -- since voodoo is the ultimate way of "fighting dirty". Inflicting pain through black magic is a dark fighting technique, to be sure.

My working titles for the two evolutions are "Voodoll" and "Voodoom". The baby evo is Normal/Dark and our CAP11 final evo is, of course, Fighting/Dark. Not many dual-typed pokemon change their primary type on evolution and keep their secondary type. But, Onix/Steelix do it and so do Swablu/Altaria, so it's not unprecedented.

The general idea is that the baby version starts out with only a couple of pins, and not too much abuse. It's just a sad little guy. By the time it is fully evolved, it has accumulated quite a bit of punishment, including a cracked eye button and the tell-tale sewing needle right through the heart. Yeah, it's pissed off.

I envision that the sewing needle can be pulled out and used as a sword, and can be used as a wand for casting spells (see support picture above). The pokemon uses its own chest as a "scabbard" for the needle. Same goes for the other pins, which it can pull out and use like throwing knives. Ingame, the placement of the pins would change based on the IV's of the pokemon, much like Spinda's spots change.

Evolution and Ability Explanation
The main design is a patchwork of different pieces, and it has a bit of a "Frankenstein" feel to it. And how did Frankenstein come to life?... So playing off that, here's how this pokemon evolves:

It begins life as a baby pokemon called Voodoll, taking punishment as it is given, and doling pain back out to intended victims. There's not much the baby can do about it. It's a sad little pokemon. Voodoll gets key moves like Pain Split and Metal Burst, to represent how its primary role is to take abuse. As time goes by, the pokemon gets more and more beat up (Ah, Beat Up... another perfect move it should learn).

The "kill spot" for any real voodoo doll, is the heart. With a pin to the heart, the intended victim is supposed to die, and according to legend, the magic of the voodoo doll dies at the same time. Well this pokemon has a slightly different twist on that theme.

The pin to the heart is actually part of a magic evolution ceremony, for young Voodolls to mature. The ceremony is held in the middle of a thunderstorm. The steel pin punctures the heart, and acts as a lightning rod for a thunderbolt to strike. When the lightning strikes it, the Voodoll evolves into a new raging form (just like Frankenstein's monster is animated by lightning). In the new form, the pokemon does not just take punishment, but dishes it out as well... Beware the black magic wrath of -- Voodoom!

Voodoll learns Thundershock by level-up. If a Voodoll levels up with the move Thundershock in its moveset, then it evolves into a Voodoom. Just like how Mamoswine evolves from a Piloswine with AncientPower. Same thing here, but it signifies the thunderbolt ceremony that allows this pokemon to gain a "new life".

Ok, so you get the point. Volt Absorb and Lightning Rod, ftw.

Closing Thoughts
I tried out a few different designs during this art thread, and had fun with all of them. But, once I sunk my teeth into the voodoo doll concept, I really became interested and tried to flesh the idea out all the way. I think this is the first time I have actually designed a pre-evolution for my main design in a CAP project.

I feel like I know these characters inside and out. Regardless of whether they win or not, I have thoroughly enjoyed the creation process, and I appreciate all the feedback and support from the CAP art enthusiasts in this thread. There are many fantastic submissions for this CAP, and I look forward to seeing which one we choose!

Here's what I believe will be the last piece of supporting material for my voodoo doll design. It shows how it can remove the needle from its chest and use it like a wand for casting spells and launching special attacks. Here it is blasting the heck out of something...

http://a.imageshack.us/img841/963/voodooblast2.jpg

I'm putting together my final submission now. I should have it done before morning.
In the same way that Voodoom can use the needle to cast spells and what-not, it should also use it to absorb electricity since the needle itself is already infused with electricity (according to the flavour).

EDIT: I didn't read the previous post. I'd like to see Voodoom absorbing and incoming T-bolt or T-Wave

DougJustDoug

In the same way that Voodoom can use the needle to cast spells and what-not, it should also use it to absorb electricity since the needle itself is already infused with electricity (according to the flavour).

EDIT: I didn't read the previous post. I'd like to see Voodoom absorbing and incoming T-bolt or T-Wave
I just updated the supporting art to show a picture of it absorbing lightning. Thanks for the suggestion!

^TO add to above, that neddle could git incredibley well as the Lightning Rod aspect. Volt Absorb may take a little more creativity though.
I explain both abilities in the section of supporting material titled "Evolution and Ability Explanation".

Well, I'm firmly behind DJD's design, and I love his working name, Voodoom.

I liked Wyverii's deesign, but the whole "heart gets filled by electricity" thing seems very forced. While it's a nice design, it's being forced to jump through hoops to fit the concept.

Final Submission

Main design:

I just returned from vacations and saw there was left only one day to submit the artwork, so I worked on the first idea that came out and ended in this, a Lemur Pokemon.

This nocturnal Pokemon utilizes it's five limbs with the dexterity of an expert fighter to take down it's foes, it has an incredible sharp sight even on total darkness.
It can also sense the electric shocks of the moving muscles of a nearby Pokemon, an ability it needs to develop while standing up on it's long tail, taking the form of a lightning-rod on the thunderstorms and receiving lightnings directly on it's body.

Final Submission

I promised myself last time that I would actually enter one of these instead of just lurk, so here goes:

Final Submission: Chiropterror, the blade wing bat, the Butcher bat

Supporting Art:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quotes:
Chiropterror wander the countryside at dusk, challenging swordsmen in hopes of finding a worthy partner.

Chiropterror swarms can be seen swooping below oncoming thunderstorms, each clamoring for position to eat the next bolt.

Backstory
: After the types had been chosen I kept on coming back to bats as a good representative for a dark type, but was stumped at first on how to incorporate the secondary fighting type. I tried to think of unrepresented martial arts in the pokemon world. We have our boxer and kickboxer, our brawler and sumo, but Kendo, was nowhere to be seen. Chiropterror fills that niche of the dark swordsman pokemon.

The design takes elements from traditional Kendo uniforms, and armor, with the nose mimicking the kendo faceguard.

Once volt absorb was chosen I bulked him up and decided he was fat enough that he needed to eat lightning. It makes an excellent high energy snack in a swordfight :)

(support pics incoming)

I've decided not to enter because I doubt there's any chance of me winning and I'm going through a very difficult time; my DS just broke. :'(
Good luck to everyone else.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Main Design

This mystical tribal pokemon uses the sharpened bones of deceased pokemon to pierce its own body to attain spiritual enlightenment through pain and sacrifice. Once a connection with the spiritual has been obtained, this pokemon will cover its body with bright, permanent markings that represents its newly found ability to transcend the physical world and control non-physical energies. This pokemon has a deep respect for both the physical and non-physical aspects of life and death.

Clans of CAP11s engage in wrestling tournaments, to enhance their connections to each other, to increase their strength, and to continue their spiritual journeys through pain and endurance. They are driven to continuously better themselves and so are constantly training and fighting.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I am really enjoying a lot of the other designs, it's gonna be a hard vote. I thought of a neat idea yesterday but I didn't have time to make something new. I think Paras Hilton's is close enough to what I had in mind (and better than what I would have come up with) so I'm not dissapointed I didn't get to do it :)
Good luck everyone!

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Final Submission

CAP 11
The Tribal Pokemon

MAIN DESIGN

SUPPORTING MATERIAL

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Reference sketches

DESCRIPTION

"CAP11" is a nocturnal creature that lives deep in the jungle. They form close-knit tribes with other members of the same species. The leader of the tribe can be recognized by its highly decorated armor pieces. Teamwork is important and if one member gets attacked, the others will rush in to combat the foe.

The entire tribe partakes in elaborate rituals which often involve sparring matches. These matches aren't just about competition. They're also a learning opportunity for young members, who are taught to use their inner strength and not just their physical strength. The one who wins the most matches is bound to become the next leader. Another one of their rituals involves the warding off of evil spirits and ghosts.

Their "Storm Ritual" is particularly exciting. During a thunderstorm, a new tribe leader climbs the tallest tree it can find and stretches out its arms towards the heavens. Lightning is drawn towards the golden arm plates and courses through its body. It's quite a sight to behold! Enduring enough lightning strikes eventually builds an immunity to them and seals its place as leader of the tribe.

OldManDugan's entry is brilliant i love the character and the unique colouration of the design. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2857203&postcount=639

Im really suprised this design has not got more love. i think its a really good envisioning of the design and the flavouring and animalistic touches are spot on. My main reservation about the design is the sword finger conceptually it seems good but at the same time i think its oversized. It would have been great if you had posted before, not just because your artwork is amazing but also because the process of criticism could really have moulded your submission into something great. Still i think you have a fair chance of getting through to the voting stage as, as i've already said its brilliant well done.

Saying that im not sure the sword entirely fits with the special attacking theme.

Surprise kickass last minute entry from OldManDugan! That's a very appealing design with clever nods to the Kendo look. Also, a superb piece in general with careful attention to shape and lineweight. I hope we get the chance to see more of your work in the future!

Aragorn's tribal panther also gets me excited. The recurring angular patterns are fun and the whole design is just very vibrant. A fun allusion to Volt Absorb that you capitalize on in your Dex is how it absorbs lightning in its gold pieces. Gold conducts electricity very well, and it's just kind of cool how that turned out for your mesoamerican design which would naturally have gold references anyway.

Along with Buffalo's, my three favorites at the moment.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
dugan and ab out of nowhere!

i know you'd posted a design before, aragornbird, but i hadn't seen much of it wip-wise and the final product is a big surprise, it looks great

oldmandugan that thing is mean, my only concern though is that it doesn't seem to match the stat spread. it looks bulky, slow and physical, and cap 11 is supposed to be quick, (relatively) fragile and a special attacker

Final Submission

Final Submission

Main Design:

WHO REMEMBERS ME!? NOBODY!? Good! Last minute entry yay.
I hope to get at least 1 more vote than on the last CAP I entered in.
....So, that'd mean I'd need to get... Uh... 2! HERE'S HOPING!
Not expecting to win. 0% chance, really. It doesn't even look Fighting-Type.
I WAS going to put bandages on its legs, but eh. Mostly entered this for fun..~ Weee.
Edit: Put some terribly drawn bandages on his left leg. WHY NOT!?

Anyway, for some sort of Supporting Material... Here's some text?
Uh... It conducts electricity with those horns. It then absorbs, and stores it in its yellow eyebrow storage pouch thing.
The original name for Volt Absorb, in Japanese, is "Electricity Storage". So I think it works, I guess... Meh.
It also uses its horns as a launching pad to shoot off Special Attacks. It gathers energy from those storage pouches.
It's very very stealthy, though not TOO physically strong. Its claws and horns are mostly for show, and gripping on branches.
Similar to the real Chameleon, it has three claws on the "outside", and two on the "inside". Rather weird looking.
They don't particularly use them for stabbing or anything. It uses its balled up tail for bashing things, though.
It loves standing on its front limbs. Was going to draw a small picture, but I didn't. Oh well.
If you want an idea of what I was thinking, it was very similar to Bulbasaur's Diamond/Pearl/Platinum sprites.

Some Images:
-Original Concept Art
-Refined Pencil Drawing
-Finished Art without those bandages

For those people who like when they give their drawings names, I don't really have one, sorry.
I've just been calling it "Stealthy Chameleon", pretty much. Yay for ninja-like chameleons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)