CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 11b - Attacking Moves Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice Punch
Paleo Wave
Sucker Punch

Ice punch is just a less powerful Ice Beam, so it's good. I can see it being used on a bulk up set maybe.

Paleo Wave is a signature move. It shouldn't be put in. It just does what Ice Beam already does.

Sucker Punch is absolutely necessary. One of Togekiss' biggest enemies is Starmie. Since CaP 11 is a synergy pokemon, it needs something to take care of this. Sucker Punch would do the job.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ice Punch
Paleo Wave
Sucker Punch

I feel that one move is missing from the poll, and that's ThunderPunch. As I've stated in my post in the other (now locked) thread, ThunderPunch is pretty weak (super effective ThunderPunch is considerably weaker than a neutral Close Combat), and is not a good weapon against the things it hits super effectively (except against Gyarados, which you'd really rather use HP Electric against).

Also I don't get why a few people aren't bolding Ice Punch when Ice Beam is allowed

Ice Punch
Paleo Wave
Sucker Punch

If Ice Beam is allowed, so too should Ice Punch. I think having Ice Beam allowed is a whole bunch of crap, though, because HPIce is sufficient to deal with both Zapdos and Dragonite, but whatever. I guess that's what I get for being busy over the weekend and unable to post! Anyway, both Sucker Punch and Paleo Wave are too much. We have Ice Beam, which is stronger than Paleo Wave, and I am firmly against having too many options on this CAP that we cannot have predictable coverage moves. I am also against Paleo Wave for philosophical reasons; it is a CAP signature move and should stay that way. Sucker Punch lets us murder poor Starmie and do non-negligible damage to a slew of other faster things, which we shouldn't be able to do. If those Pokemon can get in, they should threaten Voodoom.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ice Punch
Paleo Wave
Sucker Punch

Ice Beam is allowed, so Ice Punch makes sense. Paleo Wave is a signature move, I see no good reason to put it on another CAP, particularly with Ice Beam. Sucker Punch was a tough decision, but Starmie can cause serious problems for Togekiss, so if CAP wants to use a moveslot for beating it, why not?

Ice Punch
Paleo Wave
Sucker Punch

A few things that people aren't getting here.

1. The likely situation is that these moves will be used on physical sets. Ice Punch IS outclassed by Ice Beam, so it's obvious there. However, this is also true for Sucker Punch because Sucker Punch has some serious competition in the mixed/special set. By beating Starmie guaranteed, you lose to some other threat. That seems like kind of a bad option to me. Speaking of which,

2. Sucker Punch is not about beating Starmie or not beating Starmie! It's about the unpredictability of the set, and tipping the scales against Starmie. As it stands, if Starmie switches into Togekiss, it has a hard choice to make. If it uses its STAB, Togekiss might stay in and take it. If it uses Thunderbolt, Voodoom might switch in. It's honestly not necessary to turn this into beating Starmie. What? Gengar?

3. Gengar commonly runs Substitute. Seriously, guys, please remember what threats commonly use before saying, "ZOMG SP BEATS GENGAR!"

All that said, I'm voting to disallow Paleo Wave because it's not necessary to steal a signature move for anything on this CAP. I'm also voting to disallow Sucker Punch because there's no point in tipping the scales against Starmie or potentially making a physical set so extremely effective. Someone mentioned SubPunch + Sucker and... uh... yeah.

Ice Punch
Paleo Wave
Sucker Punch

Sucker punch can kill starmie alakazam and gengar and isn't that useful otherwise. Ok tha doesn't matter much. Its a tutor move that poke would probably get anyway. Check.
Again we have a weak attack stat so if someone did a physical set ice punch could be nice, but it doesn't do much good. Hey move tutor move again it makes sence. Paleo wave is repetative and a signature move, I'd rather not hijack it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)