CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 13b - Complete Movepool Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
bugmaniacbob
Rising_Dusk
Jibaku

Top for obvious reasons. Other than that, top priority was no Ice Beam, and RD and Jibaku were my favourites out of those that excluded it (which was a lot more than I expected).

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Jibaku
capefeather
danmantincan

I'm actually a little bit disappointed that 0 out of the 9 movepools include Mean Look or Block. :(

A lot of movepools were pretty good, but I am adamant that the level-up movepool is one of the most important things in the entire stage of the CAP. There are very few movepools that show a significant level of time investment in what makes sense, fits Voodoom, the order of moves, the way he evolves (and how movepools should reflect that), even down to the levels at which all of the moves are learned. These are all very important, and I can tell that at least half of these movepools don't even understand what an evolved Pokemon's movepool should look like! That shows, and maybe random people won't pick it up, but I will. I am also not going to vote for anyone that doesn't explain their decisions, regardless of how excellent their movepool might be. This is a very important stage of CAP, perhaps the most important, have the willpower to explain what you're doing when you do it. If I have to ask myself questions when reading your movepool that you do not answer in your post, then you will not get my vote.

I also had some competitive and very specific flavor notions in voting that I found very important:

• No Ice Beam/Blizzard
    • Face it, they're not necessary. I explained in my movepool why they aren't, so I won't clutter this post with anything else on the topic. Just trust me, though, we should make a CAP that needs a Hidden Power. God forbid we make actual Pokemon, right?
  • Includes Superpower
    • Come on. This is like the biggest "I AM HE-MAN, ROAR" Fighting-type move in the game, and Voodoom has the build that without it, I'm apt to punch the movepool maker square in the jaw. (Line up, boys, ugh!)
  • Taunt
    • He needs Taunt. It's important. Deal with it. I am a proponent that defensive Pokemon should not be the death of Voodoom, but that repeated beatings should be. I designed his stat spread with this in mind, so I can safely say that Taunt is very fair and very important. Yes, I know that this is a pretty cop-out explanation, but I'd rather not tl;dr this thread too much.
  • Thunder Wave
    • Body Slam is utterly unreliable and doesn't even carry STAB, so no one will use it. This Pokemon really needs Thunder Wave for niche team-ups with Togekiss. All of the offensive Pokemon that Voodoom lures will hate paralysis, and that it matches so well with the Pokemon that Togekiss really wants to be paralyzed is so perfect.
  • Psycho Shift
    • Yes, please. Not only is this like the coolest mother effin' move in the game, you can get it as an egg move from TOGEKISS! Only myself and EM did this, though, which is a tragedy, but at least capefeather included the move in his movepool. EM totally stole it from me, though; it was my idea! MINE! :P Regardless, this move is awesome on Voodoom because Togekiss doesn't like status, blahblah, so Voodoom is immune to Thunder Wave and can reverse the rest of the status effects. Amusingly, this is also one of the coolest gimmick moves available on Voodoom, as it's a 90% accurate burn move if you run a Flame Orb. Not that this helps with most of Voodoom's checks and counters (oh God, Heracross), but it will be hilariously fun to try regardless.

My votes are for the following, in that order:

Rising_Dusk
capefeather
Elevator Music

Okay, well, fortunately my own movepool meets all of my requirements for a movepool. (How sad would it be if it didn't?) It also has just the right level of flavor, all organized as needed, etc. Also, about this Electric-type move to evolve stuff, just adding an Electric-type move at level 19 or whatever seems like a cop-out. Go look at Mamoswine! I know that Yanmega and a bunch of others form a more secure trend than just Mamoswine, so I can't really hold it against movepool makers. Still, I don't like that interpretation, so this banks on opinion more than anything. It was because of this, and because capefeather has all of the moves I deemed necessary (except Superpower, screw you! But I'll forgive you for that) that he got my #2 vote. I had to pick between Jibaku and EM for the 3rd slot since they both screwed the Electric-type move to evolve business, but I went with EM's because his level-up movepool makes a lot more sense to me and he has Psycho Shift on the movepool (from Togekiss no less! Yay for mutual ideas!). Jibaku has way too many level 1 moves and way too many random heart scale moves for my tastes. Voodoom doesn't need that many HS moves, and honestly, I don't actually think it needs any.

So those are my votes. I hope that my explanations have shed some light on movepools and what I expect of them, etc. Good luck to all entrants. PS: I know this post is pretty intense, but don't take offense from it if you're a movepool maker I railed on a bit. I just take this stuff pretty srs. :P

capefeather
Rising_Dusk
Jibaku

Rising_Dusk, while I agree with most of your post, I disagree with your bit about evolutionary moves. Having just checked out as many Pokémon that evolve by this method as I could remember, Piloswine is the only one that gets its move the way you described. All the others I looked at (Lickitung, Tangela, Yanma, Aipom, Bonsly, Mime Jr.) learn their moves later on. For example, Lickitung, Tangela and Yanma all get theirs at Lv33. I'm not trying to discredit your opinion in any way, I just feel like saying that your method is the correct one when only one 'real' Pokémon out of seven uses it is a bit unfair.

DrkSlay
petrie911
bugmaniacbob

I'd rather this thing have Ice Beam. Will Voodoom fail without it? No, probably not. Will Voodoom be broken with it? No. Voodoom is not really that powerful. Ice Beam just gives it a little extra power. Its offensive stats aren't great so an added bit of power is fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)