CAP 18 CAP 18 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Thermantle

From thermal, i.e. heat, and mantle, which refers to many things: the earth's molten interior, the squid's external body, and the vampire's cape.

Pronounced: ther-MAN-tle
IPA: θɜrmæntəl

Final Submission

Krakentoa

Kraken (the squid-like sea monster of legend) + Krakatoa (either the volcanic island or the explosive)

Pronounced: CRACK-in-TOE-uh

Last edited:
Final Submission

Squidneous

Squid (what this cap is based off) + Igneous (relating to fire/a type of rock formed by the solidification lava)

Pronounced: "SKWID-nee-uhs"

Final Submission

Scallid

Scald (burn caused by water) + Hell (well, it's inspiration was the "Vampire squid from Hell") + Squid (It's a squid)

Pronounced: "SCAL-id"

Final Submission

Phlogisquid

From Phlogiston, the element that was thought to cause combustion before oxygen was discovered, and squid.

Pronounced: flow-JIS-quid

Final Submission

Poulpyra

Poulpe ("octopus" in French) + pyra (altered form of "pyre")

Pronounced: pul-PIE-ruh

Final Submission

Sulphore

Sulphur (Burning stone, assiciated with hell, brings out fire typing) + Photophore (Key feature of Vampire Squid, ties in with burning stone which burns blue)

Pronounced: sul-FORE

Final Submission

Quidslvania

Squid + Transylvania; removed the y to fit character limit.

Pronounced: "Kwid-sol-vayn-ee-uh"

WIP

How about Calormare, pronounced "Cal-uh-mar-ay"

Corruption of "calamari", which is fried squid in Mediterranean countries, Calor is latin for heat, and Mare is latin for ocean.

This is cool, it might work better on the pronunciation if in had, say, a "y" at the end of it. So "Calormarey" or you could even go "Calormaray". It seems like that could work better as far as pronouncing it right when you see it. A mare is also another animal (female sheep, I think?) so it could be confusing. Now who knows if it'll even matter, this may not get picked anyway. But it's still a good one :)

Final Submission

Holoquid

Holocaust+Squid. Fires, Floods are all holocausts, while the caps a squid.

Pronounced: HOLLOW-kwid

Final Submission

Lavamari

Lava (reference to fire type/volcanoes, more specifically underwater kind as part of possible habitat) + Calamari (referring to the squid).

Pronounced: Lah-vah-mah-ree

Final Submission

Calormare

Corruption of "calamari", which is fried squid in Mediterranean countries, Calor is latin for heat, and Mare is latin for ocean.

Pronounced: Kal-ore-MAR-ay
IPA: kælɔərˈmɑreɪ

After some consideration, I stuck with my original post, simply because I like the way it sounds/looks over calormari.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)