CaP 18 Pre-Evo - Part 1 - Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey guys! It is that time again! Volkraken was completed a little over a week ago with all its dex entries... And now it's up to us to create its prevo! Once again I am going to try slimming this down as much as I can. Which means each thread will only be open for approximately 24 hours! I've run a few of these before, so please get involved!

There are only a couple of rules for the prevo process, number one of which is this is a completely flavour based project. The whole prevo process is just for fun! Some of the critters we have made in the past have been adorable but deadly! Competitive reasoning is thrown out of the window here, and all flavour based reasoning is perfectly valid. "It just makes sense" is just as much an opinion as any other. This is a place where anyone can come in and help us decide what Volkraken should evolve from.

As the title of this thread suggests, here we will be discussing the type of Volkraken's prevo. Naturally, Water/Fire is already instantly slated as that is what Volkraken's type is. Feel free to suggest other viable alternatives and discuss them. Please don't try and be clever by suggesting something like bug/dragon or something... It'll make you look like an idiot.

Please also remember these are likely to never be implemented onto the server or used apart from in CaPASB. This is supposed to be a fun process. It's a great time for newcomers to get their feet wet in CAP, a great place for CAP regulars to keep making Pokemon during the downtime, and overall just a cool project to work on during the Policy Review stage of the CAP process. The primary purpose of this is to have fun, so let your imaginations run wild devising the most intricate and logical arguments for our little Volkrakid!

I think the little mini-kraken should be pure Water and should gain its secondary typing by evolution. Several Pokemon do this already and I just think it would be a smoother fit if the mini-kraken didn't have to try to stretch itself to be both Water AND Fire, flavorwise at least.

I suggest that Water/Fire remains for the Prevo's typing, due to reasons regarding simplicity. I don't see a need to change it.

Also, like Malaconda and Cawmodore before it, I'd like to see the Prevo keep its parent's typing.

Water/Dark looks interesting, being an unique and flavor-fitting type. Also, it gives interesting options for a level-up move pool.

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think the little mini-kraken should be pure Water and should gain its secondary typing by evolution. Several Pokemon do this already and I just think it would be a smoother fit if the mini-kraken didn't have to try to stretch itself to be both Water AND Fire, flavorwise at least.
damn i was gonna say that...

I second this. It makes a lot of sense, especially as it is a water-based pokemon. I would not really mind Water / Fire, but I think Water is the best choice.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think it should stay Water / Fire personally, as I don't see all that much reason to change it. I could easily see a pre-evolution of Volkraken being Water / Fire, and mono-water or Water / Dark just don't fit in my head.

Volkraken also shares some similarities in appearance, I believe, with Jellicent, Malimar and Volcarona, all of whom have one pre-evolution with the same typing.

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
seconding Water / Fire because all other Poke-cephalopods - Tentacool, Frillish, Inkay, even Remoraid - keep their typings as they evolve.

However, Water also makes sense to me because you find stuff like this when you look up 'baby vampire squid' and I can't really see that as a Water/Fire type.

Hmm...
I say Water.
Because... I don't know. I want it to be different from the other Poké-cephalopods. Not mainstream.

I'm gonna say mono-Water

Most two-stage Water-type families start with mono Water: Magikarp is mono-Water but gains Flying as Gyarados, Shellder is Mono-Water but gains Ice as Cloyster, Staryu is mono-Water but gains Psychic as Starmie, the list can go on and on. It just feels correct to make it mono-water

Last edited:
Pure Water makes good sense to me. The fiery part would be undeveloped in that stage.

Of course, all the cephalomons keep their types upon evolving, so Fire/Water would be acceptable to me too.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I agree with this as well. IIRC, one of the movepool submissions actually structured the level-up moves based on this assumption. While it didn't win, I feel the flavor of mono-water fits much better than Water/Fire.

I don't see much sense in making it something other than Water or Water/Fire. Being a sea creature there's no way it would be pure Fire, and there isn't really another type that could take the place of Fire in a pre-evolution.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, I'll just throw out here the list of egg moves for Volkraken:

Aqua Jet
Assurance
Captivate
Scary Face
Tickle
Water Pulse

Throughout the process, remember that our prevo is capable of using these moves.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna say mono-Water

Most two-stage Water-type families start with mono Water: Magikarp is mono-Water but gains Flying as Gyarados, Shellder is Mono-Water but gains Ice as Cloyster, Staryu is mono-Water but gains Psychic as Starmie, the list can go on and on. It just feels correct to make it mono-water
Seel, Shellos, Corphish, Poliwag, Piplup, Froakie, Tympole, Mudkip and Horsea are the only other Pokemon who follow this. While that list is big, the rest have the same type upon evolving or their secondary typing changes.
Slowpoke, Chinchou, Tentacool, Omanyte, Kabuto, Lotad, Frillish, Mantyke, Ducklett, Carvanha, Tirtouga, Spheal, Barboach, Wingull and Wooper all keep their type upon evolving. I think keeping Water / Fire typing would be following the trend.

Slowpoke, Chinchou, Tentacool, Omanyte, Kabuto, Lotad, Frillish, Mantyke, Ducklett, Carvanha, Tirtouga, Spheal, Barboach, Wingull and Wooper all keep their type upon evolving.
I think it's worth noting that three of those are fossil Pokemon.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think we're all in agreement that the primary typing should still be Water, so that's a great starting block at the very least. Between Mono Water and Water/Fire, I personally am in more favor of Water/Fire. Volkraken's movepool makes me think that we might have too many potential limitations for it's prevo if we cut out Fire from the typing... (Potentially) Losing a lot of fire moves just doesn't seem like a good idea to me personally. I wouldn't dislike a pure Water typing, but I think it's the best alternative that is available in the event that Water/Fire doesn't win in the polls.

Regarding Water/Dark (which has only been briefly mentioned up to this point), I think that it could work in theory, as Volkraken does have a few dark moves. However, as we cannot add any moves that Volkraken doesn't know, I think it might be tough to try to have that much of a variety in the dark moves. It's certainly possible, but I think it would be harder to come up with movepools for a Water/Dark Volkraken prevo than that of a Water/Fire or pure Water typing. That said, in terms of the artistic side of things, I think Water/Dark also has some pretty good potential for some awesome designs.

Hi,
I've lurked for majority of this CAP and quiet a few others, and one type combo I haven't seen suggested for the prevo is Water/Normal.
the idea came to me when I was thinking of the Fletchling line and how it goes from flying/normal to flying/fire
its only one example, but I thought it was worth bringing up.

I actually have a few choices. Pure-Water makes sense as it just leaves Fire and Water/Fire makes sense because Volkraken is Water/Fire. A few other ideas are Water/Dark. Adds a few possible moves it could learn and since it is sea-monster based, it would be at the bottom of the ocean so to speak. This just speaks to me as Water/Dark. Also, since I picture the pre-evolution as a squid-like creature, Water/Poison also makes sense as the ink would add a Poison aspect to it.

Water/Fire and Water should be the only typings considered. Any other suggested typings are suggested for the sake of it and would not fit flavourwise. Out of the two options previously mentioned, Water/Fire seems like the logical choice for many reasons:

1) There is no need to change the typing. You can imagine a Volkraken prevo being Water-Fire just as much as you can imagine Volkraken being Water-Fire
2) Precedence. The Tentacool line, which has often been compared to Volkraken, keeps its typing upon evolution. This applies to other similar Pokemon such as the Frillish line and the Inkay line.
3) Even more precedence. EVERY Pokemon with a secondary typing of Fire keeps its secondary typing upon evolution. NO evolved Pokemon with a secondary typing of fire doesn't have a prevo also with a secondary typing of fire. This includes the Litwick line, the Houndour line, and the Larvesta line.

While I wouldn't argue too much against Water, there is no need to change the typing whatsoever, and precedence dictates that in this case the typing should remain the same.

My main reasoning for Water is that the prevo is a sort of normal vampire squid living underwater. When it absorbs heat from underwater vents, (touches a Fire Stone), it becomes Volkraken.

I'd also suggest Water/Dark simply because I have an idea behind it, that, in my opinion, fits very well, at least flavour-wise.
Dark types usually have also dark colours, which fits perfectly well for a sweet little pre-evo that still has to hide itself in the black depth of the sea to avoid being a prey for stronger species.
Volkraken, mighty and evolved as he is, has no further need to hide, thus loosing the dark type in exchange for the fire type making it a Heat Hunter of the deep sea.
What do you guy's think about that idea?

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Water/Fire seems cool enough, Volkraken learns moves like Fire Spin and Flame Burst early on, and Eagle4 mentioned a bunch of more technical reasons why Water/Fire is the more reasonable choice. Volkraken learns more Fire moves than Water moves and looks just as fiery as it does aquatic in my opinion. It was difficult to decide between Water/Fire and Fire/Water in the Final Product because Volkraken really doesn't look like one type more than the other IMO. Its prevo should follow suit, so Water/Fire is the better choice.

I am leaning towards Water/Fire because it seems like the most fluid, natural-feeling progression with the most precedent. I would not be opposed to Water either, the Fire Stone argument is the best push in its favor for me. Any other type feels like changing the type for the sake of changing the type, Water/Normal in particular; only Bibarel shares that type and a beaver is way more common ("normal") than an octopus/squid/whatever our prevo will based on. You only add Normal to a type (instead of leaving it without a secondary) if they are common land animals, usually.
Water/Poison and Water/Dark: these are alright, and I can imagine art for them, but as I said they feel like changing the type for the sake of it. Typings don't tend to change into Fire from something else. Although I suppose Fire Stone could fit for these too, especially with a Water/Dark prevo since that typing is less elemental. Any other typing wouldn't fit flavorwise at all.

This is all without considering Volkraken's movepool. The biggest push in Fire/Water's favor, and plain Water to a lesser degree, is the lack of restriction with the movepool.

Water/Flying flying fish Remoraid parallel yes

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pure Water seems like the best idea to me. A large majority of Nintendo pokes only gain their secondary typing once they reach their final evolution, plus it would fit more into the idea that the Prevo goes from being a nice, tame squid to a large fire-breathing Kraken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)