Metagame CAP 1v1 - Moveset Submissions [MrDollSteak promoted to co-lead!]

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

CAP1v1 Metagame Moveset Submissions

Hello everyone, and welcome to the birth of a new metagame: CAP1v1! This is a metagame we'll be implementing on CAP Metagame, while the CAP1v1 metagame is an off-shoot project designed to make a more accessible metagame that does not require teambuilding.
  • CAP1v1 is a mash-up of a few different metagames. It has the bring three, pick one Team Preview of 1v1 proper, but your bench of three Pokemon is randomized from a pool of pre-determined movesets for CAPs only, similar to randbats.
  • We will be following the lead of 1v1 Metagame Format for our initial banlist and rules. This is obviously subject to change as our metagame evolves over time.
  • This is meant to be both fun and competitive. We'll have a variety of movesets available, from standard to outlandish, but our goal is to have a metagame that is fairly balanced. We will utilize moveset changes to buff and nerf certain CAPs as needed in this metagame in the future.
Here are the play restrictions for CAP1v1:
  • Accuracy Moves Clause: Pokémon cannot use accuracy-lowering moves such as Mud Slap.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot intentionally prevent an opponent from being able to end the game without forfeiting.
  • Evasion Moves Clause: Players cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two Pokémon with the same National Pokédex number on a team.
  • Dynamax Clause: A player cannot use Dynamax.
  • Only FE Create-A-Pokemon are allowed in the metagame.
  • Focus Sash is banned.
  • Moody is banned.
  • Perish Song is banned.
The thread is OPEN for submissions for further CAP1v1 movesets!

Code:
Use :capname: for a minisprite (e.g. :jumbao:)
:jumbao:
Jumbao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm
- Shadow Ball
  • Below, write why you think this set would be a good addition to CAP1v1. There are three general approaches you can take:
    • [CAP-Like] Make a set that showcases how the CAP functions in the CAP metagame (BD Cawmodore)
    • [1v1-Like] Make a set that is inspired off of a pre-existing 1v1 moveset (Pyroak based off of Venusaur Stall)
    • [Unique] Make a set that utilizes how spicy CAP movepools can be (Pajantom nonsense)
  • You are welcome to submit as many movesets as you like, but follow the above structure for each submission.

To start, I will be approving and denying all sets. That being said, I'll be talking with CAP veterans and 1v1 veterans to get an idea of what sets would be good for a starting metagame. I will be looking for variety in the sets posts (the three bullet-points above), so if you see a gap, try to fill it. Don't take it personally if I deny your set. When will this go live? It all depends on how many movesets we get and how quickly; it could be as early as next week! Alright, let's have some fun and get these submitted!

EDIT: I've been talking with the 1v1 community, and Boat agreed to write a guide on EV optimization. You'll see it directly below this post. While I absolutely believe that EV optimization is important, don't beat yourself up over optimizing too hard at this point in the game. It's hard to figure out what exactly to optimize for when we don't even have a playable metagame yet! So do your best and post what you got; no pressure!

Approved Initial CAP 1v1 Sets
:syclant:Scylant: Choice Specs | LO Taunt | Choice Band
:revenankh:Revenankh: Choice Band | Glare + Rock Slide |
:pyroak:Pyroak: Amnesia + Acid Armor | Choice Specs |
:fidgit:Fidgit: Disable + Encore | Choice Specs | Choice Band |
:stratagem:Stratagem: Choice Specs | Choice Scarf | Passho Sub |
:arghonaut:Arghonaut: Wacan Berry Yawn | Choice Band | LO Priority |
:kitsunoh:Kitsunoh: Choice Band | LO Punches | Shuca + Torment |
:cyclohm:Cyclohm: Kee Berry Charge | Choice Scarf |
:colossoil:Colossoil: Rock Tomb | Flame Orb FO |
:krillowatt:Krilowatt: Minus + Magnetic Flux | CounterCoat | LO Four Attacks |
:voodoom:Voodoom: Chople Berry Charge | Choice Specs | Lum Berry |
:tomohawk:Tomohawk: Stall | Prankster Yawn | Choice Specs |
:necturna:Necturna: LO SS | Spore + Sub | Choice Band |
:mollux:Mollux: Choice Scarf | Power Herb Solar Beam | Air Balloon
:aurumoth:Aurumoth: Choice Scarf | Choice Specs |
:malaconda:Malaconda: Chesto Rest | Choice Scarf | Sub Sitrus |
:cawmodore:Cawmodore: Sitrus BD | Actual Nonsense | Choice Specs | Choice Band |
:volkraken:Volkraken: Choice Scarf | Choice Specs | Reflect Type Air Balloon |
:plasmanta:Plasmanta: LO Magnet Raise | Choice Specs |
:naviathan:Naviathan: Double Dance | Double Dance 2 | Choice Specs |
:crucibelle:Crucibelle: Chesto + Coil | Choice Scarf | Shuca + Sub |
:kerfluffle:Kerfluffle: Petaya Dream Eater | Choice Specs | WishTect |
:pajantom:Pajantom: Assault Vest | Sitrus + Imprison | Choice Band |
:jumbao:Jumbao: Choice Scarf | LO Sub |
:caribolt:Caribolt: Magnet SD | LO SD | Choice Specs |
:smokomodo:Smokomodo: LO Taunt | Choice Band | LO Bulldoze |
:snaelstrom:Snaelstrom: SD + Acid Armor | Stall |
:equilibra:Equilibra: Choice Scarf | Choice Specs |

Last edited by a moderator:

Boat

fuck nintendo
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Well this is a surprise to see. I dont have any sets to submit cause I don't know anything about cap, but I figured i would write something here about EV optimization. EV Optimization is super super important in 1v1, 252/252 is almost never used. It's very common to invest in three, four, five, or even all six stats. As an example, here is a set I use a lot for Gen7.

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 104 Def / 28 SpA / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Thunder
- Roost

28 SpA Zapdos Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Porygon-Z: 312-367 (100.3 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 240 HP / 136+ SpD Zapdos: 320-380 (83.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Donphan Ice Shard vs. 240 HP / 104 Def Zapdos: 92-110 (24.1 - 28.8%) -- 98.4% chance to 4HKO

EV optimization lets you fine-tune what matchups you win to improve reliability. The Zapdos posted above makes the Scarf PZ, Specs Gren, and Groundium Z Donphan matchups reliable with proper EVs. If I was using any 252/252 set, I would lose to at least one of those Pokemon. So, here's a general guide on how to do it correctly. I'll do this as an example by optimizing the above Jumbao set. I don't know CAP at all, so it won't be perfect, but hopefully its a good demonstration of the process.

Figure out your defensive, offensive, and speed benchmarks.
- Speed is the easiest, so we'll start with that. Scarf Jumbao hits 342 Speed with no investment, and 480 with maximum investment. So, we'll look at Pokemon in that range. There are a couple CAP Pokemon in that range, but most of them are either lost causes (can't beat them even if we outspeed) or we don't need to outspeed them to win. The one that stands out to me is Scarf Tomohawk; it can 2HKO us with Hurricane, so let's outspeed it. Max Speed Tomohawk hits 442 Speed, so we'll go faster. This requires 168 Speed EVs and a Timid Nature.
- There are a couple defensive benchmarks I see, but again I think Tomohawk and Necturna would be good examples. Our speed is worthless if we get OHKO'd. Here are a couple important rules for bulking stuff.

1. Investing in Defensive/Special Defense is more efficient for one side of the spectrum unless HP is significantly lower than the stat in question. For example, Aegislash's low HP stat makes investing in HP more efficient.
2. Investing in HP is more efficient if you need to bulk stuff on both sides of the spectrum. For this reason, it is better to have EVs in HP rather than a particular defensive stat if you can help it.

Choice Band Necturna looks like a threat, with its access to Poison Fang. Let's bulk it. Remember the rule that it's more efficient to invest in HP to survive attacks on both sides of the spectrum? Well, now is the time for that. Note that sometimes you have to remove HP EVs if you overbulk. For example,

252+ SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Jumbao: 330-390 (85 - 100.5%) 252/64 isnt enough
252+ SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 68 SpD Jumbao: 326-386 (84 - 99.4%) 252/68 is too much
252+ SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 68 SpD Jumbao: 326-386 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- 248/68 is just right

I'm going to focus on Timid Tomohawk for the sake of example. We will invest in enough HP to get us past Hurricane, then invest in enough Defense for Poison Fang.

252 SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Jumbao: 320-378 (84.4 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Necturna Poison Fang vs. 216 HP / 92 Def Jumbao: 316-376 (83.3 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Cool, so we have our Defensive and Speed benchmarks. In this case, we can dump the rest into SpA to ensure we hit as hard as possible, but for other Pokemon it's possible that their offensive capabilities are most important. In that case, you should do all of your offensive calculations before your defensive ones. I focused on defensive benchmarks in this case because they are much harder. I'm not the clearest writer but I hoped this helps you optimize your EVs. If you ever need something optimized, PM me cause i live for this stuff. Final spread,

Jumbao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drought
EVs: 216 HP / 92 Def / 32 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Solar Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Last edited:

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Fidgit @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Disable
- Sludge Wave / Earth Power
- Protect

This may be a great Pokemon for CAP 1v1. Admittedly, I am more versed with the 1v1 more than the CAP aspect of this, but the general gist is that Fidgit will be sent out, with Frisk finding out if they are fighting a Choice Item user. If they are Choiced, they would Protect turn 1 or disable immediately, depending on whether or not you are faster or slower, respectively, in order to force them into struggle. Against set up Pokemon, they would Protect turn 1 once more, to either lock them into their setup option if they use a setup move turn one, and start chipping them away with their attack to win, or lock them in to a weaker attack and hopefully disable it and knock it out. CAP wise, this shows off the utility options at Fidgit's disposal, uniquely situating it when compared to the rest of the metagame.

As a side note, there is a similar Pokemon, Aromatisse, that runs a Encore Disable strategy in 1v1, which is extremely successful, netting it a B+ ranking on the VR, because as long as it can tank any 1 hit from a Choice Item user (a plurality of the metagame), it will do well
Aromatisse @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Encore
- Disable
- Moonblast
this is that aromatisse set. It has to run trick room in order to supplement its poor speed, which Fidgit does not need to worry about.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is an awesome project Birkal! Thanks for setting it up and getting the ball rolling. Also thank you to Boat for the very helpful guide about EVing. I haven't had the time to edit my spreads yet to factor these in, but I will aim to do so shortly.

I wanted to start by submitting a movesets for our CAP Starter Pokemon! Because what better way to draw attention to CAP?

:Caribolt:
Caribolt @ Magnet
Ability: Galvanise
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Double-Edge
- Quick Attack
- Power Whip / Horn Leech

This is Caribolt's bread-and-butter set for good reason and subsequently a [CAP-like] addition that I think will showcase this Pokemon's unique traits. There's not much to say regarding the move choices except for the choice regarding Horn Leech and Power Whip, in this case greater power I believe is preferable considering Caribolt's low bulk.

:Smokomodo:
Smokomodo @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Attack / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Superpower

This set is somewhat [Unique] as it uses some of Smokomodo's unique Move Pool options, specifically Taunt, to defeat more passive Pokemon. The EV spread and Life Orb allows it to outspeed and OHKO Pokemon like Colossoil, Aurumoth, Naviathan, Equilibra, Specs Volkraken and Jumbao. It works quite similarly to other Life Orb 1v1 Pokemon such as Bisharp and Excadrill. The final EVs have been dumped into HP to give it a tad more survivability.

:snaelstrom:
Snaelstrom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acid Armor
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Life

I believe this is a good set for CAP 1v1 because it is [1v1-Like] and takes advantage of a few of Snaelstrom's unique attributes, specifically its good passive healing from Poison Heal and occasional chip damage from Spiky Shield. This set is similar to some of the bulky recovery sets such as Gastrodon and other bulky offensive Pokemon such as Scrafty. Spiky Shield is important because it guarantees that the Toxic Orb activates. The aim of this set is to take advantage of Snaelstrom's immunity to status and constant passive recovery to set up both Acid Armor's and Swords Dances to overwhelm opponents. Leech Life is the only selected attacking move because there are no immunities towards it and it provides further passive recovery. A Careful nature is selected to maximise its special bulk and to ensure that its attack stat isn't reduced.

I will aim to post a few more later but figured these were somewhat unique ones to begin with!

Last edited:

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kitsunoh @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Strike
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake

This is far more basic than my last one, but Trick + Choice Item in a 1v1 setting is insanely good, essentially serving as a permanent Encore, which beats every form of stall and setup, if Kitsunoh tricks on a setup move. Outside of that, its pretty standard coverage, with Kitsunoh relying on its excellent defensive typing and above average speed to 2hko whatever stands against it and live attacks. EV's a pretty standard, its hard to optimize w/o knowing what specifically will be top tier.

Boat

fuck nintendo
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Caribolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Rapid Spin is great speed control. Giga Impact uses Galvanize to become an absolute nuke. Power Whip is nice coverage. Life Orb isn't the greatest item, but the recoil is offset by Horn Leech. Swords Dance + Horn Leech gives Caribolt a fighting chance again stall.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
176/152 defense also helps in this matchup being able to live a Banded Jolly Zeraora’s Close Combat. Rock tomb is important in this matchup because Zeraora will often run Air Balloon, and Rock Tomb breaks Air Balloon letting you hit Zeraora with Earthquake the next turn. The 176 Hp will allow Colossoil to live a Modest Choice Specs Dragapult’s Draco Meteor and kill afterwards. Taunt helps in stall matchups where Colossoil’s power is incredibly helpful in breaking stall after it has been taunted.
Only CAP Pokemon are allowed here. Regular Pokemon are not, so eving for them is oof

IBM

Banned deucer.
:Colossoil:
Colossoil @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Take 2. Hp for big bulk. Atk for big damage. Rock tomb for speed control. Flame orb for big damage. Everything in this meta that we would outspeed at -1 with speed evs kills us t1, or we would kill if we just used one of the stab moves. :I Taunt stops shenanigans.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
:volkraken:
Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator / Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat / Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Power Gem

This is both a [CAP-like] and a [1v1-like] set. Scarf is a staple on Volk, and the somewhat unique Infiltrator allows it to push through certain SUbstitute users. The lack of switching in the format renders Analytic somewhat pointless thought it is still slashed to get some more guaranteed KOs on faster Scarfers like Crucibelle. 180 Spe with the Scarf outspeeds Scarf Jumbao and below allowing it to be OHKOd. 136 Special Attack is used to guarantee the OHKO on Fidgit's Disable set with Hydro Pump, as well as the 2HKO on Kerfluffle with Surf, and the OHKO on Necturna with Overheat. The rest of the EVs have been placed into HP to make it bulkier, it notably survives the 2HKO from Equi's Earth Power. Overheat has a higher BP and slightly higher accuracy than Fire Blast though a few 2HKO matchups reliant on fire moves such as against Naviathan and Plasmanta might get sacrificed depending on how they EV, so it may be worth using Fire Blast in certain situations then.

EDIT: As Lkjc pointed out there's no need to outspeed Jumbao since it doesn't 2HKO with Solar Beam, subsequently I've lowered its speed to Modest 204 (to outspeed max Scarf Mollux to allow it to 3HKO it with Power Gem) to allow it to run 248 HP (which is enough to survive a Stone Edge from max attack Jolly Scarf Crucibelle and OHKO with Hydro Pump if running Infiltrator or Surf with Analytic) and raises its Spa to 56 for a little bit of extra power.

Last edited:

IBM

Banned deucer.
180 Spe with the Scarf outspeeds Scarf Jumbao and below allowing it to be OHKOd.
I’m sorry, but why do you need to outspeed scarf Jumbao? Solar beam doesn’t OHKO even with no defensive investment so you’re safe to use less speed evs and find a new speed tier.

252+ SpA Jumbao Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Volkraken: 208-246 (60.9 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
:flarelm:
Flarelm @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Amnesia
- Iron Defense
- Rest
- Bullet Seed

Flarelm has good bulk with eviolite + its ability which prevents crits. These are excellent qualities for a PP stall set. Amnesia and Iron Defense are to boost the appropriate stat based on what you’re fighting. Rest is to heal and help with PP stall as you don’t waste turns while sleeping. Bullet Seed is a high PP move that does damage to slowly wear down opponents, and so you aren’t completely dead after you’ve been taunted.
NFE mons are not allowed for this metagame

yes, its stupid.

Boat

fuck nintendo
Cyclohm @ Kee Berry
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Charge
- Slack Off
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor

Charge and Kee Berry let Cyclohm boost it's defensive capabilities on both sides of the spectrum. Charge + Thunderbolt lets it hit very hard, and eventually break stall in conjunction with Slack Off.

To start off, I will go with 2 sets that've helped me immensely against most mons in CAP-
Pajantom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Comatose
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Outrage
- Leech Life
- Spirit Shackle
Outrage and Spirit Shackle allow for powerful STAB options, while Leech Life hits Dark types for supereffective damage, and acts as a hard counter to Malaconda. Brave Bird allows for high damage on bulky Snaelstrom/Malaconda/Jumbao. Against Steel/Fairy types, however, I'd suggest sticking with Spirit Shackle as it would be the best option for consistent damage output. The assault vest gives Pajantom 388 SpDef which allows it to comfortably tank special Ghost/Dark/Fairy/Dragon moves. Knock Off remains an imminent threat, as does any physically offensive mon that outspeeds Pajantom
Caribolt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Galvanize
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Boomburst
- Energy Ball

Special Caribolt set to make use of Boomburst. With Galvanize and STAB, it turns into a 252 powered nuke that is insanely spammable. Energy ball hits Ground and Rock types very hard, Flash Cannnon for coverage, and the last move slot is really not fixed. Frenzy plant and Hyper Beam are options that can be used as one-hit nukes. Choice Specs is necessary in order to boost Caribolt's mediocre SpA stat.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
Tomohawk @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect
- Taunt

oof its so late. Pretty simple set, if you live any one given attack at a threshold of about 35% or so, you autowin. Taunt is run to beat potential Rest users or opposing Taunters, but these won't be super common, given the hyper offensive reality of this metagame. The EVs are designed to provide almost equal defensive bulk

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
:mollux:
Mollux @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 92 HP / 164 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Eruption / Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Another [CAP-like] and a [1v1-like] set. Scarf was a previous staple set for Mollux in earlier generations that can be used to great effect in 1v1. As others have previously stated, Trick with Scarf is devastating in this format. 164 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow it to outspeed max speed Syclant. Maximum Special Attack was chosen because its pretty necessary for scoring OHKOs and 2HKOs on some of the threats such as Aurumoth, Naviathan and Necturna. Fire Blast can be run instead of Eruption depending on how certain other Pokemon EV to maintain 2HKOs on them because of the HP loss, but in general this set is about going first and winning.

EDIT: Have changed it from Timid to Modest to get the most out of its EVs! Basically an extra 10 Special Attack for nothing.

Last edited:

Sanshokuinsumireko

I got the baddest bitches in anime
Stratagem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Paleo Wave
- Trick/Dazzling Gleam

Stratagem is a strong and fast Special attacker in this CAP 1v1 metagame. With Earth Power it allows you to hit Poisen type such as Crucible and Mollux for super effective damage. While Fire Blast is used for Steel and grass types such as Kitsunoh and Caribolt. Paleo Wave is your stab rock type. Trick can be used to cripple stall mons. Dazzling Gleam can be used alternatively to hit VooDoom.

This Pokemon can be compared with Dragapult in early SWSH 1v1. It has both respectfully damage and speed however,Like dragapullt I feel this pokemon well get overwhelmed by the bulk of pokemon coming in. Pokemon such as Scarf Darmanitan-Galar,Who as we all know never runs bulk in 6v6, were running bulk just to survive fire blast from scarf dragapult.

Tol

Retirement house
friendly reminder that a more in-depth ev guide written by a cool user already exists i dug through old 1v1 forums for this for a solid 10 minutes, you're welcome
boat's guide is an okay baseline but if you really want to get into O P T I M I Z E D E V S read that
also, just out of curiosity, why are you making the teams forcibly randomized? I understand the argument of "yeah you dont have to build it'll be fun like randbats" but with a pool of only 3 pokemon all of which are at least reasonably optimized the potential for a massive amounts of 3-0s at team preview (which do exist in 1v1, of course, but there it is largely the result of skill on the part of the teambuilder, which doesn't come into play here) is huge, which doesn't really sound like fun for anyone. It's not my fault that I didn't get something non choice locked to beat my opponent's Fidgit, which I would have played around if I were able to build my own teams. (as to why this doesn't happen in randbats, 6 pokemon and switching all but ensure you have at least some way of taking your opponent's threats down.) It seems like these games would be almost entirely based on which 3 mons you get, instead of skill. (in my opinion, teambuilding is something like 60% of the skill in 1v1.)

:jumbao:
Jumbao @ Life Orb
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Moonblast
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
Pretty standard offensive jumbao, 252 EVs in speed since jumbao doesn't gain anything noticeable from creeping 317 that it can't get from going max and speed tying other jumbao. Fake out to lead off and leaf storm for pure power. Trace helps mainly versus intimidate cawm but it's just generally useful to scout abilities as well.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've updated the OP with all approved sets so far. I approved basically everything except Fake Out Jumbao (CAP doesn't have Sturdy mons). Remember, we're trying to make at least three sets for each CAP. So remember that even if a CAP set is outclassed by a different CAP, it doesn't matter. You're assigned three random sets in this metagame, so people will be forced to work with what they've got. Keep it up; love the creativity so far!

also, just out of curiosity, why are you making the teams forcibly randomized? I understand the argument of "yeah you dont have to build it'll be fun like randbats" but with a pool of only 3 pokemon all of which are at least reasonably optimized the potential for a massive amounts of 3-0s at team preview (which do exist in 1v1, of course, but there it is largely the result of skill on the part of the teambuilder, which doesn't come into play here) is huge, which doesn't really sound like fun for anyone. It's not my fault that I didn't get something non choice locked to beat my opponent's Fidgit, which I would have played around if I were able to build my own teams. (as to why this doesn't happen in randbats, 6 pokemon and switching all but ensure you have at least some way of taking your opponent's threats down.) It seems like these games would be almost entirely based on which 3 mons you get, instead of skill. (in my opinion, teambuilding is something like 60% of the skill in 1v1.)
We chatted about this in Pokemon Showdown a little bit, but I wanted to make a public answer. The goal of CAP1v1 is to provide a more accessible and intuitive way for people to interact with CAPs and just have fun. Not everyone has the desire to learn our metagame (even though it isn't too far off from OU), but just wants to try out our creations. Having a metagame that is 'for fun' with randomized CAPs given to you certainly delivers on that concept. As the 1v1 community, y'all will not find this as in-depth as you find your actual 1v1 tier. Similarly, CAP veterans will not find CAP1v1 to be sufficiently deep compared to the CAP metagame. At the end of the day, it's a more simplistic marriage of both that anyone can pop into and have a good time for a match or two.

Last edited:

Tol

Retirement house
:syclant:
Syclant @ Choice Specs
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hyper Beam
bog standard specs set, went special over physical because i wanted to get literally anything out of the ability, jesus christ this things ability pool is awful
240 speed is to beat out Kerfuffle and I threw the 16 into hp cause why not
Syclant @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Taunt
the same set but with lorb and taunt so you dont die to disablecore strats/cheese mons

for my fav cap mon this thing is really kinda bad- back in a bit when I figure out what the fastest sleep inducer is so I can ruin your nice metagame Birkal

pqs

Banned deucer.
well now i look stupid because tol sniped me af, i had all 3 sets but i now i guess i can post the one because the other two are just copies
Syclant @ Choice Band
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Leech Life
- Superpower
- Earthquake / Stone Edge

This set is mostly [1v1-like] due to it being somewhat of a physical glass cannon, where if you can't KO the opponent turn one with your immense speed and great attack, you're most likely going to die from any offensive presences, especially those which it's weak to. I prefer an Adamant nature over Jolly due to it giving the best odds against 252 HP Fidgit. A Jolly nature can be good though if you wanna outspeed and KO max Speed Voodoom, at the cost of Fidgit's reliability. Earthquake can take down miscellaneous threats that Superpower can't already cover like Plasmanta. Stone Edge is very niche coverage against opposing Scyclant and should only be used in the case of having a Jolly nature to speed tie them.
252+ Syclant: 375 Speed
252 Scyclant: 341 Speed

252+ Atk Choice Band Syclant Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fidgit: 392-464 (99.4 - 117.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Syclant Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fidgit: 356-422 (90.3 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Syclant Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Voodoom: 436-514 (135.4 - 159.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Syclant Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Plasmanta: 520-616 (199.2 - 236%) -- guaranteed OHKO

IBM

Banned deucer.
:volkraken:
Volkraken @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Overheat
- Hydro Pump
- Hyper Beam
- Power Gem

This set utilizes Volkraken’s relatively low speed and Analytic ability to become a nuke with choice specs. The set uses minimal speed to get the maximum out of analytic and max Hp because the set always needs to live one hit from whatever it’s facing. Overheat and Hydro Pump for powerful dual stab, Hyper beam for anything that resists the main stab attacks, and Power Gem for extra coverage.

:Krilowatt:
Krilowatt @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Minus
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magnetic Flux
- Rest
- Whirlpool
- Imprison

This set uses Magnetic Flux + Minus to work as a boost to both defenses. Rest and Sitrus Berry provide recovery, and whirlpool works as chip damage without needing to invest in an attacking stat and is independent of the opponent’s defense boosts. Imprison is a tool against opposing stall to prevent them from using rest to heal the damage that Whirlpool does. The speed evs are to outspeed max speed Jolly Pajantom.

:plasmanta:
Plasmanta @ Life Orb
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Aura Sphere
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave

This set is a bait for the Ground types in this meta. Magnet Rise removes Plasmanta’s major weakness to ground and Aura Sphere and Psychic are perfect coverage moves to hit the ground type CAP pokemon. (Colossoil, Equilibra, Fidgit) Sludge Wave is used as the main STAB attack and beats pokemon like Caribolt and Jumbao. The speed EVs are to outspeed max speed Jolly Colossoil to ensure Magnet Rise is used before you can get hit by a ground type attack.

Sanshokuinsumireko

I got the baddest bitches in anime
Hello, this is one of the resources we do in the 1v1 tier. As you know Speed Is an important things we factor in as we build so, I made a speed tier list to help with the problem. I made this because I know that many 1v1 people have never touch CAP before so here is some help.(If there are any problems let me know I'll edit it in.)

Min Speed = 0 IVs + Reducing Nature + 0 EVs
-Nature = Reducing Nature + 0 EVs
Bulky = 0 EVs
Fast = 252 EVs
Max Speed = Increasing Nature + 252 EVs

Any instance of a Speed increasing item, ability, or relevant element will also be mentioned.

Bear in mind that, this early on, the Speed Tiers will be approximations about what is good or not, and may have more speed tiers than are actually relevant.

Speed Tiers:
146:Bulky Malaconda
152:Bulky Necturna
156: Bulky Equilibra,Pyroak
162: Bulky Snaelstrom
166: Bulky Revenankh
175: Min speed -Nature Volkraken
187: Bulky Arghonaut
188: Bulky Mollux
196: Bulky Cyclohm
203: -Nature Volkraken
206: Bulky Tomohawk
209: Fast Malaconda
215: Fast Necturna
219: Fast Equilibra,Pyroak
224: Bulky Aurumoth
225: Fast Snaelstrom
226: Bulky Volkraken,Colossoil
228: Bulky Jumbao
229: Max Speed Malaconda, Fast Revenankh
230: Bulky Smokomodo,Naviathan
236: Max Speed Necturna,Bulky Plasmanta
238: Bulky Pajantom
240: Max Speed Equilibra,Pyroak
244 Bulky Crucibelle
246: Bulky Krilowatt,Fidgit
247: Max Speed Snaelstrom
248: Bulky Caribolt
249: Max Speed Arghonaut
251: Max Speed Revenankh,Fast Mollux
252: Bulky Crucibelle-Mega
256: Bulky Voodoom, Kitsunoh
259: Fast Cyclohm
269: Fast Tomohawk
272: Bulky Cawmodore
273: Max Speed Arghonaut
274: Bulky Kerfluffle
276: Max Speed Mollux
278: Bulky Syclant
284: Max Speed Cyclohm
287: Fast Aurumoth
289: Fast Volkraken,Colossoil
291: Fast Jumbao
293: Fast Smokomodo,Naviathan
295: Max Speed Tomohawk
296: Bulky Stratagem
299: Fast Plasmanta
301: Fast Pajantom
307: Fast Crucibelle
309: Fast Krilowatt, Fidgit
311: Fast Caribolt
313: Fast Choice Scarf Malaconda
315: Max Speed Aurumoth,Fast Crucibelle-Mega
317: Max Speed Volkraken,Colossoil
319: Fast Voodoom, Kitsunoh
320: Max Speed Jumbao
322: Max Speed Smokomodo,Naviathan,Fast Choice Scarf Necturna
328: Max Speed Plasmanta,Fast Choice Scarf Equilibra,Pyroak
331: Max Speed Pajantom
335: Fast Cawmodore
337: Max Speed Crucibelle,Fast Kerfluffle,Fast Choice Scarf Snaelstrom
339: Max Speed Krilowatt, Fidgit
341: Fast Syclant
342: Max Speed Caribolt
343: Max Speed Choice Scarf Malaconda, Fast Revenankh
346: Max Speed Crucibelle-Mega
350: Max Speed Voodoom, Kitsunoh
354: Max Speed Choice Scarf Necturna
359: Max Speed Stratagem
360: Max Speed Choice Scarf Equilibra,Pyroak
368: Max Speed Cawmodore
370: Max Speed Kerfluffle
370: Max Speed Choice Scarf Snaelstrom
373: Max Speed Choice Scarf Arghonaut
375: Max Speed Syclant
376: Max Speed Choice Scarf Revenankh
388: Fast Choice Scarf Cyclohm
394: Max Speed Stratagem
403: Fast Choice Scarf Tomohawk
409: Max Speed Choice Scarf Arghonaut
414: Max Speed Choice Scarf Mollux
426: Max Speed Choice Scarf Cyclohm
430: Fast Choice Scarf Aurumoth
433: Fast Choice Scarf Volkraken,Colossoil
436: Fast Choice Scarf Jumbao
439: Fast Choice Scarf Smokomodo,Naviathan
442: Max Speed Choice Scarf Tomohawk
448: Weak Armor +2 Bulky Aurumoth
488: Fast Choice Scarf Plasmanta
451: Fast Choice Scarf Pajantom
460: Fast Choice Scarf Crucibelle
463: Fast Choice Scarf Krilowatt, Fidgit
466: Fast Choice Scarf Caribolt
472: Max Speed Choice Scarf Aurumoth
475: Max Speed Choice Scarf Volkraken,Colossoil
478: Fast Choice Scarf Voodoom, Kitsunoh
480: Max Speed Choice Scarf Jumbao
483: Max Speed Choice Scarf Smokomodo, Naviathan,
492: Max Speed Choice Scarf Plasmanta, Pyroak,Tailwind Bulky Fidgit
496: Max Speed Choice Scarf Pajantom
502: Fast Choice Scarf Cawmodore
505: Max Speed Choice Scarf Crucibelle,Fast Choice Scarf Kerfluffle,
508: Max Speed Choice Scarf Krilowatt, Choice Scarf Fidgit
511: Fast Choice Scarf Syclant
513: Max Speed Choice Scarf Caribolt
514: Max Speed Choice Scarf Fast Revenankh
525: Max Speed Choice Scarf Voodoom, Choice Scarf Kitsunoh
538: Max Speed Choice Scarf Stratagem
552: Max Speed Choice Scarf Cawmodore
555: Max Speed Choice Scarf Kerfluffle
562: Max Speed Choice Scarf Syclant
574: Fast Weak Armor +2 Aurumoth
591: Max Speed Choice Scarf Stratagem
618: Fast Tailwind Fidgit
630: Weak Armor +2 Aurumoth
678: Max Speed Tailwind Fidgit

Last edited:

Tol

Retirement house
:arghonaut:
Arghonaut @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall
- Yawn
- Protect
oh BABY ive missed you snorlax- yawn on a bulky mon that hits hard has been a 1v1 staple for as long as there's been a 1v1, and lord and savior arghonaut fills this role here. yawn+stabs, electric resistberry cause special attacking electric types are for nerds, and protect buys time
:crucibelle-mega:
Crucibelle-Mega @ Crucibellite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 100 Atk / 168 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Coil
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer
even without head smash, this thing's still a beast. speed's for caribolt

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)