CAP 26 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This thread is open for WIPs, comments, and final submissions for the design of the CAP 26. Important considerations that will come into play over the course of this thread are base stats and abilities. Please see the process guide for clarification on the timing of these decisions and for the timing of the closure of this thread. Warnings will be posted multiple days ahead of submission closure.

EDIT: This thread will close 48 hours after Secondary Ability Poll results are posted.

Posting Rules

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted.

Posting Frequency

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, thread-hogging will be moderated. If you wish to add new comments or art, but don't want to hog the thread, please consider editing your most recent post to add new content.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not bump art or beg for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the CAP Discord channel or the CAP PS Room for open real-time discussion on CAP art.
  • Images posted are subject to the following rules:
    • They must be in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
    • They must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full-sized image, meaning:
    • The image is at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
    • The image has a file size of no larger than 200 kB.
  • Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • Out of courtesy to users with lower bandwidth, artists must include a warning when posting links to images with file sizes exceeding 500 kB.
  • The use of hide tags does not circumvent or alter any of the image posting rules.
Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Please DO post constructive feedback for artists.
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not comment that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon and therefore such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted.
  • Do not repost images from the thread. When quoting a post, remove any images.
Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, the Main Design included in image tags below that, and supporting material (if applicable) below the main design.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.
By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP Pokedex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • The image must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background. The background cannot be transparent.
  • The image must be a 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • No part of the Pokemon may be cut off by the canvas.
  • The Pokemon must be in full color.
  • The design must have a distinct outline on the entire subject in contrast to the subject and background. Colored outlines are allowed but must not obstruct the clarity of the design.
  • No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (i.e. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • The image must not include offensive or obscene imagery, or be intended to mock or insult the project or other users.
  • The image must be in .jpg, .png or .gif format.
  • The image must be at least 320 pixels and at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
  • The image must have a file size of no more than 200 kB.
  • The image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza, Ezimba.
The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

-----

CAP 26 so far:

Concept:

Name - The Future is Bright!

Description - A Pokemon that makes usage of the 'delayed-attack' moves - Future Sight and/or Doom Desire

Justification - Given we're attempting to create a Pokemon that uses one of two specific moves, this is an Actualisation concept. Future Sight and Doom Desire are incredibly unique moves, which see limited usage in spite of their high base power, and ability to have a target Pokemon struck twice in the same turn. In using CAP26, the aim is to create a Pokemon that inspires a feeling of being able to trap opponents, to establish win-win situations.

Questions To Be Answered -
  • One Pokemon which has been seen to fairly reliably use Future Sight is Slowking. What can we learn from Slowking about what makes a viable user of Future Sight? On the same token, what has led Jirachi to not be effective at using Doom Desire, and other Pokemon to not effectively use Future Sight?
  • What is the optimum usage of Future Sight/Doom Desire, both on the turn immediately after using the move, and the turn on which the move will land?
  • Should the user of Future Sight/Doom Desire be primarily helping itself, or other teammates. If helping itself, what is the aim? If helping teammates, then what types of teammate?
  • Are Z-Future Sight and Z-Doom Desire mandatory, or just useful tools?
Explantion - Doom Desire is almost one we've done before, as people from the era of Cawmodore probably remember. Whilst little has changed since then, we have seen Future Sight get another power level increase since then.

This isn't a case of using a move which we know can't be used - we can look to Slowking (Future Sight) or Dialga (Balanced Hackmons, Doom Desire) for inspiration on what makes these moves workable. At the same time, we know that they're not automatic locks in spite of their high base power, allowing us room to explore what makes these moves often fall flat.

The beauty of Future Sight and Doom Desire as concept leads is that they don't massively restrict our ability to choose a direction right from the gate - focussing on these moves for their ability to strike twice in a single turn likely produces a Pokemon that is very different from focussing on these moves for their ability to force specific Pokemon out for a teammate to switch in. Whether we create a Pokemon that breaks walls, or pivots around, or supports a very specific partner, or something else entirely, these moves make for a concept that should be both interesting to implement, and with many avenues to explore.
Topic Leader: SHSP

Topic Leadership Team:

Typing Leader: GMars
Ability Leader: Jordy
Stats Leader: Jho
Movepool Leader: G-Luke

Typing: Steel/Ground

Threats:
Switch Ins: Mega Crucibelle, Clefable, Tapu Koko, Most Tornadus-T, Magearna lacking Focus Blast

Counters: Celesteela, Rotom-Wash, Arghonaut, Chansey

Checks: Mega Latias and Latios, Ash Greninja, Volkraken, Mega Charizard X and Y, AV Tyranitar, Landorus-T, Ferrothorn
Primary Ability: Levitate

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This post was automatically generated using mackerel magic!

Collage Link: https://i.imgur.com/hOzdiFT.jpg

Amamama

BARABOY

Birkal

Blastgamer77

Cresselia92

D4rk3r

DougJustDoug

Falchion

Felis Licht

G-Luke

HONK

Kaiju Bunny

Magistrum

Meringue91809

Mova

Neatski

Nuukia

Pipotchi

Professor Mesquite

Quanyails

Reiga

Sgt.Moose

ShunosaurusLii

Slapperfish

Spook

Squidy822

StephXPM

Sunfished

Yilx

YourFavDalmatian

flying moose

judgesludge

pokehimon

thebangzats

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Here's a riddle for you: What has four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and gets obliterated by light in the evening?

A sphinx seems like a natural fit for CAP 26 so far! It fits perfectly with the Steel/Ground typing, what with the Great Sphinx of Giza living in a sandy region and it having adorned with gold. Sphinxes are also known for speaking in riddles, spelling doom for any traveler that fails to answer it correctly. The sphinx's reliance on riddles instead of strength also makes it a good fit for a specially-oriented Pokemon.

The design currently needs a lot of work. I think the design is too "generic fantasy monster" currently and it lacks that spark of inspiration. I'm also hesitant about submitting a third cat design, but for now, it'll do! Thanks to Darquezze, Falchion, MrDollSteak, Sunfished for their feedback already.

Let me know if anyone has feedback and or suggestions! ^^

WIP

Thinkin' about a "cyclops" elephant dude that shoots destructive laser beams out of his false (?) eye. Elephant skulls were thought to be from a cyclops so I thought it might be a fun little design combination to explore.

Last edited:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
WIP
My Work-in-Progress design, based on the Pangolin.

As a burrowing animal with quite distinctive scaly armor, the pangolin by itself is already a great representation for the Steel/Ground typing. I opted for a defensive-looking build for its body since it was decided that CAP26 is going to be a pivot, which will need some bulk to be able to switch in and out often.

Doom Desire is the centerpiece of this CAP, and so my design choice is to make the pangolin form a star when it curls up, since it is a starlight-based attack.

I'm not sure what to use for colors yet, aside from the armor plates being yellow or gold. As always, comments, critiques and criticism is greatly appreciated.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Edit:

(old design)

Based on Horus, and a wandering nomad sort of thing.
slight kappa influence with the cap, with the "bald spot" being replaced with a mirror

https://puu.sh/D3RCY/4dbf17c2fd.png
Here's an additional design, my backup just in case stats are a bit too different.
Based on sunfish and sundials, which go really well together due to sunfish basking in the sun. Thinking it floats around similar to solrock and lunatone

Last edited:

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
WIP

Based on Canopic Jars, Mummification, and Ra the Sun God! I could see it kind of floating to get around. i went for a pharaoh kind of look. you cant see it now but most of the parts are supposed to be metallic looking.

Last edited:
WIP

How about one based on an hourglass. It’s steel itself, the sand is ground, and the theme of time fits both the theme of this CAP (Future, delayed attacks), and how perhaps a Pokemon that wishes to end time (desires doom).

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
WIP

An ancient automation! Based on the Maya calendar and the supposed end of the world in 2012. While it's normally in the state on the left, when it uses Doom Desire it aligns its three main pieces and resembles the wheel-like calendar on the right! While based on the Maya, I mostly wanted this to be a hurrah to indoamerican culture in general, and to lend to its Steel type its covered in gold like the mythical El Dorado, while Ground type lends to the few sandstone-like mineral parts of it.

I'd draw it digitally but my pc went kaput :c not even sure if I'll have a pc by the time final subs come around. Crits appreciated, peace

WIP
How about one based on an hourglass. It’s steel itself, the sand is ground, and the theme of time fits both the theme of this CAP (Future, delayed attacks), and how perhaps a Pokemon that wishes to end time (desires doom).
I think an hourglass mon would be super cool with this concept, and I’m excited to see you flesh this out. My concern with your design so far, though, is that the big arms make it look like a physical attacker, not a special attacker. Awesome idea though!

WIP

sundial-llama!!!! lots of work to do on this one still, pay no attention to the pattern under the hat its not very consistent (:

Out of all the submissions on this page so far, I personally like Quanyails' concept the most because every other submission don't really feel like they will be good at using a special attack like Doom Desire well. They feel like the Doom Desire aspect is forced into the concept rather than one that blends/fits into it.

WIP

Since Doom Desire is a signature move, I think CAP 26's design should make it very clear as to why it should be the second pokemon to receive the attack. Doom Desire is all about time, and specifically, impending doom, and with the steel/ground typing, an hourglass is the perfect basis for the design (I appear to not be the only one with the idea).

I wanted the hourglass pokemon to be reversible (i.e. it actually position itself upside down so the sand can flow). For this reason, I chose a shingleback lizard as inspiration. Shingleback lizards have short stumpy tails that mimic the appearance of their head, and can even walk backwards, so they seemed great as a reversible animal. They also fit Steel/Ground perfectly, with their giant, platelike scales and desert habitat on the Australian outback.

This pokemon can stand upside-down or rightside-up by making a tripod with its head and forelimbs or with its tail and hindlimbs, respectively. Its metallic scales absorb the sun's/star's energy while the sand trickles down, and once the time is up, it shoots a beam of light from its tongue. (Hopefully the tripod-like stance helps give the idea of projectile weapons, so that it is clear that it's a special attacker).

I am drawing it in profile for now while I work out the design. Possible changes I have been experimenting with include:
  • making the hourglass "frame" be composed of two rows of scales on the sides, rather than back scales and belly scales
  • scale design
  • removing the spikes on the legs
  • adding teeth and/or pupils
  • whether the official pose should be the handstand or hindstand
Any thoughts you guys have on any of these or other aspects are much appreciated!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!

Here's the next iteration of the sphinx design! I took inspiration from the library of Alexandria and incorporated glasses with tassels and a cape/scarf/wings made of papyrus scrolls. :) Thanks to Magistrum, MrDollSteak, paintseagull, Sunfished, Zephias, and Zetasniper for their feedback.

I still have a lot of work to do regarding body shape and details, so don't get too attached to this version!

WIP

Who wants to play hooky? :B

A snake with a fishing hook theme (the pattern on it takes cues from fish on fishing bait.) I have a few other backup ideas, but I've been leaning on this one a lot.

WIP

I agree with Ahhhhhh......Clefable's assessment that my previous design was more physically-inclined, so here's what my revised hourglass pokemon looks like. Looks almost meditative, or maybe it's hoarding sand. The pauldron-looking things on its "shoulders" are going to have 12 marks all around it – 4 big and 8 small – to represent a clock.

One downside to this design I see is, it's giving me Bronzong vibes. Color palette may be vastly different – maybe more gold and bronze colors instead of Bronzong's blues – but idk I think it's the "eye" pattern and "teeth" on the hands?

C&C appreciated, thanks :)

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I just designed a Ground/Steel type, but i don't know if the moveset will fit for it...View attachment 166696

I did my best to come up with one...
Constructive crits are welcome!
No one will know if the moveset will fit for their art, since movesets commence once art is actually over.

Try out joining CAPs discord and see if any of the artists there can share insight. I know they are always happy to do so.

https://discord.gg/kBWhas

oh! the designs are nice so far! let me give some feedbacks even tho i dont know anything about the process so far

thebangzats great design so far, i really like where this is going. i would love to see this be able to "unfold" a bit like aegislash into a more battle ready form because it seems totally immobile right now. but im really liking the general direction.

pokehimon , i personally hate gender differences on most subs and i think i dont really like it here either. id say focus on making one look amazing and then start thinking about splitting it in two. right now im not really sure if it looks like it can fight, being so tall and frail looking with no limbs whatsoever. even object pokemon need a bit more to work with imo.

Reiga vulture is an interesting route, i get it. i gotta say i did just think this was a dragon at first though, i didnt know it was vulture until u told me. i think i actually prefer the doomsday clock thingy! but im sure either route will turn out good

HONK i like your style. but i dont get a ground influence from this whatosever. a lot of ground types (and im gunna bet a lot of submissions) flub it by just making it brown, or dirty. maybe try and push urself to incorporate a better ground type theme and it will help the clarity!

D4rk3r what a fun design i love it! just be careful with your squiggles, perhaps look at stuff like sigilyph and emboar for the right amount of pattern without it turning into noise =] keep it up!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!

I ended up getting this out faster than expected thanks to having time on Sunday and successfully experimenting with a cel-shaded style instead of the more time-consuming painting style I've used for past CAP submissions. This is still a WIP, but I'd say 90% of it is ready for submission if Abilities swing our way!

Thanks to the following people who gave me feedback on design elements such as color palette: Darquezze, HONK, lezzy cuttlefish, MrDollSteak, paintseagull, Reiga, Reviloja753, spooktune, StephXPM, Sunfished, warren685.

WIP

Hi everyone! Here is my design for CAP 26.

With CAP 26 focusing on utilizing Doom Desire, I couldn't help but have greed be a defining theme of my design. The Steel/Ground typing further led me to explore the Genie in a Bottle story because of the influence of sand and treasure. My design is essentially a sand based genie that guards a buried treasure chest. It also holds the iconic lamp from the Genie in a Bottle story. However, it looks tacky and just thrown in there (which it is) so it will likely be removed unless people like it. I considered having the genie emerge from the lamp itself, but I thought that was too similar to Aladdin. I also thought it would be cool to have Meowth's gold amulet adorn my design's head (also optional though). I am still unsure how I plan on filling his torso as it is very empty. Possibly gold or silver markings to better convey the theme and steel typing? Also don't worry, I will not be coloring its body blue so to stay far enough away from the Genie's depiction in Aladdin. RIP Robin Williams <3

If you've made it this far thank you. Please let me know what you think and good luck to all the other artists!

I ended up getting this out faster than expected thanks to having time on Sunday and successfully experimenting with a cel-shaded style instead of the more time-consuming painting style I've used for past CAP submissions. This is still a WIP, but I'd say 90% of it is ready for submission if Abilities swing our way!

Thanks to the following people who gave me feedback on design elements such as color palette: Darquezze, HONK, lezzy cuttlefish, MrDollSteak, paintseagull, Reiga, Reviloja753, spooktune, StephXPM, Sunfished, warren685.
I'm a huge fan of this design I wanted to say! I really like the papyrus-looking scrolls on it's chest and back, looks almost like wings which alot of sphinxes are shown having. The only problem I do have at the moment is that it kind-of looks like the pokemon has glasses? I Don't really see why but maybe it fits into some category that I don't know about. Looking good!

Modedit: Please remove images when quoting a post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Doom Desire is a signature move, I think CAP 26's design should make it very clear as to why it should be the second pokemon to receive the attack. Doom Desire is all about time, and specifically, impending doom, and with the steel/ground typing, an hourglass is the perfect basis for the design (I appear to not be the only one with the idea).

I wanted the hourglass pokemon to be reversible (i.e. it actually position itself upside down so the sand can flow). For this reason, I chose a shingleback lizard as inspiration. Shingleback lizards have short stumpy tails that mimic the appearance of their head, and can even walk backwards, so they seemed great as a reversible animal. They also fit Steel/Ground perfectly, with their giant, platelike scales and desert habitat on the Australian outback.
There are a lot of great hourglass designs in this thread, but I think this one is my favorite! I look forward to seeing it in color.

W.I.P
Redid the design on the police shepherd. I tried to remove some of the armoring to help out with the ground type, and removed the red tail to allow more of the brown coloring to show. the discord all seemed to agree that this one looked better than the old version. I had 4 versions of this, but this seemed to be the winner out of the four. When in a chase, it's ears will rotate similar to that of a police siren and glow. The special attacks and doom desire can come from either the cannon-like armor on it's back or it's mouth. I also removed some of the armor plates around it's neck to make it a little less "over-steel", and I thought it helped make it a little more special looking. I Replaced the plates with scruffy, kind of dirty looking fur. The doom desire works to it's origin being based on a K9 Unit dog. If the dog finds your trail and tracks you down, you are doomed. The scent tracking also works a bit with the ground type aswell, knowing how they use dirt tracking to find culprits.

Last edited:
WIP

Here's my design of an hourglass spider. Initially the hour glass was the entire body, but I felt with the Steel typing that it would be much better having a metal main body while having a small hourglass on it, like the red marks black widows have. I'll probably be moving the hour glass to the thorax instead of the midsection, but I wanted to share what I have right now.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)