CAP 26 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

https://i.imgur.com/OqgANxU.png

Obviously way too big an image size, but this IS just a draft after all. Anyway, considering that several people already did Egyptian/Sahara-themed submissions I was worried that mine would be kinda formulaic, but after some encouragement and feedback from the Discord chat I decided to roll with it anyway. With Doom Desire, Steel/Ground, and a special attacker setup, I was wondering what could possibly tie all three design elements coherently, and given that this move is canonically the signature attack of a Mythical Pokemon I knew I had to work with something significant in real-world folklore. I originally considered an Aztec jaguar statue with a reference to the Mayan end-of-the-world calendar but I couldn't make it work as a special attacker, so I went instead with a Sha, or Set animal, the weird scary creature that's associated with the eponymous Egyptian god. Set is described by Wikipedia as being "a god of chaos, the desert, storms, disorder, violence, and foreigners", but also has a positive role as an accomplice of Ra during his daily solar boat trip, so he's not necessarily an evil deity; still, an association with chaos incarnate works well enough with Doom Desire. The Sha itself was associated by the Greeks with their own mythical monster Typhon, further tying into the notion of Doom Desire as a destructive force.

I wasn't sure whether to go with a werebeast feel homaging the common depictions of Egyptian gods as animal-headed people (which is more of a stylization than an actual rendition of their appearance) or a quadrupedal fully animalistic creature, so I sketched both of them for viewer evaluation. I like the top one slightly better but someone on the Discord warned that it looks a lot like Pyroak, cannon-arms especially (they're supposed to be sandblasters, btw). If I do go with the bottom version I'll have it fire its special attacks from its mouth instead. Readers' choice, basically!

Special thanks to Sun, Quanyails, MrDollSteak, and Reiga for helping me improve upon this design!

Modedit: Please place oversized images in link tags.

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP

i figured why not i might as well post my idea even if i dont finalize it! its an extinction meteor (hence the doom part), a giant hunk of steel flying through the sky with its meteor trail full of disintegrated bits and space dust acting as the ground element. before anyone says it looks too physical let me hide behind heatran =]

i think it would make sense for levitate (its a meteor), regenerator (constantly disintegrating, so itll need to regenerate itself to not disappear), flash fire, idk what other abils are being suggested right now but yea =0

Last edited:
WIP

Ok, update #2 on my spider. I moved the hourglass like I said I would and edited the limbs a bit after a friend of mine said the design was a bit too "Sharp". Also edited the head shape a bit and tried to get it into a bit more of a artwork-like position. The back "cannon" isn't final, but that's generally the shape I'd like to keep.

Thoughts?

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

i figured why not i might as well post my idea even if i dont finalize it! its an extinction meteor (hence the doom part), a giant hunk of steel flying through the sky with its meteor trail full of disintegrated bits and space dust acting as the ground element. before anyone says it looks too physical let me hide behind heatran =]

i think it would make sense for levitate (its a meteor), regenerator (constantly disintegrating, so itll need to regenerate itself to not disappear), flash fire, idk what other abils are being suggested right now but yea =0
I really love this one, it's really interesting. Feels very Heatran like as you say, but also ties quite well into existing meteor pokemon like Minior while still feeling unique. It honestly feels like a legendary to me so I want some THICC base stats if it wins.

Modedit: Please remove images when quoting another post.

WIP

this pokemon is offending me, its giving me cretaceous-paleogene mass extinction flashbacks.....

All jokes aside the fakemon is super well drawn, and I agree with the concept of it working with levitate. I do feel like it's missing a little bit of the ground type design-wise, and looks more like a rock type to me. The doom desire part works very well with the concept though.

Good job!

WIP

I LOVE this. Has some familiar elements along with a unique aspect for the typing. It almost looks like it could have fit for psychic or ghost a little better lol, but that's probably just the color scheme. I like the star shape and general vagueness of the face. I'd love to see more supporting art as well. Cool concept, looking forward to the finished design.

Modedit: Please remove images when quoting another post.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here is the linework for my current working design, which I call Armageddon Armadillo.

You can probably guess the real name I call this design, but we need to keep that to ourselves, because rules are rules... ;-)

This design is based on the idea of warfare machines that bring massive destruction (ie. DOOM) from afar, like tanks, battleships, etc.
The pokemon's exoskeleton outer shell looks like an armadillo, but the actual pokemon is protected safely inside. It pokes its head out the top to see where it is going and to target enemies. The big spine blasters on the sides operate like a battleship, launching attacks into the air to hit the enemy later (ie. delayed attacks).

We're still way too early in the process for me to know if this will work for CAP 26. So I'm just doing linework for the moment, and we'll see how this plays out!

Here is the linework for my current working design, which I call Armageddon Armadillo.

You can probably guess the real name I call this design, but we need to keep that to ourselves, because rules are rules... ;-)

This design is based on the idea of warfare machines that bring massive destruction (ie. DOOM) from afar, like tanks, battleships, etc.
The pokemon's exoskeleton outer shell looks like an armadillo, but the actual pokemon is protected safely inside. It pokes its head out the top to see where it is going and to target enemies. The big spine blasters on the sides operate like a battleship, launching attacks into the air to hit the enemy later (ie. delayed attacks).

We're still way too early in the process for me to know if this will work for CAP 26. So I'm just doing linework for the moment, and we'll see how this plays out!
Wow, this looks really good! Reminds me of those weird tank things with the blobs inside of them from Subspace Emissary. Only part that looks a bit off to me is those tank tread feet, though since this is an early sketch I'm sure you'll probably go through a few changes before the final version.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I really like it, but would love to see some like eyes or other facial features as it feels more like a robot and less like a Pokemon without them. The overall shape and design is excellent though!

WIP

Update 3 on my spider! Now in breathtaking color!

Honestly these colors aren't exactly final, since I just practicing my design and decided to apply color with what markers I had on hand. Main things I want to adjust later are making the brown a bit lighter and maybe change the color of the mandibles.

Also, those random lines are eraser shavings I didn't notice when I took the picture. Don't mind them.

Thoughts?

WIP

Second design I was thinking of alongside my hook snake; a carbuncle bilby with a mining theme (the gem is a mining helmet.) Probably doesn't look like a strong, final stage mon or something that uses Doom Desire but that's what drafting is for. Working things out.

WIP

https://i.imgur.com/ynyYRqr.pngAn Ankylosaur, big and heavy and subsequently slow moving, however, a perfect fit for a ground/steel typed Pokemon and a good fit for doom desire as due to this creatures design it would take a while to deliver a massive hit. It looks more like a cartoon Ankylosaur than a pokemon at the moment but I will try to touch it up to feel like a pokemon. All criticism and ideas welcome!

Modedit: Keep oversized images in links.

WIP

An Ankylosaur, big and heavy and subsequently slow moving, however, a perfect fit for a ground/steel typed Pokemon and a good fit for doom desire as due to this creatures design it would take a while to deliver a massive hit. It looks more like a cartoon Ankylosaur than a pokemon at the moment but I will try to touch it up to feel like a pokemon. All criticism and ideas welcome!
I think an ankylosaur is an awesome idea, but right now it definitely looks like a physical attacker. Since hourglasses are a common theme in this so far, what if you made its tail club an hour glass? Maybe the small spots on its side could be tiny hourglasses too, that detach from its body when it uses Doom Desire? That would help make it seem more special-based, would totally fit in with Doom Desire, and would give a unique spin to a fossil Pokémon. Just my two cents on your already great idea!

Last edited:
WIP

Decided to go with Version A out of popular demand and personal preference - I think that one has more personality. There were a few changes I've made since then as well. First the claw-cannons got simplified quite a bit and made into actual hands, so that if he chooses to go on all fours for a more speedy stat spread (which he can), he isn't hampered by having to close up his blasters, which are now simple holes in the palms that convey the same idea but with less detail. Secondly, the sandy tail wisp is forked, like how the tail of the actual Sha is often depicted.

I also gave him a color scheme, with the ruling in my head that he'd have to have as few distinct colors as possible (I counted just seven or eight, depending on if you count the sand outlines as a color). The coloration went through quite a bit of tweaking - he was originally dark brown with red sand wisps but that looked too much like a Fire-type, so I went with a dark metallic gray and paler tan sand at the behest of the Discord chat. I think it looks much better than what I'd gone with originally! The gold and blue are, of course, must-have Egyptian colors.

Feel free to provide feedback as always! If the abilities are decided I'm welcome to suggestions on how to make this bad boy fit them better!

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
ADMIN ANNOUNCEMENT

I made some changes to the Smogon forum setup, so URL links to images hosted on Imgur are no longer automatically converted to embedded "MEDIA" BBCode in posts. If you have seen images showing up with that obnoxious Imgur frame around them, it's probably because of the automatic conversion that was being done by the forum. Now Imgur links will show up as normal URL links. This does not affect regular "IMG" tags, and it does not affect any other image host other than Imgur.

DougJustDoug

I made some updates to my Armageddon Armadillo design sketch:

The feedback in this thread was helpful -- Thanks Blastgamer77 and pokehimon!

I wasn't entirely comfortable with the original tank-tread feet, but it was a thing from my very first idea for this, so I thought I needed to keep it to emphasize the "war machine" look. But I agree those tank legs gave the design too much of a mechanical feel. They just weren't organic enough. And they didn't really fit with the rest of the design aesthetically. So I replaced the legs entirely.

I also added a face to the armadillo. The whole "faux head" thing was me trying to be clever, but I agree with pokehimon it just made it look like a robot. So I gave it an actual face with a stern facial expression, which I think suits it. Just adding the face changes the backstory I have in mind for this, in some fun ways, if I decide to go with this design and give the whole explanation.

We'll see how ability and stats go, but based on informal discussion of how those competitive steps may play out, I think this design could end up fitting nicely. And if not, I have a few other design ideas in mind, that I may sketch soon.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
(Old)

Changes:
  • Changed the face a lot (thanks, a lot of people!)
  • Updated the shading on the face (thanks, Zephias!)
  • Made the head more proportionate
  • Added missing back leg
  • Fixed tangents on the downward-facing scroll (thanks, paintseagull!)
  • Added stripes on the body (thanks, Darquezze!)
  • Made the "graininess" of the sandstone parts more obvious
BaffleTome, Broken Phobias, Cresselia92, Falchion, lezzy cuttlefish, MrDollSteak, Mova, pipotchi, Reiga, Roland le Preaux, S.Court, Sunfished, warren685, Zetasniper

I'll play around with the tail and its colors, maybe more depending on how abilities go.

--

Edit 2019-04-06:

(Old)

Changed the tail to be more snow leopard-like! Thanks to Cresselia92, HONK, Mova, Reiga, ShunosaurusLii, and Zephias for helping with the decision and Darquezze, paintseagull, and Warren685 for the support! :D

--

Edit 2019-04-12: Levitate won, so I'll unveil the version of the sphinx! In many depictions, sphinxes are drawn with the wings of an eagle, so combining that with the librarian aspect gives us papyrus wings. :) I'd still like to make the wings less "there", but this is a good version for now.

Thanks to Darquezze and Reiga for suggesting the accents on the wings, and thanks to Falchion, LegendSlayer, lezzy cuttlefish, Mova, MrDollSteak, warren865, and Zetasniper for additional feedback. ^^

escarlata: Maybe I could add hints to a Wheel of Fate or Mayan doomsday calendar, but I'm concerned about adding more complexity. I think the sphinx being a herald of disaster and/or dooming those who fails to answer its riddles is sufficient!

Last edited:
WIP

Been a while since I've checked CAP, good to see people still hard at work! Here's my 10 cents:

I saw Future Sight/Doom Desire and though time travel was the obvious route, so I went with an eerie clock. It was only after that that I saw the Ground/Steel typing, so I changed it around to make it some kind of exhumed ancient artifact, or maybe a sundial. Not sure about the cog behind the triangle, and the disc needs waay more detail and texture. Any suggestions welcome!

WIP

https://imgur.com/5MNOLUK

Update 4 on my spider! Now without color!

I decided to shorten the front half to be smaller, mostly because it was annoying to draw and it's more realistic to an actual spider. Also fiddled with the legs a bit, having a bit of trouble deciding an exact design for them.

Thoughts?

EDIT: IMG tag wasn't working, so the links all I can do for now. Also, if it looks a bit stretched, thats because for some reason I couldn't get it to look like it originally did without going over the limit. Sorry.

Last edited:

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

https://i.imgur.com/Cj9P5MG.pngI originally started with a living fossil for the base concept, but slowly developed it into something a bit more unique. The end design ended up being some sort of serpentine creature, capable of controlling magnetic chunks of ore for both offense and defense, causing it to resemble a skeletal stegosaur.

Modedit: Please keep oversized images in links.

Quanyails
I like this design a lot and it captures a lot of aspects of the concept but it feel that there is a bit more you can do with the metallic parts on its body that can make it look like it has a bit more "mythical powers" that it probably has. May not necessary be a good idea, but I was thinking that there can perhaps sigils on its neck rings, which can rotate to form words like an Ouija board (and it can even print out the words on its papyrus cloak!). It's something I thought of while writing this that can hit towards the ability to see/affect the future to allow Doom Desire to happen.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
ripperoni pangolin
new WIP
My 2nd Work-in-Progress design, based on the Djinn.

Djinn/Jinn/Genies are supernatural beings that are associated with magical phenomena and sorcery. In literature they assist soothsayers and give knowledge and foresight. Doom Desire seems to mesh well with the djinn because their wish-granting powers are also associated with Jirachi.

The ground typing is of course represented by the sand body parts, which can morph and move according to will. I chose the magic lamp as the main draw of its steel typing, and sits at the top of the mon's head as its headgear in a turban-like fashion. I incorporated Star Sand as an add-on, as it is thematically appropriate. It is used on the face's overall shape and the bracelets.

This is probably the color scheme I'll go with but I'm still open to suggestions. As always, comments, critiques and criticism is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)