CAP 26 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

With Levitate being the likely ability, so comes the death of eleclops. However, in its stead I'm trying to figure out a design for a scale of justice 'mon!

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

As with many others, I was forced to take a new route with my concept. This time around, I decided to base the design on a balancing bird toy, as well as two Egyptian solar deities: The falcon-headed Ra, and the (quite literally) scarab-headed Khepri. The reflective mirror floating above its tail is representative of the solar disc that Ra and Khepri are often depicted with, though bearing an ancient, Poke Ball-esque design, and can be used both offensively and defensively.

WIP

Levitate wins! And so my hourglass buddy has been revised. Now heavily inspired by scarabs in Egyptian mythology, which is "a symbol of this heavenly cycle and of the idea of rebirth or regeneration". The ball under it is actually a perpetually roiling vortex of sand. Maybe it fires off Ground attacks from it, while moves like Flash Cannon will come from the sun gem on its head.

Thoughts?

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Here's another design I've been wanting to get out of my system. I've thought about an astronaut and moondust-themed Pokemon for a while, especially since we got Levitate. It didn't click to me until I found the cool connections that spacefaring and rabbits had. :D It was tricky to make it look dusty without it looking like the Buneary or Bunnelby lines, but I think I succeeded.

• Moondust + dust bunny + moon rabbit
  • Usagi -> USA flag on the moon -> stars (and stripes)

• Ears: space rockets
  • Head: moon + craters
  • Neck: five-pointed star
  • Body: astronaut suit

I've gotten feedback to make the design look more fully evolved as opposed to having proportions like a mythical pixie, and I think that's valid! I just need to figure out how to do so while making sure the rocket ears still look like they can lift the 'mon up. :P

Anyway, this was for fun foremost. I'll submit the sphinx above barring unfitting stats or secondary ability, or if this design gets way more traction. :)

Thanks to MrDollSteak and Sunfished for feedback!

WIP

Levitate wins! And so my hourglass buddy has been revised. Now heavily inspired by scarabs in Egyptian mythology, which is "a symbol of this heavenly cycle and of the idea of rebirth or regeneration". The ball under it is actually a perpetually roiling vortex of sand. Maybe it fires off Ground attacks from it, while moves like Flash Cannon will come from the sun gem on its head.

Thoughts?
Wow, Im a big fan of this design because it incorporates the typing, ability, and doom desire without trying too hard. Im not sure how this ball of rolling sand would work at the bottom, i would definitely try and clarify that cus if it wins it needs to actually be able to be modelled

Since levitate was chosen, here are some levitate cap design ideas. RIP hourglass camel.

Last edited:
WIP

Second pose, holding orb below body: https://i.imgur.com/j8t4H9m.jpg

Reversible hourglass lizard is no more, so my design is now based on winged scarab amulets. I tried to downplay the bugginess and just make a digging, flying creature that's made of steel. The steeliness will hopefully be more apparent once it's colored and shaded, but I'm planning on giving it a hard, steely scarab shell and claws, with brightly colored wings made of Egyptian color gemstones (i.e. lapis lazuli).

Like my earlier design, this pokemon's anatomy still allows it to function as a reversible hourglass. It digs through the earth to gather iron ore, from which it builds a giant steel ball that holds sand. When it holds the sphere above it's body, the sand pours into a hole on its head and enters its body cavity. Once the sphere is empty, it holds the ball underneath its body and spits the sand back into the orb. The movement of sand between the two helps it generate energy for Doom Desire.

Scarabs are associated with the rising and setting of the sun (and by extension, the stars, which Doom Desire is connected to). They are therefore also connected with death and rebirth (scarab amulets were placed on sarcophaguses to aid in rebirth). So the theme of this pokemon might be that it causes death/doom in order to create new life. Seems to fit with its habit of cycling sand back and forth.

WIP

So many great designs already, but decided to throw this out there since I went ahead and sketched it

https://i.imgur.com/fauY1ow.png
It's the Gurren Lagann Rooster

No really

The rooster is said to herald in the sun in the morning, and what is the sun but our closest star? Plus, in Norse mythology, roosters crowing are one of the signs of Ragnarok, the beginning of the end. Plus they can fly, so Levitate checks out.

Tried to give it a sandy texture/color scheme, with gold plating to represent the steel typing, and top it off with a star-shaped gobble.

Things that need work:

The posture. He's way too chonky. See the mini sketch for a better idea of what I think a better anatomy would look like
Those horns on the head. No thematic relevance, might tweak them to look more like a sundial or something at least more aesthetically pleasing
More steel? Maybe?? Possibly on the feet, they're pretty plain
The eyes just aren't working for me, might switch them up a bit too

Who knows if I'll submit an actual finished design but fitting everything into a coherent design for this concept is a welcome challenge

Modedit: Please keep oversized images in links.

Last edited by a moderator:

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
ripperoni pangolin
new WIP
My 2nd Work-in-Progress design, based on the Djinn.

Djinn/Jinn/Genies are supernatural beings that are associated with magical phenomena and sorcery. In literature they assist soothsayers and give knowledge and foresight. Doom Desire seems to mesh well with the djinn because their wish-granting powers are also associated with Jirachi.

The ground typing is of course represented by the sand body parts, which can morph and move according to will. I chose the magic lamp as the main draw of its steel typing, and sits at the top of the mon's head as its headgear in a turban-like fashion. I incorporated Star Sand as an add-on, as it is thematically appropriate. It is used on the face's overall shape and the bracelets.

This is probably the color scheme I'll go with but I'm still open to suggestions. As always, comments, critiques and criticism is greatly appreciated.
I Actually like this design a lot more than your older one. One thing I would change is its eye color. Personally, I think it should have bright eyes, not a dark red color which is what it has now.

Modedit: Remove images when quoting a post.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

I've changed my design quite a lot due to levitate, and me just getting annoyed with the sand arms I was trying to draw. Another design I'd been talking about on discord with others over the past few weeks was an armored Gorgon or Naga with elements of gold woven into it. I've since added crystals and envisioned it as a floating serpent in a similar vein to Rayquaza. The colour scheme isn't ifnal and I would love some more feedback on it before taking it any further.
Thanks to TwilightWing and Sunfished for giving suggestions and advice.

Last edited:
WIP
I've changed my design quite a lot due to levitate, and me just getting annoyed with the sand arms I was trying to draw. Another design I'd been talking about on discord with others over the past few weeks was an armored Gorgon or Naga with elements of gold woven into it. I've since added crystals and envisioned it as a floating serpent in a similar vein to Rayquaza. The colour scheme isn't ifnal and I would love some more feedback on it before taking it any further.
Thanks to TwilightWing and Sunfished for giving suggestions and advice.
I quote like this, although the Hexes and shape are more than a passing resemblance to 50% Zygarde, was that intentional?

I'm going to do some friendly constructive criticism!

WIP

Based on:
Dragon(?)
Ophanim
Rota Fortuna (Wheel of Fortune)
Lady Luck
Ornate Clock
Hourglass
Sand/Sand dunes
This is a really cool design! However, it looks a bit busy. A good way to fix this would be to tone down the details; make the crests on its head smaller, and maybe shrink the spikes on the ring as well. Additionally, it doesn't look very steel type. The darker brown color on the ring and feet make it look as if it's made of clay. I would suggest changing it to a more metallic color.

WIP

Been a while since I've checked CAP, good to see people still hard at work! Here's my 10 cents:

I saw Future Sight/Doom Desire and though time travel was the obvious route, so I went with an eerie clock. It was only after that that I saw the Ground/Steel typing, so I changed it around to make it some kind of exhumed ancient artifact, or maybe a sundial. Not sure about the cog behind the triangle, and the disc needs waay more detail and texture. Any suggestions welcome!
This design is very original! I'm not usually a fan of object pokemon, but you're definitely pulling it off so far. I only have one gripe with the design at the moment; the eye is very unfitting. It looks cool, and I'm definitely a fan of the Egyptian aethestic, but it doesn't look very "pokemon". Try making the eye a lot more simple, perhaps something akin to unown.

WIP

So many great designs already, but decided to throw this out there since I went ahead and sketched it

It's the Gurren Lagann Rooster

No really

The rooster is said to herald in the sun in the morning, and what is the sun but our closest star? Plus, in Norse mythology, roosters crowing are one of the signs of Ragnarok, the beginning of the end. Plus they can fly, so Levitate checks out.

Tried to give it a sandy texture/color scheme, with gold plating to represent the steel typing, and top it off with a star-shaped gobble.

Things that need work:

The posture. He's way too chonky. See the mini sketch for a better idea of what I think a better anatomy would look like
Those horns on the head. No thematic relevance, might tweak them to look more like a sundial or something at least more aesthetically pleasing
More steel? Maybe?? Possibly on the feet, they're pretty plain
The eyes just aren't working for me, might switch them up a bit too

Who knows if I'll submit an actual finished design but fitting everything into a coherent design for this concept is a welcome challenge
This dude looks really cool. I love the color scheme, it feels very earthy. However, I think you need to lean more into the ground type. Aside from the color, nothing else indicates that it's a ground type. If I was you, I would try to make the layers of feathers look more like layers of sand, but that's just an idea. On the steel typing, the armor is definitely a great execution of it. I think you should make it a more saturated gold color; that way, it stands out a lot more, making it a lot more clear what you're going for.

Good luck to everyone and their designs! Feel free to message me if you want some help with your design.

Last edited:
WIP

I am back after MUCH work on my sand genie. I have gone through several renditions of this design since my first post all thanks to the many wonderful people on the Discord server, but forgot to post any of them to this thread. Thanks to them I have pushed my design towards something I am truly happy with and I cannot thank them enough.

Now onto the changes:
Ditched the treasure chest because of Levitate winning the Ability poll. Instead my genie's lower half is a sandy cloud
Distinguished my genie from being too human-like by giving it ghostly eyes, a sand covered mouth, and gorilla arms
Added a swirly pattern to the belt, cuffs, and turban thing to add more interest and continuity
I will be trying different necklace designs in the near future so stay tuned!

Huge thank you again to everyone on the Discord server, you guys are great! And as always, thoughts and comments are always welcome.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

Feeling that the new design was riding too blurry a line between organic and artificial, I decided to double down on the "Egyptian relic" part of the base design and convey a clearer contrast between the Ground and Steel components, creating a more dynamic look in the process. The main body is composed of segmented metal, covered by flowing sand that spews out from the base of the neck. I also upgraded the dinky little disk at the back into a full-fledged metal mirror/sundial that hovers freely above it.

WIP

A substantial update since my last WIP post in the thread. I've finalized my design for my Lady Justice/Scale of Justice 'mon after some critique on Discord, and I think I'm basically set in terms of palette as well.

I exaggerated some body parts and made it a little more feminine without veering too much into Celesteela territory. The scales are attached magnetically and it can pivot them around the arms(?) to attack. For colors I based the body and scales on Etruscan earthenware vessels, while the other bits are gold or bronze.

Final Submission

Magical clay chess queen thing, linking to the checkmate nature of the way we're using Doom Desire. Typings obvious enough, levitate and doom desire are magic clay statue things, etc.

A whole bunch of supporting art doodles including me BSing my way through several moves with "clay magic" and CAP world of light: https://imgur.com/kDfqNXo

Last edited:
WIP

Since Levitate won, I debated between running with my original design and trying to justify that ability on it or starting over with something else. Ultimately though I decided that the first draft wasn't entirely unusable, though I did have to change the base concept. I did get a little fed up with all the Egyptian designs running around too lol so in my mind a different ancient civilization deserved its own chance to shine for once. This new version is based on Pazuzu, the demon king of the winds in Mesapotamian mythology; according to Wikipedia, he "represented the southwestern wind, the bearer of storms and drought." Special attacker, check, candiate for Ground-type, check. Doom Desire user? Because he's considered an evil spirit, double check! I used the same color scheme as before, because I thought it looked pretty cool, but it should also bear mentioning that many depictions of Pazuzu were in the form of bronze statues, and Steel does encompass ancient metal artifacts such as Bronzong. I'll probably give the gray parts a metallic shading to highlight this, and the yellow bits a golden luster as well.

The various bits and bobs on Pazuzu include a) a humanoid body, b) the head of a dog or lion, c) four wings, d) eagle's talons, and e) a scorpion-like tail, though I made the tail of this design a snake like the Greek Chimaera instead... which is in fact a moral substitute for the snake in some actual depictions of Pazuzu being somewhere else entirely. :U I imagine that this design would fire off Doom Desire by arching the tail so its head is pointing upward, then firing the blast through the tail-head, so it arcs through the air and comes down on the enemy's head later, while other means of using special attacks include whipping up sandstorms with its wings or simply blasting death rays from its mouth, since I sadly had to axe the cannon arms to make room for the wings. Oh well.

Thanks to TwilightWing and MrDollSteak on the Discord for helping me out with this iteration! And feel free to leave feedback as always! :)

I have no clue how I went from thinking about Miitopia to designing this thing based off the Genie from Miitopia.

WIP
http://imgur.com/U3oGCZQ
It’s an Anubis Genie with a giant halo behind it, for the use of Doom Desire and stuff.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

https://imgur.com/a/dIzcGBl

I've been lurking on these CAP forums for years but have never submitted an idea before.

With CAP 26 being based on future sight/doom desire the time theme is inevitable. I wanted to base the design of off the levitate ability and time eluding us all and I had the idea to use a Gazelle as the basis for the design.
The Ground typing is reminiscent of the savanna of East Africa where the Gazelle is native, and the Steel typing fits with the other aspect of my design: Cuckoo Clocks. Its horns are the hour and minute hand of a clock and its tail, a pendulum complete with a pokeball design. Gazelles also have a natural patch of dark and light fur on their faces that looks like shutters, so I tried to illustrate the little bird popping out. (the shutters would mostly stay closed though.) Conveniently the cuckoo bird fits naturally where the third eye would be, thus giving off psychic energy to use that blasted future sight!
I believe that, despite not constantly flying, a Gazelle fits with the idea of Levitate, in that, to flee from predators (irl Cheetahs/Lions; in pokemon: offensive ground moves) it leaps extremely high into the air. I also fancy that its hooves give off a magnetic field that helps it push off the ground very high.
Maybe because its a sketch, but my main gripe with your design is that in its current state, it is far too realistic looking to be a Pokémon. Not an artist myself so I do not have major tips, but try and make it look more stylish and animated. In regards to Levitate, I also can't see it in your design. It is a far too big a stretch to go from "gazelle jumps" to "floating in midair", especially since your design is in such a static position. Pokémon has been very strict as to what they deem as Levitate worthy, and I can't see that in your design.

Final Submission

A Pokemon based on the Scales of Justice, as well as Lady Justice herself. An ancient creature of metal and earthenware that silently analyzes the world around it. It unleashes devastating rays of light and earth-shattering tremors upon those who it deems unjust.

The Ability stage was a thorn in my side, but once I got the idea for this 'mon, everything fell into place. Big thanks to everyone on Discord for their critiques, input, and support!

Supporting Art:
Reference Sheet
Attack Animation (Old Design) [Over 500 kB]

Last edited:
Final Submission

This is the shakoki-dogu I posted a while back. It feels bitter because it hates being called a teapot. Due to this anger towards ignorant people and Pokémon, it channels their energy against them to utilize Doom Desire. It also uses its heated steam to wield Levitate, and therefore fly for short distances.

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
WIP

After Levitate won, I figured I had to abandon my Armageddon Armadillo design and I started working a few other ideas. And then, half joking, I started playing with incorporating attack helicopter ideas into the overall tank/destroyer/war machine theme I already had going. Here's an updated sketch:

It nails the key design elements decided so far (Steel, Ground, Doom, Levitate). It appears to hit the stat spreads being suggested (big defenses, big Special Attack, not too much Speed). And if Bulletproof wins Secondary Ability -- this is right on the money, IMO.

Also, this little 'Dillo makes me smile! That has to count for something, right?

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

After Levitate won, I figured I had to abandon my Armageddon Armadillo design and I started working a few other ideas. And then, half joking, I started playing with incorporating attack helicopter ideas into the overall tank/destroyer/war machine theme I already had going. Here's an updated sketch:

It nails the key design elements decided so far (Steel, Ground, Doom, Levitate). It appears to hit the stat spreads being suggested (big defenses, big Special Attack, not too much Speed). And if Bulletproof wins Secondary Ability -- this is right on the money, IMO.

Also, this little 'Dillo makes me smile! That has to count for something, right?
I definitely like the idea of keeping Armadillo with levitate incorporated, but the helicopter blades look a tad "not Pokemony" I think something like plane wings or rockets might work better

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

When I first made the previously submitted iteration of this design, something didn't sit right with me. Turns out I had the perspective and anatomy all wrong. I went and made some major changes with the body as a whole, such as shrinking the head a bit and making the chest more prominent. I reshaped the wings to more closely resemble those of Egyptian gods like Isis or Khepri, and, as you can see, I went CRAZY with the sand plumage.

I attempted to add pyramid spikes on the disk at one point, but I couldn't nail down the perspective and decided to leave it as is for the time being. I also tried experimenting with different color schemes, but haven't felt satisfied with any of them so far.

WIP

https://imgur.com/yyd4n8B
Went back to the drawing board. Started with levitate as floating. Hot air balloon mixed with a Lottery cage. Lottery cage makes it steel, the sandbags on the balloon basket make it ground. The sandbags are big arms. Another boring pose, but the crossed arms and crossed rope is supposed to be 凶 which means ill-fortune (aka doom desire). Don't think it's very pokemon-ish, but I took off the big eye I had originally and like it better this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)