CAP 26 - Part 10 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If you are inspired by the winning art design and have come up with a good and unique name you'd like the CAP to be known by, please submit your idea here and we will put it up for a vote against all other users' ideas. Final submissions must conform to the submission rules, so please read them carefully. Breaking the posting rules can also result in disqualification.

RULES:

Legal name submissions must meet the following standards
  • Names must start with a capital letter.
  • Names cannot be longer than 12 letters.
  • Names can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 1-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Period (.)
    • Colon (:)
    • Space
  • No more than two capital letters can be included in the name, and capital letters cannot be consecutive.
  • A maximum of two non-letters can be included in the name, and a maximum of one non-letter of each type can be included (ie. You can't have two numbers, or two apostrophes, but you could have one number and one apostrophe)

Names will not be slated if they are completely unrelated to the design, silly names (puns are fine), names based primarily on memes, or names meant to inflame, intimidate, or cause controversy.

WIPs
Work In Progress (WIP) Names can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Names can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with lists of Names. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP names by posting them repeatedly, or making minor spelling changes of a letter or two. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all names by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Final Submissions
Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person. Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.

Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread announcing that final submissions are open. Any Final Submission posted prior to the Moderator announcement post will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that there is some time for discussion and that all submitters have equal opportunity to post Final Submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Please make a new post after the CAP moderator announcement for Final Submissions. Do not edit a previous post prior to the announcement to make it a Final Submission. All posts prior to the announcement post will be ignored for purposes of making the Name Poll.

Final submissions must provide one sentence (25 words maximum) explaining the etymology of the name.

Final submissions must provide a common English pronunciation. The common pronunciation can be made in whatever format you feel best conveys the pronunciation to most English speakers. (You may optionally also provide an IPA pronunciation. For information about IPA and processing words into IPA read this guide: IPA For English. There are also numerous phonetic translation tools online that can help.)

Format
Name Final Submissions must be posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • The Name submission in bold.
  • A blank line
  • A one line description of the etymology of the name or why it is appropriate for our Pokemon. (25 words maximum)
  • A blank line
  • "Pronounced: <common English pronunciation>"
  • "IPA: <IPA pronunciation>" (optional)
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:
Final Submission

Syclant

A combination of "Icicle" + "Ant".

Pronounced: "SICKLE-ant"
IPA: sɪkəlænt

This name was originally submitted by Lawman on the very first CAP project. It is simple, elegant, and easy to pronounce (even if you are pronouncing it wrong), which is why it was chosen as the official name for CAP1!

---

CAP 26 so far:

Dogfish44 said:
Name - The Future is Bright!

Description - A Pokemon that makes usage of the 'delayed-attack' moves - Future Sight and/or Doom Desire

Justification - Given we're attempting to create a Pokemon that uses one of two specific moves, this is an Actualisation concept. Future Sight and Doom Desire are incredibly unique moves, which see limited usage in spite of their high base power, and ability to have a target Pokemon struck twice in the same turn. In using CAP26, the aim is to create a Pokemon that inspires a feeling of being able to trap opponents, to establish win-win situations.

Questions To Be Answered -
One Pokemon which has been seen to fairly reliably use Future Sight is Slowking. What can we learn from Slowking about what makes a viable user of Future Sight? On the same token, what has led Jirachi to not be effective at using Doom Desire, and other Pokemon to not effectively use Future Sight?
What is the optimum usage of Future Sight/Doom Desire, both on the turn immediately after using the move, and the turn on which the move will land?
Should the user of Future Sight/Doom Desire be primarily helping itself, or other teammates. If helping itself, what is the aim? If helping teammates, then what types of teammate?
Are Z-Future Sight and Z-Doom Desire mandatory, or just useful tools?
Explantion - Doom Desire is almost one we've done before, as people from the era of Cawmodore probably remember. Whilst little has changed since then, we have seen Future Sight get another power level increase since then.

This isn't a case of using a move which we know can't be used - we can look to Slowking (Future Sight) or Dialga (Balanced Hackmons, Doom Desire) for inspiration on what makes these moves workable. At the same time, we know that they're not automatic locks in spite of their high base power, allowing us room to explore what makes these moves often fall flat.

The beauty of Future Sight and Doom Desire as concept leads is that they don't massively restrict our ability to choose a direction right from the gate - focussing on these moves for their ability to strike twice in a single turn likely produces a Pokemon that is very different from focussing on these moves for their ability to force specific Pokemon out for a teammate to switch in. Whether we create a Pokemon that breaks walls, or pivots around, or supports a very specific partner, or something else entirely, these moves make for a concept that should be both interesting to implement, and with many avenues to explore.
Topic Leader: SHSP

Topic Leadership Team:
Typing Leader: GMars
Ability Leader: Jordy
Stats Leader: Jho
Movepool Leader: G-Luke

Typing: Steel/Ground

Threats:
SHSP said:
Switch Ins: Mega Crucibelle, Clefable, Tapu Koko, Most Tornadus-T, Magearna lacking Focus Blast

Counters: Celesteela, Rotom-Wash, Arghonaut, Chansey

Checks: Mega Latias and Latios, Ash Greninja, Volkraken, Mega Charizard X and Y, AV Tyranitar, Landorus-T, Ferrothorn
Primary Ability: Levitate

Stats: 102 HP / 50 Atk / 96 Def / 133 SpA / 118 SpD / 60 Spe

Secondary Ability: Bulletproof

Art Design:

WIP

Justisteel

The name is a combo of 'Justice' and Steel; the scale is a symbol of justice.

Pronounced: "Just-IS-stE-El"

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
WIP

Forsoracle

Etymology: Forsee + Oracle (referencing oracle of delphi)
Pronounced: "for+SOR+uh+cull"

Last edited:
WIP

Juxtitia

Justice + Juxtaposition + Lustitia

juhk • sti • shee • uh

This name stays loyal to the design's original concept, being based on lady justice, aka Lustitia.

WIP

Maataclysm

“Maat + Cataclysm”

Pronounciation: “MOTT-uh-cliss-um”

IPA: “mɒt-ʌ-klɪzm”

“Maat” is an Egyptian goddess who represents truth, law, balance, justice, stars, and the actions of others. “Cataclysm” because Doom Desire, and connotations of judgement.

Since the art is based on Scales of Justice and Lady Justice, a name that evokes images of balance, judgement, and law is something I feel is appropriate. In addition, since Doom Desire is described in the games as being a “concentrated bundle of light”, a name that also evokes imagery of things that emit light, like stars, I think is also great to include. Making “Maat” part of this name is something that I think covers all the bases. “Cataclysm” is sort of associated with Rapture/Judgement Day, so I think that it would be good to include such a word for an art that the artist described as raining judgement down on others. Plus the association with the apocalypse associates it with doom, and that ties back to DOOM Desire.

WIP

Ma'atshai

"Ma'at" (Egyptian goddess of balance and justice) and "Shai" (Egyptian god of fate and determiner of the span of a man's life).

Pronounced: mah-AHHT-shy
IPA: <mɑˈʔɑːtˌʃɑɪ>

Horrorscope

A play on "horoscope", deriving from Libra, and "horror", owing to the Lovecraftian nature of the all-seeing ancient artifact projecting its power across time.

Pronounced: HAR-er-scope
IPA: <ˈhɑɹɚˌskoʊp>

BTW, for anyone interested, IPA typewriter here.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Equilibra

Equality + Libra + Equilibrium

Pronounced: ek-wee-lee-brah

Few puns in this one, wanted to get across the ideas of balance, and mention Libra the horoscope sign as this is as close to its embodiment as you can get.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Levella

"Level" plus a suffix, to indicate scales and the concept of justice, while also hinting at Levitate.

Pronounced: "Leh-VELL-uh"
IPA: /leˈvel.ə/

WIP

Gildarma

Gilded + Dharma

Glided alludes to its metal plating with a different material underneath (fits typing)
Dharma is "cosmic law and order" in buddhism, or "duties, rights, laws, conduct, virtues" in Hinduism. Heavy tie to justice, righteousness, etc etc.
Plus together, it sounds like "Gild Armor" which is fitting. Im happy with this name n_n

WIP

Calibra

Calibrate + Libra

Libra is easy because of the scale reference in the art, and calibrate makes sense to me as a form of correction, which can be correlated to Doom Desire and the Steel typing. It also has a somewhat feminine design, so ending in -ra makes a lot of sense.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Judgmantle

A combination of “judge” (to weigh) and “mantle” (the earth’s layered core).

Also sounds like “judgmental” out loud, which is kind of what this design is all about!

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Librati

A play on the word Liberty, which means the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behaviour, or political views, while incorporating the word Libra, which is the Latin word for balance.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
WIP1

Equitiuqe

eh-kwuh-teek

A palindrome of the word equity

WIP2

Equitique

eh-kwuh-teek

Using the feedback from Quanyails, it is palindrome of the word equity; however, this spelling recognizes "qu" as a diagraph (two letters representing one sound)

***Please provide feedback on which spelling is preferred. Thank you***

A palindrome seemed thematically appropriate for Steph’s design. Personally, the balance of a palindrome name reflects the design to a T. Using this as a starting point, I looked up words that were already palindromes. Conveniently enough, “level” is already a palindrome and further reflects that idea of balance. I started by trying to build upon it with little success. Instead of trying to shoehorn the word “level” into the name, I tried to use a synonym and build a palindrome similar to Girafarig. The most difficult part of trying to create a palindrome name is establishing where the mirroring begins that would also still have a solid flow. I used a text to speech program and began tinkering with words that had some resemblance to balance/level. I settled on “equity” as the root word. I like that, when mirrored, the name bares a similar pronunciation to Ecruteak City from Gold, Silver, and Crystal; the home of Ho-oh, another palindrome Pokémon.

Last edited:

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

Nemesol

A portmanteau of Nemesis (the Greek goddess of vengeance and retribution, sometimes depicted holding a scale) and Sol (Latin name for the Sun, in reference to Doom Desire being a light-based attack).

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

Vigilibra

Combination of "vigilant" (careful and watchful) and "libra" (greek word for balance)

Pronounced: Vij-el-lee-bra

I view this CAP as an ever present watcher of the world, keeping things in balanced and being vigilant for any offenders that It can call down sweet justice upon.

WIP

Verdivoena

Combination of "Verdict" and "Subpoena"

Pronounced: "Ver-dih-vee-na"

These two common judicial terms combine to make a an alliterative and regal name for the judgement Pokemon

WIP

Palibra

"Pal" from both Palindrome and Paleo, Libra from "Libra".

Pronounced: "pah-LEE-bra"

Couldn't decide if I wanted to visit the ground typing with paleo or just go purely off visuals with Palindrome (as the Pokemon is symmetrical) but I did know I wanted to fit something about it being scales in. I also thought that it looked like an old fossilized artifact, which made Paleo feel more appropriate. Hence, Palibra. I think it rolls nicely off the tongue too.

WIP

Watemporal

"Wait", "weight" and "atemporal"

Pronounced: "Way-tehm-paw-rihl"
IPA: <weɪˈtɛmp(ə)r(ə)l>

"Wait" because of delayed damage. "Weight" because scales use weights. "Atemporal" meaning that time doesn't restrict it, so it can afford to delay damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)