CAP 26 - Part 10 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

Destilum

Destiny+Equilibrium

Pronounced: "DES-til-um"

"Destiny" represents the focus on delayed attacks. Equilibrium refers to balance-centric design of this CAP.
Also, "Destilum" rolls off your tongue really nicely

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Justizland

"Justice" + "Sling" + "Land." Justice made of land that acts like a sling (for justice!). "Welcome to Justice Land!"

Pronounced: Jus-tizz-land

WIP 2

Annihligate

Annihilate (destroy totally) + Gate (entry way) /Ligate (cut short) / Litigate (bring to court.) Also "an eye" that ligates / litigates.

Pronouced: An-EYE-Lig-ate

Last edited:
WIP

Justiscalar

"Justiciar" + "scale"

Pronounced: juh-STIH-skah-LAHR

A justiciar is an administer of justice, and that word meshes with the scales that this mon resembles fairly well.

WIP

Themir

A portmanteau of Themis (goddess of justice), Moira (goddess of fate) and Turkic temir "iron"

Pronounced: THEE-meer
IPA: /ˈθiːmɪər/

In Modern Greek Μοίρα id pronounced [ˈmira], hence -mir; Μοίρα is aslo related to μόρος "fate, doom".
The term for "iron" varies a little in different Turkic languages: temir, demir, dəmir, темир, темір, демир

WIP

Exthemis

Portmanteau of "Extremis" and "Themis"

Pronounced; "Ex-Theme-Is"

"Extremis" is "at the point of death" - aka Doom Desire, and "Themis" is a greek titan/god as the personification of Justice

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Judgmantle

A combination of “judge” (to weigh) and “mantle” (the earth’s layered core).

Also sounds like “judgmental” out loud, which is kind of what this design is all about!
close the thread

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

Retriballast

Combination of “retribution” and “ballast” (a counterbalance).

Pronounced: ret-trey-BAL-last

Retribution because doom desire, and ballast due to it’s design being a scale.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP (2):

Magiscale

magistrate (or magic) + scale + majuscule

Pronounced: "MAA-jih-scale"
IPA: mæʤəskeɪl

ShunosaurusLii reminded me of the name in #flavor, and Roland gave positive feedback on it, so I thought it might be worth posting. ^^ I'm not completely convinced it's "mystical" enough a name for this design, but we'll see how feedback goes!

--

Some thoughts on other names:
  • Equilibra has a very nice rhythm to it, but it's kind of like blending "pronunciation" with "pronounce" in that the "librium" in "equilibrium" and "libra" come from the same Latin word. I don't think that's too big an issue, though, considering how targeted the name is towards the design.
  • Judgmantle is a fantastic portmanteau. My only concern about it is that "mantle" doesn't have much relation with the design itself besides being a Ground-type word.
  • Equitiuqe is so clever in what it does with being a name that's self-balanced. :D As mentioned on Discord, I think "Equitique" looks a lot cleaner, and the palindrome is still mostly there, since "qu" is pretty much one letter in English anyway. :P
  • Balantique sounds smooth and mystical. I like it. :)
Edit: More feedback:
  • lyd: According to Wikipedia, the name of Lady Justice in Latin is "Iustitia" or "Justitia", so "Juxtitia" comes across to me more as a corruption-style name rather than a portmanteau-style name.
  • Mr.Panda411, I think "Scalibra" would help parsing the name more, because otherwise "libra" isn't as clear to me.

Last edited:
WIP

Nemiscale

Combination of "Nemesis" + "Scale".

Pronounced: "Nem-I-scael"
IPA: [ˈnɛmɪskeɪl]

Nemesis is the Greek goddess of retribution, alluding to the revenge moves "Future is Bright" has been designed around and the scales of justice in this design as Nemesis inspired the modern, blindfolded "Lady Justice"

Progress: Possible corruptions?
Nimiskal
Nemeskale
Nemascael

Final Submission

Karmaurum

Karma (Doom Desire acting like karma- actions now that impact the future) + Aurum (Latin for gold)

Pronounced: "kar-MAR-um"

Last edited:

Kaiju Bunny

♥・゚: * ̄(♡ㅅ♡❀) ̄
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Art Leader
WIP

Justruscale

Justice + Etruscan + Scale

Pronounced: "JUS-truh-scale"
IPA: dʒʌstʃrʌskeɪl

Inspiration was from Steph's description of his final design with the following references:
- Justice = Lady Justice/Scale of Justice concept
- Etruscan = Etruscan earthenware vessels concept
- Scale = Scale of Justice concept

WIP

Apocalibra

A portmanteau of "Apocalypse" + "Libra"

Prounounced: "Ah-pock-ah-lee-brah"
IPA: əˈpɒkə'liːbɹə

Apocalypse describes the doom it brings upon its opponents when using Doom Desire; Libra because it follows the concept of the scales of justice.

WIP

Taroterra

"Tarot" + "Terra"

Prounounced: "Tare-a-tare-a"

Tarot cards are used for fortune telling/seeing the future and "Terra" simply means earth.

Progress/Comments:

Definitely WIP, this is my first post so tell me if I did something wrong.

Currently seems kinda hard to pronounce.

WIP1

Goloombra

Combination of Golem, Doom, Looming and Libra

IPA: <goʊˈlʊmbrɑː>

Golem for the Clay Monster look, Libra for the scales of justice + connection to astrological readings, looming doom for the threat of impeding doom hanging over its enemies

WIP2

Doomsdale

Combination of doomsday and scale

IPA: <dʊmsˈsdeɪl>

Slightly different approach than above with more Focus on the Concept of Doom Desire

WIP 2

Calibwait

"Calibrate" + "libra" + "wait" + "weight"

Pronounced: "Kah-lee-bwayt"

IPA: <ˈkaliːbweɪt>

WIP

Propheterra

"Prophet" + "terra"

Prophet is someone who predicts the future, terra means Earth. Prophet relates to Doom Desire, terra relates to the ground typing.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
WIP

Libradiant

Pronounced "Lih-Bruh-Dee-AHNT

Contraction of "Libra" and "Radiant" (Luminous)

Last edited:
WIP
Dreadwait

"
Dread, and wait"

Pronounced: Dred-wāt

The name is a play on the word dead weight, but I think the name shines because when cap 26 uses Doom Desire you "Dread" for DD to hit, but you have to "wait" to let it really do some damage.

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
WIP

Scalibra

Scale + Libra

Following Quanyails' feedback, I'm changing my name's shape to make "Libra" more visible.

WIP 2

Justiciara

"Justiciar" + "tiara"

Pronounced: juh-STIH-shee-AH-rah

A justiciar is an administer of justice, this mon vaguely looks like it has a tiara on its head, and the "-ara" name ending sounds somewhat feminine, evoking Lady Justice.

WIP

Lithemis

"Libra" + "Themis", Greek goddess of law, often depicted with scales. Also similar to "lithium", which is a metal, so it refers to Steel type.

Pronounced: LAI-thee-mis
IPA: [laɪθɪ:mis]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)