Move 1: Whirlwind
Move 2: Doom Desire / Flash Cannon
Move 3: Earth Power
Move 4: Rapid Spin / Pain Split
Ability: Bulletproof / Levitate
Item: Leftovers / Wiki Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Calm
  • Whirlwind is probably a niche move for CAP 26, but it finds a place here on a defensive spread that emphasizes checking set-up sweepers.
  • Doom Desire combines nicely with Whirlwind to shuffle enemies trying to switch in on the delayed damage.
  • Flash Cannon is a weaker alternative that immediately threatens Jumbao, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Clefable, Tornadus-T, and Landorus-T.
  • Earth Power is a strong STAB move that super-effectively hits Pokemon like Heatran and Krilowatt that could tank a Doom Desire.
  • Rapid Spin provides team utility in the form of hazard removal, and it has excellent synergy with CAP 26's SR resistance and Levitate ability.
  • Pain Split provides longevity that allows CAP 26 to come in more often on the special attackers that it wants to check.
  • Leftovers provide crucial passive recovery, although a Wiki berry can provide a significant burst of healing after tanking an enemy move.
  • The EV spread and A Calm nature maximize special bulk to best deal with dangerous special attackers like Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele.
This set contains nothing particularly unexpected, but I would like to get Whirlwind and Flash Cannon approved before movepools. This set would probably work best as part of a defensive core with hazard-stacking Pokemon such as Arghonaut and Toxapex. It would serve as a blanket check to many special (and some physical) attackers thanks to defensive typing and heavy investment. Whirlwind provides a way to check Calm Mind + Pain Split Magearna other than trying to rely on speed-creeping and out-damaging it. It is overall a more reliable move than Dragon Tail thanks to its 100% accuracy and its ability to bypass Substitute and hit Fairy-types.

On a final note, I personally am against Spiky Shield. Protect is plenty sufficient to stall for Toxic damage or a Doom Desire hit, and Spiky Shield is a generically better version that I don't want appearing on every other mon. To get into specifics, Protect appropriately punishes mons like Tornadus who would try to U-Turn out of a Doom Desire by denying the switch. I also find Spiky Shield to be unnecessarily punishing to physical attackers like Smokomodo and Kartana, which is not particularly in line with our aim of being a primarily specially-defensive mon. (Edit: I didn't realize G-Luke had already withdrawn this move, sorry.)

(Edit #2: The AV set sub with Power Gem is withdrawn from consideration)

Last edited:

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Moveset Submission

Name: Phazard Master (Offensive Utility Pivot)
Move 1: Doom Desire
Move 2: Earth Power
Move 3: Dragon Tail/Whirlwind
Move 4: Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin/Toxic
Ability: Levitate/Bulletproof
Item: Steelium Z/Wiki Berry
EVs: 200 HP/220 SpA/88 Spe
Nature: Modest
  • Doom Desire is the main Steel-type STAB move, principally in combination with phazing moves, and is the highlighted move in the concept of CAP 26.
  • Earth Power is a more reliable Ground-type STAB move and a good coverage move to DD.
  • Dragon Tail allows CAP 26 to phaze opposing Pokémon and ensures Fairy-types don't be phazed by mistake.
  • Whirlwind have the same function but bypass Substitute, at the cost to be non-damage moves and to phaze Fairy-types too.
  • Circle Throw is another option, but I don't like it in CAP 26, as it doesn't adds too much to CAP 26 and doesn't hit Ghost-types, and... hey, there is Dragon Tail!
  • Stealth Rock gives to CAP26's team a hazard move option and fits with phazing moves and DD.
  • Rapid Spin is a good utility move to help CAP 26 to support your teammates and takes advantage of CAP 26's resistance/immunity to entry hazards.
  • Toxic is another move option to cripple down the opposing team along the match.
  • Levitate is the preferred ability as gives to CAP 26 Ground immunity; Bulletproof can be used to provide CAP 26 with a more situational Focus Blast immunity.
  • Steelium Z in combination with DD gives to CAP 26 a powerful 200 BP Corkscrew Crash; Wiki Berry provides CAP 26 with a reliable, one-shot 50% recovery.
  • 88 Spe EVs enables CAP 26 outspeeds Mega Mawile with 164 Spe EVs and CM Split Magearna with little Speed investment; 220 SpA EVs + Modest nature ensures Earth Power 2HKO Tapu Lele and +1 CM Split Magearna, and Doom Desire OHKO max HP Bulky Tornadus-T with rocks up; 200 EVs remaining go in HP for max bulky and allow CAP 26 survives one Heatran's Magma Storm.
I've been a big Stealth Rock's supporter in 26's moveset so far, but after reading some pro-Spin comments (especially the LucarioOfLegends's post) I've changed my mind. He brought up a point that I there wasn't thought: spinbloking. By running Rapid Spin, 26 can take advantage of more offensive builds to force the opponent to switch out/in a pokémon in order to keep his hazards and possibly blow it up by a incoming Doom Desire. That give to Rapid Spin a pseudo-phaze aspect and allow CAP 26 do some mindgames. Now, speaking of hazard removal itself, I think the main difference between Defog and Rapid Spin, and what made me choose Spin over Defog, is the range of both. While Defog affects both of the sides on the battle, Rapid Spin clears only the user's side, helping 26 to keep hazards in the opponent's side and punish switchins. I really wanted to keep both on the set, but since CAP 26 will get only one of them and Rapid Spin proved to be more valuable than Stealth Rock in that slot, I'm removing Stealth Rock and adding Rapid Spin to my moveset.

In addition, I would like to say that I'm totally against Flash Cannon be allowed. I think with a move like Doom Desire as core of our concept, we should avoid all possible distraction. With 133 SpA base, keeping Flash Cannon as a allowed move is self-sabotage, since many players will prefer Flash Cannon's direct damage to DD's raw damage.

In addition, I would like to say that I'm totally against Flash Cannon be allowed. I think with a move like Doom Desire as core of our concept, we should avoid all possible distraction. With 133 SpA base, keeping Flash Cannon as a allowed move is self-sabotage, since many players will prefer Flash Cannon's direct damage to DD's raw damage.
I believe that what you say here is wrong and people in general should stop assuming that Doom Desire is an inherently bad move. It's a common assumption that Flash Cannon's direct damage is better than Doom Desire's delayed damaged output, but I massively disagree with the thought process. Mostly because Doom Desire helps a lot with positioning yourself, whereas Flash Cannon is honestly a pretty bad STAB move, as it has pretty poor offensive coverage and a generally mediocre damage output, even over 2 turns. While I realize that Doom Desire does less damage over 1 turn, CAP 26 won't be using it for damage most of the time; it'll be using Doom Desire for its ability to enable to position yourself much easier, which ultimately holds a lot more value than doing immediate damage with Flash Cannon, which isn't really breaking much anyway. I know that many people feel the same way since we have tested it out on the test server in practice.

Because of what I just said, I do not see Flash Cannon as a way of sabotaging CAP 26, and rather than that, I view it more more as a way to test whether we truly understood the concept or not.

If Flash Cannon is not going to outweigh Doom Desires usefulness, then there is no point in including it, if Doom Desire is just better.

If Flash Cannon is going to outclass DD, then it needs to be banned.

Either way, the optics on a Doom Desire build preclude Flash Cannon being used. Flash Cannon should be banned. Do all the proofs you want in testing to show how its not going to be out matched. And then don't include it anyway. Simple fix, simple solution.

Flash Cannon should absolutely not be banned.

CAP's mission statement reads: "The Create-A-Pokémon project is a community dedicated to exploring and understanding the competitive Pokémon metagame by designing, creating, and playtesting new Pokémon concepts."

I don't think we can truly explore the value of delayed-damage moves and understand the associated gameplay if we deny the alternatives to Doom Desire out of fear of failing the concept. While the CAP process is not always successful at fulfilling the concept (tfw Smokomodo runs Blaze), it should always result in us gaining new knowledge about the metagame, competitive Pokemon gameplay, or simply the process itself. If we ban Flash Cannon, all our analysis and preparation to actualize a "delayed-damage dealer" concept will remain forever theoretical/untested. To put it in other words, we can't learn anything from a rigged experiment. Flash Cannon vs Doom Desire needs to be a choice available to players in order to test whether our design worked.

Last edited:
Flash Cannon should absolutely not be banned.

CAP's mission statement reads: "The Create-A-Pokémon project is a community dedicated to exploring and understanding the competitive Pokémon metagame by designing, creating, and playtesting new Pokémon concepts."

I don't think we can truly explore the value of delayed-damage moves and understand the associated gameplay if we deny the alternatives to Doom Desire out of fear of failing the concept. While the CAP process is not always successful at fulfilling the concept (tfw Smokomodo runs Blaze), it should always result in us gaining new knowledge about the metagame, competitive Pokemon gameplay, or simply the process itself. If we ban Flash Cannon, all our analysis and preparation to actualize a "delayed-damage dealer" concept will remain forever theoretical/untested. To put it in other words, we can't learn anything from a rigged experiment. Flash Cannon vs Doom Desire needs to be a choice available to players in order to test whether our design worked.
If you do not ban Flash Cannon and Flash Cannon is preferable, all of your analysis and preparation to actualize a "delayed-damage dealer" concept will be proven a failure, because you included Flash Cannon.

If Doom Desire can stand by itself, then it will be used regardless of Flash Cannon. If it cannot, then Doom Desire will not be run, regardless of whether Flash Cannon is a viable move or not. Doom Desire being used is the optic here, not whether or not Flash Cannon is not used.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mr.Panda411 said:
n addition, I would like to say that I'm totally against Flash Cannon be allowed. I think with a move like Doom Desire as core of our concept, we should avoid all possible distraction. With 133 SpA base, keeping Flash Cannon as a allowed move is self-sabotage, since many players will prefer Flash Cannon's direct damage to DD's raw damage.
If you do not ban Flash Cannon and Flash Cannon is preferable, all of your analysis and preparation to actualize a "delayed-damage dealer" concept will be proven a failure, because you included Flash Cannon.

If Doom Desire can stand by itself, then it will be used regardless of Flash Cannon. If it cannot, then Doom Desire will not be run, regardless of whether Flash Cannon is a viable move or not. Doom Desire being used is the optic here, not whether or not Flash Cannon is not used.
I want to go back to a principle that has permeated many CAP PR threads: CAP is about the journey, not the destination.

There is always a looming sentiment every CAP (and having been around since the first one I can speak well to this) that we need to avoid "failure." When we were on IRC as our main chat platform "CAP has failed me (because X)" was a regular meme. Inherent to this is the notion that if we just prevented this result of a discussion or that result than the CAP will have "succeeded" or "not failed."

CAP 25 is probably the best example of these thoughts colliding because of so many of the decisions inherent in making 3 Starter CAPs at once. It was a highly unusual stress test that proves the point. Would all Smokomodo run Technician if we had included Flame Charge? I doubt it would be *all* of them but it would certainly be a very prominent set. It would not however avoid the sets we have currently found successful, and indeed sometimes in Discord people say Flame Charge Smoko would be fine in the current meta. At the end of the day though, it was discussed in full and decided that despite fulfilling the concept perfectly it would have been too stressful to the metagame.

The Flash Cannon vs Doom Desire reverses this concern. No one is worried Flash Cannon will stress the metagame, but they do feel it might not fulfill the concept. That reason alone is not sufficent to deny the move if there is a competitive reason to use it and learning to be gained from its inclusion or at least discussing its inclusion.

What the Playtest Server is showing is that there are very few instances where someone clicks Doom Desire but wishes they had Flash Cannon to click instead. The delayed aspect of the move and the fact it is a very powerful pinching tool in two turns is worth much more than the disadvantage of not hitting a switch-in immediately with Steel STAB. In fact, as far as moves that compete for immediate use, Earth Power is superior to Flash Cannon because it hits so much more that is relevant, simultaneous wards off Steel-resistant checks, and it has a stronger neutral hit. Doom Desire is it's own lane of moveslot compression, and Earth Power is always going to trump Flash Cannon in the "immediate damage" lane. There is just not an strong need for an immediate Steel STAB when you have access to an immediate Ground STAB or Toxic. Flash Cannon and Earth Power are in the same "lane." Doom Desire is in a different "lane."

Ironically I think this is one of the best examples of the upside of "4 Move Slot Sydrome," each of the contents of those slots and their purpose actually matters. Pokemon with 4MSS are trying to choose from four different necessary things with their own pros and cons, and for a Pokemon like CAP 26, Doom Desire is filling a different need than "damage dealing direct attack." CAP 26 just isn't a Pokemon that is going to build a set around "damage dealing direct attacks" unless we give it excellent coverage or strong boosting. These discussions have managed to avoid making choices that make such an All-Out-Attack set a concern, even considering CAP 26's significant Special Attack potential.

As long as I'm talking about that, after some consideration I am support a ban on Fake Tears / Metal Sound, and in contrast support continuing to allow Work Up, and allowing Charge Beam. +1 SpA strikes a balance of being able to be used with Doom Desire without drastically altering the efficacy of Checks/Counters. Metal Sound may not be as good as Nasty Plot, but it does allow us to break through Arghonaut (Earth Power becomes a solid 2HKO) and punish it for relying on phazing (Circle Throw) to get CAP 26 out of the active position by allowing a potentially phazed in Pokemon to easily finish Arghonaut off. +1 SpA moves are not going to incentivize all-out attacking sets, and Charge Beam is in many ways a worse Work Up that can be used on as Assault Vest set should that ever become popular. Imperfect accuracy along with a high but not guaranteed chance to raise SpA just is not consistent enough to base a set around.

On Sacrificial Moves: I'll repeat my blurbs from the Choice Scarf set and submit them for general review, but add them to a set:

Moveset Submission:
Name: Sacrificial Justice
Move 2: Earth Power / Flash Cannon
Move 3: Memento / Healing Wish
Move 4: Toxic / Rapid Spin
Item: Darkinium-Z / Focus Sash / Steelium-Z
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Nature: Timid
- EVs set to outrun 56 Spe Rotom-Wash so you can Memento/Healing Wish before it has a chance to KO CAP.
- Doom Desire allows you to set up a pinch attack condition in battle to strike two turns later.
- Earth Power or Flash Cannon provide STAB based on what you would like to hit while CAP 26 is out. As this set is geared towards setting up a backup sweeper, coverage is less important than what you want to address immediately.
- Memento with Darkinium-Z sacrifices CAP 26 in order to maximize a Doom Desire setup by shredding an opponent's offenses and allowing your backup sweeper a free switch in at full health. Healing Wish can be used instead if full HP alone seems like a better effect than Memento and you would like different item.
-Toxic can punish defensive switchins until you are ready to Doom Desire / sacrifice, while Rapid Spin can remove hazards for a team before the sacrifice.
-Darkinium-Z maximizes the utility of Memento on the sacrifice out, adding on a Healing Wish effect to its existing stat-drop effect. Focus Sash allows you an extra turn so you can both get off the Doom Desire on an initial switchin and guarantee the sacrifice move against a strong offensive check like Volkraken. Finally, Steeliium-Z has absurd power with Doom Desire if you wish to get an immediate KO on a Steel-weak threat to your team.

On Power Gem / Aura Sphere:

Bearing in mind what I just said, I still think coverage is dangerous and its overall effect on a set needs to meet a high bar of justification. I feel like Power Gem cuts into too many relevant checks or potential steel-resistant checks and combines a little too well with Earth Power as a solid two-attack coverage option. Ground + Rock is not quite as good as the avoided Ground + Ice, but I feel like it biases CAP 26 more towards an all-out attacker set. Contrast Aura Sphere which I posted on the rejected Scarf set and it provides decent utility in a mirror match and serves as non-Hidden Power middle ground for dealing with Ash-Greninja, Mega-Tyranitar, Heatran, and Ferrothorn (checks CAP26 already has a decent matchup against based on prior selections), but is unlikely to create an All-Out-Attack set. Steel + Ground + Fighting is just too redundant to be the backbone of a set, even if you add a Hidden Power to round it out.

So I guess to finish this post, I want to modify Roland's Assault Vest set.

Roland le preaux said:
Moveset Submission

Name: Assault Vest Tank
Move 1: Earth Power
Move 3: Power Gem Flash Cannon / Charge Beam
Move 4: Aura Sphere / Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Rock / Rapid Spin
Item: Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
  • Earth Power is our strongest STAB move, hitting a wide variety of Pokemon super-effectively.
  • Doom Desire provides a setup for a pinch situation that you can attempt to slow boost with Charge Beam. The additional bulk of Assault Vest makes setting up a Doom Desire initially or staying in to tank a hit and get a Charge Beam SpA boost more likely.
  • Power Gem is interesting tech to deal with Tornadus-T, Zapdos, Aurumoth, and any Volcarona that tries to use us as set-up bait. I'm not claiming this move will be entirely viable, but I think it could be a niche lure move or midground play, especially against Tornadus-T trying to pivot around Earth Power. It's simply not strong enough to compete directly with Doom Desire, but rather it may add some much-needed versatility and unpredictability to CAP 26 sets.
  • Charge Beam provides a way to boost Special Attack while wearing an Assault Vest, and has minor utility as a pressure to Tornadus-T or a way to enhance CAP 26's Special Attack for its other attacking / coverage moves.
  • Alternatively, Flash Cannon with provides immediate STAB Steel damage against targets like Tapu Lele that take advantage of so many other CAP 26 sets that rely solely on Doom Desire for Steel damage.
  • For the fourth slot, Aura Sphere strikes a middle ground that aids CAP 26 in the mirror match and also provides an option for immediate pressure with less prediction against Ash-Greninja, Mega-Tyranitar, Heatran, and Ferrothorn. Hidden Power Rock gives a secondary attack that pressures Tornadus-T, Volkraken, Volcarona, and the Mega Charizards, especially before they Mega-Evolve.
  • Rapid Spin provides team utility in the form of hazard removal, and can be added as a more support-based use of Assault Vest for a team.
  • Assault Vest and our lack of susceptibility to chip damage means that we can tank even strong special moves over the course of the game.
  • The EV spread and A Modest nature maximize our damage to turn us into as threatening of a tank as possible.
The primary modifications here are a way to boost offense in Charge Beam, and then using the fourth slot as a targeted choice for team needs. If you need hazard support go Rapid Spin, otherwise choose an attack that pressure counters and would enjoy a +1 SpA boost should you be able to find time and successfully get off a Charge Beam.

Last edited:

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm no wordsmith so I'll try to keep this brief.

I'm perfectly fine with including Flash Cannon. As Jordy and many others have stated, the initial fears that DD would be shit and easily pushed out by Flash Cannon have long since passed. I have zero fear that DD can be pushed out by FC alone. I think people are both overestimating FC's immediate damage output and underestimating just how strong DD's positioning ability is. I feel some are getting the wrong impression about how DD's checkmate scenarios work on paper vs practice, it's very easy to set up a strong checkmate after throwing down a DD. In the few test games I've had and witnessed I can't undersell how much a looming DD affects plays, both yours and the opponents.

This is where I feel people are losing the plot about DD's set up turns. You're not sitting around wishing you had more immediate Steel-type damage when you've thrown a DD, you're using those turns to position yourself through use of 26's utility or a threatening partner. These scenarios are not only ideal for our concept, but simply not possible by using Flash Cannon. Flash Cannon isn't going to bust open mons anymore than an EP or HP would, it doesn't give your teammates easier openings to get in and nab KOs, it does not compete with Doom Desire in function. I feel Deck hit the nail on the head when he said that FC is competing far more with EP or HP as immediate damage moves.

Moreover on the subject of precedent, Flash Cannon is learned by 44 out of 55 steel type mons that exist (roughly 80%). The ones that don't have a heavy physical bias, something CAP26 certainly does not have. Call it a null argument if you want, but I'd like to think CAP takes matters of precedent seriously. Even if you believe Flash Cannon isn't anti-concept but don't think it should be added, this is something you need to address.

Something else I wanted to touch on; one was this excellent statement made by snake in the discord.

snake_rattler Today at 6:06 PM
If we really want to learn whether we made a mon that uses Doom Desire effectively, the opportunity to fail should be presented

Denying Flash Cannon on the fear of failure is a weak way to go about things. We should be trying to make the best mon we can to fulfill the concept, not removing something that might fail it. It's like if you were running an obstacle course and were unsure if you could make it over the final obstacle only for someone else to come and remove it for you, letting you coast to victory. Did you really learn anything about yourself, the obstacle or course by doing that? I believe not.

Another minor thing, I'm not happy with is this interpretation some people seem to have with testing not being sufficient evidence to prove a concept or point. If it wasn't possibly to prove anything or at the very least show solid evidence via testing then there clearly isn't any point to it. I get it's not accurate of a true CAP26 meta but the feel for how the mon works and operates has been made evident. It feels like hand-waving away a valuable and vital perspective on this part of the process. This is just a personal peeve of mine, I have no ill will to those who have this belief.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Throughout the course of the thread, we have tackled plenty of topics, and I think now is the time to put these issues to rest. I believe it has been universally agreed that CAP 26 would benefit more as a hazard remover than as a hazard setter, taking into account our matchups with Pokémon that fit these roles. Therefore, I will be settling to axe entry hazards on a whole.

Now for pivoting moves. Despite this being a topical point of contention since the concept's assessment, pivoting moves for the most part, have had no vocal supporters. They have had, however, a very vocal detractor in snake_rattler, who has consistently raised several key points as to why pivoting may be problematic on CAP 26. But I believe that the real problems with pivoting are its ease in setting up check mate scenarios. After snake and I, along with others, did some testing, we realised that with pivoting euipped, CAP 26 can set a Doom Desire, then pivot out with our slow U-turn, which allows us to have all of the momentum within the match, essentially controlling what Pokémon can switch in and out until Doom Desire hits. See this scenario play out: A CAP 26 sets a Doom Desire against a Arghonaut, then U-turns out into a Mega Medicham. The opponent has a 90% healthy Magearna in the back. Medicham clicks Zen Headbutt without fear, as if Magearna trys to take the hit, it dies to DD. Now while this can be achieved with careful hard switching, that comes with big disadvantage of not knowing what your opponent will do that turn, whether it will attack or cripple your incoming switch in, or just plain predict the switch and bring in the appropriate answer. I think removing this counterplay is detrimental and may push CAP 26 over the edge, so I will be finally banning pivoting attacks.

Now Flash Cannon. It has been a pretty hot topic as of late, and I think now is the time to finally lay this debate to rest. The main arguments of Flash Cannon detractors revolve around Flash Cannon having the ability to usurp DD's place on CAP 26's move set, so it should be banned. Unfortunately, the overwhelming evidence here proves quite the contrary, as the sheer utility that Doom Desire provides outclasses the immediate damage that Flash Cannon provides, especially considering that Steel is a terrible offensive type. Earth Power adequately hits almost everything we want to hit, and as stated long ago, anything else will be pressured with the threat of a Doom Desire. Dropping the utility that DD provides to hit what is essentially Tapu Lele and Drought Bao (every other Pokémon is either hit harder by Earth Power, or is not pressuring us to where we need to immediately kill it with Steel STAB) isn't worth the trade (especially with Bulletproof variants existing). Based on this and other arguments, I see no reason to deny Flash Cannon a place on CAP 26

Now for some set approvals

Moveset Submission

Name: Specially Defensive Phazer
Move 1: Whirlwind / Dragon Tail
Combining this set with LucarioOfLegends previously suggested spread, as they are almost identical and achieve the same thing. I decided to leave off Circle Throw as for what CAP 26 would like to achieve, it is a simply inferior version of both of these moves. Whirlwind has its own advantages over the previously discussed Dragon Tail, with having no immunities and not missing, while DTail inflicts chip damage, is not blocked by Magic Bounce nor is stopped by Taunt. With these in mind, I will be approving the set.
Moveset Submission:
This set focuses on self sacrificial moves. I feel that these are moves that try to achieve the same thing that U-turn does, being snag all the momentum and give it to the DD user. Why this is balanced over U-turn should be clear - you sacrifice your Pokémon in order to get this total control of momentum. It cannot be repeated several times, and therefore requires skillful and well timed play. I highlighted how useful the grasp of monentum from the opponent can be earlier so I wont repeat it, but just know this set, and pip's Perish Song set, are approved.

Moveset Submission

Move 2: Doom Desire
Move 3: Flash Cannon / Charge Beam
Move 4: Aura Sphere / Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Rock / Rapid Spin
As we all know, I despise unnecessary slashes, and while this AV set can be proven very useful, ONE move on it bugs me. Charge Beam. Charge Beam in its years of existence, has yet to be displayed as a good move in competitive play on any Pokémon what so ever. So, I do not see a reason why this move should be included on any serious competitive set. The set itself is fine, so I will not be denying it, but I will just axe Charge Beam, and arrange it as such.

Moveset Submission

Move 3: Rapid Spin
Move 4: Aura Sphere / Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Rock

In regards to Aura Sphere, I do not see the harm in this attack. It does not improve matchups that we should not be able to beat, it helps up alot in the rather frustrating mirror matchup, and in most cases, is pretty redundant with Ground STAB, so it won't be a star moveslot by any means, and won't be forcing out our STABs. So, this variant of Deck / Ronald's AV set will be approved.

And with that, I will like to place a tentative 48 Hour Warning. All of the major issues of CAP 26 has been finalized, and now, practically the only discussed move in comtempt is Metal Sound. I would like to see everyone's stance on this move, and would crave reasoning as to why this Attack is A OK for CAP 26. Remember, submissions are not closed, so if there are any moves that have not been brought up that you think deserve attention, now is the time to do so. Have a great weekend!

Last edited:
For the most part, I’m pretty chill about what’s been accepted. There are two issues I see, however. The first is Memento and Healing Wish. I don’t have an issue with either one of these moves, but I honestly am hesitant to give both. Not for any balancing reasons, but just from a sense of wanting to pick one and stick to it, like with phazing and hazard removal. I get it isn’t a perfect comparison, but my point still stands. In terms of momentum building, I personally feel Memento would be more useful, as tests show 26 pairs best with breakers afaik. If we do want to go with both, that’s totally fine. I just feel that there should be a discussion about this. The other issue is about a set I have created for the sake of discussion. It is a submission, but I am making this less because I want it and more that I feel we should discuss it.

Moveset Submission

Name: PerishTrap
Move 3: Perish Song
Move 4: Bind / Block
Ability: Levitate / Bulletproof
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
  • Doom Desire and Earth Power are our STABs.
  • Perish Song is the center of this set, pairing with Doom Desire to force switches.
  • Bind is a trapping move that is immune to taunt and magic bounce (whatever that’s worth) and does chip, but isn’t permanent. Block is permanent, but it is weak to taunt and does no chip.
I don’t exactly have a strong case for this set or against this set. I simply thought that these moves had to get brought up before we move into flavor. I personally am in favor, as PerishTrap adds another layer of checkmating. The foe cannot go into something passive without phazing if we have the PerishTrap set, because then they will lose to Perish Song. I am open to other opinions though.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
For the most part, I’m pretty chill about what’s been accepted. There are two issues I see, however. The first is Memento and Healing Wish. I don’t have an issue with either one of these moves, but I honestly am hesitant to give both. Not for any balancing reasons, but just from a sense of wanting to pick one and stick to it, like with phazing and hazard removal. I get it isn’t a perfect comparison, but my point still stands. In terms of momentum building, I personally feel Memento would be more useful, as tests show 26 pairs best with breakers afaik. If we do want to go with both, that’s totally fine. I just feel that there should be a discussion about this. The other issue is about a set I have created for the sake of discussion. It is a submission, but I am making this less because I want it and more that I feel we should discuss it.
You're right, Doom Desire does pair with wallbreakers; however, Memento is better for allowing setup sweepers to set up well. Healing Wish, on the other hand, is much more appropriate for allowing wallbreakers like Mega Medicham to play a lot more recklessly. Either way, the difference between Healing Wish / Memento and Rapid Spin / Defog is that Healing Wish and Memento don't change how CAP26 plays / affect its matchup - they quite literally kill CAP26. I think Healing Wish would realistically see more use than Memento given Doom Desire, but I don't really see why we have to pick one.

Moveset Submission

• Doom Desire and Earth Power are our STABs.
  • Perish Song is the center of this set, pairing with Doom Desire to force switches.
  • Bind is a trapping move that is immune to taunt and magic bounce (whatever that’s worth) and does chip, but isn’t permanent. Block is permanent, but it is weak to taunt and does no chip.
I don’t exactly have a strong case for this set or against this set. I simply thought that these moves had to get brought up before we move into flavor. I personally am in favor, as PerishTrap adds another layer of checkmating. The foe cannot go into something passive without phazing if we have the PerishTrap set, because then they will lose to Perish Song. I am open to other opinions though.
I don't see the point of trapping, let alone PerishTrapping. PerishTrapping on its own is an unnecessary distraction from the concept Doom Desire, while trapping on its own discredits the positioning that CAP26 can exert with Doom Desire.

Now,

Name: Jacked Worked Up Doom Desire
Move 1: Work Up / Metal Sound
Move 4: Toxic / Protect / Defog / Rapid Spin
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 40 SpA / 88 SpD / 68 Spe
First, I want to make it clear that I'm not done testing Metal Sound. However, I think Work Up has been shown to be effective and balanced enough in combination with Doom Desire, and I would like it to be approved regardless of how Metal Sound discussion plays out.

G-Luke

Moveset Submission

I am glad somebody brought up trapping AFTER Perish Song has been approved. Perish Trapping at worst is a big distraction from Doom Desire (the Perish Trapped Pokémon will die long before Doom Desire hits, as you need to trap and set up PS before DDing) and at best is a potentially broken strategy, as it can trap and eliminate almost any bulky pokemon thanks to CAP 26 being so difficult for passive Pokémon to wear down. So for both of these reasons, I am not only denying this set, but adding trapping to the list of banned moves.

Name: Worked Up Doom Desire
Move 1: Work Up
Move 4: Toxic / Protect / Rapid Spin

I read you loud and clear snake_rattler Everything here has already been heavily discussed and generally agreed upon. Gets an approval from me.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Since Work Up has been approved and given how little time we have, I think it may be safest to just deny Metal Sound/Fake Tears at this point. The moves has been pretty precarious in testing and I'm not sure there's much else to be found in the little time we have left. These are undoubtedly far more manageable picks than Nasty Plot, but I don't agree with the consensus that these are alternative to Work Up. Despite the nature of them being different from boosting they very much do provide a stronger damage boost than Work Up does, one I would consider to be a bit too much to be a healthy choice.

I know snake and possibly others haven't finished their testing of these moves just yet but I wanted to get my thoughts out on these moves in case nothing else of note turns up.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wanted to revamp and re-explore the Heal Bell Set.
Deck Knight said:
Moveset Submission
Name: Cleric of Doom (Team Support)
Move 3: Toxic / Thunder Wave / Whirlwind / Rapid Spin
Move 4: Heal Bell

- Doom Desire is the core of the concept and can set up a desirable pressure situation.
- Earth Power keeps Mega Mawile, Heatran, Smokomodo, and many other potential threats away.
- Toxic can apply pressure to incoming defensive threats like Arghonaut and Rotom-W who otherwise give CAP trouble. Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell slides into the fourth slot as another reactive utility move to assist teammates. It has different utility combined with each move in the third slot, with Toxic allowing the set to spread status while healing status from your team, Thunder Wave can cripple more offensive threats and cause crucial turn delays while Doom Desire ticks down to a strike. Whirlwind's reliable phaze can give you a favorable matchup to use Heal Bell against a new target that can't immediately threaten CAP 26 as well as do shuffle damage from hazards.
[/hide]
So I wanted to follow up on Heal Bell as a viable support option. I see Heal Bell as a different sort of reactive support to Rapid Spin. I can't tell you how many discussions I've had where the idea of a "cleric" was dismissed as a specific kind of role because there are so few viable clerics, or the Pokemon that can do it (Chansey, Cyclohm) have too many competing things to do. I think our general restraint on CAP 26 makes it an excellent candidate to become an actually viable cleric, because as a Steel type that isn't weak to Ground or Focus Blast (pick your choice) it can get a substantial number of chances to clear the status of other teammates. Arghonaut and Pyroak absolutely loathe Toxic, and CAP 26 is an excellent defensive core partner for them (resists all of Pyroak's weaknesses and most of Arghonauts). Not only that, CAP 26 can actually win status wars because it can avoid most status by virtue of its typing, while Toxic / Thunder Wave will allow it to target opposing Pokemon with an appropriate status.

As far as Thunder Wave specifically, its imperfect accuracy, inability to hit Ground types, and activation of abilities like Volt Absorb and Lightning Rod make it the most attractive option for pararlysis. Glare is far, far too strong, Stun Spore's ability to hit Ground types is troublesome. While they are fairly rare, Ground types with Fire (Smokomodo, Some Garchomp variants) and Water (Gastrodon, Mega Swampert) attacks should be able to pressure CAP 26 easily even if it's running a paralysis move.

Incidentally, I don't think Rapid Spin and Heal Bell play well on the same set. Not because they directly compete, but because Heal Bell CAP really wants to benefit from either inflicting status itself or phazing away opponents through hazards to reset the match. Heal Bell is too niche itself to enjoy use in a vacuum, but it really likes reliable ways to press your team's overall advantage like being able to status opponents or get a good turn in to reset multiple turns of an opponent spreading Toxic, Burn, or other status effects. Heal Bell + Rapid Spin on the same set just feels too reactive. The moves do different things, and CAP26 has too much offensive pressure potential to become a fully reactive Pokemon.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
So it's time for my closing act in this thread...

So Metal Sound is a little more overbearing than I expected. Usually stat dropping moves are pretty tame, but with Doom Desire incoming, Metal Sound sort of acts like Nasty Plot, just a little less effective. Honestly, I think Work Up is effective enough for CAP26 to flip the script - I fear Metal Sound might become more standard than Toxic, which shouldn't be the case. Thus, I'm not supporting Metal Sound anymore.

Anyways, just to be thorough...

Moveset Submission

Name: Trick Room
Move 3: Trick Room
Move 4: Rapid Spin / Work Up
Item: Iapapa Berry / Steelium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Nature: Quiet
  • As shown by Trick Room Slowking, delayed attacking moves are really useful for Trick Room teams. Doom Desire is no different for
  • Earth Power complements Doom Desire
  • Trick Room would good CAP26 a firm place on Trick Room, which would be interesting because CAP really hasn't made a usable Trick Room setter since Fidgit (years ago, and I don't count Snaelstrom [sorry Frost]), which has a custom ability made for it.
  • Rapid Spin for role compression or Work Up makes the mirror matchup less annoying.
  • Iapapa Berry gives CAP26 burst recovery, while Steelium Z lets CAP26 hit super hard.
  • EV Spread / Nature standard for a special Trick Room user.
CAP26 has the right blend of stats, utility, and resistances to actually use Trick Room effectively. Doom Desire can support Trick Room teams incredibly well, as the delayed damage pairs well with Trick Room abusers (which are practically wallbreakers), so imo it's a pro-concept. Other CAPs with Trick Room like Cyclohm, Snaelstrom, and Pajantom just don't cut it on these sorts of teams, so I think it's really cool that Trick Room can be counted as a truly competitive move for once.

Last edited:
Personally, I kinda want to see Metal Sound happen. Its just as pro-concept as Toxic or any other move on the list, and has unique synergy with this mon as stat dropping moves are usually awful but Doom Desire makes it work. Metal Sound means we can benefit from the bonus damage while not even being on the field, or force out a check that cant do much back (in order to hit a mon that doesnt resist). It does require 2 turns to land 50% on mons like Ferrothorn or Argho, which is not oppressive, and can also be switched out of to dodge the boosted hit. Metal Sound is also a relatively low accuracy move which can lose momentum when it misses. If you click Doom Desire then Metal Sound, you spent 2 turns with no threat of killing anything on the opposing side, and that means you should have taken 1 or 2 hits which is basically unrecoverable damage on a very slow mon. What Im saying is there is a cost for Metal Sound and you shouldnt really be able to abuse this multiple times a game.

Another reason I want it to get Metal Sound is i think the meta will be able to adapt to cap26 very easy and it will fall off quickly. Dont like bulletproof? Torns start running superpower, or aurus/leles start just using fightinium without much hassle. Dont want to get hit by doom desire ever? Start running sub on ground resistant pokemon. Start running protect on a defensive pokemon to ensure you dont get hit by dual pronged attacks. Argho and Kril start considering fighting/water STAB. Landorus considers running gravity. etc etc etc. I wouldnt mind the additional strength granted by Metal Sound with those things in mind. I would prefer Metal Sound to Fake Tears just because Metal Sound has a slight downside of accuracy and perhaps that would satiate some ppl that are less keen on the -2 spdef move.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Moveset Submission:

Name: Sacrificial Justice but with Boom this Time
Move 3: Toxic / Rapid Spin
Move 4: Explosion
Item: Wiki Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 84 SpA / 108 SpD
Nature: Sassy
  • The majority of the moves on this set are straight forward, heavily discussed, and approved. Doom Desire, Earth Power, and Toxic or Rapid Spin form the bread and butter of CAP 26.
  • Explosion's role shouldn't be controversial. Like Memento and Healing Wish, it enables a safe switch into a teammate able to take advantage of a hanging Doom Desire, but unlike these moves is able to get off chip damage.
  • Wiki Berry or Leftovers give CAP 26 passive recovery to be able to throw out attacks and utility mid-game before setting up a winning scenario late-game.
  • The EV spread is standard for HP and Defense, but tones SpA back by about 3% in order to greatly increase CAP 26's special defense for longevity, still ensuring that Doom Desire OHKOs Z-Move Tornadus-T after Stealth Rock damage.
  • A Sassy nature is used so as not to reduce Explosion's damage output.
I've been playing a lot of Excadrill-based extremely offensive playstyles lately, and one thing is usually pretty clear - every bit of chip damage matters, especially when up against Unaware Pokemon that Memento's or Healing Wish's setup opportunities won't allow you to break through. Though CAP 26 has only 50 Attack, it's enough damage off of Explosion to open up additional checkmate scenarios for you to consider, especially since CAP 26 draws in one of the most common Unaware users in the tier right now in Arghonaut. Explosion does more damage to Arghonaut than Doom Desire does, and combined they threaten about 45-50%. Now instead of having to have a checkmate partner still alive that's able to do 80+% to Argh in a turn, you have the possibility to be able to go for something that does 55-60% and still come out on top. This is a set I'd like to see as a possibility to enable CAP 26 to function flexibly outside of Bulky Offense, enabling it to play more roles on more purely offensive teams and giving it the ability to adapt a sacrifical set to whatever mode best suits the meta.

G-Luke

Ok guys! After a week of excellent discussion, we have reached a consensus on what competitive moves CAP 26 will have moving forward. In these closing remarks, I will be taking the time to break down and settle once and for all any moves brought up that have been left up in the air. In addition to this, I will be finalizing all last minute and currently pending submissions.

Moveset Submission

Trick Room. As proven by Slowking, delayed moves pair wonderfully with Trick Room, as while you use up one turn, the reward comes back hitting hard. Though I had initial doubts, concerning how CAP 26 would impact the TR playstyle on a whole, I have come to the conclusion that CAP 26's impact on the playstyle is pretty small - builds that utilize it trade the valuable snowballing aspect and immediate threat to Jumbao that Magearna brings for a much easier time against Ground types. In conclusion, Trick Room is approved.

Name: Sacrificial Justice but with Boom this Time Here comes the Boom (better name GMars)

Explosion. Nothing much to say here. It wont be breaking any counters, and is similar in play as other sacrificial moves CAP 26 already has like Healing Wish and Memento. Approved.

On Metal Sound: While this move has been initially hyped up, support and resistance alike for the move has died down. Detractors have put forward several points about how Metal Sound may give us the chance to break Pokémon we may not want to break, Arghonaut. That being said, I am still of the opinion that Metal Sound is simply not as an effective moveslot than Toxic. Unlike stat boosts which allows to to place continous pressure on opponents while being able to use other free turns more proactively (like clicking Earth Power or recovering lost health with Pain Split), stat drops are removed upon switch out, which forces CAP to waste turns repeatedly spamming Metal Sound or give up on getting the damage boost to its Doom Desire. Combined with Metal Sound's imperfect accuracy and it facing heavy competition with several other, generally more useful utility options, I will not be banning Metal Sound. Unfortunately, with no one actually submitting a set featuring Metal Sound, it will not be a mandatory option, and will be left up to individual movepool submitters if they wish to include it or not.

Moveset Submission
Name: Cleric of Doom (Team Support)
Move 3: Toxic / Thunder Wave / Whirlwind / Rapid Spin
Move 4: Heal Bell

Unapproved. Regarding Thunder Wave, I think the community has unanimously agreed that spreading oaralysis is too strong of a niche on CAP 26, and while Ground types are immune to Thunder Wave, CAP 26 has a spectacular matchup against most of the popular Ground types of the tier and usually force them out, so that is a non issue. Heal Bell is a rather tame move suggestion, but it is one that I believe does little to help us use Doom Desire, and CAP 26 already has a plethora of options at its disposal. Therefore I will be placing it amongst the list of banned attacks.

Moveset Submission

Name: Destiny's Gate (Anti-Offense Fast Attacker)
Move 1: Destiny Bond
Move 4: Pain Split / Toxic
EVs: 96 HP / 32 SpA / 252 SpD / 128 Spe [Pain Split] or 248 HP / 32 SpA / 100 SpD / 128 Spe [Toxic]
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)

Moveset Submission

Name: Recycle
Move 1: Recycle
Move 4: Toxic / Rapid Spin / Substitute
Item: Iapapa Berry

Name: Protox
Move 3: Protect
Move 4: Toxic

Moveset Submission

Name: Phazard Master (Offensive Utility Pivot)
Move 3: Dragon Tail / Whirlwind
Move 4: Rapid Spin / Toxic
Item: Steelium Z / Wiki Berry
EVs: 200 HP/220 SpA/88 Spe

Name: DOOOM (Bulky Attacker)
Move 1: Doom Desire / Flash Cannon
Move 3: Whirlwind / Dragon Tail

Moveset Submission

Name: Perish Song
Move 1: Perish Song
Move 4: Toxic / Healing Wish
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

Moveset Submission

Move 3: Rapid Spin
Move 4: Aura Sphere / Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Rock

Moveset Submission:

Name: Worked Up Doom Desire
Move 1: Work Up
Move 4: Toxic / Protect / Rapid Spin

Name: Here comes the Boom (better name GMars)

Moveset Submission

List of mandatory moves moving forward

Doom Desire
Earth Power
Flash Cannon
Dragon Tail
Whirlwind
Recycle
Protect
Toxic
Destiny Bond
Perish Song
Rapid Spin
Pain Split
Healing Wish
Memento
Explosion
Trick Room
Work Up
Aura Sphere
Substitute

List of banned moves

Paralysis inducing moves, Fire coverage stronger than 60 BP, Ice coverage over 60 BP, Electric coverage 80 BP or higher, 50% recovery moves, Nasty Plot, Leech Seed, pivoting moves, entry hazards, trapping moves, Heal Bell

Now all that is left to do is to hear out our TL SHSP on our pending list of moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)