CAP 27 Prevo - Part 2 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As decided here, we will be doing art as a stage sequentially with the other CAP stages! This means that abilities, stats, and movepool will open after our design is picked.

As always, make sure to follow the rules of the art thread below when making your posts!

-----

CAP 27 Prevo so far:

Type: Fire/Dragon

-----

Here is some information about Astrolotl that you should keep in mind when creating your pre-evolution design:

CAP 27 for reference:
Main design:

Movepool:

Level-up:

1 Mystical Fire
1 Magic Coat
1 Baton Pass
1 Knock Off
1 Pound
1 Tail Whip
1 Ember
Evo Move: Mystical Fire
12 Dragon Breath
15 Encore
19 Flame Wheel
23 Charm
26 Dragon Tail
30 Cosmic Power
34 Heal Bell
38 Fire Lash
43 Wish
48 Dragon Pulse
52 Healing Wish
57 Dragon Rush
62 Flare Blitz

--

Egg Groups: Dragon / Fairy

Egg moves:

Defog [Noibat]
Explosion [Turtonator]
Life Dew [Milotic, Hattena]
Toxic [Roselia, Salandit]
Twister [Drampa]
Yawn [Swirlix]

--

TMs:

TM03: Fire Punch
TM08: Hyper Beam
TM10: Magical Leaf
TM11: Solar Beam
TM13: Fire Spin
TM14: Thunder Wave
TM17: Light Screen
TM18: Reflect
TM19: Safeguard
TM21: Rest
TM24: Snore
TM25: Protect
TM29: Charm
TM31: Attract
TM34: Sunny Day
TM38: Will-O-Wisp
TM39: Facade
TM40: Swift
TM41: Helping Hand
TM44: Imprison
TM68: Fire Fang
TM76: Round
TM78: Acrobatics
TM81: Bulldoze
TM92: Mystical Fire
TM98: Stomping Tantrum
TM99: Breaking Swipe

--

TRs:

TR02: Flamethrower
TR12: Agility
TR14: Metronome
TR15: Fire Blast
TR20: Substitute
TR23: Spikes
TR24: Outrage
TR26: Endure
TR27: Sleep Talk
TR29: Baton Pass
TR30: Encore
TR36: Heat Wave
TR37: Taunt
TR38: Trick
TR43: Overheat
TR44: Cosmic Power
TR47: Dragon Claw
TR55: Flare Blitz
TR62: Dragon Pulse
TR82: Stored Power
TR83: Ally Switch
TR85: Work Up
TR92: Dazzling Gleam

--

Tutor:

Draco Meteor

-----

This thread is open for WIPs, comments, and final submissions for the design of the CAP 27 pre-evo. Important considerations that will come into play over the course of this thread are base stats and abilities.

Posting Rules

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but derivative art is not, and blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted.

Posting Frequency

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, thread-hogging will be moderated. If you wish to add new comments or art, but don't want to hog the thread, please consider editing your most recent post to add new content.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not bump art or beg for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the CAP Discord channel or the CAP PS Room for open real-time discussion on CAP art.
  • Images posted are subject to the following rules:
    • They must be in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
    • They must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur). Do not use the forum's 'Drop/upload image' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full-sized image, meaning:
    • The image is at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
    • The image has a file size of no larger than 200 kB.
  • Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • Out of courtesy to users with lower bandwidth, artists must include a warning when posting links to images with file sizes exceeding 500 kB.
  • The use of hide tags does not circumvent or alter any of the image posting rules.
Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Please DO post constructive feedback for artists.
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not comment that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon and therefore such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted.
  • Do not repost images from the thread. When quoting a post, remove any images.
Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, the Main Design included in image tags below that, and supporting material (if applicable) below the main design.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.
By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP Pokedex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • The image must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background. The background cannot be transparent.
  • The image must be a 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • No part of the Pokemon may be cut off by the canvas.
  • The Pokemon must be in full color.
  • The design must have a distinct outline on the entire subject in contrast to the subject and background. Colored outlines are allowed but must not obstruct the clarity of the design.
  • No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (i.e. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • The image must not include offensive or obscene imagery, or be intended to mock or insult the project or other users.
  • The image must be in .jpg, .png or .gif format.
  • The image must be at least 320 pixels and at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
  • The image must have a file size of no more than 200 kB.
  • The image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza, Ezimba.
The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
WIP

Inspiration: Pinatas and Fuses, because they are both somewhat related to fireworks and celebrations.

I started working on this mon wayyyy before submissions started, actually just when the number of prevos was announced. Thanks to everyone on discord for their feedback!

I hope to see some more WIPs soon!

Last edited:
WIP

Hello there!
My goal for this was to make a younger Astrolotl. For example, what looks like a skirt on Astrolotl has been trimmed down. I also assumed Astrolotl was based partly on a frilled necked lizard, who can close the flaps on their head, so that is what I drew on Prevo 27. I also tried to draw the flaps in the style of a mohawk to look more like a teenager. Along with that, I tried to shorten the... prongs?... on the head and only gave its "robe" 1 rhombus to show the prevo hasn't reached full magical power.

This is a WIP, so any suggestions will be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you!

Gleeboop

WIP

Because Astrolotl is based on both fireworks and amphibians, I went with a firework rocket crossed with a tadpole, with only the back legs developed (what I imagine for the posture of this thing when grounded reminds me of Kamata-kun from Shin Godzilla) - the arms are just a pair of nubby fins like rockets usually have. I also gave it some markings around the eyes like aviator goggles to go with this, along with the snout itself resembling the rocket's pointy front end.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

I decided to simply build upon the firework and axolotl elements of Astrolotl's design to create a cute, quadrupedal rocket bebe.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

I was inspired by Lectrys mentioning Cinderella as part of his(?) name submission here! I thought that the motif was too good to not build a design around, so here's my Deltarune OC--I mean, CAP 27 pre-evo design.

I knew from the beginning that I wanted to make the design look ragged and sooty, in contrast to Astrolotl's vibrant colors and cheer:
  • The body looks like it's covered in soot.
  • The claws look dilapidated.
  • The "clothes" looks washed-out.
  • The "sleeves" here are also much too ill-fitting and have holes in them.
  • The "skirt" looks tattered.
  • The expression and posture conveys timidity.
  • This design doesn't have a glimmer in its eyes yet!
I added the nubby antennae horns just for fun at first, but I think they benefit the design! They make the head look less bald. '3'

Edit: Removed the nubby horn antennae and made the head slightly smaller. I thought that the downward-pointing line of the horns contrasted with the downward-pointing lines of the rest of the drawing.

Last edited:

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

Mostly inspired by sparklers/firework fuses. Also wanted to change the color palette up a bit.

I don't know if I'll have time to make one, but here's some feedback:

Zephyr2007: Your shading is a bit weird. I'd recommend removing a lot of the highlights; they make the pokemon look sorta plastic looking rather than like a living thing. Design-wise, I like the tail fuse and the antennae scarf looking bits, but I find the overall design a bit odd; it looks scaly/furry on a pokemon that evolves into something streamlined. Color-wise, I like the choice to limit the red/orange to just the head frill.

Gleeboop: I feel like you succeeded on your goal of making a younger Astrolotl, but I think that's a bad thing TBH. It doesn't feel like a different pokemon, just a younger astrolotl.

Falchion: I like the concept, but I'm not sure I love the execution. I think you placed too much emphasis on the firework part, which is really minimal in terms of emphasis in Astrolotl's art. I just can't picture this evolving into Astrolotl; it feels like it'd evolve into a bigger rocket.

Slapperfish: This is similar to Falchion's in concept, but the four legged approach makes it look a lot more Astrolotl-like, which I like. Design-wise, I feel like maybe the legs are a bit too emphasized; it ends up looking more dog-like than axolotl-like. You might want to make the claws more fin-like, so that it feels more amphibious.

Amamama: My personal favorite. The removal of the red and shrinking of the proportions really makes this one feel like it could turn into Astrolotl. Only suggestion is to make the yellow a bit more orange to emphasize the fire typing; right now it could be mistaken as an electric mon. Also maybe a shy-er expression to emphasize the brilliant transformation it is about to experience.

Quanyails: If I were to make a concept, it'd be similar to this conceptually: a shy/hesitant pokemon turning into a magestic star on evolution. That said, I don't love the execution. I look at this and see a demon puppy, not a baby axolotl dragon. I feel like the "fur" is too emphasized; it doesn't look amphibious in the slightest. On top of that, the color scheme just doesn't feel right to me; I can't picture this turning into Astrolotl. I'd suggest trying lighter colors across the board. Overall, it feels like you went way too far into "how do I make a cinderella pokemon" and not enough into "how do I make a baby astrolotl". I feel like somewhere between your design and Amamama's is my dream design.

Mos-Quitoxe: I love this design; it's really cute. I do feel like it might be a little too baby-ish though; it feels like stage 1 of 3 more than 1 of 2. I'm not really sure how to fix that while keeping the best parts.

JAGFL: This feels like a completely different pokemon. It has very little axolotl inspiration, and next to none of it's features carry over on evolution. It's color scheme also seems too different from Astrolotl; it uses less than half the colors. I could see this being an alternate evolution path sharing a prevo, maybe, but it definitely doesn't feel like Astrolotl.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
WIP

It's the boi, Kirby Batman (as baptized by the cap discord). My idea for a pre-evo was to make Astrolot flat, so that seen from the top it would look like the sun (yknow, going from day to night). The color scheme isn't set in stone.

EDIT
32855CB7-5B35-4213-B9CF-715D4F73F478.pngSupporting doodles
0EE64CCA-A4B2-4522-841D-8FAEDF383CA6.pngOld version

Last edited:
Final Submission

its baby
A magical girl show mascot with twin-tail-shaped gills. It's holding an orb, as dragons tend to do

Last edited:

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

accumula intensifies
"It's a lovely day to walcc down the road, and if I ever stop walccing I will explode"

I'd actually attempted a shy girl execution until Quanyails pointed out a few others were attempting the concept, so when the reminder for the topic came along I made another attempt at the idea. Fireworks-based ideas like Mos-Quitoxe and Falchion's submissions definitely played some part in the idea formation for this guy, but also I considered the flares used for axolotls and thought, "You know, it kinda reminds me of Christmas crackers..." And party popper boi was born! The flared ends of the cracker form the axolotl flaps and also looks like it's trying to "explode" out of its shell, which ties into the "evolves into something faaaabulous" theme the evolution concept seems to be generally going for. Referencing Astrolotl are also the triangle patterns from Astrolotl's chest, which also makes the cracker body look festive, and some additional golden triangle borders as a nod to Heliolisk.

Supporting art
HONK HONK - The thought came to me of these guys playing by nomming each other on the tail, releasing a blast of heat and fireworks from the head region, like how one would use a party popper.

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

Pretty major update to my design, changed a bunch of stuff to better match up with Astrolotl, including adding a robe-thing to match Astrolotl’s ”clothes” and adding horns that become their streamers. Kept the weird fuse-tail thing, though, to keep a sense of individuality.

WIP

I attempt a more salamander-like pre-evo instead of a standing one. I also added some markings on its head and chest since astrolotl has them. Still not sure with the markings on its chest though.

WIP

For my design, I wanted to reuse aspects from Astrolotl in different ways! I shortened the tail and head glowy parts and changed the sleeves on the evolution to cover the legs. Overall I wanted the main contrast to be in the more chubby, rounded proportions and curled pose, whereas Astro is more lithe and splayed out. I might adjust the palette a bit or even remove the legs to differentiate them more but I’m a bit busy right now so it might be a while.
(Edit: is it fixed or even an improvement?)
Changelog (from most recent edit:)
- moved legs upward and added more support to make it look more connected to the body

Attachments

Last edited:

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
For my design, I wanted to reuse aspects from Astrolotl in different ways! I shortened the tail and head glowy parts and changed the sleeves on the evolution to a poofy skirt kind of thing. Overall I wanted the main contrast to be in the more chubby, rounded proportions and curled pose, whereas Astro is more lithe and splayed out. I might adjust the palette a bit or even remove the legs to differentiate them more but I’m a bit busy right now so it might be a while.
Um... I would HIGHLY consider changing your pose for your prevo. Like drastically change it. Your pose feels very sexual and pinup girl-esque. People shared similar thoughts of discomfort in the discord, and I think it would be wise to avoid your current approach.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Hey, shaoda! I want to second Wulf's feedback. I think your design puts disproportionate emphasis on the legs with how the "skirt" is raised and how the angle of the camera focuses on them. Additionally, the tail also seems to be in the wrong location. Judging by the shape, it should be tube-like, but judging by how it goes behind both legs, it must be flat.

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Hi shaoda! I think the pokemon itself looks too human-ish for my (and a fair number of other people's) liking! I'd suggest changing the body and legs to by more lizard like.... maybe take something like helioptile or charmeleon as reference. Coming to the positives, I love how you've done the head and especially the antennae, and the overall shading is wonderful!

Last edited:
WIP

So, here is my latest WIP. For the last one, I recieved the criticism that it looks way too much like Astrolotl, so I therefore decided to tweak it a bit to make it look more different. The reason why the tails and...horns, I think... are cut in half is because lizards can regrow their tails it they fall off. Since Astro is a fireworks magician, I wanted this to be a magic student.

All feedback is appreciated.
Thank you,

Gleeboop

Last edited:
WIP
For my design, I wanted to reuse aspects from Astrolotl in different ways! I shortened the tail and head glowy parts and changed the sleeves on the evolution to cover the legs. Overall I wanted the main contrast to be in the more chubby, rounded proportions and curled pose, whereas Astro is more lithe and splayed out. I might adjust the palette a bit or even remove the legs to differentiate them more but I’m a bit busy right now so it might be a while.
(Edit: is it fixed or even an improvement?)
Changelog:
- moved position of legs to be less human like
Shaoda, while you did fix the original bad approach with the legs and the upper body looks great, the legs this time look disattached. It honestly looks like a ghost with legs haphazardly clipped onto its tail. I would recommend attaching the legs to the body rather than the tail or removing the legs altogether. Sorry if that sounded too offensive.

Edit: I just realized what the design is supposed to look like, but it still doesn't look too good. In addition the skirt looks like cloth was tacked onto the sides and the top of the leg seems to go above the attaching point.

Last edited:

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Supporting Art

It's a baby axolotl rocket with (mostly unintentional) aspects of a frilled lizard and blue tailed skink. I tried not to stray too far off from the primary elements of Astrolotl's design, while still throwing in my own bit of flair, and I'm definitely happy with how it turned out!

Big thanks to the peeps over on Discord for helping me get this design down pat!

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Sorry if the color is weird. my phone likes to display colors really awkward when i draw. ideally it's supposed to be the same shades of colors as its evo.
Based on a nerd. gave it nerd glasses and nerd hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)