CAP 28 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

Mawnolisk

Pronounced: "MAW-no-lisk"

Monolith/obelisk, Maw, basilisk, and the -lisk suffix used in the names some Zerg, the famous bug-like monsters in StarCraft.

Final Submission

Pseudosaur

Pseudo (fake or faux) + saur (lizard as in Tyrannosaur)

Pronounced "SOO-doe-sore”

But, honestly, I think the best I've seen so far is Mockjaw (brilliant)

Last edited:
Slapperfish's name Abdomaw is definitely my favorite so far. It has a nice flow while still being easy to discern its origin, and it really gets to the core of what CAP28 is. Emphasizes Bug over Dragon too.

I also like Zetasniper's Drakannon and Zneon's Dracoxide. While they do emphasize Dragon over Bug, they sound awesome and flow very well.
pokexchespin's Carabdomen is also a clever name, though it does take some explanation.

Here are a few other ideas of mine:

WIP

Abdoblast

Abdomen + Blast
May change spelling to Abdublast so the middle doesn't get mispronounced as "doe"

Fumifang
Fume + Fang

Drakdumen
Draconic/Drake + Abdomen
My earlier idea.

WIP

Coleopdra

Combination of coleoptera and dragon

Came up with cimexra when i first saw the design but realized cimex is not pronounced the way i used to. Coleoptera is the scientific name of beetles and dra is from dragon

Pronunciation: kaw•lee•awp•dra

WIP

Bombadare

Bomba from bombadier beetles, but replace the end with “Dare,” an act of courage or strength. I feel like that fits the dragon element of the typing without alluding TOO directly. I’ll fix the formatting and elaborate more when I’m am at my computer next, my phone won’t let me bold for some reason.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP (2/3)

Zillade

Zilla + Fusillade

Pronounced: zuh-laad

I think the tail and colour scheme looks very much like 1998's Godzilla, and as such wanted to try one that referenced it.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

Draceetle

Draconic + Beetle

Pronounced: drah-kee-dull

Fairly simple, but i like how it refers to both aspects of the Bug-Dragon design.

WIP (3/3)

Drazaris

Pronounced: Dra-ZAW-ris

It's a combination of Dragon, to reference its Dragon typing, Ozaenini, yet another taxonomical tribe of bombardier beetles and the latin expression Cavum Oris, which is used to refer to the mouth orifice and, in this case, to 28's tail maw.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final submissions for names are now open! Make sure you follow the rules and format in the OP exactly when making your final submission post!

This also counts as your 48 hour warning before the thread closes.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Final Submission

Chombardier

A combination of "Chomp" + "Bombardier beetle".

Pronounced: "chom-buh-DEER"

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Final Submission

Mawxius

A combination of "Maw" + "Noxious".

Pronounced: "MOK-shuhs"

It is nowhere near as splendidly genius as "Gub Nogard", but I must do what I must do.

Final Submission

Mortillar

Mort (french for dead/death) / Mortar + Pillar / Caterpillar

Pronounced : More-TILL-er

CAP 28 is a mortar-like pillar of a bug. This name gets that across i feel.

Final Submission

Mockjaw

A combination of "Mock" + "Lockjaw".

Pronounced: "MOCK-jaw"

Its a really easy name to say and understand. It has a big jaw that is spewing chemical gas, and lockjaw is a toxin-related infection that is mouth-related (causes jaw contraction). Lockjaw can be given by insect bites. And the "mock jaw" aspect refers to it being a fake mouth.

Last edited:

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Drargon

A combination of "Dragon" and "argon", a famously neutral gas.

Pronounced: "DRAR-gone"

Neutralizing Gas is this Pokemon's most notable feature, so much so that it's more important than the typing itself. "Argon" is close in spelling to dragon to begin with, so Drargon is easy to pronounce, natural, and simple.

Final Submission

Drazaris

Dragon + Ozaenini (a taxonomical tribe of bombardier beetles) + Cavum Oris (oral cavity in Latin)

Pronounced: "Dra-ZAH-ris"

While the Dragon part is self-explanatory, Ozaenini refers to CAP28's origin as a bombardier beetle, while Cavum Oris refers to its tail maw. It's an odd name, but it's one that's got a nice flow to it.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP (2/3):

Bightymite

Spoonerism of "mighty bite"/pun on "bitey mite".

Pronounced: "BYE-tee-MITE"
IPA: baɪtimaɪt

Final Submission

Bombaustic

Bombadier/Bombastic + Caustic

Pronounced: bom-boss-tik

Bomb's mostly associated with Bombadier. Bombastic is an adjective describing someone whos "gaseous" or "big-headed," so theres a stretched connection. Caustic burn is chemical burn.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Final Submission

Draceetle

Draconic + Beetle

Pronounced drah-kee-tull

Simple mix between the two main elements of the design, while it does bring out the dragon part first, i found it more fitting than the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)